[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    RossHolloway Guest

Stevie Wonder Boycotts Florida over Stand Your Ground Laws!

Stevie Wonder Boycotts Florida And Other States With "Stand Your Ground" Laws

http://www.nbcnews.com/entertainment...ict-6C10645827

Stevie Wonder boycotts Florida following George Zimmerman verdict

Randee DawnNBC News contributor

1 hour ago
    Florida fans of Stevie Wonder who want to see the legend sing are going to have to go on a road trip for the near future. During a performance in Quebec City, Canada, on Sunday, the Grammy-winning performer spoke out about the recent acquittal of George Zimmerman and announced he would boycott the state.
    "I decided today that until the 'Stand Your Ground' law is abolished in Florida, I will never perform there again," he told the audience. "As a matter of fact, wherever I find that law exists, I will not perform in that state or in that part of the world."

Though the "stand your ground" law arguably was not a factor in Zimmerman's acquittal, it was a much-discussed potential motivation for Zimmerman's actions on the night of Feb. 26, 2012, when he and Martin had their deadly encounter.
    Earlier in his over three-minute announcement, captured by a fan at the concert on YouTube, Wonder asked his fans to join him in the boycott.
    "For those that we have lost in the battle for justice, wherever that fits in any part of the world — we can't bring them back," he said. "[[What) we can do is we can let our voices be heard. And we can vote in our various countries throughout the world for change and equality for everybody. That's what I know we can do."
    Wonder isn't the first celebrity to speak out post-verdict; others havegiven voice to their concerns about the acquittal on Twitter andelsewhere, but his appears to be the first entertainer to actively take his business out of the state in reaction to the decision.
    Last November Wonder withdrew from a Los Angeles gala in which he was set to perform in support of the Israeli Defence Forces after a petition urged him to rethink his performance.

Good for Stevie that he is standing up for what he believes. But it should be noted that the Zimmerman case wasn't tried on "Stand Your Ground". Stevie said he would boycott all STG states. I found the following information:

************************************************** ***************************

Here's a rundown of the states with laws mirroring the one in Florida, where there's no duty to retreat in public places and where, in most cases, self-defense claims have some degree of immunity in court. [[The specifics of what kind of immunity, and when the burden of proof lies on the prosecution, vary from state to state.)

Many of the laws were originally advocated as a way to address domestic abuse cases — how could a battered wife retreat if she was attacked in her own home? Such legislation also has been recently pushed by the National Rifle Association and other gun-rights groups.

Click on the state to see its law.

Alabama
    Arizona
    Georgia
    Idaho
    Illinois [[The law does not include a duty to retreat, which courts have interpreted as a right to expansive self-defense.)

Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    Montana
    Nevada
    New Hampshire
    North Carolina
    Oklahoma
    Oregon [[Also does not include a duty to retreat.)

South Carolina
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Washington [[Also does not include a duty to retreat.)

West Virginia
    Sources: Legal Community Against Violence; National District Attorney’s Association; Association of Prosecuting Attorneys.

http://www.propublica.org/article/th...-like-floridas

Stevie won't be performing in many states in the USA. I found this part interesting:

"Many of the laws were originally advocated as a way to address domestic abuse cases"

Are we advocating that abused women shouldn't have this protection?
    Last edited by skooldem1; 07-16-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Stevie Wonder has this exactly right.

The Martin Family should sue the State of Florida for passing a law that validates vigilante justice because the State either knew or should have known that the consequence of authorizing a Stand Your Ground law is that there will be altercations and someone will be hurt, maimed or killed. The State has failed to meet the proper standard of care for it's Citizens and that is negligent and they should be liable for the negligence.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Stevie won't be performing in many states in the USA. I found this part interesting:

"Many of the laws were originally advocated as a way to address domestic abuse cases"

Are we advocating that abused women shouldn't have this protection?
    There was a very recent trial in Florida that happened about the same time as the Treyvon Martin shooting happened. In that cases, the woman was convicted and got 20 years just for firing a warning shot. The woman was Black.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/11/justice/florida-stand-ground-sentencing

These stand your ground laws were created by the gun lobbyists and vigilante groups, and no doubt grew out of the fear of the Black man. I'll bet if there was a real push for Blacks ans Latinos to arm themselves under these current gun laws, these nuts would start to think twice.

I recently had the unpleasantness experience of discussing guns with a couple of these nuts, and they bragged about helping state lawmakers write these laws. They are anti-immigration, racist, and, needless to say, anti-Obama.
    Last edited by soulster; 07-16-2013 at 12:22 PM.

