[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diana Brings Gloria Gaynor On Stage & They Duet I WILL SURVIVE

What a wonderful surprise at the end of Diana's concert tonight. Diana came back on stage and said that she got an e-mail from Gloria Gaynor about I WILL SURVIVE. She said that Gloria was backstage. We, the audience, seemed not to believe her and she said something like, "No, really, she is here".

Gloria came out and Diana handed her the microphone and Gloria sang her hit. Then Diana wanted to join in, but there was only one microphone and Gloria wasn't givin' it up. Someone off stage handed Diana a mike and then the two of them sang the song together. Then Diana's background singers moved up front and they joined in too.

It was quite a magical moment and the whole thing was put together quickly. Gloria is from Newark and so this is probably a one time thing. Many people were recording and I am sure someone will post it on You Tube.

We usually sit in front orchrestra for concerts and plays but got the tickets a little late and had to settle for box seats. But they turned out to be better seats because we could see Diana up close and the entire audience too. So we got two shows in one. Diana continually turned up the lights to see the faces of the audience.

The set was basically the same as mentioned in other threads except that there was a solo sax of Look of Love which she joined and sang to after she made a gown change. Her voice was excellent on the Supremes songs. I don't know why anyone would go see a Supremes tribute show or even former Supremes singing these hits while they can still see the voice on the records do them herself. The clarity of her voice was much better on the Supremes songs than on some of hers, like THE BOSS.

I can't ever remember Diana singing SOMEDAY in concert. I guess we can each thing of a reason why she doesn't sing it, but I wish she would. It was my favorite Supremes song.

Hopefully, the Gloria/Diana Survive duet will be posted soon. Loved the show.

Loved the show. In another thread I said that Gladys Knight talks too much in concerts. Diana doesn't talk enough.

She seems to be appearing everywhere. If she comes to your area, try not to miss her

It's good that Diana and Gloria got together. During her Boston show, Diana mentioned getting an email from Gloria. Nice to know it wasn't just stage patter.

Here is what I found so far...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVdEMVw23AM

Thanks for posting the clip. I'm sure there will be more as the day goes on.
    Last night was magical.

It's good that Diana did this. Gloria had not been happy, feeling the song had been -shall we say, appropriated.

can someone repost the video - it is no longer there.

or have a link to where to download it from.

Well that didn't last long. Whoever posted it made it private. There were a lot of cameras in the audience last night, so I am sure someone else will post it

smark21 Guest
    Here's a clip, taken from the balcony.

Thanks. This shot shows the audience having a party. And you can also see Diana standing behind Gloria and motioning with her hand for someone to bring her a mike. I just watched another very close up video of last nights concert on YouTube. I hope they also recorded this segmant and post it.

Awesome. Thanks Milven and Smark. Let's find more clips as they come up. Another landmark occasion. So much for the tales about Gloria Gaynor being unhappy; another one bites the dust.

It would have been disrespecful to come to Gloria Gaynor's town/state and sing her song and not acknowledge her.

Perhaps but who knew GG was even living in Newark? I think it was very gracious of Diana to do that and I'd think the same of any artist doing that for another...

It's Gloria's song so its the appropriate thing to do.

oh please, Gaynor launched her career with disco cover versions of "Never Can Say Goodbye" and "Reach out I'll Be There"... Gaynor isn't even on the same ladder as Diana Ross...

smark21 Guest
    Here's a clip of the full performance from a better vantage point:

What an electric moment. That is great.

There it is. The magic. I almost felt the same tingle that I felt last night watching it live and surprised and shocked. I'm gonna record it and save it just in case it is taken down again. Thanks for finding it.

methinks the diva is truly mellowing! perhaps a guest appearance by mary is not absolutely out of the question. great stuff! go girls!

Very enjoyable. Thanks Smark.

Great! My goodness I think youre right she could be mellowing. Standing next to Mary at Motown Musical and having Gloria share the stage. I couldnt hear what she said about Gloria/intro-anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Great! My goodness I think youre right she could be mellowing. Standing next to Mary at Motown Musical and having Gloria share the stage. I couldnt hear what she said about Gloria/intro-anyone?
    It's not in the video above, but just before the video starts she said something about getting an e-mail from Gloria Gaynor. What I think I hear at the beginning of the video is "I got a feeling that you're waiting [[or waving) for Gloria Gaynor. And so, I don't know how to do this, but, my [[non-understandable) she's here !!"

