[REMOVE ADS]

HW ...on BBC Radio 2

On 20 November, BBC Radio 2's Steve Levine and Richard Allinson are joined by the Vice President of A&R at Motown, Harry Weinger, as they reveal the secret recording techniques behind the legendary Tamla Motown catalogue

Here's more...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/extra/2010/oct/12/extra-motown?&CMP=EMCGBLEML1942

Last edited by grapevine; 10-22-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks Grape. Must try and remember that!! How about a reminder for me and others of unsound mind nearer the time?

Date may change to Nov. 21, will let folks know.

...did anyone go? ...what happened? ...will it be broadcast on radio or TV?

It was great! HW brought along digitized versions of the multitracks [[=the unedited session tapes) of some well-known - and lesser-known - Motown recordings, and Steve Levine played them through the studio console, highlighting different tracks so we could hear how the recordings were built up. Examples of 3-track, 8-track and 16-track recordings were used, to show how Motown recordings grew more complex as studio techniques improved. On a screen in the studio, we were able to see the sound wave-forms for each track as it played, while on another screen we saw stills of the artists, studio, and original Motown documentation. Extensive "snippets" [[some previously unheard) of the interviews Allinson conducted with H-D-H, Smokey and others for his two previously broadcast BBC6 documentaries on H-D-H and Smoke, in his "The Record Producers" series, featured on a "sound track", which Harry and Steve then commented on.

Oh, I forgot to add - I don't know whether the shows will be broadcast, in any sense. I don't think they were filmed, and the shows would certainly lose something if they were broadcast on radio, as much of what was said "live" was commentary on what was being shown on the screens.
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 11-22-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Man, that's exactly what I was hoping they would do. I sure hope they do the same thing here in the States someday soon.

There were 2 sessions - one in the afternoon and one in the evening. The evening performance cut out Little Miss Sweetness [[aww shame) but we did have a special guest appear which was completely unexpected.

The sessions were too short for someone like me. They could have gone on for a week and I'd still be there.

It was great for Harry to meet up with his many friends in the UK. On Sunday a big group of us had lunch in Covent Garden...that was good fun too..

...thank you Keith and xtown...

...I asked Harry how his visit went ...

'...Brilliant. We had two sessions in a studio, about 35-40 people each. Second session I was mightily surprised by Shelly Berger, in town with family. Don't think they'll broadcast in full, perhaps stream bits, but that's up to them....'