[REMOVE ADS]

thomas96 Guest

Save the Children Concert

Does anyone have a full copy of this footage? Never understood why it [[or the documentary about it) was never released on dvd or vhs.

There is a 2 hour version with documentary footage and performances by the Temptations, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Bill Withers, the Staple Singers , Isaac Hayes and others. It is titled Save the Children. And there's a shorter, edited version titled Brothers and Sisters.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-17-2013 at 11:31 PM.

thomas96 Guest
    Any idea where I could find either of those? I've looked everywhere and found no information of either of the two you mentioned on either dvd or tape.

If you don't mind "pirated" copies, check out a site called, iOffer. I got my copy from there and while not pristine, is better than nothing at all! Good luck!

Good luck is right when buying on IOffer. Make sure you ask questions first. Some of the ads on IOffers are old and the sellers are no longer doing business. I got mine from another video collector in Memphis. I only paid $10.00. Let us know how it i turns out.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-19-2013 at 11:55 AM.

I was hoping that with the dvd releases of SOUL TO SOUL and WATTSTAX that this film might be next, but no such luck.

If it hasn't happened already, I believe Nelson George was hosting a showing of the film at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center.

thomas96 Guest
    Thanks, I found one on iOffer that seems good. It's on it's way, so I'll see what happens.

are The Supremes still cut out?

The Supremes are not in Save the Children. I know they were filmed, but something happened. Wasn't Valerie Simpson at that event as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    The Supremes are not in Save the Children. I know they were filmed, but something happened. Wasn't Valerie Simpson at that event as well?
    In an old EBONY, I saw a photo of Valerie onstage at the PUSH Expo with [[I think) the Jackson 5. I can't recall if it was from the year that SAVE THE CHILDREN was filmed.

Re the Supremes, in her second book, Mary wrote that they had performed during the SAVE THE CHILDREN filming and received a good response from the crowd. But they didn't know that they weren't included in the film until it was actually released.
    Last edited by reese; 08-20-2013 at 03:05 PM.

It was Jean, Mary and Lynda. They performed Up The Ladder and Stoned Love. They were cut because of timing and of all the performers there they didn't have a current hit. I was hoping this was an unedited copy with them in it

maybe I'm mixing concerts. i read on here recently that MJL's performance was cut because of lukewarm audience reaction. this was a younger, more black audience but the girls did their typical "white" cabaret show - doing Cabaret for one thing. too many MOR songs and not enough hits. audience wasn't into it and therefore the segment was cut.

i'm not sure if this was PUSH or STC or if those are one in the same

[QUOTE=sup_fan;184974]maybe I'm mixing concerts. i read on here recently that MJL's performance was cut because of lukewarm audience reaction. this was a younger, more black audience but the girls did their typical "white" cabaret show - doing Cabaret for one thing. too many MOR songs and not enough hits. audience wasn't into it and therefore the segment was cut.

i'm not sure if this was PUSH or STC or if those are one in the same[/QUOTe/]

That sounds possible. The audience was mostly young and urban, but Sammy Davis Jr, Roberta Flack and Nancy Wilson were all well received [except for Sammy who was booed at first] and they didn't perform for kids. I assume the concert segments took place over different days and it depends on what type of crowd attended the Supremes' show.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-21-2013 at 04:36 PM.

thomas96 Guest
    That sounds possible. The audience was mostly young and urban, but Sammy Davis Jr, Roberta Flack and Nancy Wilson were all well received and they didn't perform for kids. I assume the concert segments took place over different days and it depends on what type of crowd attended the Supremes' show.
    I heard that Sammy Davis jr was getting booed because of some recent comments he had made about some political topic, and that his estate didn't want it being released. Is his performance shown in the 'documentary' that has been being sold?

