[REMOVE ADS]

Buttered popcorn and meet the supremes

On the Supremes boxed set there is a version # 3 and #4 of Buttered Popcorn. Any idea what version was actually released on the original LP ?

there are 4 versions I'm aware of [[not counting the mono and stereo versions on the original lps). There was the first pressing of the single [[recently released on the pink 2000 box set i believe), then there was the 2nd pressing which is also the 2 versions on the lps. then in the Meet the Sups re-release this past year, versions 3 and 4 were released.

Sup_fan ... What version was on the original domestic CD release of MEET THE SUPREMES? Thanks!

1. THE SUPREMES [[Box Set - pink)
    2. On the original LPS
    3. MEET THE SUPREMES expanded
    4. MEET THE SUPREMES expanded

it would be #2. that was the commonly released version. it appeared on the 2 vinyl lps and in most subsequent compilations and re-releases. the original pressing of the single obvious was 1st released on 45 but due to short release window and tiny circulation, probably only a handful really exist. so it's first large distribution was the pink box set. we then got versions 3 and 4 on the Meet Sups expanded edition

supposedly those are all of the versions out there. Of course that doesn't mean there aren't multiple takes and who know if those exist somewhere in the vaults

Thanks Sup_Fan
    I had to make sure I did indeed have version # 1 and # 2.
    Now I know there has to be a version out there somewhere with Diana or Mary on lead as well.

topdiva1 Guest
    Frankly, Buttered Popcorn was cute - but not hit material. Buttered Popcorn was just an album filler song at best. Cute - but I do no believe it would have been a million seller. And if Flo Ballard had not done lead on it - no one would likely still be talking about it.

i'm not aware of any of the other girls taking a stab at lead on Buttered Popcorn. i believe some other motown artists at the time covered it. but no one of real significance

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i'm not aware of any of the other girls taking a stab at lead on Buttered Popcorn. i believe some other motown artists at the time covered it. but no one of real significance
    It was just a novelty silly song. The only significance it has - is Flo Ballard sang lead. And if she had not - no one would have mentioned it beyond a B side filler song.

Didn't Marvin play drums on "Buttered Popcorn"? I believe he did, remember he was a drummer on the early Motown records.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    The Marvelettes perhaps but I couldn't imagine the Miracles, Contours, Mary Wells, Marvin or the Temptations covering it lol

I believe a group called THE VOWS recorded it as well.

Incredible knowledge again Reese.

TopDiva has this thread nailed about Buttered Popcorn. Whenever I come upon it on a CD, I skip to the next cut. It's significance is only that Florence sang lead on it.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Incredible knowledge again Reese.

TopDiva has this thread nailed about Buttered Popcorn. Whenever I come upon it on a CD, I skip to the next cut. It's significance is only that Florence sang lead on it.

Yes it is not a good song in any fashion - I agree - it's only significance is Flo on lead - perhaps if Flo had not got put out - or Diana or Mary had sung lead on buttered popcorn - it would have been forgotten long ago.