Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  21.1 KB
I found this version of "Phyllis" on You-Tube, uploaded by our own Chess 1458. I have the original 45 from 1959 [[Mercury 71582), which has the only released version, until this alternate take came out on CD [[probably fairly recently).

Here is the link to its You-Tube page:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG0EIoJKBZI&feature=related

This alternate take is much slower in tempo than the 45 version, and so, Major's vocal is quite different, as is Curtis Mayfield's haunting guitarplaying. You can hear all The Impressions singing beautiful harmony [[Curtis, Jerry Butler, Sam Gooden and The Brooks Brothers). The original 45 cut is a great fast mid-tempo Chicago faster "popcorn" sound, with great singing and guitar playing as well. But, I've listened to that 100s of times. And, hearing this new, slower version, is like finding a new, super, classic Chicago Soul cut [[something that I'd never expect).

Here is a scan of the 45:

Name:  Phyllis2.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  14.7 KB

For Chess 1458: The acoustics sound similar to The Impressions' VJ recordings. Riley Hampton DID some arrangements for VJ Abner Records in 1958 and 1959. The acoustics sound familiar to me [[very much like Universal Sound Studios). But, the "Music Director" on the Mercury Record was listed as David Carroll. I remember seeing his name on several Chicago recorded Mercury releases. I guess he was their Chicago A&R man during 1959 to 63 or '64. He may have been the arranger, or just executive producer.

Major Lance was only a teenager when this was recorded. He was one of the featured dancers on local Chicago TV dance show, "Jim Lounsberry's Hop". The record had some sales locally [[I bought it), but didn't get any distribution outside The Chicago Area. With such a great sound, you'd think that Lance [[and also The Impressions) wouldn't have had to wait until 1962 to have their next releases.