Quote Originally Posted by thisoldheart View Post
    methinks the diva is truly mellowing! perhaps a guest appearance by mary is not absolutely out of the question. great stuff! go girls!
    I would truly love to see Diana next to Mary who is next to Cindy. There can't be anyone here who doesn't wish that, be they a Diana, Mary or Cindy partisan. At this point, we all must be realistic. For how much longer will this particular fantasy be possible?
    Last edited by thanxal; 08-18-2013 at 12:23 AM.

She mentions the e-mail from Gloria in the video posted.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    She mentions the e-mail from Gloria in the video posted.
    I better put on some hearing aids. I just listened to it again and it was clear that that is what she said and not "I got a feeling you're waiting for Gloria Gaynor"

But I did hear it correctly last night when I was in the audience and posted it correctly in my first post above.

I think it really is time for hearing aids

It is hard to recall things when you are in the moment. I am one of those people who can't recall any details when I am at a concert when it is an act that I really like. I get lost in the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    It's good that Diana did this. Gloria had not been happy, feeling the song had been -shall we say, appropriated.
    Thats real interesting. You have the best gossip on this here forum.

Roberta

Not sure if its exactly the same clip; it seemed a bit clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Not sure if its exactly the same clip; it seemed a bit clearer.
    It's the same link that Smark posted above, but it does look clearer and closer than when I watched the clip yesterday. Maybe the YouTube Poster replaced his video with another.

But now you can clearly see Diana's "Patti La Belle" moment. Diana gives Gloria the mike, walks away, then comes back behind Gloria to sing with Gloria or share the mike, but Gloria won't give it up. Diana motions for another mike to be brought out and the magic of the event continues.

I wonder what Gloria said in her e-mail to Diana. Don't matter. Got the two of them together and I am so glad that it was posted so all can enjoy the moment.

It was OK, but it was not like it was Diana Ross and the angels from heaven. Good God, all of this wetting of panties, Depends and drawers over a little cameo appearance that was unrehearsed and just a bit awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    It was OK, but it was not like it was Diana Ross and the angels from heaven. Good God, all of this wetting of panties, Depends and drawers over a little cameo appearance that was unrehearsed and just a bit awkward.
    Kam, I`m pretty sure there are only one set of wet underthings and they have remained offline and away from this thread.

But it is a happy, feelgood time when any of these people from the past get together and rejoice briefly in something they had in common. And also when they so quickly demolish the foolish rumours started by sensationalist books and unhappy people.

But it is a happy, feelgood time when any of these people from the past get together and rejoice briefly in something they had in common. And also when they so quickly demolish the foolish rumours started by sensationalist books and unhappy people.
    Hard not to co-sign to that. Well done--thanks Jobeterob.

Kam, I`m pretty sure there are only one set of wet underthings and they have remained offline and away from this thread.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Just keep things in perspective. We don't know what was said between the two singers or what happened backstage. Will admit Diana Ross is not used to sharing her stage with anyone but her musicians and singers and it's unusual to see her onstage with another vocalist, who is used to headlining herself. But let's not get carried away wishin' and hoping for a KUMBA YA sing along with Mary and Cindy anytime soon.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-18-2013 at 05:36 PM.

lol atcha Kamasu,Diana did share her stage with former Supreme Lynda Laurence a few years back,singing I Will Servive,Please stay positive

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Just keep things in perspective. We don't know what was said between the two singers or what happened backstage. Will admit Diana Ross is not used to sharing her stage with anyone but her musicians and singers and it's unusual to see her onstage with another vocalist, who is used to headlining herself. But let's not get carried away wishin' and hoping for a KUMBA YA sing along with Mary and Cindy anytime soon.
    I agree. Mary won't have any songs to sing with Diana anyway cuz Mary never had any hits.

I think here is where you type: LOL.

