[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson - Los Gatos - 7-23-2013 - "still Supreme"

Mary Wilson in Los Gatos

Name:  west_valley__peninsula_edition_20130728_B03.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  100.1 KB

I noticed she did not throw a fit or tantrum! What a trouper. A true professional!

Thanks Marv
    Mary is too smart to give anyone her power by having a hissy fit. BTW, I was at a conference this weekend and most of the 30 attendees were aware who Mary Wilson is without reference to the Supremes. We were discussing domestic abuse and she referenced in the conversation.

Mary has been getting a lot of really good write ups this year. It is a testament to all of the things she has learned as a performer and one thing about her she is never afraid to sing acapella.

I've heard Mary Wilson sing with the mic facing the floor one time at Wayne State University in Detroit and you could hear her clearly all the way to the back of the theater. She is a powerful vocalist.

smark21 Guest
    I’ve seen Mary do the pull the mic away from her mouth bit several times. It’s part of her schtick. She does it well, but it’s schtick nevertheless. And it generally gets a good pop from the audience.

Here's a little example of her doing that at about 4:02 in this clip here:

Generally speaking, singing away from the microphone only highlights the fact that you have a loud voice. Besides that, what does it really prove?

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Generally speaking, singing away from the microphone only highlights the fact that you have a loud voice. Besides that, what does it really prove?
    Maybe, but in Marys's case she sounds like an angel.....a soulful angel! She can get even louder than the FLO's ,but somehow remains on key and with the melody.........

Here's a great example of Mary Wilson's versatility. From late 2012, "Don't Know Why". I could listen to this all day...........Live band and beautiful live vocals....

" I could listen to this all day"

And most of us here wish you would. lol

"Don't know why" is a favorite song of mine. I was pleased when Mary added this to her show because with her tone, the song suits her. She sounds ok on it and other times not so good. With her limited range, instead of staying in the pocket, or caressing the lyric, she over does it in places and she shouldn't. This is a delicate song and requires a true song stylist to bring it to life. No one can beat Norah Jones singing this song.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Maybe, but in Marys's case she sounds like an angel.....a soulful angel! She can get even louder than the FLO's ,but somehow remains on key and with the melody.........
    Well said Marv, hard to add to that! Too bad she doesn't do it more often!

"Don't know why" is a favorite song of mine. I was pleased when Mary added this to her show because with her tone, the song suits her. She sounds ok on it and other times not so good. With her limited range, instead of staying in the pocket, or caressing the lyric, she over does it in places and she shouldn't. This is a delicate song and requires a true song stylist to bring it to life. No one can beat Norah Jones singing this song.

Norah jones sounds like a demo compared to Mary's version. Give me Mary Wilson's version of this song anyday, followed by Smokey's. Norah? bustin' out laughing here! LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Well said Marv, hard to add to that! Too bad she doesn't do it more often!
    I first saw Mary do that well over 20 years ago and I was like wow! Stunning display of raw talent. She and Gladys Knight are the BOMB!

Norah Jones version won 3 Grammy awards: "Record of the Year", "Song of the Year", and "Best Female Pop Vocal Performance". Not bad for a record that sounds like a demo.

Norah Jones version won 3 Grammy awards: "Record of the Year", "Song of the Year", and "Best Female Pop Vocal Performance". Not bad for a record that sounds like a demo.
    Consider the source skooldem. He thought Lifes Been Good to Me was going to top the charts and he had Mary performing it on every national TV show. None of that happen. hehehehehehehehehehehe

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Consider the source skooldem. He thought Lifes Been Good to Me was going to top the charts and he had Mary performing it on every national TV show. None of that happen. hehehehehehehehehehehe

Roberta
    Not seriously did he? He's not that dense right?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Not seriously did he? He's not that dense right?
    He sure did lol. When Lifes Been good to me was released in the UK on itune he say that withholding it from the U.S. market until she gets back from touring so that she can make television appearances here to support it. He said he's like to see Mary on "The View and Ellen Degeneres; The Talk and as a guest on American Idol. He also hope that Mary will have a CD listening party in New York!

lolololololololol

Yes Mary gave a stunning performance when she did this song in concert when I saw her last year. I wonder if her vocal lessons helps her voice continue to be so strong, like Gladys'. I read an article on how Darlene Love takes very good care of her voice and hers is still so good.

He sure did lol. When Lifes Been good to me was released in the UK on itune he say that withholding it from the U.S. market until she gets back from touring so that she can make television appearances here to support it. He said he's like to see Mary on "The View and Ellen Degeneres; The Talk and as a guest on American Idol. He also hope that Mary will have a CD listening party in New York!

