[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Soul Reunion This Saturday In Chicago

This Saturday Oct 23rd from 1-7pm , the DJs from the Thursday night Dusties Party on WHPK and Peabody Records will have a Soul Reunion. Chicago Soul artists such as Ruby Andrews Lester, Jan Bradley, Marvin Smith [[formerly of the Artistics) and JoAnn Garrett will be in attendance. Plus,we will be spinning soul music from the 60s and 70s,and we will have free food and possibly free CDs to give away.

If you remember the event with put together over the summer,this will be even better. [[despite the fact that it's suppose to rain on Saturday, come on out and have some fun)

I hope to see some of the SDF members from Chicago at this event.
    Mr.Peabody Records is located at 11832 S. Western

http://mrpeabodyrecords.com/vinyl-records [[scroll down to the bottom of the page and go to the BlogSpot/Mixes. Go to the Blog Archive,and go to the month of July,and read the blog and check out the photos from the summer event )

Thanks,and I hope to have some photos to post here on the forum later.

...and you'll be there when?

C'mon Chris, GT will be there probably before the doors open until closing........the one back in the summer was a riot, except for a overzealous "soul wannabe" who shall remain nameless who felt he was being snubbed, so he took his records among other things and went home......good thing too because he was about to be introduced to a good ol fashioned Chi-Town smackdown......seriously though I hope to see you there, I'm sure GT has some surprises up his sleeve and so do I.....but you already knew that didn't you ?

Put your drum kit down and come on out.......on this day the only thing you'll have to beat is the street.....

Heres a direct link.....see anyone you know ?

http://mrpeabodyrecords.blogspot.com...1_archive.html
    Last edited by paladin; 10-22-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Looking forward to seeing your face[[s) in the place tomorrow It should be a blast!

As paladin said, I will probably be there before the doors open,like last time. [[lol)

It should be a lot of fun. I was checking the Facebook event page a few minutes ago, it looks like it's going to be a nice turn out.

What a day ! My mind is still blown from a SDF member,that came all the way from NYC to party with us "Chicago folks.
    Thank you Dyvanaye and your daughter ! [[what a suprise !)

We had a great time this afternoon,and more people showed up than last time.

Paladin, Cat, and Chi drummer from SDF, came out,as well as other folks wanting to hear some great music.

I'm sure photos and more reviews will be posted later.

I want to thank everyone for coming out, and I hope you had a great time.

Thanks so much !

Gee, I'll try to post some of the pictures in the morning after I review them, we actually caught a break with the weather and now I know the true meaning of Native New Yorker.....lol.....

Kdub......

This party was so much fun! Sights, sounds, our special guest visitors [[Dyva Naye & daughter), a "floor show" [[or two), great music, great people, and a big room full of fantastic vinyl...It was WONDERFUL! More details to come...

Take your time,because I know you have plenty of photos to chose from. We did get a break from the weather, [[THANK GOD ! ) and I agree with you in the meaning of a true "Native New Yorker." [[ my mind is still blown ! )

I'm glad most of the people were able to come out and have a good time.

As it was mentioned yesterday,we will try and do this on a quarterly basis. [[I'll keep you posted)

Thanks again SDF family !

Ok here we go.......

Name:  stuff 2009 118.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  stuff 2009 143.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  98.6 KB

Peabody Record owners Mike & Marc......

Geetee is gonna have to help me out with names although the guy third from left [[Leroy Tate) was a member of Ruby Andrews Band and played along with Jerry Butler. The guy with the ponytail was a singer in a group that alas I have forgotten.....

Name:  stuff 2009 120.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  45.3 KB

This is a shot of Mrs. Ruby Andrews, the owner and Mr. " Alphonse" who was a member of the Miracles for a hot moment. He even gave an impromptu performance.

Name:  stuff 2009 121.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  57.2 KB

And without further adieu here is our very own Dyvanaye, who found her way to Chicago with an able assist from her GPSs, thats "Good Peoples Satellite & Surveilance", helping her pick some tunes to play is Mr. Rob Thompson.

Name:  stuff 2009 122.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  42.3 KB

One of our amicable hosts, GT, a/k/a Mr Gary Tyson of Radio Station WHPK along with the lovely Dyvanaye...

Name:  stuff 2009 123.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  42.4 KB

Gary, me and The Dyva.....

Name:  stuff 2009 124.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  47.2 KB

King George and PJ Willis [[WHPK DJ's) pulling vinyl.......and getting chicken and salads.....