LOL!..
    and it's not Gloria Gaynor's song... did Tommy James have a nervous breakdown when Billy Idol had a hit with "Mony Mony"... or The Rolling Stones had a single hit with "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" by The Temptations?... Gaynor, as I already noted, made her early career with cover versions of hits by others..she's just lucky that Motown foolishly didn't release the hot dance 12 inch remixes of "I Will Survive" in America, as they did in the UK and elsewhere..

Renewed interest in Gloria Gaynor.

I didn't know she did this.

How dare Gloria sing Diana's song!

Miss Ross should have sent her an e mail!...lol..horrific version of "Stop! In The Name Of Love"...even Mary Wilson's version is better than THIS!!
    Last edited by Jimi LaLumia; 08-18-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Wonders never cease!

I enjoy these light hearted comments.

But truly, I acknowledge some of these people, like Martha Reeves, can't sing anymore; none of them are at their prime; some of them have made financial mistakes that have left them in distress; all of them have done a thing or two they regret; some have errant children.

In the end they are all people, just like us ~ some good days, some bad days, some busy days, some lonely, annoyed at times, happy others.

But it sure is fun when they relive the old days, get together again, remember when they were kids in a bus, working at Hudsons, backing up backgrounds for carfare, struggling to get a hit or a solo career.

And for us to get to see Gloria Gaynor & Diana Ross together, to see Berry and Diana On Broadway, to see the Tempts and Diana get Lifetime Achievement Awards from Grammys ~ all that kind of stuff ~ is heart warming, fun, a good time.
    Last edited by jobeterob; 08-19-2013 at 11:56 AM.

I agree with you Jobetrob,life is too short.Please stay positive

A new video has surfaced.

Excellent!! Thanks Skooldem1!

I enjoy these light hearted comments.

But truly, I acknowledge some of these people, like Martha Reeves, can't sing anymore; none of them are at their prime; some of them have made financial mistakes that have left them in distress; all of them have done a thing or two they regret; some have errant children.

In the end they are all people, just like us ~ some good days, some bad days, some busy days, some lonely, annoyed at times, happy others.

But it sure is fun when they relive the old days, get together again, remember when they were kids in a bus, working at Hudsons, backing up backgrounds for carfare, struggling to get a hit or a solo career.

And for us to get to see Gloria Gaynor & Diana Ross together, to see Berry and Diana On Broadway, to see the Tempts and Diana get Lifetime Achievement Awards from Grammys ~ all that kind of stuff ~ is heart warming, fun, a good time.
    I respectfully disagree with you my dear job exterior. The First Lady of Motown records Dr Martha Reeves still sounds real great and can put on a show that is the best live show around todays. Dont get me wrong I like Diane Ross but Diane dont sound as good as Martha Reeves IMO.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Sorry I meant my dear jobeterob I was discussing exterior flowers with my worker and I mis typed. My sincerest apology.

fondly.

Roberta

Thanks for posting Roberta even if I got referred as something new!

I thought of you when posting and considered deleting any reference to any name, Martha included. I knew you wouldn't think highly of my post.

But my real point was no matter which of these oldtime artists we view as having declined somewhat, we still love them the MOST and that is heart warming and enjoyable to see.

Your love for Martha is virtuous and I admire you for it and for stick by her so thoroughly and respectfully. Lessons need to be taken from it!

Thanks for posting Roberta even if I got referred as something new!

I thought of you when posting and considered deleting any reference to any name, Martha included. I knew you wouldn't think highly of my post.

But my real point was no matter which of these oldtime artists we view as having declined somewhat, we still love them the MOST and that is heart warming and enjoyable to see.

Your love for Martha is virtuous and I admire you for it and for stick by her so thoroughly and respectfully. Lessons need to be taken from it!
    thank you my dear you are a good man.

Roberta

Yes, it was a "little" cameo apprearance and the unique thing about this clip is that it evidently was unrehearsed and a bit awkward. That is the joy of the clip and any live broadway or concert appearance. Anything can happen. It was entertaining to watch Diana try to share the mike and then ask someone off stage for her own.

Diana has been performing from town to town for months and we have been discussing the songs that she sang and did not sing. Finally, here was something new, and unique to discuss and probably a one time happening.

