[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heat Wave July 1963 is on Fire.

Heat Wave is 50 years old this month. When I heard that one I knew Martha and The Vandellas were going to be big, the Marvelettes were going down and the Supremes did not yet come up around this time but Heat Wave was the record that gave Martha and The Vandellas real justification. That record was a fire cracker and Martha's voice was on fire, and Annette and Rosalyn rocked those background vocals it s the Vandellas not the Andantes. Happy Birthday to Annette and Martha July girls. I beleive that was the best record released on the Gordy label for the whole year and the best sounding recording next to Quicksand for the whole year at Motown.

It is a great song, but you have to be referring to the single Mono version. The Stereo version has much less impact...too soft and muddy sounding to me. No doubt, "Heat Wave" is an all time classic.

I'm surprised you think of "Quicksand" as a better recording though. It is a great song, just too much like "Heat Wave." [[And to think Martha even recorded "Earthquake" another natural disaster...!)

I didn't know it at the time [[that it was Motown that is), but it was the first Motown tune I ever heard and liked [[it made my personal top ten of records I liked, which I compiled weekly. I've still for the notebook!!)

To my view, this song was a true convergence of two units coming into their own: Martha & The Vandellas and Holland/Dozier/Holland. Of course the two had already scored to an extent with "Come and Get these Memories," but, to me, that seems more like a "practice run," and it didn't really showcase the true talents of either of those groupings. "Heat Wave" was simply explosive right out of the gate, though, and laid a real framework for what was evolving as the Motown Sound. In my mind it's a real milepost.

My dad was 9 years old when Heatwave was released, but he says he doesn't recall hearing it on the radio and he lived in Detroit at the time and was a frequent visitor to Hitsville. The Marvelettes were hardly going down, as you say. They would have at least 4 more years as hitmakers- their best chart showings coming in 1966-67.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-05-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Heat Wave is 50 years old this month. When I heard that one I knew Martha and The Vandellas were going to be big, the Marvelettes were going down and the Supremes did not yet come up around this time but Heat Wave was the record that gave Martha and The Vandellas real justification. That record was a fire cracker and Martha's voice was on fire, and Annette and Rosalyn rocked those background vocals it s the Vandellas not the Andantes. Happy Birthday to Annette and Martha July girls. I beleive that was the best record released on the Gordy label for the whole year and the best sounding recording next to Quicksand for the whole year at Motown.

"Heatwave" was a jam for the summer of 1963! It, along with Marvin Gaye's "Pride and Joy" were played at every family BBQ and gathering that summer we had. Those two records I remember the most from that time followed by Stevie's "Fingertips".

Heatwave did get some serious radio airplay on stations like WCHB & WKNR [[Detroit) and WCWA [[Toledo).

Marv, I thought you claimed to be in your late 40s? Just how old are you really? My youngest uncle is 53. That would have made him three in 1963. He doesn't even remember being three. Yet you can remember records played at family barbeques?? Strange. But then that would really make you older than 50.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-05-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Marv, I thought you claimed to be in your late 40s? Just how old are you really? My youngest uncle is 53. That would have made him three in 1963. He doesn't even remember being three. Yet you can remember records played at family barbeques?? Strange. But then that would really make you older than 50.
    Kam, I've never mentioned my age.......hehehehehehe! I will say this. I do have pictures dated May 1963 and they are in a park setting. They were actually takened at Walbridge Park in Toledo. I have startled my mother, my uncle, cousins and my brother [[who are all in the various shots) with detailed memories about what went on at that particular gathering and others. My mother has often reluctantly corrobrated my memories, she is also miffed at how I can remember all those things. So....................LOL!

The record exploded! And 50 years later still explodes. It has been written that the track was not that sophisticated, HDH was in the business of hits, firstly, and art secondly. The piano chords probably by Mr. Earl Van Dyke, played by most others would not reach out and grab the listener and not let them go if played by another.

Doctor Eddie Holland thank you for informing one and all about a symptom of high blood pressure, "Has high blood pressure got a hold of me?" This was after all 1963, we had as incredible as it is to believe, tobacco ads on television.

Thank you for the post, and the memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
    The record exploded! And 50 years later still explodes. It has been written that the track was not that sophisticated, HDH was in the business of hits, firstly, and art secondly. The piano chords probably by Mr. Earl Van Dyke, played by most others would not reach out and grab the listener and not let them go if played by another.