From what I read, she didn't stand her ground, she went away and then came back and shot. Many believe that she shot to kill, but missed.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    From what I read, she didn't stand her ground, she went away and then came back and shot. Many believe that she shot to kill, but missed.
    A key part of that law says one must make every attempt to remove oneself from harm's way first. Why the prosecution didn't bring that up in the trial is a question people are asking.

The prosecution did everything wrong, and only seemed to get their groove during closing, and even then didn't do that treat of a job. Maybe they miscalculated the whole thing and thought they had it in the bag.

He is doing the right thing. Fortunately for Stevie, he can afford to avoid certain places. Still, I am happy and proud that he is using is celebrity to call attention to a law that is not good for anyone.

Everyone can afford to avoid certain places.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    A key part of that law says one must make every attempt to remove oneself from harm's way first. Why the prosecution didn't bring that up in the trial is a question people are asking.

The prosecution did everything wrong, and only seemed to get their groove during closing, and even then didn't do that treat of a job. Maybe they miscalculated the whole thing and thought they had it in the bag.
    Or the prosecution lawyers weren’t very competent. Let’s face it, top Legal talent are not going to be drawn to a place like Sanford, Florida and its DA office.

Good for Stevie.Stevie Wonder is no JOKE.

Sad to hear Stevie will never be performing in his home state of Michigan again.

Stevie changes his mind like the wind. So I would never say never, not after a while.

But if people can use whatever influence they have to change what are foolish laws that are a set up to cause trouble and ruin or end lives ~ we should all do what we can.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Stevie changes his mind like the wind. So I would never say never, not after a while.

But if people can use whatever influence they have to change what are foolish laws that are a set up to cause trouble and ruin or end lives ~ we should all do what we can.
    Stevie is an activist who doesn't play games about civil rights matters. Unless the laws change, he ain't playin'.

I hope there will be others to follow suit. Stevie is doing the right thing. Treat it like South Africa during the Aparthied Era.

Glad to see Dionne Warwick has come out and backed Stevie, saying she will also do the same.

I kind of hate to say this, but it sort of doesn't even matter much if Warwick and Wonder, and another veteran artist boycott Florida and other stand your ground states. For this to be effective, contemporary popular artists must take the pledge. I mean people like Jay-Z, Robin Thicke, Justin Beiber, Kanye, Luke Bryan, Justin Timberlake, West, One Direction, McLamore, Pink!, Miley Cyrus, and Florida Georgia Line, among many others. Only then will you see some real impact.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Glad to see Dionne Warwick has come out and backed Stevie, saying she will also do the same.
    Where did you read this i cant find anything on the internet or google about Dionnes boycott.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post

God Bless Dionne ......and Stevie!

I kind of hate to say this, but it sort of doesn't even matter much if Warwick and Wonder, and another veteran artist boycott Florida and other stand your ground states. For this to be effective, contemporary popular artists must take the pledge. I mean people like Jay-Z, Robin Thicke, Justin Beiber, Kanye, Luke Bryan, Justin Timberlake, West, One Direction, McLamore, Pink!, Miley Cyrus, and Florida Georgia Line, among many others. Only then will you see some real impact.
    Maybe Stevie and Dionne can lead the way. Wake them up to it?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Maybe Stevie and Dionne can lead the way. Wake them up to it?
    It's a generational thing. I would wager that most people under 30 have no clue as to whom either singer is. People need to see their own icons take a stand.

I respectfully disagree. Back during the time of South African Apartheid, there was a strong musical statement named "Sun City" that included cross-generational music artists. It was very successful in getting the word out to those that were not really a part of the movement. Granted that this all occurred back in the mid 80's and the under 30 crowd was far more intelligent [[smile). I think something like that could work today.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Where did you read this i cant find anything on the internet or google about Dionnes boycott.

Roberta
    Dionne sent out the following message via her email fan club:

...i am certain most if not all of you have been bombarded with CNN and the news of the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman trial and i must say i was stunned at the verdict of NOT GUILTY........it took a while for this to settle in my brain since Zimmerman admitted killing this youngster.........my very dear friend Stevie Wonder has decided to keep his incredible talent from those states that carry the "Stand Your Ground" law here in the United States [[30) of them and i am going to join him as i feel as seriously concerned as he does that we have to start caring more about each other and conversing with regard to the values we ALL should share with regards to our lives and the well being of each other.............it's really a shame that we feel the need to have to carry a weapon to feel safe around each other.............i will miss those states that have supported my career for these past 50 years but i feel absolutely compelled to show solidarity with Stevie showing him he is not alone in feeling the way he does..........we in the entertainment world have always been the ones who looked at PEACEFUL WAYS THROUGH OUR MUSIC and again i feel the absence of our MUSIC in those places that in reality have [[in my opinion) no true regard for the preservation of life, and equality for all RACES, CREEDS, RELIGIONS, AND COLORS should take a step FORWARD, not BACKWARD and realize, as i was taught, WE ARE ALL HERE FOR THE PURPOSE OF TAKING CARE OF ONE ANOTHER and not to bring DISPARE AND HARM...........please know that this is my TRUE feeling and hope we can as the song says "PUT A LITTLE LOVE IN OUR HEARTS"

please continue to take good care of yourselves and know that i truly LOVE ALL OF YOU.

TOGETHER WE COLLECTIVELY CAN MAKE CHANGE AND I BELIEVE WE WILL!!!

Dionne.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Dionne sent out the following message via her email fan club:

...i am certain most if not all of you have been bombarded with CNN and the news of the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman trial and i must say i was stunned at the verdict of NOT GUILTY........it took a while for this to settle in my brain since Zimmerman admitted killing this youngster.........my very dear friend Stevie Wonder has decided to keep his incredible talent from those states that carry the "Stand Your Ground" law here in the United States [[30) of them and i am going to join him as i feel as seriously concerned as he does that we have to start caring more about each other and conversing with regard to the values we ALL should share with regards to our lives and the well being of each other.............it's really a shame that we feel the need to have to carry a weapon to feel safe around each other.............i will miss those states that have supported my career for these past 50 years but i feel absolutely compelled to show solidarity with Stevie showing him he is not alone in feeling the way he does..........we in the entertainment world have always been the ones who looked at PEACEFUL WAYS THROUGH OUR MUSIC and again i feel the absence of our MUSIC in those places that in reality have [[in my opinion) no true regard for the preservation of life, and equality for all RACES, CREEDS, RELIGIONS, AND COLORS should take a step FORWARD, not BACKWARD and realize, as i was taught, WE ARE ALL HERE FOR THE PURPOSE OF TAKING CARE OF ONE ANOTHER and not to bring DISPARE AND HARM...........please know that this is my TRUE feeling and hope we can as the song says "PUT A LITTLE LOVE IN OUR HEARTS"

please continue to take good care of yourselves and know that i truly LOVE ALL OF YOU.

TOGETHER WE COLLECTIVELY CAN MAKE CHANGE AND I BELIEVE WE WILL!!!

Dionne.
    Thank you Reese and well done Dionne.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

I respectfully disagree. Back during the time of South African Apartheid, there was a strong musical statement named "Sun City" that included cross-generational music artists. It was very successful in getting the word out to those that were not really a part of the movement. Granted that this all occurred back in the mid 80's and the under 30 crowd was far more intelligent [[smile). I think something like that could work today.
    But, that was way back in the 80s. It was a different era. Today's youth are far removed from our generation's icons. I typically run into people under 40, of all races, who have no idea of who Wonder or Warwick are.

But, that was way back in the 80s. It was a different era. Today's youth are far removed from our generation's icons. I typically run into people under 40, of all races, who have no idea of who Wonder or Warwick are.
    I can believe that. I know what you are saying is true from first hand experience. Still I am amazed by the comments I have seen and received on Youtube from youngsters that praise the old school music vs todays garbage. Not my words but paraphrasing many younger music lovers there.

I can believe that. I know what you are saying is true from first hand experience. Still I am amazed by the comments I have seen and received on Youtube from youngsters that praise the old school music vs todays garbage. Not my words but paraphrasing many younger music lovers there.
    Just because many of them praise old school doesn't mean they know who sings the songs.
    Today's music isn't all garbage. It's really all subjective. But, a lot of people, we older people, will not even bother to listen to anything new. they have their minds made up already that everything is bad. I started a thread on Daft Punk the other day and not one person here has probably even bothered to listen to it. Robin Thicke and Bruno Mars also have 70s style hits out there, and hardly anyone here cares or even knows about it. I'll bet if Mary Wilson or Diana Ross had a hit song today, this forum would have 20 threads about it.

