The only scenario in which I could name my favorite Supremes song is someone holding a gun to my head and demanding I give an answer or get a bullet in my brain. That answer might be "A Breath Taking Guy".

To my ears the song is perfect. I love the lead, the background vocals, the lyrics and the music. I love so much of the stuff Smokey was producing during this period of time, perhaps my favorite period for Smokey productions. The song also seems to be a fan favorite.

So what happened? Why do you think this failed to be the song that put the Supremes in the conversation with their hit making label mates at the time? It was their best Hot 100 showing up until that time, but certainly no hit. It didn't even have an r&b showing? Do you think, as some have suggested, that the Supremes and Smokey combo just didn't possess the chemistry of, say, his pairing with Mary Wells? Is it possible that because Smokey did seem to have a great way of producing female singers with lower tones to their voices, that the song would've worked better with Mary Wilson on lead as opposed to Diana? Or do you think the song just didn't work period?