[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Nightflight" Tue July 2, 9P-12M ET: 14 Years and I've never done a tribute to her!

Howdy, "Nightflight" Listeners! Well...as the headline says..."Nightflight" has been on the air for 14 years. I've done tributes to many great artists of the '60s, and '70s over the years...but I totally missed this remarkable lady. Why? I have no idea. Maybe it just wasn't time. But now it is! The Lady? The Queen Of Soul....Aretha Franklin!! I'll be covering Aretha's music from Columbia and before...and into Atlantic and Arista. This Lady has a quite a long career as we know....and I'll try to address it all...or as much as I can...tonight...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and we are streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org
    Thanks!
    John

Please note...I didn't mention that WOMR has a new webpage and the sound is even better ...www.womr.org And with this change, our podcasts are unlimited ...so over the next few weeks or so, I will be putting back up the "Nightflight" interviews in podcast! Thanks! John

RossHolloway Guest
    Oh, wow this should be a great show. Aretha and brown liquor got me thru some dark days of graduate school at Marquette lol. I don't know if I have enough liquor on hand to get me thru 3 hours tonight. If you're taking song request please play: Good to Me As I Am to You off her Lady Soul album, Prove It from Aretha Arrives and Tracks of My Tears off her Soul 69 album. Those three songs always do it for me.

John, this sounds like a fantastic sonic journey you are about to take us on this evening. Hopefully you will have some Aretha extended mixes that you put together to add to our listening pleasure. I have always been fascinated by Aretha's greatly under appreciated "One Step Ahead," recorded while she was on Columbia Records.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Oh, wow this should be a great show. Aretha and brown liquor got me thru some dark days of graduate school at Marquette lol. I don't know if I have enough liquor on hand to get me thru 3 hours tonight. If you're taking song request please play: Good to Me As I Am to You off her Lady Soul album, Prove It from Aretha Arrives and Tracks of My Tears off her Soul 69 album. Those three songs always do it for me.
    Rossholloway....great tracks you requested...and you'll hear them! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    John, this sounds like a fantastic sonic journey you are about to take us on this evening. Hopefully you will have some Aretha extended mixes that you put together to add to our listening pleasure. I have always been fascinated by Aretha's greatly under appreciated "One Step Ahead," recorded while she was on Columbia Records.
    Mark....thanks for your request...a lovely song I had never heard....I'll definitely play it for you. Remixes? I only have 2...but I'll play them...thanks for asking, my friend!

Great news about the reboot of the WOMR web site. Now I can listen to your interviews as podcasts! Hope you are having a great summer.

From Jimmy's Webb to Aretha's Franklin, that's Nightflight! Good music from all corners of the globe [[not that a globe actually has corners). Would love to hear "Lee Cross" from the Columbia years and "Angel" from the Atlantic years. And of course "Ain't No Way"!

Hee hee....globe.....corners....love it!! I got your requests in the oven now....thanks, my friend!!

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Hee hee....globe.....corners....love it!! I got your requests in the oven now....thanks, my friend!!
    Nothin' says lovin' like something from the oven!

Quote Originally Posted by dba View Post
    Great news about the reboot of the WOMR web site. Now I can listen to your interviews as podcasts! Hope you are having a great summer.
    dba...yes!!! Sort of exciting. Thanks....hope your summer is great for you...but then, you are in NYC....how could it not be!

Wow! When John announced an Aretha tribute I Jump[[ed) To It because he always works overtime to Get It Right. I'll be here at nine to get the 411 on the hot grooves he's worked up this week! See y'all on the Freeway Of Love in a bit!

Super Duper John! Should be a Franklinastic show tonight!

Howard in Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Wow! When John announced an Aretha tribute I Jump[[ed) To It because he always works overtime to Get It Right. I'll be here at nine to get the 411 on the hot grooves he's worked up this week! See y'all on the Freeway Of Love in a bit!
    Glen Wood...you just CAN'T be beat......glad you're hear!

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    Super Duper John! Should be a Franklinastic show tonight!

Howard in Long Beach, CA

Howard...GREAT that you're here.....No...YOU are Arethrilling!

I tend to always hear En Vogue's version of Giving Him Something He Can Feel instead of Aretha's version on the radio these days so this reminds me what a fantastic and definitive version she did of this....

Along with Jimmy Mack and Nathan Jones, there was Lee Cross! Thanks John!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    I tend to always hear En Vogue's version of Giving Him Something He Can Feel instead of Aretha's version on the radio these days so this reminds me what a fantastic and definitive version she did of this....
    Glen....I wholeheartedly [[great Scrabble word) agree with you!!