Doctor Eddie Holland thank you for informing one and all about a symptom of high blood pressure, "Has high blood pressure got a hold of me?" This was after all 1963, we had as incredible as it is to believe, tobacco ads on television.

I totally agree. It also had that "roaring 20's" feel to it. The type of sound that they did the "Charleston" to. Taking it further, it sounded like it came directly out of the Baptist Church! It started in a heavy groove and never let up.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post

Not only cigarette commericals on TV, but also, print ads with Doctors recommending certain brands! Beer and liquor commercials were routine.

I was about 5 at the time and while I don't remember "Heat Wave" from that far back, I do remember singing along to "Beechwood 4-5789" in the car with my parents and siblings on our way to [[or from?) the drive-in. Of course that means my sisters and I were all in our pajamas, standard dress for attending the drive-in in the summer when we were little. It's quite a vivid memory. I know I liked that song because our exchange [[exchange!) was "Kenwood" and our phone number fit perfectly into the song as "Kenwood 5-1989" so we always put in our own phone number when we sang along.

I realize in that paragraph I've mentioned 2 or 3 things younger people have never heard of...! Please forgive me!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I was about 5 at the time and while I don't remember "Heat Wave" from that far back, I do remember singing along to "Beechwood 4-5789" in the car with my parents and siblings on our way to [[or from?) the drive-in. Of course that means my sisters and I were all in our pajamas, standard dress for attending the drive-in in the summer when we were little. It's quite a vivid memory. I know I liked that song because our exchange [[exchange!) was "Kenwood" and our phone number fit perfectly into the song as "Kenwood 5-1989" so we always put in our own phone number when we sang along.

I realize in that paragraph I've mentioned 2 or 3 things younger people have never heard of...! Please forgive me!
    Kenneth, I can remember my brother Robert and I singing along to almost every Beatles song that came on the car radio in 1964! My Dad was a very talent driver that could turn around while driving and give us a whack if we didn't pipe down! Oh the memories I have of the sixties.........LOL!!!!

It is a great song, but you have to be referring to the single Mono version. The Stereo version has much less impact...too soft and muddy sounding to me. No doubt, "Heat Wave" is an all time classic.

I'm surprised you think of "Quicksand" as a better recording though. It is a great song, just too much like "Heat Wave." [[And to think Martha even recorded "Earthquake" another natural disaster...!)
    I totally agree that "Heat Wave" is a great song, however, I think the "B" side, "A Love Like Yours" got the shaft because of being on the "B" side. Had "A Love Like Yours" been released with a flip not as great as either of these, it would have hit #1. Listen to it. The song is fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Kenneth, I can remember my brother Robert and I singing along to almost every Beatles song that came on the car radio in 1964! My Dad was a very talent driver that could turn around while driving and give us a whack if we didn't pipe down! Oh the memories I have of the sixties.........LOL!!!!
    Yes, I think driving with one hand was a requirement of a parent back then. My dad could get us back in line without even taking his eyes off the road!

Also before seat belts [[sigh, dating myself again), our parents would always put their arm out to hold us in our seat if they had to brake suddenly. When I was car pooling to work in the 80s, I found I did that automatically to the passenger next to me as if I were going back in time 25 years before!
    Last edited by kenneth; 07-05-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I totally agree that "Heat Wave" is a great song, however, I think the "B" side, "A Love Like Yours" got the shaft because of being on the "B" side. Had "A Love Like Yours" been released with a flip not as great as either of these, it would have hit #1. Listen to it. The song is fabulous.
    Love the song. The only lousy thing about the earlier "Live Wire" set is they left it off somehow. I hope someone got fired for that! At least now we have the 50th anniversary singles collection so that's taken care of.

Yes, I think driving with one hand was a requirement of a parent back then. My dad could get us back in line without even taking his eyes off the road!

Also before seat belts [[sigh, dating myself again), our parents would always put their arm out to hold us in our seat if they had to brake suddenly. When I was car pooling to work in the 80s, I found I did that automatically to the passenger next to me as if I were going back in time 25 years before!
    I definitely can relate. LOL! In fact, i did not start wearing seat belts routinely until 1985.
    Last edited by marv2; 07-06-2013 at 12:48 AM.