Yes, Gloria's appearing on stage did excite me. The first thing I did when I got home was to get on these boards and share this unique happening.

I never even thought to check to see if I "wet my panties, depends, or drawers over a little cameo performance that was unrehearsed and just a bit awkward.

Diana Ross reigns Supreme at NJPAC

By Tris McCall/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger
    August 19, 2013 at 11:51 AM

William Perlman/The Star-Ledger
    "Are you too young to remember these songs?"

Diana Ross asked the audience at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center. Her sequined dress glittering in the stage lights, Ross smiled as she put the question to the multiethnic crowd. She knew well that if there was anyone present who could not sing every line in the parade of hits she presented Friday night, he or she was likely to be swept away by the disco beat, the pop-soul bounce, the excitement of elegance and glamour in action.

Endearing -- and adorable -- as ever at 69, Ross held the stage for 1 hour and 25 minutes, and somehow managed to shoehorn four costume changes into the show without upsetting its balance. She brought back the controlled sizzle of her dance floor hits, reconstructed the drama of her soundtrack songs and located the sprightliness and optimism in her adamantine classics with the Supremes. She saved the best treat for last, too, welcoming onstage Newark's own Gloria Gaynor for a full-band charge through "I Will Survive," a song granted eternal life by a thousand karaoke bars. Bashful at first, Gaynor quickly got into the swing of Ross' 12-piece band. By the end of the first chorus, she and the main attraction were arm in arm, testifying to their resilience and the lasting impact of the sound they made in the '60s and '70s.

Ross has earned the right to sing Gaynor's signature number. Her voice has weathered the years well, and if she was a bit breathless by the end of an energetic concert, she never lost tune or time. Ross is, above all else, professional, and she knows how to disguise fatigue by pacing herself, taking strategic breaks and coquettishly fanning her face. The singer poured herself into a smoldering rendition of Billie Holiday's "Don't Explain" and brought down the house. "Theme from Mahogany" had less verve, but Ross' poise -- and her ability to bring to life the romantic ambivalence of the narrator -- carried the song anyway.

"Mahogany" was a film about a woman attempting to maintain her equilibrium in the midst of romantic turmoil, and Ross, a sharp-eyed observer of the hazards of love, was a perfect fit for the lead.

In many of her best songs, Ross plays the buttoned-down, serious woman surprised by the intensity of her emotion. Love is something to be wary of -- it blindsides the unprepared, and teaches control freaks who's "The Boss." Sometimes Ross succumbs to its tidal tug, sometimes she stands askance and sometimes she's just bemused. Even on "Upside Down," the sweatiest dance song she sang at NJPAC, Ross remains formal: "Respectfully, I say to thee, I'm aware that you're cheating," she tells a wayward lover. A modern star would not be so polite.

Ross, who began singing in the '50s, is part of a gentler generation of female pop vocalists -- artists forced to be demure by cultural expectations and the demands of the marketplace. She remains elegant to a fault. In all other ways, her concert felt surprisingly current. Robin Thicke, Daft Punk and Bruno Mars have brought '70s-inspired dance music back on the charts with force. The playful strut and subtle insight of the Supremes records continue to influence innumerable pop acts. "Love Child," a 1968 hit that confronts unplanned pregnancy and a concert highlight, was forthright enough to have been written yesterday.

Ross delivered it all with a mixture of self-possession, theatricality and provocation that has influenced two generations of pop stars, including Beyoncé, Rihanna and Mars. Mark down Friday's concert as another in a strong NJPAC summer that has featured many of the legendary forerunners [[Aretha Franklin; Earth, Wind & Fire; Kings of the Mic; Barry Manilow) of the bestselling artists who play down the road at the Prudential Center. It has been a forceful reminder that pop, at its best, is far from ephemeral.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/musi..._at_njpac.html

"'Mahogany' was a film about a woman attempting to maintain her equilibrium in the midst of romantic turmoil,"

Holy cow! What film was this?!

Luckily, the version I saw cut out the equilibrium and went for a back-drop of hideously designed clothes, a melting candle, and a mink vest.