[REMOVE ADS]

Me, The Motown Musical, and Diana Ross

There are certain little things in life that bring you so much joy. For me, after months of planning, deciding what day and show I would attend [[06/01/13), watching youtube clips, and interviews from Motown the musical, here I was sitting in my seat looking at the huge Motown [[M) logo that took up the whole stage. This was one of those moments. I was seated in the second row of the front mezzanine- practically looking right down on the stage. The show starts. Here was the guy playing Berry Gordy- the guy I have watched so many times in the preview clips on the internet and interviews. When "Martha" and the cast started to sing "Dancing in the Streets"- something else I had seen so many times, I was so happy because I knew at that moment that I was actually here. At moments like this I get so into what I am seeing that everything becomes a blur. So it is hard for me to remember specifics. The stand out numbers for me were "Dancing in the Streets" and when the cast sang "WAR" which then lead to Berry and Marvin talking and then Marvin sings an acapella version of "Mercy Mercy me". Other highlights were when the Diana character sang "Reach out and touch". She did it just like a real concert with audience participation and all. The audience was really into it. The guy who plays Smokey, he started to sing one song, and he sounded just like Smokey Robinson. Jackie Wilson, the Temptations, all of the singers were really good. You could hear people sitting around you clapping and singing along to their favorite songs. As has been said before, the biggest crowd reactions came when little Michael Jackson/J5 sang. He was exceptional. The audience would go crazy. There was one scene where Berry was telling Diana that he had a movie role for her and he mentioned the title "Lady sings the blues" and the audience hoot and hollered, and broke out in applause at just the mention of the movie. The lady who sang "Heard it through the grapevine" as Gladys Knight was also very good. The guy that played Stevie Wonder also sounded great. The lady that played Mary Wells was also good, but from what I think I know about Mary, she didn't really act like Mary. This lady was wild, and almost raunchy. I never saw Mary Wells live so I can't say for certain if the portrayal was accurate. The play could have done without Rick James, and Teena Marie, but they were needed to explain the success Motown had in later years when many of it's original artist had left the company. The ending was also good. It was the Motown25 finale. Diana's character came through the audience singing "Aint no mountain". I had to laugh to myself seeing Mary Wilson's character up there in her red fringe dress and remembering all the things that have been said about the night on the original M25 taping. You know how at the end of a play all the characters come out and take a bow? Well they did that, but they also, while still singing "Aint no mountain" were doing a dance like the electric slide, or bus stop. The audience was up on its feet groovin, clapping, and cheering wildly. The Berry and Diana characters are in the middle of the stage and then the big M curtain drops. As the curtain was dropping, the Diana character kind of bent down as to smile and wave to the audience one last time before the curtain completely dropped. The story of the play was kind of weak. It basically covered some important milestones, and happenings of the "Motown" legend. It was the performers, the songs, and the singing that holds it all together and saves it. If you are a fan of Motown music, it is a must see. The music and the performers were great.