Stevie has always been a very conscious thinking person so I expected this from him. He also is
    the most covered primarily Soul music artist in genres outside including jazz. I don't care if they're only 22 in backwood Mississippi folks would have to had been in a coma since birth
    to not have heard of Stevie Wonder. That said I have to agree with soulster about the current big names like Jay Z though it seems most of their followers can be often oblivious
    to the fact that there are even social problems in this country.
    As far as new music I am CONSTANTLY seeking it out in a number of genres but no offense,
    Robin Thicke doesn't floor me, Bruno Mars I like on the radio but not enough to collect and
    Daft Punk has no appeal for me...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Stevie has always been a very conscious thinking person so I expected this from him. He also is
    the most covered primarily Soul music artist in genres outside including jazz. I don't care if they're only 22 in backwood Mississippi folks would have to had been in a coma since birth
    to not have heard of Stevie Wonder. That said I have to agree with soulster about the current big names like Jay Z though it seems most of their followers can be often oblivious
    to the fact that there are even social problems in this country.
    As far as new music I am CONSTANTLY seeking it out in a number of genres but no offense,
    Robin Thicke doesn't floor me, Bruno Mars I like on the radio but not enough to collect and
    Daft Punk has no appeal for me...
    Excellent post Splanky!

We also must consider that there are more people over the age of 30 in this country than under. People over 30 in this country carry far more economic clout than the younger generation today.

"it's really a shame that we feel the need to have to carry a weapon to feel safe around each other............."

Very profound. This says it all for me. Thank you Dionne Warwick

It's a generational thing. I would wager that most people under 30 have no clue as to whom either singer is. People need to see their own icons take a stand.
    Oh the bright side, Jay-Z and Beyonce did participate in the New York City March yesterday.

Jay-Z. Kanye West and others join the boycott:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...6pLid%3D347633

For this to truly be effective, shouldn't they also be boycotting the other 20+ states that have similar laws?

RossHolloway Guest
    I saw where the Rolling Stones are joining in too.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    For this to truly be effective, shouldn't they also be boycotting the other 20+ states that have similar laws?
    I think they are. Stevie Wonder is.

Very moving is right. I hope some Caucasian artists join in.

The Stand Your Ground Law in Florida has helped many in domestic violence cases, in fact 55% of those that have benefited from this law happen to be black. But ofcoure facts & reality can not enter into the discussion, just like its alright for Jay Z & Beyonce to cavort around the communist hell hole of Cuba giving their dollars to the murderous Castro brothers while thousand s of Black Cubans rot in Castros jails & mental institutions...just because they oppose Castro.I don't think we in Florida will miss any of these concerts.

Jay-Z, Kanye, Usher, and Madonna have now joined Wonder in the boycott of all states with the SYG law. Now we have three contemporary heavy-hitters in.

Jay-Z, Kanye, Usher, and Madonna have now joined Wonder in the boycott of all states with the SYG law. Now we have three contemporary heavy-hitters in.
    Great to see cross -generational cooperation huh? LOL hehehehehehehe,.........

Bruce Springsteen Pays Rousing Tribute to Trayvon Martin in Concert

http://www.spin.com/#articles/bruce-...1-shots-video/

Bruce Springsteen honored Trayvon Martin with an emotional performance Tuesday night in Limerick, Ireland. As the Star-Ledger was first to report, the show was the New Jersey rocker's first since a Florida jury found George Zimmerman not guilty in the shooting death of Martin, a 17-year-old African-American who was unarmed.

Springsteen said he wanted to "send this one out as a letter back home. For justice for Trayvon Martin." Then he led the E Street Band in "American Skin [[41 Shots)," a song inspired by the 1999 police shooting death of Amadou Diallo [[a live version appears on 2001's Live in New York City album). The Boss previously dedicated "American Skin [[41 Shots)" during a show last year in Philadelphia. The song includes the stirring repetition, "You can get killed just for living in your American skin."

Earlier, Stevie Wonder pledged to boycott Florida in the aftermath of the Zimmerman verdict. Beyoncé called for a moment of silence during a concert in Nashville, while Young Jeezy and Wyclef Jean shared Martin-inspired songs. The Roots' ?uestlove posted a powerful personal essay on Facebook after the acquittal. Lil Wayne's new "God Bless Amerika" video, although it never explicitly mentions Martin, juxtaposes footage of African-American children with lyrics condemning a national tolerance for killing.

Watch Springsteen's "American Skin [[41 Shots)" from a couple of different angles, if you prefer, below.

Play

Gah! What has the world come to when artists are ashamed, embarrassed, or scared to stand up for anything? Didn't these morons learn anything from history? Shit! Half of them wouldn't even be where they are today had it not been for people who put their names, reputations, livelihoods, and lives on the line for justice.

