[REMOVE ADS]

Detroit 1-8-7 and Motown

Have any of the Motown fans been watchng the ABC police drama Detroit 187? It's a police drama set in the Motorcity that is filmed on location throughout the city. I've watched a few episodes and have noticed that it uses some Motown tunes during the show or to promote the series. So far, I've heard Ball of Confusion and Reach Out I'll Be There. I assume Motown has licensed some of its classics to be featured on the series.

Detroit 187 is the second or third prime time series to be filmed in Detroit. HBO's Hung is also shot there, and Detroit is regularly featured on The First 48, a reality crime series. The Motown Museum has even popped up in a few montages on Detroit 187. Hung seems to feature more suburban locations, but one episode did include a scene at the old Tiger/Briggs stadium
    Is it a good thing for the city of Detroit?
    I was also wondering if Detroit 187 employs local actors, camera technicians, electricians, grips, etc.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-19-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Its a pretty good show Kam and I've heard the songs among others, I hope its good for Detroit both televison wise and economically. Maybe you could find the answers here at the sister forum:

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=5922

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Have any of the Motown fans been watchng the ABC police drama Detroit 187? It's a police drama set in the Motorcity that is filmed on location throughout the city. I've watched a few episodes and have noticed that it uses some Motown tunes during the show or to promote the series. So far, I've heard Ball of Confusion and Reach Out I'll Be There. I assume Motown has licensed some of its classics to be featured on the series.

Detroit 187 is the second or third prime time series to be filmed in Detroit. HBO's Hung is also shot there, and Detroit is regularly featured on The First 48, a reality crime series. The Motown Museum has even popped up in a few montages on Detroit 187. Hung seems to feature more suburban locations, but one episode did include a scene at the old Tiger/Briggs stadium
    Is it a good thing for the city of Detroit?
    I was also wondering if Detroit 187 employs local actors, camera technicians, electricians, grips, etc.
    I've seen a few episodes. There was an article in the papers about Detroit city leaders worrying that a crime series set in Detroit might make the city look bad. But ultimately, it might have the opposite effect, boost tourism and interest just like Miami Vice did for Miami. How can you do a show about Detroit and not use music from Motown?
    More Motown could be incorporated into the show. Have some Motown tunes playing in the background of scenes that take place in taverns or Coney Dog joints, etc. You've got a genre of music strongly identified with Detroit. Take advantage of it. Harry Weinger could use the show to help him sell more Motown CDs.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 10-19-2010 at 03:40 PM.