[REMOVE ADS]

The Sweep Of Talent, The Pull Of Beauty: 13 Mins. Of Ross' "RED HOT R&B" [TV, 1987]

Diana Ross in full bloom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufHQkj39zN0

Thank you, Diana1983Ross, for the YouTube posting.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 06-30-2013 at 07:35 AM.

supremester Guest
    I have a tendency to dismiss this special because I don't like Dirty Looks AT ALL and a couple other things that keep me from appreciating the work and message of this Emmy Award winning TV event. I love 991/2 and the duet with Billy Dee. An editor might have tightened this up a bit and made it a classic.........it was close.

"99 1/2" still just blows me away...

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    "99 1/2" still just blows me away...
    If only that song had been a bit longer. It was a surprise.

I loved this special. Such a shame it ain't on DVD.
    The duet with Billy Dee should have been a proper studio duest on her 'Red Hot' album. That would have been great.
    Bernadette Peters is fantastic in the small part she had to play
    The only thing that rattles me is the distraction during Etta's big number. Why couldn't they have let her sing the whole damn song rather than having Diana interject with her lines? Shame.

LDL - Here's Etta in her own words about appearing on the show. See the paragraph starting with "I was moving into . . ."

http://books.google.com/books?id=4-5...ed=0CCQQ6AEwAg

P.S. I thought Bernadette was terrific in the show, too, just as you mentioned.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 07-01-2013 at 09:35 AM.

I loved this special for several reasons. The segment where Diana sang 99 1/2 and then it went into "Summertime" was great. All segments with Diana as the older Bertie Pickett were great to see. It had been years since Diana had done any acting, and this showed she still had the chops. Bernadette Peters nailed her part. Loved the whole scene with her and Diana in the recording studio. I loved "Selfish one" and "Tell mama". The ending with Diana singing with Bertie on "Forever Young" was also a great scene.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    I loved this special. Such a shame it ain't on DVD.
    The duet with Billy Dee should have been a proper studio duest on her 'Red Hot' album. That would have been great.
    Bernadette Peters is fantastic in the small part she had to play
    The only thing that rattles me is the distraction during Etta's big number. Why couldn't they have let her sing the whole damn song rather than having Diana interject with her lines? Shame.
    I agree with you. I thought why book Etta James on your special and disrespect her? Diana was also claiming Etta to be one of her favorites. I've seen this special being sold on DVD.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-01-2013 at 10:18 AM.