[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

"Diana Ross on Legacy and Life [[New interview)"

Diana has given a print interview in the San Francisco Chronicle for the concerts coming up. I think what she had to say speaks to what many are discussing here in this forum. This is only a part of the interview. Here she is in her own words:

How would you like to be remembered?

DR: I have always felt that it is more important to stay present, to stay in the moment, to stay now. I never try to think about legacy and being remembered. For me, If I could live a good life now, If I could do the things that bring me joy, If I could enjoy my children and enjoy the weather or whatever it might be, that is love and that is my life.

The article is 4 pages and they are all scanned here:

https://www.facebook.com/rbpconcerts

The link to the interview is:-
    http://www.sfchronicle.com/music/art...re-4686695.php

Name:  07-28-2013 SF Chronicle Diana Ross_Page_1.jpg
Views: 1762
Size:  86.6 KBName:  07-28-2013 SF Chronicle Diana Ross_Page_2.jpg
Views: 1808
Size:  96.7 KBName:  07-28-2013 SF Chronicle Diana Ross_Page_3.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  95.0 KBName:  07-28-2013 SF Chronicle Diana Ross_Page_4.jpg
Views: 1880
Size:  95.3 KBName:  07-28-2013 SF Chronicle Diana Ross_Page_5.jpg
Views: 1706
Size:  98.9 KB

I never understood someone who doesn't get some satisfaction from looking at past accomplishments, I thought most everyone felt that way. I look at a tree I planted 20 years ago, and it feels wonderful.

She said a whole lot without saying much.

Did I miss something?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Diana has never really open herself up,not even the book she did,from what I remember,that's just who she is lol,and there's nothing wrong with that,her fans still love her.please stay positive

i never fall for anybody who has accomplished a lot in their life, to say that their past is unimportant. anyone as driven, as hard working, and as perfection oriented as ross is, is watching out for their legacy. ross clearly knows that her reputation is always on the line. she chooses to say almost nothing. it is a form of protection.

i just watched an hour interview with joni mitchell. they are about the same age. mitchell said she was proud of her work, that most of her work was among the best done in her genre. when asked who her equals were, she could only name one contemporary artist, marvin gaye! mitchell also said she didn't believe in false modesty. she felt it was a trait forced upon people by the christian church. mitchell is an anomaly ... a strong woman, secure in her beliefs.

I bel I saw the same Joni interview. Quite smart on how she reflects on life. She really puts herself out there; hardly shallow.... What she says in one sentence is equal to a book for the rest of us.
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 07-28-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I bel I saw the same Joni interview. Quite smart on how she reflects on life. She really puts herself out there; hardly shallow.... What she says in one sentence is equal to a book for the rest of us.
    I saw a recent interview she [[Joni Mitchell) did on the CBC with George Stroumboulopoulos. A very intelligent and insightful woman.

smark21 Guest
    Yet another interview [[no doubt set up beforehand with parameters as to the type of questions the interviewer could ask) in which Diana Ross comes off as shallow and/or guarded.

Smark her being guarded is not what really bothers me. What I find strange [[and even in Supreme Faith Mary Wilson gave us some insight into the recordings) is that she never talks about her work with HDH and the intricacies of the recordings!!! We fans would love to know the details of what happened on the recordings I am not expecting her to remember everything but even Susaye Greene I asked her what did she remember about We Should Be Closer together the awesome duet she did with Mary on the Mary, Scherrie and Susaye album. She did not remember a lot but she told me they were in two separate booths and I found that to be interesting. Mary gave a rundown on concerts and everything even the ones when they were booed. I could care less anymore how Ross felt about Flo there is not much more to tell about that and there are things she will never say but I find it awfully strange that her huge musical history that we don't hear more about her relationship she had with RCA, Motown and even if its not all good I would think her persective would be fascinating. Half of her book took up talking about her family which I don't think is wrong but it was so self serving. Ross has a big story to tell and I would love her perspective on some of the things Randy T said and more.

