[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I finally came upon the names of 3 of the performers, but still nary a review of the event - 1) Aanysa 2) Tori & Troi

https://twitter.com/toriandtroi/stat...48399643836416
    When I looked at this photo, my first thought was Jean Terrell and Scherrie Payne

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Marv will probably reply to your question at the same time that he replies to how he heard 5th Dimension's Love Hangover before it was recorded.

I did a search too. This may be an event that was cancelled 'cause I couldn't finad anything either. According to Mary's posted schedule, on Friday, December 16th, she was at the Wichita Art Museum in Wichita, Kansas.
    Look again, the date you quote is from 2011.
    Because the 3 young performers have posted photos on facebook and/or twitter, the event did take place- but ... funny.... Mary Wilson is not in a single picture with or mentioned by the girls. If she was lending her name to this project in order to sell seats, one might expect that someone would remark about a renowned solo star's presence/absence. Or did no-one notice or care?
    Why would such an in-demand solo star not be mentioned further or pictured?
    I wonder if ticket sales were underwhelming and the girls performed before family, friends and a few curious others.

I did look again. You are right. I was wrong. I deleted my post. I can admit my mistakes.
    Last edited by milven; 06-28-2013 at 10:00 PM.

No need to wait for Marv... it appears he's now avoiding this thread because he's been challenged to admit again that he is off the mark.
    Here's the info about the show you mention [[mentioned before you edited your post) , but please note the date ....

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...e+Love+friends

And again, Luke and Marv indicate that they'll likely be there... but no reviews or remarks about the event posted here by either of them after the fact. Hmmh... interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    My goodness what an active thread! I think The Temptations dodged a bullet with Dennis Edwards: the man who did the impossible: replacing David Ruffin. Jean Terrell, talented as she is, Supremely so in fact, wasn't able to fill Diana Ross' shoes. I do not believe at all the theory about Motown killing JMC as too much occurred to refute that. I DO believe many Supremes fans, just like me, lost interest. I just talked to a woman on the plane my age who "liked" the DR&TS hits, "LOVED" Up The Ladder - but no other JMC cuts. She likes Ross solo best except DoobeDoodnDoobe [["it gives me a back ache") Each time a new Supreme popped up, it was another strange face. I don't even think anyone but a few were even comparing the two acts anymore. JMC had their hits, Miss Ross had Ain't No Mountain and it was over. The Supremes got boing trying to emulate DR&TS years too late and new groups made them look silly. Some of their TV appearances are humiliating to even watch. I don't think Lady Sings The Blues had any effect on JMC cuz by then, it was all over but the shouting. They were playing to half empty rooms in Vegas - bad sign. I love The Flos - and am friendly with Lynda, Scherrie and Joyce but I do not approve of them issuing CDs of DR&TS/JMC hits under the name The Supremes. The Scherrie years is fine by me, however. The interesting thing about Mary vs FLOS is that with The FLOS you got 3 real Motown signed Supremes - including 3 lead singers while with Mary, you got a bg singer taking over the lead. The FLOS were doing a real Supremes show while Mary was doing her solo show with Supremes songs. I don't know what the issue was. I saw Mary live in the 80's and no way was it a Supremes act. I applaud Mary's artistic vision to sing lead in her own show, but don't accept that as "preserving the legacy" or any such silliness. Also, I think it's mean spirited of Mary to fight former lead singers of The Supremes for singing their hits. Also, I applaud Motown for not allowing Mary to perform as The Supremes with her doing the leads in front of two unknowns - that is counter-productive to the legacy. In a perfect world, they'd all be BFFs and out doing their thing together.
    Well if the lady you are speaking of never heard Stoned Love, River Deep [[with my baby Levi, Floy JOy and Nathan Jones) she really didn't know the new Supremes at all, but there they were all in the top 20 regardless of the chart numbers.

and to add to this on each of the albums where Terrell was featured there is at least 1-2 album tracks on each album that could have and should have been released as hit single examples:

Right On: "Take A Closer Look At me, or "Wait A minute before you leave"[[dub in Mary and Cindy) The Lovin Country [[edit for single release. right behind "Up the Ladder to the Roof
    Instead of "Everybodys Got the right To love"

New Ways
    : "I Wish I were your Mirror" "Together We can make such sweet music
    which would have followed up "Stoned Love"

Touch "
    Here comes the Sunrise" instead of "Touch" and released right as "Nathan Jones" fell off the top 20.

Floy Joy "Over and Over" in addition to all of the singles released or intead of one of them.they were all excellent choices esp. Automatically Sunshine.

Produced by Jimmy Webb "All I Want" instead of I Guess I'll miss the Man"

and a better spin edit/promotion on "Bad Weather" hands up!!!!
    Last edited by franjoy56; 06-28-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: omitted word.

The story that BG would "wipe his hands" off the Supremes is just a fable, like other questionable Motown stories [[especially the bogus PR stories surrounding the Jackson 5 around the same time). Jean, Mary & Cindy were able to successfully carry on until 1972 when Jean got tired of it. After that, the group never really recovered despite the presence of Cindy, Scherrie and Susaye. Wished Linda stayed longer than she did too. I think if Jean had stayed, it likely would've continued the success of the Supremes but I think other groups in other labels [[Three Degrees, Pointer Sisters, Labelle) destroyed the Supremes better than Motown could and Motown was not focusing much on music in the latter half of the 1970s after Marvin Gaye almost single handedly changed the rules so I guess the Supremes were doomed anyway.
    Last edited by midnightman; 06-29-2013 at 02:46 AM.

