[REMOVE ADS]

30th Anniversary of Diana In Central Park When She Reigned as it Rained

Very nice article in today's NY DAILY NEWS about Diana Ross' 30th Anniversary of her concert in Central Park

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1404781

30 Years ado

Name:  ross21n-8.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  48.3 KBName:  ross21n-12.jpg
Views: 1700
Size:  71.1 KBName:  ross21n-11.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  65.1 KBName:  diana-ross.jpg
Views: 2109
Size:  52.0 KBName:  ross21n-10.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  78.9 KBName:  ross21n-13.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  79.5 KBName:  ross21n-9.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  94.6 KBName:  ross21n-4-copy.jpg
Views: 3766
Size:  92.1 KB

Name:  central park.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  7.6 KBName:  0622WKDCARAMANICA-articleLarge.jpg
Views: 3724
Size:  56.9 KBName:  DianaNY.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  13.2 KB

Name:  390-ross21n.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  57.2 KBName:  UWS14_diana-ross-playground_flickr-creative-commons_derbokon.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  38.5 KBName:  pic-tvcentralpark.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  26.4 KB

It was so amazing because she did not run and leave the stage and BAM !!!!! she came back !!! Truly a star.

The city lost the $2.5 million in profits from the first show, and there was no money left for the playground — until Diana herself donated $250,000.

I do remember things getting tense between Diana Ross and Mayor Koch. But she gave some money and the playground was finished eventually. I didn't think the second day was that good. There was something missing. And since then, the editing of the show makes the performance seem sloppy. I have noticed she has not been back to Central Park to perform. Why is that? She did a concert in the park here in Memphis in 2009. It was great weather and a much better show.

There was a time when I listened to Diana's Central Park concert every day. One of the local radio stations did a simulcast, and I taped it on 8-track. At the time, I thought it was the best thing she ever did. As an adult, I see some of the flaws but still enjoy the show.

I would suspect that she hasn't done another Central Park show because the first two were so momentous that a sequel would probably pale in comparison. Been there, done that. Of course, a 30th anniversary return this year might have been a nice event in itself.

RTP - Return to Park?

Would have been a nice thing, 'a good thing--remember me'. Not a concert, even; just an impromptu appearance would have been all that's needed. Who knows--maybe when she's next in the vicinity, perhaps she'll do it. It would certainly be a delightful little tickle of a surprise.

"It took another 30 years to get here--I'm not going anywhere. Let it rain--I can handle it. I'm coming back."
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 07-22-2013 at 01:20 PM.

I went to New York and Central Park for the first time when I was about 7. I think it was a year after Ross' Central Park concert. My parents took me to my first Diana Ross concert when I was about 11 or 12. We still lived in Ohio then and Diana Ross performed at the Front Row Theater in Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    RTP - Return to Park?

Would have been a nice thing, 'a good thing--remember me'. Not a concert, even; just an impromptu appearance would have been all that's needed. Who knows--maybe when she's next in the vicinity, perhaps she'll do it. It would certainly be a delightful little tickle of a surprise.

"It took another 30 years to get here--I'm not going anywhere. Let it rain--I can handle it. I'm coming back."
    "Remember Me" was a gem, but she had a huge repertoire from which to chose from for this show, Diana Ross was fabulous for doing the Central Park concert and she had to put her own money into it after the rioting took place on night #2. the performance was a marvel on both nights and how she braved the rains, i guess she was destined to be the star of the Supremes..

This week marks the 30th anniversary of the legendary Diana Ross’ landmark concerts in New York's Central Park, and to celebrate, Shout! Factory is spotlighting her amazing performances via its new Shout! Music Live channel.

Ross took the stage on July 21, 1983, before an audience of more than 800,000, performing through pouring rain and heavy wind before the torrential storm put an end to the performance. She promised her fans she would return the next day, and true to her word, she performed the entire concert again on July 22 for the people of New York.

Shout! has created a playlist with the best performances from both shows at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-GtN5zO_M0

Shout! Factory is a leading multiplatform media company devoted to producing, uncovering, preserving and revitalizing the very best of pop culture.

Each week, Shout! Music Live will spotlight exclusive content from music of the most influential artists, celebrating their contribution to music history.

In addition to Diana Ross, Shout! Music Live features performances from artists including Katy Perry, The Grateful Dead, James Brown, Paul Simon, Korn, Hall and Oates, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Quiet Riot, Fountains of Wayne, Los Lobos, B.B. King, Alice Cooper, Slightly Stoopid, Peter, Paul and Mary, Megadeath, The English Beat, Barenaked Ladies, Bowling For Soup, Ben Harper, Third Eye Blind, The Ting Tings, The Bravery, The Airborne Toxic Event, Aqualung, Brandi Carlile, Echo And The Bunnymen and more.