I, too, would love to hear Diana talk about the music in detail more. But, as others have so rightly pointed out, she's always been guarded about everything and not open to, well, being open about much of anything!

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Smark her being guarded is not what really bothers me. What I find strange [[and even in Supreme Faith Mary Wilson gave us some insight into the recordings) is that she never talks about her work with HDH and the intricacies of the recordings!!! We fans would love to know the details of what happened on the recordings I am not expecting her to remember everything but even Susaye Greene I asked her what did she remember about We Should Be Closer together the awesome duet she did with Mary on the Mary, Scherrie and Susaye album. She did not remember a lot but she told me they were in two separate booths and I found that to be interesting. Mary gave a rundown on concerts and everything even the ones when they were booed. I could care less anymore how Ross felt about Flo there is not much more to tell about that and there are things she will never say but I find it awfully strange that her huge musical history that we don't hear more about her relationship she had with RCA, Motown and even if its not all good I would think her perspective would be fascinating. Half of her book took up talking about her family which I don't think is wrong but it was so self serving. Ross has a big story to tell and I would love her perspective on some of the things Randy T said and more.
    There was a book about to come out about ten years ago called UPSIDE DOWN [[i think). I had it preordered on Amazon, but it never came out. If it was a tell all book, she probably had second thoughts and decided not to participate in the other tell all books about her and the Supremes. I also would like to read her perspective about the music and the music industry, then and now.

I read her EYE OF THE SPARROW and it was a waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Smark her being guarded is not what really bothers me. What I find strange [[and even in Supreme Faith Mary Wilson gave us some insight into the recordings) is that she never talks about her work with HDH and the intricacies of the recordings!!!
    I do not really need to know all the ins and outs of a performers personal life. With someone like Diana, I would like to know what her thoughts are on the material she's recorded, her perceptions of songs, the way she worked with various personalities [[NOT Flo, but the producers, directors, stagers, etc). To say that you don't look backwards is just self-serving. If you don't look at where you came from then you don't really know where you're going. It's funny because I had the same problem with Gladys Knight's autobiography. She spent far too much time giving me intricate details of people in her life but left out working with Ashford & Simpson and even the fact that she made a movie. I think there was one mention of Pipe Dreams, which was produced by her husband! I think I knew less about Gladys after reading her book than I did before. I feel that way about interviews with Diana. She seems to spend so much time not answering questions and not giving details that I find them a waste of time. I would love a book from her that is all about her professional life, the personal she can keep to herself.

I totally agree with the sentiments here. People would LOVE to hear about her creative process... but alas, I don't think she HAS ONE. I think she just goes into the studio [[most times ill prepared) and has a producer tell her what to do, and that's about it. She always gives the impression that she doesn't really give a flip about the music and what's involved in creating it... she just wants to be a "Star". Interviews with no musical substance, not writing any of her own songs, not playing any musical instruments, and forgetting the words to her songs frequently is the reasons she doesn't get any respect from serious music fans. And by association, the legacy of the Supremes is also diminshed by this as well. If you watch Martha rehearse and talk to her about her work, it's like night and day... she's serious about her shit.

Martha Reeves doesn't remember details either. It has been so long ago that both Martha and Diana recorded things, they probably don't remember. And if they said some thing wrong, there would be smart asses to correct them, so they say very little. Martha says on one video that sister Lois joined her in 1968, but it was 1967, the summer of the riots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Martha Reeves doesn't remember details either. It has been so long ago that both Martha and Diana recorded things, they probably don't remember. And if they said some thing wrong, there would be smart asses to correct them, so they say very little. Martha says on one video that sister Lois joined her in 1968, but it was 1967, the summer of the riots.
    Oh yes she does... being 6 months off on Lois joining is no big deal, Martha can pretty much sing any song she ever recorded off the cuff. She can tell you what was happenning the day they shot the covers of the album jackets, just all kinds of fascinating stuff.