My dad was 9 years old when Heatwave was released, but he says he doesn't recall hearing it on the radio and he lived in Detroit at the time and was a frequent visitor to Hitsville. The Marvelettes were hardly going down, as you say. They would have at least 4 more years as hitmakers- their best chart showings coming in 1966-67.
    Record wise 1963-1964 were dry years for the marvelettes most of their singles failed to reach the top 20 and they were some good records especially Locking Up My Heart #44 My Daddy Knows Best #50 something
    He's A Good Guy Yes He is #54 As Long As I Know He's Mine #47 Your My Remedy #48. Beechwood hit in 1962 #7 and 17 pop. The next big record came in late 1964 Too Many Fish in the Sea #15 rb and 25pop group was being neglected with great records.

Beechwood 45789 was a big record in the summer of 1962, i remember my aunt bringing that yellow tamla ditty to my house, HEAT WAVE hit in the summer of 1963 and it was a huge record. by the time i came out of summer camp and back into the city i couldn't get a copy of it.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Beechwood 45789 was a big record in the summer of 1962, i remember my aunt bringing that yellow tamla ditty to my house, HEAT WAVE hit in the summer of 1963 and it was a huge record. by the time i came out of summer camp and back into the city i couldn't get a copy of it.
    Thanks Franjoy56! I knew it was a memory from the summer because of the drive-in [[this was in the Detroit area so of course the drive-ins weren't open all year), but I see I was off by a year. So I was about 4 then...and still remember it as if it were yesterday.

Heatwave is one of the few examples of The Perfect Pop Record----- in my opinion---- because of [[1) The Band.... From the 2nd note u can tell the Funk Brothers were havin a B-L-A-S-T. [[2) Those high and very tight harmonies from The Vandellas. [[3) The way Martha shoots outta the gate at 190mph---scorchin'--- and never looks back.
    And
    To me.... One of the most important elements of a Perfect Pop Record---- The LYRICS!!!!! They speak to a feeling every human being has felt --- and enjoyed.
    Here's what one analyst said about the meaning of Heatwave. And I couldnt agree more

For anyone who has worked with teenagers a whole lifetime, or has the slightest rememberance of one's own teenage years, Heatwave doesn't need much explaining! The narrator is just dying to have sex for the first time, and she/he experiencing physical and mental changes she/he has never known before, and wonders what the hell it's all about, full stop!
    - Gerard, Toulouse, France

For me, Heat Wave is the perfect pop / soul record. Martha is metaphorically on fire as she leads with such force and raw emotion and Annette and Roz give her the most perfect backing vocals ever recorded on a 45. No record is complete without great backing vocals, IMHO. It's my favourite Motown record of all time, as every element in those grooves still gives me goose pimples and chills down my spine 50 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Heatwave did get some serious radio airplay on stations like WCHB & WKNR [[Detroit) and WCWA [[Toledo).
    WKNR did not launch until 10/31/63. A check of their weekly top hits charts reveals no mention of "Heat Wave" from then through the end of the year. "Quicksand" is listed consistently, however. --Jeff

With Martha, Rosalind, & Betty now in for Annette--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHrdf5qfW28

Quote Originally Posted by JL2648 View Post
    WKNR did not launch until 10/31/63. A check of their weekly top hits charts reveals no mention of "Heat Wave" from then through the end of the year. "Quicksand" is listed consistently, however. --Jeff
    Also add WXYZ to the list of area stations that would play "Heatwave"! That song was hot.......!

For anyone who has worked with teenagers a whole lifetime, or has the slightest rememberance of one's own teenage years, Heatwave doesn't need much explaining! The narrator is just dying to have sex for the first time, and she/he experiencing physical and mental changes she/he has never known before, and wonders what the hell it's all about, full stop!
    - Gerard, Toulouse, France

Hmmmm... as the father of a 15 year old young lady who is as beautiful as her mother, I never thought about the song that way, so again, Eddie Holland go on with your underrated lyrical self. I was an 8 year old "square" when the song came out, so I wasn't feeling anything in the same zip code of
    sex, but this is why I love this site!