Name:  stuff 2009 127.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  32.3 KB
    Last edited by paladin; 10-24-2010 at 10:53 PM.

A shot of the interior, my god vinyl still rules........

Name:  stuff 2009 130.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  53.0 KB

Dyva, Catwoman [[Debra) & The Little Dyva, Renee's lovely daughter who had some menz [[ Tyrone) in particular all upset....
    Name:  stuff 2009 134.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  53.7 KB

Me & brother Ric Evans a former member of the Artistics and one of the biggest Temptation fans I know......

Name:  stuff 2009 135.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  46.2 KB

Alphonse "The Miracle" and Catwoman.........maybe I'll tell ya'll a little more about him later.....mabye not...lol
    Name:  stuff 2009 136.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  49.8 KB

more later gang gotta go.......this is Gary & Marios biggest fan, those of you who listen to the show know him as Tyrone !
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ok back to work, there was a mega storm in Chicago tonight.....lighting , thunder and a hell of a lot of rain...jeez.....but back to the pics;

Gary, Ric and Ruby Andrews taking a break from the festivities......

Name:  stuff 2009 140.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  51.0 KB

Garys Main Man PJ Willis on the mike ....churning out those fabulous dusties....
    Name:  stuff 2009 149.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  54.1 KB

I dont think this pic needs an explanation......is that a genuine Draft ??????

Name:  stuff 2009 151.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  63.8 KB

The official photographer and Unohoo, according to all reports this is Tyrone Davis's nephew "Slim"

Name:  stuff 2009 152.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  47.8 KB

Dyva, latecomer ChiDrummer and Cat !

Name:  stuff 2009 156.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  40.1 KB

Temptation fans in da house ...lol......

Name:  stuff 2009 157.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  44.0 KB

Somebody better call GT, him and Ms. Andrews getting kinda close. I really think his expression says it all......

Name:  stuff 2009 159.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  49.3 KB

Great photos ! Let me add that another SDF member was there,but had to leave early. Thanks Linda for coming out,and I'm glad you found some Stairsteps music to take home with you.

I'll post more details about the photos later ........

These are great photos, KDubya It was QUITE a party!

Great shots guys. What a smile...............

Definitely worth going "down south" for if just to meet the fabulous dyvanaye alone

The music was too cool and so was the company. I'll have to go back because I forgot to pick up the Eddie Harris LP I had tucked away behind the counter.

That Native New Yorker gets to keep her South Side pass. Come back soon D.

Great shots!! Everyone looks like they had a great time!!
    Hey Dyva, now you know what life is like outside NYC!!

The music was too cool and so was the company. I'll have to go back because I forgot to pick up the Eddie Harris LP I had tucked away behind the counter.

Really doe ? Yeah Moe, we had a great time. More on that later as I gather my thoughts on the entire experience. Dyvanaye fell right in line with the Mafia......oh yes......

Hey, Chi Drummer, it's ALWAYS worth it to go "down south" here in Chicago for a visit...We know how to have a good time, too...LOL I am still gathering my thoughts, as well, given that this was INDEED an experience - not just a party Did not have time to provide commentary today, but I'll be back soon...

...Oh yeah...Will continue to gather intel on Mr. "Alphonse Sings Smokey" to see what will be revealed

Hi Gary! *Waving*.... [[for the pic with me and you.I tried to get these words under the pic...lol...)

As tired as I am from the drive, people on the job said 'you look like you had a good time'...and I did... You all check your FB e-mail on the Wikipedia info I found on Mr Alphonse...lol...

Thanks for the compliment K Dub - although you made me eat all of that food and now my trainer said he will cause me pain for what I reported on my menu...lol...
    But if you need to know Chicago - KDUB is your man...just dont wake him up too early or make it close to a football game...lol...But thank you again and again...you know my Daughter thinks you are hilarious ....and still rolling on the Prince story...LOL! We laugh so hard at that we had to pull the car over to catch our breath...

Ladies, any event you go to out there...WEAR PANTS! LOL. I learned...lololol...[[can you say Marilyn Monroe, but I caught it at the thigh? EMBARRASSMENT!!!!)

I love Debra's - [['CAT-WOMAN) spirit...and we have CATS in common too! A warm and funny person... She got that old school never dies demeanor...much like myself... Girl, get the Alphonse report together...lol...blow him up! LOL!!!!

Rob Thompson - 'CHALLANGE'!!! A funny and insightful Brother who came out to greet me as well...I thank you again.