While I personally wish Diana was more like Martha [[as described here), I don't think that necessarily means Diana doesn't care about her music - she just has a different approach and outlook, that's all. I think she means it when she says she's a "What's next?" kind of person [[as I've seen her say repeatedly in interviews over the years) and doesn't like to dwell on the past, at least in any kind of public way. Plus, there are lots of stories of her being a perfectionist and professional both in the studio and in concert so that alone shows she cares about her music and how it is presented.
    Last edited by ejluther; 07-29-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    I totally agree with the sentiments here. People would LOVE to hear about her creative process... but alas, I don't think she HAS ONE. I think she just goes into the studio [[most times ill prepared) and has a producer tell her what to do, and that's about it. She always gives the impression that she doesn't really give a flip about the music and what's involved in creating it... she just wants to be a "Star". Interviews with no musical substance, not writing any of her own songs, not playing any musical instruments, and forgetting the words to her songs frequently is the reasons she doesn't get any respect from serious music fans. And by association, the legacy of the Supremes is also diminshed by this as well. If you watch Martha rehearse and talk to her about her work, it's like night and day... she's serious about her shit.
    All anyone has to do is ask Berry Gordy and Robin Seymour and you'd know this already! LOL!!!!

Oh yes she does... being 6 months off on Lois joining is no big deal, Martha can pretty much sing any song she ever recorded off the cuff. She can tell you what was happenning the day they shot the covers of the album jackets, just all kinds of fascinating stuff.

Now that is very true. I was shocked. She even remembers details about some of the old nightclubs in Detroit we both went to back in the day.

I never understood someone who doesn't get some satisfaction from looking at past accomplishments, I thought most everyone felt that way. I look at a tree I planted 20 years ago, and it feels wonderful.
    She'll show up at a Motown Musical and get all jammed up and jelly tight with Berry because he's soooo groovy. But then turn around and pretend like she doesn't hardly remember anything about her Motown days. LOL!!!!!!

I have to agree with you Jillfoster,when ever Diana do interviews,it's the same thing,nothing new,for more then 20 something years,it like everything she says,it's been rehearsed, nothing new,again for 20 something years lol,and like some have said here,it don't have to be personal,i remember the last time Diana was on OPRAH,the whole interview was about NOTHING,i also love it when singers like Mary Wilson and Martha Reeves open up,some time you have to stand for something,right or wrong.please stay positive
    Last edited by REDHOT; 07-29-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I have to agree with you Jillfoster,when ever Diana do interviews,it's the same thing,nothing new,for more then 20 something years,it like everything she says,it's been rehearsed, nothing new,again for 20 something years lol,and like some have said here,it don't have to be personal,i remember the last time Diana was on OPRAH,the whole interview was about NOTHING,i also love it when singers like Mary Wilson and Martha Reeves open up,some time you have to stand for something,right or wrong.please stay positive
    Doesn't she also do the same old shows/concert that she was doing back in 1980?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    No she is not doing the same shows. Back in 1980 she would sing her songs from a current album and also do many show tunes. Now days she usually only does her hits. Back in the 80s she only did a Supreme medley she now does complete Supreme songs. So her show is not the same!!

smark21 Guest
    The best Ross interview I’ve seen in the last 10 years was the one she did on the show Inside the Actor’s Studio. At the least the segment where the host asked Diana about her acting roles and the work she did to prepare for the parts. He did his research and asked questions that allowed Ross to talk about her preparation. Maybe one day she will sit down with a music historian who will ask smart questions about her work as a singer. This San Francisco Chronicle interviewer seemed focused on asking questions to help promote Ross’ live appearance in SF next week. And to be fair to Ross, she did reveal some insight into her mindset when she goes out to perform her show, especially on how to approach songs she’s been singing for nearly 50 years.

