[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mary Wilson could never get a deal with a major record label at any time in the past. In today's market and at her age with her sales record, she won't get one.

If she wanted to release this CD on a self done basis, she could have done it. Others do.

But it never happens so she must not seriously want to do it.

Is there any point if she markets 500 copies to her core fan base? Maybe to the fans there is. But it doesn't do much for her. She must not care.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Mary Wilson could never get a deal with a major record label at any time in the past. In today's market and at her age with her sales record, she won't get one.

If she wanted to release this CD on a self done basis, she could have done it. Others do.

Is there any point if she markets 500 copies to her core fan base? Maybe to the fans there is. But it doesn't do much for her. She must not care.
    You are so last century! Artist don't need to sign contracts with major recording companies anymore. They make the majority of their money from live performances.

supremester Guest
    Mary has two singles on itunes, so I guess she could get more on there if she wants. Lots of artists don't have record deals because they want more than just distribution. Miss ross' last deal with Motown called for Motown to produce videos, promote and distribute. Ditto her EMI deal. She can't get a deal like that now, so she just has a distribution thing which is cool in a sense because the royalty rate is huge. She owns it all and gets the lion's share of the wholesale. I don't know if Mary can get that, but she could get them pressed and jobbed out to Amazon and itunes, plus sell at her shows, but her gigs are becoming less frequent. I think, if I were Mary, I would put out a CD with all her uncollected tracks together - including her 1979-81 stuff and plug it shamelessly everywhere I could. There's nothing contemporary about either cut we've heard anyway, and, if there are other good tracks like Darling Mother, I'd think she could generate enough interest in her sphere to make some money off of it. I would not, however, plug Life's Been Good To Me as the banality of the lyric would only hurt the project beyond her most ardent fan base who love, literally, everything she does.
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post