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    I heard that Sammy Davis jr was getting booed because of some recent comments he had made about some political topic, and that his estate didn't want it being released. Is his performance shown in the 'documentary' that has been being sold?
    Sammy Davis Jr. was jeered and booed at that Chicago Expo alledgedly because he had been pictured in Jet Magazine hugging then President Nixon. I think Sammy Davis Jr. stayed over night at the Nixon White House and couldn't stop talking about it. He was called an "Uncle Tom" or "Uncle Sammy" by many, especially blacks who disliked Nixon. He was booed because it hurt him that he was being rejected by his own people. But someone came to his rescue and chastised those booing and Sammy performed his little ass off and eventually won the crowd over. They gave him a standing ovation and he cried. Some of this is shown in Save the Children. I doubt if his estate has that kind of power to keep a film out of circulation. But maybe they could.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-21-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Please let me know if ioffer has a decent copy. I would love to see the film after all these years.

I can confirm that at least Cindy Birdsong was there. I tripped over her trying to find my seat for one of the shows. Sammy was booed and for the reason that Kamasu said. It was Sammy's awesome performance that turned it all around. My God, what a Pro he was.

On the soundtrack album, they included some of the boos for Sammy. Then he says something like "Disagree with my politics if you want. I would like to sing." Then he went into a killer version of I'VE GOTTA BE ME.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    How did the IOffer lead turn out Thomas?

thomas96 Guest
    How did the IOffer lead turn out Thomas?
    So sorry... I forgot to let everyone know. I got it in about 3 days [[cost me $20) and it was the 2 hour documentary version, not the shorter 'Brothers and Sisters' one. Quality was great, but its post-edit so all the Supremes stuff is cut out and some Marvin songs and other performances, but still great. I really really would love to see the original film from all the cameras filming it. Probably had a camera locked on Jamerson through all of Marvin's performance. I wonder who owns all that now, if it still even exists.

The Supremes were never in the film to begin with. Good it worked out for you.

thomas96 Guest
    The Supremes were never in the film to begin with. Good it worked out for you.
    Yeah I know, I was just saying its the same version of the film that was made after being edited. It's not someone who found the footage and made their own copy from all the original footage. The same documentary version that was shown in theaters.

I've ordered it, too, along with a 6 DVD-set on Smokey Robinson from the same seller.

The music is great but I must say the image is not that good. Too bad, seeing the exceptionality of that event.

supremester Guest
    All of my experiences with ioffer have been great. This is the first I've heard of negs on that site. They should be reported and stopped.

Supremester, my comment was not for iOffer, where I got some fantastic documents [[Stevie Wonder on Soul! in '72 being one of them) but for the copy of "Save The Children" that I got, that was very average imagewise.

Besides, I got from the same seller a 6DVD-set which looks very atttractive. The three of them that I watched were "Smokey on Soul Train" [[all of his appearances), a compilation of all this clips and a '72 TV show with the Temptations, Stevie Wonder, the Supremes and Fran Jeffries. Here is a part of this show :

Comes to find out that the J5 performed a whole concert set, not surprised cause theres too many hints that they performed more songs. Like when they take a bow in the footage before they perform IWYB/ABC, indicating that they just finished a song [[probably their usual concert opening in '72 "Brand New Thing"). Theres pictures of them singing "The Love you Save" too, cause you can see them do the "STOP" formation. And last theres pictures of Jermaine out in front of the stage & the rest of the J5 lined up in the back, probably him singing one of his solo songs.

The Chi-Lites even performed & i'd love to see the whole performance, they have a clip of them singing "Oh Girl" and it has a raw sound to it, it's really amazing. I'd hope that one day Harry Weinger/Hip O Select would be able to put together a CD box set for the whole concert, this needs to be officially released. Someone who recently watched it at the Apollo did a review on it -------> http://soultrain.com/2013/09/09/clas...-the-children/

It was a whole week,i was a little kid at the time,my mother took me with her,one night ,it was The Supremes and The Temptations,Smokey Robinson introduced them,they open with T.C.B.it was a great show,i'm 100% sure someone has a copy with The Supremes and The Temptations Together,from the show,somewere,Valerie Simpson set was THE BEST,i would also LOVE to see her performance,from The Save The Children,aka PUSH EXPO,or BLACK EXPO on DVD,Please stay positive
    Last edited by REDHOT; 09-27-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Redhot
    You are right that was JML lineup I remember it was on TV twice so there has to be some footage somewhere or it was recorded over. Could that be when they were at the Coconut Grove here in Los Angeles?