Why is everyone honoring this kid who was known as trouble maker? I don't get it. If George did not have a gun with him he probally would be dead. There are many of innocent kids killed everyday and no one is honering them My 19 year old niece was shot and killed at a party a couple of weeks ago. It was a young black male who was drunk and decided to start shooting everyone at the party. Why isn't she being honored? Because she isn't black? There is so much black on white killings that the media never talks about. I am sorry but there are so many kids killed everyday black, white, hispanic, and asian and it is wrong that Tayfon is the only one people are talking about. I really feel if George was black the media would have never picked up this story. Everyone should be equal black and white.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 07-23-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Why is everyone honoring this kid who was known as trouble maker? I don't get it.
    It's because he wasn't. It sounds like you've been watching too much Fox news.

If George did not have a gun with him he probally would be dead. There are many of innocent kids killed everyday and no one is honering them My 19 year old niece was shot and killed at a party a couple of weeks ago. It was a young black male who was drunk and decided to start shooting everyone at te party. Why isn't she being honored? Because she isn't black?
    Look: an adult with a loaded, cocked gun went after an innocent Black teenager because he didn't think he belonged there. Those are the facts. Tryvon Martin did not attack Zimmerman. The evidence proved that there was none of Zimmerman's DNA on Martin or his gun. If, as the defense had alleged, Martin had "used the concrete as a weapon", Zimmerman would not have been shown on the police surveillance video walking around the police station. he would have had a massive head trauma and would have been taken to the ER, not have two band-aids on his head. For all we know, Zimmerman did that to himself to make it look like he was attacked because he knew he fucked up. And, that is only among the other tons of lies he was caught in. The problem is that the racist jury believed Zimmerman and the police. Ain't no justice for an innocent Black man in America!

There is so much black on white killings that the media never talks about. I am sorry but there are so manty kids killed everyday black, white, hispanic, and asian and it is wrong that Tayfon is the only one people are talking about. I really feel if George was black the media would have never picked up this story.
    You do not have the facts on your side. Most crime is against people of the same race. A Black person is much more likely to meet with violence at the hands of another Black person. Likewise with two whites. Feel free to check the stats on your own.

I agree most crimes are against people of the same race. The problem that I have is when a white kills a black it becomes world news and when black kills a white person the media doesn't really talk about it. Also when Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman were killed by OJ. I really don't remember the president talking about how Ron could have been his son. Did any other celebrity give tributes and moments of silence at their concerts for Nicole or Ron. I don't think so. There wasn't all these protests on the streets when OJ was let go by the jury. What makes Tayfon more important?? And what is wrong with watching Fox news. I watch all news and make up my mind. You must be watching way too much NBC news...

The problem is that the racist jury believed Zimmerman and the police. Ain't no justice for an innocent Black man in America!

And now the Jury was racist. Boy how funny Lol Lol... Thats the problem. When something doesn't go your way then they have to be ... Have you ever considered the jury felt they didn't have enough evidence to convict George of murder? And it had nothing to do with race?
    Last edited by vgalindo; 07-23-2013 at 11:13 PM.

I agree most crimes are against people of the same race. The problem that I have is when a white kills a black it becomes world news and when black kills a white person the media doesn't really talk about it...
    It becomes World news when the guy [[the white guy) is not arrest and is allowed to go home ..........WITH THE MURDER WEAPON!!!! That's when it becomes World News. When it takes thousands of people protesting all over the World to get the murderer arrested some 4 months after the crime!

The problem is that the racist jury believed Zimmerman and the police. Ain't no justice for an innocent Black man in America!

And now the Jury was racist. Boy how funny Lol Lol... Thats the problem. When something doesn't go your way then they have to be ... Have you ever considered the jury felt they didn't have enough evidence to convict George of murder? And it had nothing to do with race?
    This whole case started off as a racial situation. From Zimmerman's racial profiling and subsequent murder of an unarmed 17 year old, to the Sanford, Fl. Police allowing Zimmerman to go free based solely on his word. He was also allowed to keep the weapon he used to murder Trayvon Martin [[whom by the way was defending himself from Zimmerman.)

And what is wrong with watching Fox news.
    What's wrong with Fox news? They are extremely biased toward a gradually diminishing group of intolerant, bigoted, and very ignorant people, of whom are mostly older [[65+) rural White Americans who fear everyone who is not just like them, and push mis-information to rile up the conservatives. No one need look further than the rantings of people like Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly for proof. If you want to claim MSNBC as the oppisite of the same coin, you would be wrong because they have FACTS on their side. Sean Hannity wouldn't know a FACT if it bit him in the ass!