Well Marv you have a point. Back in 90's we used to own a suite at the Fox and got see many great acts such as Stevie, Aretha, and many Jazz. The last time I saw Ross there it was basically the same show we had all seen over the 10 years. It was very boring. However, I remember one decent show at the Ford Auditorium in the mid 70's with the Jones Girls backing her up. The stage was set up like Hollywood Squ
    ares and was quite creative.

I agree Detmotownguy,that was when MOTOWN[[Berry Gordy) was in charge,now that Diana is in charge,maybe she feels,what she's doing is good enough,why should she pay money for new productions?when her fans loves what she's doing,and I mean LOVES IT LOL,don't get me wrong, it's nothing wrong with what she's doing,it works for her.Please stay positive

Martha Reeves had a good book she mentioned the chart postions of her songs what was going on at the time in her life and I felt it was a fan friendly book I wish it had been longer.
    Smark you are right the best interview Diana has done was on the Actors Studio and it would have been MUCH better had it been an interview and not her singing every couple of songs. Secrets of a Sparrow could have been a great book. I really enjoyed her talking about her childhood etc, but I had heard enough about Central Park and her family. I would like to hear her side of the story on Mahogany, Lady Sings the Blues, the Wiz, and Out of Darkness, How she prepared for an Evening with Diana Ross [[which she never talks about and it was a tour de force for her). What happened with RCA there is soooo much and I think it would be good for her. The Upside Down book could have been that book.

Lightbulb

I do remember a couple interviews where she explained the preparation for the Billie Holliday role. She questioned about how someone [[HOLiday) could get addicted to drugs. It seemed that for this project she really got into the role and thought about Holliday's plight. I also thought she did a good job on Out of Darkness [[I hope that it is the name of the movie). I dont know why she never made more movies. In the end, to me she just doesn't come across well whether in print or an actual interview. Just too guarded.
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 07-30-2013 at 02:50 AM.

smark21 Guest
    As I recall, when the Upside Down book was announced, it was going to be marketed as an inspirational self help book on how to overcome problems such as addiction. It was not a tell all. The project was announced shortly after Ross completed rehab. I thought it was a bad idea [[she should be working on her recovery and not advising others as it was too soon) and was glad the project was cancelled.

I just dont think she has anything to say. She seems to be a very concrete person. I have a relative like her--and the past is anathema!

I think you're right Smark,about the Upside Down book,i also would like to know about her show's,back when she first left The Supremes,her show's were phenomenal back then,and again,that was because Berry Gordy was in charge,he always wanted Diana to be on top,or look like she was on top,so if she didn't have a hit record,she had a hit show,or maybe a hit movie,after Diana left MOTOWN,it was never the same for me,the spark was gone,it was the team at MOTOWN that made it all work,for Diana,i remember Diana saying they,at RCA didn't respect her,they had just givin' her the biggest recordin' contract in history[[at that time),i think RCA respected her,20 million worth of respect,the Actors Studio is about actin' not singing,i like Diana's singing,but this was the wrong place for singing,[[for me)and I think that Diana Ross,and The Supremes are LEGENDS,thanks to Berry Gordy and MOTOWN.Please stay positive,p.s TEAM BERRY GORDY'S MOTOWN
    Last edited by REDHOT; 07-30-2013 at 12:16 PM.

1. I do not believe that anyone who has gained as much fame and stature as Miss Ross would [[or would have) constantly went into any studio ill-prepared!

2. Being well-guarded can also mean that you are trying to protect others as well as yourself!

3. There are two sides to "not looking back". There's one side that does say that "someone forgets where they came from." Another side says "someone is constantly moving forward!"

Johnny Bristol and others have talked about having to coach performances out of her. Much depended on her mood. I wish my bosses were so undersranding if we got in moods!!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Johnny Bristol and others have talked about having to coach performances out of her. Much depended on her mood. I wish my bosses were so undersranding if we got in moods!!
    Many artists have [[have had) moods all the time! Mood swings don't constitute lack of preparation!

