[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    [QUOTE=Jimi LaLumia;172279]..and he admits it, in MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL, when he hears "Up The Ladder..." in the background while Ross is rehearsing her solo show, and "Reach Out And Touch" had stopped at #20 in the Billboard Pop Singles Chart...at least now he admits it!..it signals what was really in his head..he also tried to pull the plug on "Stoned Love"..[/QUOTE)
    Well thank god he didn't because all hell would have broken loose "Stoned Love" was considered the Supremes' shinning star, its bad enough it didn't get the title on the Album which probably would have made it a number one record, Mary was upset about that and so on and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    ..and he admits it, in MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL, when he hears "Up The Ladder..." in the background while Ross is rehearsing her solo show, and "Reach Out And Touch" had stopped at #20 in the Billboard Pop Singles Chart...at least now he admits it!..it signals what was really in his head..he also tried to pull the plug on "Stoned Love"..
    @Jimi,

You may have posted elsewhere but what was your impression of the musical? I'm anxious to hear your opinion.

haven't made it into town yet to see it.. hopefully in the next week or so.. but I've read numerous accounts of the Gordy character reacting to "Up The Ladder To The Roof" in the show..which tied for #1 last week with "KInky Boots" , even though "Kinky Boots" won all the Tony Awards, and MOTOWN was shut out..it was still tied for #1 show on Broadway after the Awards show..

@Jimi,

Please let us know what you think of the show after you see it. Always like to hear your open and unvarnished opinions!

Kenneth

I saw the show and I don't think it's Gordy himself reacting to "Up The Ladder..."; the way I remember it they're trying to get Diana's first solo show filled up and "Up The Ladder..." is heard playing and someone says something like, "Get that off - we don't need to remind them that The Supremes have a big hit without Diana"...something like that. Of course, I could be wrong but, either way, I took it as acknowledgment of two things; that The Supremes continued quite well without Diana and that everyone knew Berry wouldn't like it if they eclipsed her. I was just happy to hear the song itself [[the original recording, I believe). As for "Stoned Love", I always understood Berry thought it was a "drug song" and that's why he didn't like it - he felt the same way about "Cloud Nine" by The Temptations [[another classic Motown track)...

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    As for "Stoned Love", I always understood Berry thought it was a "drug song" and that's why he didn't like it - he felt the same way about "Cloud Nine" by The Temptations [[another classic Motown track)...
    I never thought "Stoned Love" was referring to drugs, but definitely I think "Cloud 9" absolutely does. Has it ever been disputed? I can't imagine how. Such a powerful song and the imagery is so vivid. A great Whitfield-Strong composition.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I never thought "Stoned Love" was referring to drugs, but definitely I think "Cloud 9" absolutely does. Has it ever been disputed? I can't imagine how. Such a powerful song and the imagery is so vivid. A great Whitfield-Strong composition.
    I know the song was labeled Stoned Love but Jean clearly sings Stone Love during the song. I never thought it was about drugs, just a strong and heavy love. Cloud 9 has to be about drugs, hands down. I mean, what else could it be.

i think the first three Jean led supremes albums r great. Touch being my fav with the exception of TIME AND LOVE. but my question is do you all feel that RIGHT ON would be one of the Supremes all time best albums....top 10 lets say???

Jean has said she was never signed as a solo, only as a Supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    i think the first three Jean led supremes albums r great. Touch being my fav with the exception of TIME AND LOVE. but my question is do you all feel that RIGHT ON would be one of the Supremes all time best albums....top 10 lets say???
    I love "Touch" the best of the Jean-led albums also, but my favorite post-Diane LP is "High Energy." I know it didn't sell well but it is so beautifully orchestrated and sung throughout. Of the Ross LPs, I think "Love Child" is by far the best of the later albums, and probably "Where Did Our Love Go" or "More Hits" the best of the early ones.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Yes, it's one of their finest albums.

i would agree that LOVE CHILD is really good album along with WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO. I would also say NEW WAYS LOVE STAYS but I am not crazy about Come Together , no matter who sings it.

Dang Davidh, I too love the "Touch" album, my favorite of that era. I don't like "Time and Love" either as well as "Come Together".

Kenneth, "High Energy" is my favorite Scherrie-led Supremes album, too. I like the original mix as well as the released album. I love the "Only You" version of original mix album much better than the released version. Scherrie throws down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I never related anything in "Stoned Love" to drugs. That mistake in the title is what brought all that on. It was a pure soulful hymn in my opinion. Cloud Nine, on the other had was about escapism via drugs. Funny as a kid when that song was released, we thought they were singing about actually being on a cloud, in heaven. LOL!

"I'm doing fine, up here on Cloud 9......"

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Jean has said she was never signed as a solo, only as a Supreme.
    That was the reason Berry Gordy invited her to sign with Motown as a member of the Supremes, never as a solo artist.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That was the reason Berry Gordy invited her to sign with Motown as a member of the Supremes, never as a solo artist.
    Right On, High Energy, The Supremes.....in that order.

Where Did Our Love, Supremes Sing Holland Dozier, Supremes A Go Go
    Love Child. in that order

Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    Dang Davidh, I too love the "Touch" album, my favorite of that era. I don't like "Time and Love" either as well as "Come Together".

Kenneth, "High Energy" is my favorite Scherrie-led Supremes album, too. I like the original mix as well as the released album. I love the "Only You" version of original mix album much better than the released version. Scherrie throws down!!!
    Hey, what can I say? Great minds think alike!!!