Awesome thoughts! I will put my 2 cents worth in:
    Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    and to add to this on each of the albums where Terrell was featured there is at least 1-2 album tracks on each album that could have and should have been released as hit single examples:

Right On: "Take A Closer Look At me, or "Wait A minute before you leave"[[dub in Mary and Cindy) The Lovin Country [[edit for single release. right behind "Up the Ladder to the Roof
    Instead of "Everybodys Got the right To love" "Take A Closer Look" has a mundane verse and Loving Country is pure album cut material and would not get played. . Both are great productions. I would have followed Up The Ladder immediately with Wait a Minute, then at it's peak, release Then we Can Try Again or You Move Me. Singles need a strong verse AND chorus with a hook. These three have all. and I would keep The Andantes on all three. I would have delayed Stoned Love until Right On's third single had dropped.

New Ways
    which would have followed up "Stoned Love" I feel "Together" is too sappy lyrically and melodically it's only slightly better. There is no hook. Radio would not have touched it. "Mirror" was a strong possibility but needed some work and crisper vocals from all in the last half of the song. My choice: a radio edit of "It's Time To Break Down" because it has a cool jam vibe to it and unusual feel. It's what POP radio wants.

Touch "
    Here comes the Sunrise" instead of "Touch" and released right as "Nathan Jones" fell off the top 20. There isn't a sure shot to follow up Nathan Jones. My picks: Time And Love or a reworked Life Beats. Sunrise?? No way would that hit top 40. This is a weak album for radio. The Supremes were a singles act and Frank Wilson was dry. Touch was proof of that. It works on the album but is an absurd choice for radio.

Floy Joy "Over and Over" in addition to all of the singles released or intead of one of them.they were all excellent choices esp. Automatically Sunshine. I disagree about Over and Over and would have requested a smoother jean vocal for YWSSL and added Andantes to that as well as Sunshine for a sweeter, fuller sound.

Produced by Jimmy Webb "All I Want" instead of I Guess I'll miss the Man" I would have released both - but with stronger backgrounds on them. IGIMTM needed a fuller sound for radio.

Nothing could save this except, maybe, Mary leading.
    Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post

Instead of "Everybodys Got the right To love"

New Ways
    which would have followed up "Stoned Love"

Touch "
    Here comes the Sunrise" instead of "Touch" and released right as "Nathan Jones" fell off the top 20.

Floy Joy "Over and Over" in addition to all of the singles released or intead of one of them.they were all excellent choices esp. Automatically Sunshine.

Produced by Jimmy Webb "All I Want" instead of I Guess I'll miss the Man"

Jean had a great run with The Supremes,but her heart just wasn't into it,like Mary Diana Lynda Scherrie or Susaye,they are still singing today,these ladies love singing,and entertaining,I really think Jean wanted out,no matter what,Please stay positive

I'd have to agree with Red Hot. Even with Jean's solo LP....not sure her heart was really in it. She seems to have run hot and cold at times. Jean was a fantastic singer and did great things with the Supremes...only wish it had lasted longer.

Very astute observation RedHot. Jean's heart was in it in the beginning but is a practical and very down to earth lady. She hated the fans gushing on her and felt that singing was her job but her personal life was no one's business. She is still a very private person. Also, other things began to wear her down. After working so hard to re-establish the group with her at the helm she had to watch it all come tumbling down when Motown yanked promotion. She also reasoned that most of the group's success was off her voice, she did most of the work. Whereas Diana went along with this Jean felt she wasn't being compensated appropriately. Tensions between herself and Mary increased as Mary continually took non-combative views with Motown and wouldn't speak up about their treatment, at least until it was too late. Then she met the man she would marry and wanted to come off the road and have a family. I agree that even if Bad Weather had been a hit, Jean still woud have left

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Very astute observation RedHot. Jean's heart was in it in the beginning but is a practical and very down to earth lady. She hated the fans gushing on her and felt that singing was her job but her personal life was no one's business. She is still a very private person. Also, other things began to wear her down. After working so hard to re-establish the group with her at the helm she had to watch it all come tumbling down when Motown yanked promotion. She also reasoned that most of the group's success was off her voice, she did most of the work. Whereas Diana went along with this Jean felt she wasn't being compensated appropriately. Tensions between herself and Mary increased as Mary continually took non-combative views with Motown and wouldn't speak up about their treatment, at least until it was too late. Then she met the man she would marry and wanted to come off the road and have a family. I agree that even if Bad Weather had been a hit, Jean still woud have left
    Baymountainman. You said it all this is a very accurate and stunning observation of what happened with the Supremes while Jean Terrell was the lead singer, but we are very thankful the Supremes had a run after Diana Ross left the group, it was something Florence Ballard had been complaining about before she was fired.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Awesome thoughts! I will put my 2 cents worth in: Nothing could save this except, maybe, Mary leading.
    Great observations: I think you are right about "Its time to Break Down" that is a great track. But i still have some sentiment for "Here Comes the Sunrise" everything else you said I agree with but I still think "Over and Over" would have made some noise too.