To get to the level Diana Ross has gotten requires a ton of prep! Lazy folk ain't getting to the top!

OOOOOWEEEEE!, LORRAINE DONE SENT ME THIS FINE DINNER...All young and tender... WHAT'S WRONG WITCHOO WOMAN!...I had to do it Scatman44. Welcome! That's the best screen name I've seen on here in a while.

I agree Detmotownguy,that was when MOTOWN[[Berry Gordy) was in charge,now that Diana is in charge,maybe she feels,what she's doing is good enough,why should she pay money for new productions?when her fans loves what she's doing,and I mean LOVES IT LOL,don't get me wrong, it's nothing wrong with what she's doing,it works for her.Please stay positive
    That just makes me question if she is really that creative or have any creative imagination at all. I know that very early in her career with the Supremes she used to study the other acts on the Motortown Revue and steal little bits and pieces of their acts.

These types of interviews are just hype for the paper and for the show ~ a real scoop for the paper.

Big artists don't deal in trash talk; the likes of Gordy Ross Streisand Beyonce has no need to say much. It is those riding the coattails and catching the backwind that need the attention.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Robin Seymour of "Swingin' Time" and KEENER radio in Detroit recalled a time Berry Gordy invited him over to the Hitsville Studios as they were recording a Supremes number. He was amazed to learn that Berry had to almost scream at Diane to let her know when to start singing once the music began. She just didn't know. He witnessed the painstaking process Berry and the others went through recording Diane. They literally had to spoon feed her the lyrics word for word, line by line She had NO naturally ability according to Seymour [[and other witnesses). Her voice basically was just a sound, coming out of a head! LOL!!!!

Johnny Bristol was not the only producer to experience this with Miss Ross. Ask Lionel Richie or Barry Gibb what their experiences were like in the studio with Diana. It will not be pretty........hehehehehehehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Yet another interview [[no doubt set up beforehand with parameters as to the type of questions the interviewer could ask) in which Diana Ross comes off as shallow and/or guarded.
    Are you serious? Would she stoop so low as to do something like that? Hand the reporter a list of questions that are allow? Wow!

ALL of those old accusations and stories about Diana Ross not being prepared or revealing in her interviews does not diminish her stature as a pop icon. Every single creative person has or had shortcomings from Van Gogh to Phil Spector. They are/were human and not perfect, but they are still revered.

Quote Originally Posted by scatman44 View Post
    Many artists have [[have had) moods all the time! Mood swings don't constitute lack of preparation!

To get to the level Diana Ross has gotten requires a ton of prep! Lazy folk ain't getting to the top!
    Sorry... But Robin Gibb disagreed with that sentiment.

Sorry... But Robin Gibb disagreed with that sentiment.
    Link please?

Thanks.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Link please?

Thanks.

Roberta
    Jill is not making it up. I've heard the same thing. The Gibb Brothers were shocked at how unprofessional and how unprepared diana ross was when they worked with her in the 80's. It seems all that Motown PR about Diane being such a hard worker or working the hardest was just plain urban myth.

Jill is not making it up. I've heard the same thing. The Gibb Brothers were shocked at how unprofessional and how unprepared diana ross was when they worked with her in the 80's. It seems all that Motown PR about Diane being such a hard worker or working the hardest was just plain urban myth.
    Link please.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Link please.

Roberta
    www.allinmarvsmind.com

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

That was too funny Rob. The Library is open and reading is going on, as my wife says.

I've always said that Diana Ross was largely a creation of Berry Gordy. Her career fell apart and went down hill when she left him.

Detmotownguy, I also knew I pretty much had it right about Diana's concerts.That most complaints are about them being stale and the same old show from decades ago. Only her most ardent fan attend these shows sorta like being a "Deadhead" following the Grateful Dead around from town to town. How could her shows not be boring for anyone under say 55 years old?
    Last edited by marv2; 07-30-2013 at 10:59 PM.