A great song and I find it interesting to hear the unedited version on the Motown Box set. Would be great to listen to song on a hot summer day in a cabriolet with the roof down and the volume wound up

Wow what a jam,a classic stands the test of time and this goody is sure a classic.

supremester Guest
    I agree that the single mono version is by far the way to hear this classic. I think Heat Wave is one of HDH's best compositions. In hindsight, I can see why it didn't go #1, with a little tweaking, I think it would have. I don't think the flip, as recorded, would have hit.

Supremester - I don't see where the mono version could have been bettered. But I'm interested to hear where you think it could have been tweaked. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JL2648 View Post
    Jeff that is interesting that you brought this up. Marv is busted again. LOL. My dad would have listened to WKNR back then, fall of 1963. He was 9 and had not discovered soul radio-WCHB until later. This explains why he says he never heard Heatwave on the radio. He only listened to Keener and WXYZ and CKLW.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-06-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I think the "B" side, "A Love Like Yours" got the shaft because of being on the "B" side. Had "A Love Like Yours" been released with a flip not as great as either of these, it would have hit #1. Listen to it. The song is fabulous.
    "A Love Like Yours [[Don't Come Knocking Everyday)", while a brilliant song, probably could not have fared very well as a single at this point in the group's career. Perhaps a couple of years later that ballad would have flown, the way "Love [[Makes Me do Foolish Things)" all but outstripped its A-side [["You've Been in Love Too Long"), and "My Baby Loves Me," also a ballad of sorts, did quite well for them also. But at the time they were developing a hard-driving, beat-driven sound, and throwing a ballad in there would have confused the public, I think.

"A Love Like Yours," however, did go on to have a wonderful life, and was covered by:
    • Kim Weston
    • Ike & Tina Turner
    • Dusty Springfield
    • Cher
    • Harry Nilsson
    • Juice Newton
    • Manfred Mann
    • The Animals
    Last edited by BigAl; 07-06-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Jeff that is interesting that you brought this up. Marv is busted again. LOL. My dad would have listened to WKNR back then, fall of 1963. He was 9 and had not discovered soul radio-WCHB until later. This explains why he says he never heard Heatwave on the radio. He only listened to Keener and WXYZ and CKLW.
    Busted? Show me where I swore on a stack Bibles that "Heatwave" was played on Keener 13[[WKNR) in July 1963? HA! No better yet, show me where any of this shit is going cause me to lose money? LOL! Hell, that was 50 years ago and yes WKNR DID play "Heatwave" in 1963. I don't know anything about your Dad's radio listening habits 50 years ago. I know that "Heatwave" was played A LOT on the stations I mentioned in my earlier post. This is ridiculous LOL!!!!!

You didn't swear on a stack of Bibles but you did imply that Heatwave was played on WKNR in the summer. But the station didn't play much Top 40 prior to October, 31,1963. WKNR stuck pretty strictly to a playlist for years. Jeff said he didn't see any mention of Heatwave on KEENER'S charts. Heatwave was a summer record. Sure WKNR probably played it as an oldie on Golden Oldies Weekend. You do remember what those were, don't you? I wish we had bet some money on many things you've said. We'd be rich mofos in here.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-06-2013 at 10:42 PM.

I too remember it as a summer record and the dance we did in Philly on that was the Crossfire.

Funny how something gets ridiculous that you were serious about before you got proven wrong AGAIN! LOL. I'm laughing with John on this.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-06-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Funny how something gets ridiculous that you were serious about before you got proven wrong AGAIN! LOL. I'm laughing with John on this.
    How was I proven wrong? Also, I did not know I was being quizzed.

Here's a bit of the dance The CrossFire, which I haven't seen for quite a long time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UH98Qv0Cgo

Thanks, Nosey, for bringing it up.

You didn't swear on a stack of Bibles but you did imply that Heatwave was played on WKNR in the summer. But the station didn't play much Top 40 prior to October, 31,1963. WKNR adheared pretty strictly to a playlist for years. Jeff said he didn't see any mention of Heatwave on KEENER'S charts. Heatwave was a summer record. Sure WKNR probably played it as an oldie on Golden Oldies Weekend. You do remember what those were, don't you? I wish we had bet some money on many things you've said. We'd be rich mofos in here.
    I did not say that "Heatwave" was played on WKNR in the summer. I also was going to mention CKLW, but I was not sure if we even listened to it in 1963. Well there you go. It was released in Summer, so it may not have appeared on KEENER 13's charts by mid Fall. That does say anything about whether they played it or not! 50 years is a long time, but I still remember that song being played on that station and the others I listed!

