[REMOVE ADS]

Review: Diana Ross delights fans in San Francisco.

Review: Diana Ross delights fans in San Francisco

By Jim Harrington
    jharrington@bayareanewsgroup.com

Posted: 08/07/2013 01:42:00 AM PDT
    Updated: 08/07/2013 01:42:01 AM PDT

Diana Ross review Aug 6 2013
    There's something to be said for efficiency.
    Diana Ross was only onstage Tuesday at the SHN Golden Gate Theatre in San Francisco for some 80 minutes. Yet, she still managed to pack plenty of punch -- as well as many of the best songs in popular music history -- into the evening.
    That's not to say that she played everything fans wanted to hear. It would take something like 80 hours, not 80 minutes, to completely cover all of her many bases. Still, Ross used her time quite wisely and fans appeared to leave the building feeling like they'd gotten their money's worth.

Plus, they still could've caught a movie and been home before the baby sitter had to leave. So check local listings before heading out to see Ross on Wednesday at the same venue. [[Diana Ross concert tickets, priced at $70-$265, are available at www.shnsf.com.)
    I was told that the show would start promptly at 8 p.m. -- and that was no joke. The houselights actually dimmed at 7:57 p.m. It was over by 9:21 p.m.
    During that time, Ross managed to strut through four glamorous wardrobes and some 20 triumphant tunes. She was a spectacular diva throughout — although, presumably one who wanted to be in bed by 10 p.m.

She kicked off the show in fitting fashion, announcing her entrance with the Nile Rodgers-and-Bernard Edwards-crafted disco classic "I'm Coming Out" from 1980's smash "Diana." She appeared alongside a 12-piece band, featuring a four-piece horn section and three backing vocalists, wearing a sensational red dress and a matching bow-like wrap. She looked like a Christmas present on heels.
    She quickly continued through "More Today Than Yesterday," the old Spiral Starecase tune that Ross has turned into one of her anthems, before launching into the really good stuff — a five-song set of Supremes songs.

The Supremes numbers were the highlight of the show. Ross, who was elected into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the Supremes, brought back a flood of classic Motown memories as she crooned through, in order, "My World Is Empty Without You," "Where Did Our Love Go," "Baby Love," "Stop! In the Name of Love" and "You Can't Hurry Love."
    All of those songs are dated -- but in a good way. It's absolutely delicious how they evoke an era when magic was routinely delivered in three minute doses on the AM radio. And Ross certainly did justice to all of these legendary songs.
    It was amazing how many wardrobe changes she worked into such a relatively brief set. The red number gave way to a sparkly blue evening gown, which she wore while singing the still-potent former chart-topper "Upside Down" [[also from "Diana") and the fun "Ease on Down the Road" [[from the 1975 Broadway musical, "The Wiz").

She'd then don a wild feathery yellow dress, which seemed tailor made for a big dance routine with Big Bird, as she nestled into the jazzy portion of the show. She did a fine job with the Burt Bacharach and Hal David composition "The Look of Love," which was originally made famous by Dusty Springfield, and even better with "Don't Explain" [[which she recorded for the soundtrack to her Billie Holiday biopic, 1972's "Lady Sings the Blues").
    The last outfit of the night was a lively orange gown, which she wore while bringing the set to a close with the fan favorites "Theme from Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)," "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and "I Will Survive."
    Well, at least it appeared that would be the last outfit — as well as the last few songs. I don't believe that Ross originally intended to come back onstage, yet this exuberant crowd simply demanded more.

Ross eventually agreed to do one more, appearing onstage in a simple black blouse and matching pants -- which looked like an outfit she'd wear back to the hotel. She was tired, and asked for a chair to be brought out onstage. Yet, she still managed to summon up the energy to sing "I Love You [[That's All That Really Matters)" for her fans.
    And the feeling was most definitely mutual.

BAM !!!! there it is !!!!
    Good Show!!! Good Review and thank you for posting!!!

Thanks, David for posting the review of last night's show!
    I am going into San Francisco this afternoon & attending this evening's show.

Diana sounds great in this clip.

Check this clip out. This was a special moment. I will borrow these lines from the review above to set up this clip.

I don't believe that Ross originally intended to come back onstage, yet this exuberant crowd simply demanded more.

Ross eventually agreed to do one more, appearing onstage in a simple black blouse and matching pants -- which looked like an outfit she'd wear back to the hotel. She was tired, and asked for a chair to be brought out onstage. Yet, she still managed to summon up the energy to sing "I Love You [[That's All That Really Matters)" for her fans.
    And the feeling was most definitely mutual.

Skooldem - Thank you so much for posting those sensational clips. Both are wonderful--but the encore clip is really very special. What a treat! Thanks again.

As super stars go, Diana Ross is at the head of everyone's top ten list. Performing for over five decades, she was the lead singer of The Supremes way back in the 1960s where she reigned on the charts with fourteen consecutive number one hits. Even The Beatles would have trouble beating her record.

An international star, she does more than sing. She has been nominated for an Oscar for the motion picture "Lady Sings the Blues" for her role as Billie Holiday, as well as starring in movies "Mahogany" and "The Wiz." With her own recording company, she has produced her last five television specials in addition to made-for-television films that have been critically acclaimed.

Her 2013 tour has taken her to Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina and Chile and will deliver her to Hartford's Bushnell Center for the Performing Arts for one glorious performance only on Tuesday, Aug. 13, at 8 p.m.

For Ms. Ross, "each performance feels like a celebration." She finds touring exciting and each place she sings feels brand new to her, a new adventure, even if she's returning. Performing makes her feel good. She considers her backup band wonderful and "we have a good time and fun. We've been together a long time and we're like family. I have a joyful time performing."

On tour, she wears many hats, "as producer, organizer, and parent or mother on the road to make sure they're [[the band) all well." Traditionally, "I select the music, the costumes, the lighting." She values her interaction with the audience, emphasizing the harmony and making it all work together, professionally. She wants good energy to flow back and forth, for that is "phenomenal and exciting and special."

In presenting good music, with a good sound, she prefers songs with positive images, from nature, like "I Will Survive" and "Ain't No Mountain High Enough." For her, this is what the show is all about. To Ms. Ross, "Music is like love. It feels good. It's about sharing. It's very special. Music is like the heartbeat of our world."

Diana Ross freely admits, "I do what I do because I love it. Your career is to share your God-given gift." For tickets [[$49.50-179.50), call the Bushnell, 166 Capitol Avenue, Hartford at 860-987-5900 or online at www.bushnell.org.

With her wild mane of black hair, her divine voice, her parade of incredible costumes and her dynamic presence, let Miss Diana Ross share her God-given gifts with you on Tuesday, Aug. 13, at 8 p.m. at the Bushnell. She will be singing directly