Chi Drummer - Nice to meet you! What albums did you pick up? I bought out a good portion of the middle section... I did not see what you had...
    KDUb Officially 'popped my Chi-Town Collar' and made me a member of the Chi-town Southland Mafia...lol...

MOE - Ive been to Chicago before - Girl, I am the traveling kind! This is no-where near my first time out of NYC, if that's what you meant - only to meet this clique this time...

Gary - too bad I didnt get to meet Mario, or Tony Johnson...but the visit was certainly worth the surprise and grin on your face! So glad to have met you after all this time... Next time I will stay longer and got to get my step on! I bought those Step videos from the store and will practice...but I wont be free-styling like the black and white pin stripe suit dude...lol...I had fun and thanks again for receiving us... Its you all's turn to come to NY soon...Im working on 'that' which I suggested...

PS - Gary- lol to the You and Ruby pic...lol....PRICELESS...

'you had to be there'....

Hey y'all, the function was at the junction last saturday and like the last time I had a ball. Next time remember to make sure Ruby is not in the dj area.

The guy in the ponytail looked very familiar but I just couldn't place him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric E. View Post
    Hey y'all, the function was at the junction last saturday and like the last time I had a ball. Next time remember to make sure Ruby is not in the dj area.
    For real Ric...LOL! That was like the old days, dancing and carrying on and someone bumps the DJ table. LOL!!!!

Looks like a great event

Cool

Thanks for the compliment K Dub - although you made me eat all of that food and now my trainer said he will cause me pain for what I reported on my menu...lol...
    But if you need to know Chicago - KDUB is your man...just don't wake him up too early or make it close to a football game...lol...But thank you again and again...you know my Daughter thinks you are hilarious ....and still rolling on the Prince story...LOL! We laugh so hard at that we had to pull the car over to catch our breath...

Ladies, any event you go to out there...WEAR PANTS! LOL. I learned...lololol...[[can you say Marilyn Monroe, but I caught it at the thigh? EMBARRASSMENT!!!!)

@ Dyvanaye: I made you eat the food Huh ? Ok...........Thats cool I ain't gonna tell the real story about your first night in town, oh no not me, ain't even going to mention that great and humongous platter sized meal you had at The Champs Americana Grill........ after I had to surveil the mall and found you and your baby girl at the Boom-in-dales Concourse......not me I'll never, ever, never tell...... and you don't tell how "Stella is bad to the bone"and I won't tell about you trying to cross Western Ave in a dress with the wind blowing at 35 miles an hour and you calling a brother to help you get back to the set......dam I'm beginning to sound like Alicia Keys......

@ Ric: look brother man, Ruby can walk, dance, slide or trip over anything she wants to, she is a reigning Diva of Chitown and a Mafia Princess so chill brother before I have to send you to my therapist.......lol....you may have seen him on television, one of his favorite sayings is " You Jack-wagon !!!!" Would you like to have some tissue ?

Dyva on the real side thank you for coming into our city and sharing some love with us while we did our musical thing. As I think back on the experience it was much more than the music, it was the mutual respect and friendship that we have maintained over all these years. You have raised your daughter well, she knows as much about this music as any of us here. You know I peeped her hole card at Peabody's. You are as proud of her as I am of my young men. Next time we'll do it a little better.

@ SDF, We were like little kids in a clubhouse, except we had several speakers, turntables and all the records we could ever want to play, food and beverages galore and each other. GT, Rob, Cat, Chi, Ric, Ruby & everyone: Once again thanks for sharing the love.

I haven't had this much fun since Ralph & Russ were here and hell, he's had his hip replaced since then.

I spoke to Tyrone Davis's widow yesterday and told her I was bringing her a picture of her nephew.........oh yeah.......

dam almost forgot Ralph knows about Stella !

Respectfully,

Kdubya
    a/k/a Paladin
    Consigliere Chi-Town Benevolent Society
    Last edited by paladin; 10-26-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Alright ! Paladin, photo identification time. The gentleman on the left with the other three guys in the photo, I can't remember his first name,but his last name is Bailey,and he's a vocalist for a group called Masterkey. His cousin is a jazz DJ at ' HPK named Lee Bailey. That's about the best I can tell you. As I've stated many time, [[lol) some of the other folks that were there,I didn't know [[I don't !)