Miz. Edson, honey. I done quit! Go look up the definition for the word "imply." I've said what I wanted to say.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-06-2013 at 08:34 PM.

supremester Guest
    LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
    Miz. Edson, honey. I done quit! Go look up the definition for the word "imply." I've said what I wanted to say.

supremester Guest
    Well first of all, let me state that I know I am talking about a beloved, classic record that launched Martha's career and really helped put Motown on the map and it's the height of presumptuousnosity for me to be suggesting ANYTHING to the gods known as HDH, but I have hindsight as my only defense.. I love the record, Martha and all that. However, I think it could have gone to #1. A) Martha's voice is a bit strident - especially for 1963 pop. I think that's why HDH cut her so far from the mic and have her toned down in the mix. This is compounded by the fact that Roz and Annette also sound so strident and kind of whinny. I would have warmed up their vocals and brought them up in the mix [[like in Dancing in The Street). Competing with Lesley Gore, The Chiffons, Shirrells, Gladys, Mary and Johhny Angel - I would have warmed them up. I've always felt that, with Martha's track, that DMF would have taken it to #1. B) In contrast, I'd have made the sax and vibe a little hotter and tambourine crisper with some echo to fill out the sound a bit - more like the chains in Nowhere To Run . C) FRANJOY DO NOT READ FURTHER: I'd have used The Andantes either in addition to or instead of. D) I'm not saying any of this would make it "better" but I do believe it might have charted higher [[which was all they cared about.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Supremester - I don't see where the mono version could have been bettered. But I'm interested to hear where you think it could have been tweaked. Thanks.

Supremester - That's an interesting take on things, and I appreciate your response. All of the voices on the recording are certainly intense to a very high level, and plaintive, as well. But for me, that's a big part of its beauty. It's head-to-head with what The Funk Bros. were doing here, and it's like being on a rollercoaster ride that keeps on going, and going faster and faster. That continual shot-out-of-a-cannon effect never fails to grab me. And it's never let go. Throw in the dance-factor that the tune has and this HDH creation couldn't be more satisfying and joyful to me. But your points are well-taken and could be how others felt about the recording.

Supremester.... I luv ya... U KNOW I do!!!! But I gotta disagree with ya. The whiny stridency in the Vandellas' voices is exactly what I like about Heatwave. It adds to the raw sense of urgency the song and the lyrics needed. The feeling of teenage excitement fits those voices and harmonies perfectly. For the same reason I love the Marvelettes Please Mr Postman with the real girls and not the Andantes, who would have made both records too "smooth". Another knockout for me is when Martha and the girls do the "do doo doo WOW" and the other background in Marvin Gaye's "Stubborn Kinda Fella"--- same high tight harmony..another of my all time favs. Let me point out that I also LOVE Shelly Fabares' "Johnny Angel" with those heavenly background vocals by Darlene Love and The Blossoms.... But Heatwave didn't need anything that sweet. I really like Martha's "My Baby Loves Me" with the Andantes backing her. Different emotional content in the lyric therefore a different musical approach . For Heatwave?? No thank you.

***Remember, Berry Gordy told the writers songs should tell a "story" as if it's happening NOW. Please excuse my frankness but the story in Heatwave is about a girl whose hormones are driving her wild "with desire". She is obviously ,young, extremely excited and inexperienced or she woudnt be asking the questions she does. I respectfully submit that is NOT a sedate or smooth frame of mind..... The music or in movie terms "the score" needs to match the intensity of the story line instrumentally and vocally. Everyone involved with Heatwave succeeded brilliantly: The Funk Brothers, Miss Martha, The Vandellas, Holland, Dozier and Holland. Whether it was number 1 or Number 91, this record kicks arse and is a BRILLANT cohesive piece of work********

------------ Your Honor, The Defense rests

P. S.
    What COULD have helped the Vandellas
    promotability during the Heatwave days might have been a few visits to The Supremes' wig stylist, Greg and some
    choreography lessons from Cholly Atkins [[or even The Marvelettes)....just sayin'

Still, I LOVE Heatwave, the way it is. I play the record often.