Oh I'm sure he is just saying that to bait people and try and get a response.

Mary Wilson never charted on the Hot 100 ever. She made her career out of working hard and taking what came from Berry and Diana and doing her best with it. She doesn't have a commercial voice in the sense of Beyonce, Tina, Diana, Madonna, Whitney.

A chart career now would be a "Believe" style blip.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post

lolololololololol
    Boy Roberta! For a so-called religious person, you sure do lie a lot!

I don't even watch any of those shows you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yes Mary gave a stunning performance when she did this song in concert when I saw her last year. I wonder if her vocal lessons helps her voice continue to be so strong, like Gladys'. I read an article on how Darlene Love takes very good care of her voice and hers is still so good.
    Mary sure was smart in taking the vocal lessons. They have keep her voice at top level and she does close to 100 concerts a year. When she sings "I Am Changing" you knocks it out of the park and knocks the audiences out everytime! She's been singing for over 50 years and still has this much power. It is amazing actually. Gladys also sounds like she did 30-40 years ago.

Oh I'm sure he is just saying that to bait people and try and get a response.

Mary Wilson never charted on the Hot 100 ever. She made her career out of working hard and taking what came from Berry and Diana and doing her best with it. She doesn't have a commercial voice in the sense of Beyonce, Tina, Diana, Madonna, Whitney.

A chart career now would be a "Believe" style blip.

Nice try [[at degrading Mary Wilson), but it doesn't work. She constantly gets bookings year after year after year with out a "chart career". That tells me that the charts must not be that important to promoters and audiences...........

Mary built a great solo career without Berry Gordy [[which Diane desperately needed), without a major record label [[which Diane and others benefitted somewhat from). Mary has survived them all . She may be performing somewhere tonight some........54 years after she sang "Pretty Baby" with the Primettes!

The woman has stamina, staying power, talent and appeal to accomplish that. She don't need no charts or record companies, she has REAL talent!!!

Boy Roberta! For a so-called religious person, you sure do lie a lot!

I don't even watch any of those shows you mentioned.
    Well Ralph doesnt allow us to post things from other forums but you sure said those things. detroit313.

Jobeterob im sending you a private message.

Roberta

The thing that is good about Mary Wilson is that with quite a pedestrian voice, without any hits, she has managed to continue working and to take things like the Supremes dresses and market them; and she managed to earn a degree and learn well.

Whenever Marv says people lie, it generally means he can't refute what they say and that it is entirely true.

The thing that is good about Mary Wilson is that with quite a pedestrian voice, without any hits, she has managed to continue working and to take things like the Supremes dresses and market them; and she managed to earn a degree and learn well.

Whenever Marv says people lie, it generally means he can't refute what they say and that it is entirely true.
    All I am saying is that all your efforts to degrade Mary Wilson all these years means nothing. She continues to be a successful singer and performer. You just wasted a lot of time and effort for nothing. I do not expect you to stop now.

All I am saying is that all your efforts to degrade Mary Wilson all these years means nothing. She continues to be a successful singer and performer. You just wasted a lot of time and effort for nothing. I do not expect you to stop now.
    It says above that Mary gave a free show. I guess that is how Mary continues to to get gigs. Companies pay her a fee and they don't have to worry about selling tickets.

LOL, I got an email from someone in an internet group called Mary Wilson Ultimate Fans or some such thing saying exactly what Roberta said about Lifes Been Good To Me ~ it's not a crime to be a fan of Mary Marv. LOL. But it wasn't a hit anywhere either.

Mary is simply degraded by the petty talk about Diane and her other colleagues; remember Mary told you that Marv when somebody reported you to her, to leave her out of it?
    Last edited by jobeterob; 07-31-2013 at 02:28 AM.

LOL, I got an email from someone in an internet group called Mary Wilson Ultimate Fans or some such thing saying exactly what Roberta said about Lifes Been Good To Me ~ it's not a crime to be a fan of Mary Marv. LOL. But it wasn't a hit anywhere either.

Mary is simply degraded by the petty talk about Diane and her other colleagues; remember Mary told you that Marv when somebody reported you to her, to leave her out of it?
    lol. See I told you he was going around saying that Life Been Good to Me was "going to get airplay and get noticed" and they were "withholding iLife Been good to Me "from the U.S. market until Mary gets back from touring so that she can make television appearances to support it"

It didnt get airplay and it didnt get noticed and Mary didnt make TV appreaences to promote it.

Its just more egg on his face lol

Roberta