Hi Ladyvanaye [[waving back)

We really had a great time on Saturday at Peabody's,as you can see. Our next event will be in the winter of 2011. Hopefully is will not be "too cold" and a lot of snow on the ground. I don't expect anyone coming out of town for that event. [[you might want to wait for the Spring 2011 event,when the weather is warmer)

It's a shame no one didn't get a picture of the look on my face when Ladyvanaye came inside the doors of Peabody's. That photo would have been priceless I'm still thinking about when you walked into the door. I have to admit,Paladin,Cat and Rob did a excellent job for keeping things under wrap from me. I never in a million years would have figured Ladyvanaye and daughter,would have traveled from NY to Chi-town for a weekend and for this event at Peabody's. [[That really made my day !)

I hate that Mario and Tony wasn't able to make it,but they will know how everything turned out on Thursday afternoon. [[as well as my "how much is too much" moment)

Ric, I'm glad you made it on board SDF,and welcome !

The photo with Ruby and I. If memory serves correct, somebody said something funny,and that's why I looked the way that I did in the photo.

I'll save my thoughts about Alphonse [[Smokey wannabe) later ....... [[I'm waiting for someone else else to kick it off )

DON'T BE SCURRED !!!!!! More tomorrow .....

Sure somebody said something funny....right.......looks more like you had a Barry White move on your mind...........

Yes I remember "Masterkey"...thanks bro.............

He's listed on Wikipedia ......everybody got issues......including me....what happened to the dam record ?

Oh snap, welcome Bro Ric, I apologize but you know Diva's come first............

Alright, now back to the game.....

Still LMAO, reading the commentaries from Saturday's proceedings, and remembering the various scenes from the party [[and the after-party...)! I hope that the SDF community can see how special this event was. On the serious side, I am so very glad that I came Of course, some folks showed up and showed OUT, but that's another story...hee... We did not lack live entertainment. Speaking of one individual who chose to do just that [[and getting back to), "AlphonseSingsSmokey", "Former Lead of the Motown Miracles", here's his MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/alphonsesingssmokey, if y'all are interested. Could someone tell me something? Is it OK to have the Motown logo splashed all over a website or on one's media kit? Do you have to have permission to do it?

G., your "How Much is Too Much?" segment should be especially good this week...LOL

Damn, that sounded and looked like fun. I'll have to stop by that store if I get to Chicago this summer.

Paladin, where did you get the cool shirt?

No Barry White move on my mind,bro. [[lol)

All I'm going to say is this, Smokey and the Miracles recorded on Tamla, [[NOT MOTOWN !) case closed !

[[and he was only in the group for 5 MONTHS !!!!!) 5 MONTHS

continue ........

@ Tsull, I had the shirt made a couple of years ago. I have a similar shirt with the Dramatics that was posted on the old forum, in fact I wore it to a show featuring Betty Lavette...lol.....

@Tsull, if you ever get this way let us know....... you may have need of credentials or friends of friends..........

GT, Dam bro remember I took the picture......

Wow what a weekend.............we finished it off [[after the Bears Game) at a local Hyde Park Restaurant called

Name:  logo_L.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  32.2 KB

Pasta, Shrimp, Catfish, Lasagna, cool drinks and a couple of Stella's......

Thanks Paladin. I'd love to hit Chicago and some soul concerts in the Windy City. Nice shirt, I might have to look at how to get my album covers screened. That Tempts shirt is awesome. I've always wanted to get the "Backstabbers" cover on a t-shirt.

See the Peabody's blogspot,about the event on Saturday. [[Special thanks to Marc )

http://mrpeabodyrecords.blogspot.com/

Oh yeah......lol...

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    me & brother ric evans a former member of the artistics and one of the biggest temptation fans i know......

Name:  stuff 2009 135.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  46.2 KB

alphonse "the miracle" and catwoman.........maybe i'll tell ya'll a little more about him later.....mabye not...lol
    Name:  stuff 2009 136.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  49.8 KB
    wow! This is so cool! Kdub, i love that tempts shirt! Do they have one with the get ready cover or meet the temptations cover?

Quote Originally Posted by geetee[[hpk) View Post
    no barry white move on my mind,bro. [[lol)

all i'm going to say is this, smokey and the miracles recorded on tamla, [[not motown !) case closed !

[[and he was only in the group for 5 months !!!!!) 5 months

continue ........
    that's funny! Lol.

I just found this clip from our friends at Peabody Records. Enjoy !

Here you go arr&bee,so you won't have to search too hard to see Ruby.

These pictures are great!