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Along with Jimmy Mack and Nathan Jones, there was Lee Cross! Thanks John!
    No Johnny Raven??

"Lee Cross" was recorded in New York on February 8, 1964 and first released in 1965.

"Lee Cross" was recorded in New York on February 8, 1964 and first released in 1965.
    Thank you!

No Johnny Raven??
    Don't forget John Henry! And think there was quite a few of those guys. Can we say Johnny Angel? He was the leader of the pack!

Don't forget John Henry! And think there was quite a few of those guys. Can we say Johnny Angel? He was the leader of the pack!

But he would get so angry!!!

And SOOOO many Bills...Laura's and JMC's and the 5th Dimensions'

Just tuning in...

If you haven't played "Take a Look," would you be able to?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Just tuning in...

If you haven't played "Take a Look," would you be able to?
    Welcome Kenneth!! Haven't played it....but i will add it to the list for you...surely!

And SOOOO many Bills...Laura's and JMC's and the 5th Dimensions'
    But Bill never seems to have a last name?

Love that "Baby Baby Baby" song...sounds like Carolyn Franklin in the background. I think she wrote some songs that Aretha sang, on her early Atlantic albums.

I love her Columbia material though when I was young I thought it was awful. But I've come to really appreciate it and the way she approached the standards. I guess she can sing anything.

But Bill never seems to have a last name?
    Well...there's "Carousel"s Billy Bigalow's "My Boy Bill"

How to Murder Your Wife?

Master of Eyes [[The Deepness Of Your Eyes) is track #10 on the Hey Hey Hey The Other Side Of The Sky album.

The unedidted version of "Chain Of Fools" was the version that was used on the quad album Best of Aretha. In the quad version prominent horns were added.

John;
    You've certainly have a groove going on tonight with your spotlight on Aretha. Aretha's most recent recording on her own label, "A Woman Falling Out Of Love," which had an undetected defect in the initial manufacturing process, and caused a recall, effected sales. In my opinion, this recording has a lot to offer and it unfortunately fell between the cracks. If you ever get a chance to hear it, you'll be amazed! Meanwhile, a great show!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    How to Murder Your Wife?
    ............................Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Master of Eyes [[The Deepness Of Your Eyes) is track #10 on the Hey Hey Hey The Other Side Of The Sky album.
    Thanks so much, Carole!!

The unedidted version of "Chain Of Fools" was the version that was used on the quad album Best of Aretha. In the quad version prominent horns were added.
    Thank you, Joseph!!!

John;
    You've certainly have a groove going on tonight with your spotlight on Aretha. Aretha's most recent recording on her own label, "A Woman Falling Out Of Love," which had an undetected defect in the initial manufacturing process, and caused a recall, effected sales. In my opinion, this recording has a lot to offer and it unfortunately fell between the cracks. If you ever get a chance to hear it, you'll be amazed! Meanwhile, a great show!

Thank you, Mark!!!!

How about 'First Snow In Kokomo' also from "Young, Gifted & Black'?

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    How about 'First Snow In Kokomo' also from "Young, Gifted & Black'?
    Sure, Carole....you're on the list!!!

Thanks for playing Aretha's "One Step Ahead." Amazingly, this single never made it on any of her Columbia albums. However it was finally included as an "extra" on the recent Aretha Columbia boxset. Check out the many hip-hop remixes of his posted on youtube. Proving that Aretha has always been "one step ahead!"

Thanks for playing Aretha's "One Step Ahead." Amazingly, this single never made it on any of her Columbia albums. However it was finally included as an "extra" on the recent Aretha Columbia boxset. Check out the many hip-hop remixes of his posted on youtube. Proving that Aretha has always been "one step ahead!"
    Check and double check!

RossHolloway Guest
    Finally! Thanks MJ!

Finally! Thanks MJ!

Mr Patience!!! And I mean that! [[*smile)

Such a beautiful song. Thank you John!

Such a beautiful song. Thank you John!
    My pleasure, my fine bucko!

RossHolloway Guest
    Oh...Midnight.. I just got your Soul 69 joke..I'm telling Ms. Franklin about you when I see her.

RossHolloway Guest
    Aretha's Columbia material makes me think that they were trying to turn her into a cross between a Dionne Warwick and a Nancy Wilson. It's nice, but I think the true Aretha shows up in her early work at Atlantic.

John, "Love All The Hurt Away" is the duet Aretha did with George Benson, that I was trying to think of.

Oh...Midnight.. I just got your Soul 69 joke..I'm telling Ms. Franklin about you when I see her.

I don't know WHAT you're talking about, Rossholloway. [[*wink)