Some things are better "raw"....
    Last edited by LuvHangOva; 07-07-2013 at 05:51 AM.

I agree with Methusaleh2 and LuvHangOva. The points that Supremester cites as weaknesses are exactly those I love the most.

When I first heard "Heat Wave", I thought "This is the best record ever made". It is a source of shame to me that it never charted in the UK.

"Heat Wave" was the first Motown record I ever heard. I bought it on an EP: on the back cover, in tiny letters, was the legend "A Tamla Motown Production". I bought it because the Beatles had said repeatedly in interview that they loved Tamla Motown, and that was a good enough recommendation for me. But I did regret the months I'd spent going round record shops saying, "Do you have anything about the Tamla Motown? I think it's a kind of dance."

I rushed home on the bus with the record, went upstairs, took it out of the sleeve, put it on the gramophone and stood well back. It was like nothing I'd ever heard before. Even the subject matter was alien. What was a "heat wave"? [[I'm British, by the way.)

I've never looked back ...
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 07-07-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Keith she said it was like a Heat Wave burning in her heart so I guess it's a bit like indigestion.

supremester Guest
    I am enjoying this discussion, however I am being slightly misunderstood on one little thing: the changes I suggest for the record are not so that I would like it better - I love it as it is [[for the most part) these are suggestions that I feel, and still feel, would have helped it fare better on The Hot 100 and there is often a clear difference in those two objectives. I do this a lot when I feel a record hasn't reached it's fullest potential, so bear with me of just tell me to STFUA! Eventually, I'll get the hint. Take Locking Up My Heart, for example. I love the verse so much - it has hit written all over it, but Wanda's falsetto destroys it's ability to succeed on the pop chart. I am a very later bloomer to appreciate The Marvelettes. My buddy Steve bought their Anthology just so we could get high and laugh at it. Now, in my wizened dotage, I see their charm. [[To a point, He's A Good Guy still gets laughs) So my analytical ear doesn't stop at flop singles - Heat Wave being an example. And I still think DMF would have taken it to #1 and save "raw" for a more appropriate occasion.
    Last edited by supremester; 07-07-2013 at 06:42 PM.

the Supremes did have a go at Heatwave on the Holland Dozier Holland album. Diana tried a rougher approach, but Martha Reeves owned that song. By the way, I like the version with the longer sax solo.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-07-2013 at 06:48 PM.

supremester Guest
    I don't count that one-off, tepid, quickie album filler attempt as anything more than what it is. Had HDH taken their original track to DMF and put time and effort into the session for single release, I think it would have gone #1. Assuming it was in the new HDH Ross key, that is. Like all singers, Martha's voice is an acquired taste. I think it held her back. I was always a huge Martha fan, but when the strength of an act is measured by, in order, album sales, ticket sales THEN single sales ......you can see the issue. Matha never had a hit album, Watchout! was the biggest non-hits package and did only marginally well. The follow up, with Honey Chile, had dismal results - much like their Live album. Heat Wave and Dance Party were weak, while Sugar n Spice and Natural Rescouces didn't even chart. Meanwhile, WDOLG, on the strength of one single, took off instantly and Liverpool was scheduled, recorded and released in 7 weeks because of that instant success. The public liked Diana's voice. I'm not saying anyone is better, just who liked what. I admit Motown mangled Dance Party HORRIBLY, and Martha has a huge legitimate gripe there, but still, in hindsight, the general public never signed on as much and I think Diana Ross would have hit bigger with it. In fact, I have even pondered whether Nowhere To Run might have hit bigger with DMF. I know that's sacrilege, but it's such a strong track that I often wonder why it didn't chart higher. so naturally I think that Diana would have hit bigger with it, except I'm not convinced of that......just wondering. Gladys, Wanda, Kim????? Or am I just too impressed with the track and aren't being objective about it's bigger potential? Ditto Bless You & Black Magic. When those came out, I said to myself, "Myself, Martha is BACK.........FINALLY." And............nada. Please don't say lack of promotion because while you may be right about some of her Motown stuff, MCA was working her album to death and couldn't get a thing off it.
    the Supremes did have a go at Heatwave on the Holland Dozier Holland album. Diana tried a rougher approach, but Martha Reeves owned that song. By the way, I like the version with the longer sax solo.