[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson Hosts PBS's 60's GIRL GROOVES This Weekend 8/3

For the first time ever, MY MUSIC spotlights the girl groups and solo singers from the early and mid-1960s in an all-archivalcelebration that features original performances.

Curating worldwide video archives with rare footage from the vaults, 60s GIRL GROOVES [[MY MUSIC) is part of special programming premiering on PBS stations beginning August 3, 2013[[check local listings).

"This period in American pop music was very special," says series creator TJ Lubinsky. "It was a time of innocence, angst, puppy love, heartbreak and, most of all, great memories of carefree youth - like the feeling of that one memorable summer we all had in our teens - wherever we were hearing these songs on the radio." It's early rock and pop at its best on PBS, hosted by the always vivacious and "Supreme" Mary Wilson.

60s GIRL GROOVES [[MY MUSIC) features these performances:

"Please, Mr. Postman" - The Marvelettes
    "My Boyfriend's Back" - The Angels
    "Heatwave" - Martha & The Vandellas
    "Remember, Walking In The Sand" - The Shangri-Las
    "Give Him A Great Big Kiss" - The Shangri-Las
    "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" - The Shirelles
    "Da Doo Ron Ron" - The Crystals
    "Be My Baby" - The Ronettes
    "Gee Whiz" - Carla Thomas
    "A Lovers Concerto" - The Toys
    "I Will Follow Him" - Little Peggy March
    Hits Medley: "Where Did Our Love Go," "Baby Love," "I Hear A Symphony" - The Supremes
    "The Loco-Motion" - Little Eva
    "Mashed Potato Time" - Dee Dee Sharp
    "My Guy" - Mary Wells
    "You'll Lose A Good Thing" - Barbara Lynn
    "I Only Want To Be With You" - Dusty Springfield
    "What The World Needs Now Is Love" - Jackie DeShannon
    "The End Of The World" - Skeeter Davis
    "It's My Party" - Lesley Gore
    "Johnny Angel" - Shelley Fabares
    "The Shoop Shoop Song [[It's In His Kiss)" - Betty Everett
    "Yes, I'm Ready" - Barbara Mason
    "My Love "- Petula Clark
    "Rescue Me" - Fontella Bass
    "Respect "- Aretha Franklin

Read more about VIDEO: Sneak Peek - Mary Wilson Hosts PBS's 60's GIRL GROOVES, 8/3 - BWWTVWorld by tv.broadwayworld.com

I will be watching this one on Saturdaty night. Thank you for the heads up Miven.
    I hope its not a pledge drive show, If it is im going to have to TIVO it and fast forward through the breaks. I already donate to pbs though my work every december.

60s Girl Grooves
    A celebration of the girl groups and singers of the 1960s, featuring archival clips of Fontalla Bass, Petula Clark, Jackie DeShannon, Aretha Franklin, Martha & the Vandellas, the Marvelettes, Ronettes, Shirelles, Dusty Springfield and the Supremes. Also: the Angels; Crystals; Skeeter Davis; Betty Everett; Shelley Fabares; Lesley Gore; Barbara Lynn; Little Peggy March; Barbara Mason; the Shangri-Las; Dee Dee Sharp; Carla Thomas; the Toys; and Mary Wells. The Supremes' Mary Wilson hosts.

PBS SoCaL - HD

Well of course it will be a pledge drive. I already set my DVR and will fast forward parts that I am not interested in. But I must say, I often stop in the pledge breaks of the MY MUSIC shows because they are quite interesting. Often, they have one of the artists there commenting on the show

Great program! Enjoyed watching it! Thanks TJ!! Another job well done!

Mary did look great, but doesn't she always? I loved the videos, some I was seeing for the first time. Thank you TJ, Mary and everyone else that was involved in putting together another great show!

I'm watching "Girl Grooves," being broadcast on Detroit Public Television and I'm really enjoying it. Mary Wilson is the perfect host and there is a wide range of female singers to keep up my interest. Thankfully musical variety shows which showed R&B, pop and rock groups came into their own in the sixties, so much of the film footage has survived.

Didn't know that The Angels we're not a black female group...

Supremes on now singing back in my arms again.

Loved the show but was sorry to hear/see that so many of the live performances were dubbed with the studio recordings...rights issues, I imagine...

Quote Originally Posted by johnbell View Post
    Didn't know that The Angels we're not a black female group...

Supremes on now singing back in my arms again.
    http://theangelsonline.com/

ejluther, Just a thought. I noticed that Tom Moulton was given a credit for remixing at the closing credits of Girl Grooves. I'm not sure exactly how large a part he played in this production, but I couldn't help but notice that some of the video performances didn't match up exactly to the lyrics. On much of the early tv shows, the groups did lip sync and I wonder if in the interest of giving the audience the best digital sound reproduction, some of the video clips had a new musical track added.

Overall I enjoyed the program and if I had the funds, would seriously consider purchasing the three DVD set. Sometimes these items eventually become available on Amazon. If so, I think it would be a very worthwhile purchase.

I have no problem if they are lip-synching in the first place to replace it with the better-quality studio recording - that's fine. It's just that some of those performances I know were sung live on TV and even they were replaced with the studio versions which, as you noted, invariably led to some of the video performances not matching up exactly to the lyrics. I loved the show but I missed some of the authentically live numbers, that's all. Like I said, I imagine there were rights issues in using the live numbers so the studio recordings were used instead...

Talking Mary Wilson PBS 60s girl grooves

Does anyone know where I can get to download this special as i live in the uk. Anyone who can give me info please email me at

neil_dud@hotmail.com with subject MARY WILSON

thank you - Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I will be watching this one on Saturdaty night. Thank you for the heads up Miven.
    I hope its not a pledge drive show, If it is im going to have to TIVO it and fast forward through the breaks. I already donate to pbs though my work every december.

60s Girl Grooves
    A celebration of the girl groups and singers of the 1960s, featuring archival clips of Fontalla Bass, Petula Clark, Jackie DeShannon, Aretha Franklin, Martha & the Vandellas, the Marvelettes, Ronettes, Shirelles, Dusty Springfield and the Supremes. Also: the Angels; Crystals; Skeeter Davis; Betty Everett; Shelley Fabares; Lesley Gore; Barbara Lynn; Little Peggy March; Barbara Mason; the Shangri-Las; Dee Dee Sharp; Carla Thomas; the Toys; and Mary Wells. The Supremes' Mary Wilson hosts.

PBS SoCaL - HD

Quote Originally Posted by StuartUK View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get to download this special as i live in the uk. Anyone who can give me info please email me at

neil_dud@hotmail.com with subject MARY WILSON

thank you - Neil
    Hello Neil! How have you been?