[REMOVE ADS]

Velvelettes in the UK

Just back from the Prestatyn Soul Weekender !!!!!
    Tavares put on an incredible show, Dean Parrish was [[as always) very good, UK guy Tony Momrelle & his band put on a great performance ... AND ... the Velvelettes delivered a VERY smooooth live show.
    Starting out doing covers of Motown anthems [["Money", "My Guy" "Dancing In The Street", etc.) they then went on to do all their own tracks. A very good, polished & professional show it was too.
    The ladies were very friendly and helpful, seemed to enjoy their post-show "signing session" enormously and were just generally all around nice people.
    I left site early Sunday afternnon [[as I had to meet up with my wife who had been enjoying a spa break in Chester), so disn't really get to say bye ... BUT .... yesturday I was wondering around Chester city centre and came upon one of the ladies .... they were all out shopping in Chester before they had to fly home ... so that was an added bonus.
    MIND YOU .... meeting her on the street like that so phased me, that I forgot to take her photograph.
    I did get loads of photos of them around the weekender site, during their sound check plus during the actual show ......... so I'll post a couple of those up when I've had the chance to 'catch up' and download the pictures to my computer.
    MORE LATER.
    Last edited by jsmith; 10-19-2010 at 12:42 PM.

topdiva1 Guest
    Please post Velvelettes photos - thanks!

Put together before the weekender actually took place .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tj2EdEW2ag
    I'm sure there will be footage of th Velvelettes performing at the weekender posted on youtube before the week is out.

The ladies before their show .........
    Attachment 1555

The ladies with Tavares [[after Tavares show) .........
    Attachment 1558

jsmith I am loving these pics of the ladies. Thanks for sharing.

The Velvelettes sound check ........
    Attachment 1560

Same -- another snap .........
    Attachment 1561

During the actual show, Cal tries to catch me with a right hook as I get too
    close for comfort .......
    Attachment 1566

The ladies in full flight ..........
    Attachment 1572

Cal goes all B&W ..........
    Attachment 1573

Taking the weight off ..........
    Attachment 1574

John: Have you a review of the Tavares performance at all? And which of the brothers were on stage besides Butch?

These days the group consists of Chubby [[Antone), Pooch [[Arthur), Butch [[Feliciano) & Tiny [[Perry).
    Their performance was simply great !!!!
    As they told me before the show ........ we're not a disco group, we're a soul band who had some disco hits.
    They were really appreciative that I had emphasised this fact in my bio on them & also that I had requested they include a few of their most soulful non-hits in the show.
    Their [[usual) UK backing band were supporting them but these guys didn't know more than one of their soul tracks, so they sang 4 or so snippets of songs accapella ..... things like "Strangers In Dark Corners" & "I know the Inside Story".
    Just about every other song was one of their big hits though they did include a couple of covers in the show [["Turn Your Love Around" being about the best of these).

Here are the guys on stage ...........
    Attachment 1575

........ and off stage .........
    Attachment 1576

Thanks John. I reckon their self-assessment is about right. The disco-flavoured hits were, actually, very good, and they stand the test of time [[although Whodunnit was always too poppy for me). But basically they're a soul group blessed with some great lead voices, particularly Chubby. Wow, Strangers In Dark Corners a cappella...

Ok I have been dying to ask this, did Tavares and the Velvelettes sing anything together ?

No, they performed on the same stage .... but on different nights .......
    Tavares on the Friday; Velvelettes on the Saturday [[also on that night -- Dean Parrish).

Thanks jsmith
    Sounds like Tavares and The Velvelettes would have been a good grouping together.

Great photos, back story.