The theater was completely sold out. So it took a good 15-20 minutes to get down the stairs to exit the theater. When we finally made it down stairs, I said to my friend, lets take a look at the main floor of the theater. I like the architecture of old theaters. From where we were, when you first enter you are standing in the back of the theater in the left aisle. The floor was basically empty except for a few people. As we stood there for a couple of seconds, I'm looking straight down the aisle towards the front of the theater and there are a couple of people walking up the aisle towards me. It only took a second for it all to register, but I said to myself "THAT'S DIANA ROSS". I excitedly turned to my friend who was looking around and said look, there is the REAL Diana Ross. I just stood there as she was walking up the long theater aisle, walking straight towards me. I watched in amazement, knowing in a few seconds I would be face to face with her. It was all so surreal. This moment for me was like WOW. It was like time stood still, but at the same time happened so fast. She was smiling the whole time. She looked good. She looked youthful, happy, and relaxed. For those who like to comment on her looks, or insinuate that she has lightened her skin, she looked just like the time I saw her close up in concert once. A beautiful brown skinned woman. She had little to no makeup on. She had on what looked like the casual clothes she wears while out and about in California. It was a loose fitting black top and pants. So as she approaches me, again this was all happening so fast, my phone was in my back pocket and turned off because I was in the theater. I didn't want to struggle trying to unbutton my pocket, get my phone out, turn it on, and get the camera ready to take a picture. More importantly, I didn't want her to shield her face or turn away, and I didn't want to do anything that would upset her and make her get all diva on me and totally ruin the moment for me. So as she is merely feet away from me she starts to put on her glasses. She stops right in front of me for a few seconds, as the person who appears to be with her is guiding her out and towards the exit. I say Hello Miss Ross as she continues to smile, my friend actually says Hi DIANA and he reaches out and puts is hand/arm around her shoulder. I'm thinking, OMG, don't touch her lol. We all exit through the door together. Once through the door you are standing in the small lobby of the theater, then there are the outside doors of the theater. Her limo was parked directly in front of the theater. There were many people standing out there and I am standing there right besides Diana because we basically walked out together. It took only a quick second for people to realize that this was Diana Ross and then everyone started calling her name out, and people, saying things like oh my God. Diana...Diana...Diana. For some reason the limo guy didn't open the door on the side walk for her to enter. At this point I see Rhonda standing in the limo door on the passenger side as she calls/guides Diana to that side of the vehicle. I call out to Rhonda she looks at me waves and smiles. I must say that Rhonda is beautiful in person. So now I'm standing right in front of the limo and I can see inside. I see Diana and Rhonda smiling, and talking all the while waiving at fans. I was looking around the limo, and then inside through the front windshield to see if Tracee or Ross, or Evan were there. I didn't see them. The limo tried to start moving but by this time people were surrounding the limo. I took a step to the side and got back on the sidewalk. Now I am standing by the side door and window. The window was tinted, but you could still see them inside. I'm standing there acting like a fan, smiling, waiving and calling out her name- at this point I had no shame. I see Diana, hair and all, turn towards me and kind of move closer to the window, and wave back. People around me were like "Diana, roll down the window". She never did, and the car eventually drove off. I turned to my friend and we were like "did this all really just happen?". We gave each other the high five. This was a true NYC experience.

Words really can't describe the joy I felt seeing the Musical, and then coming face to face with Diana. I mean, I planned this weekend for months. It took me a while to decide on which show I would actually attend. What are the odds that the show I got tickets for [[06/01/13) that Diana Ross would actually be there? She had already seen it, so for her to decide to see it again, and of all shows, attend the one I was at, was something I would never have expected in a million years. While at the show looking at the performers on stage during the finale/curtain call I couldn't help but to think back to the historic Supreme's reunion that had taken place there on opening night. I was sitting in my seat thinking that Diana, Mary, Berry and others were up there not too long ago. Never imagining that Diana Ross was also there the night I decided to attend. I now realize that when the curtain slowly dropped, and Valisia Lekae waived and smiled one last time at the end, she was waiving to the woman who she had just portrayed- Diana Ross.

It was truly a night to remember!!!

So, did you have a good time?

[[Just kidding--I know you did. And how!)

Loved your post Skooldem. A wonderful read from beginning to end.

But tell me--Did you have a good time?

[[Still kidding. I'm just joyful from your post.)

revvy Guest
    Great review! I'm so glad you had a great time at the show and seeing Diana up close. I actually walked past Diana at LAX in the wee hours of the morning [[5:30/6 am). She is exactly what you expect: Diana Ross! And everybody in the terminal knew it was her as well. It was way too early for any name calling [[Diana! Diana!) or mayhem or flashing bulbs, but she certainly carries a presence. She handles her celebrity very well.

I enjoyed the show so much the third night of previews and plan to see it again in November.

Thanks for sharing your glowing review with us!

It was a night I will never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    There are certain little things in life that bring you so much joy. For me, after months of planning, deciding what day and show I would attend [[06/01/13), watching youtube clips, and interviews from Motown the musical, here I was sitting in my seat looking at the huge Motown [[M) logo that took up the whole stage. This was one of those moments. I was seated in the second row of the front mezzanine- practically looking right down on the stage. The show starts. Here was the guy playing Berry Gordy- the guy I have watched so many times in the preview clips on the internet and interviews. When "Martha" and the cast started to sing "Dancing in the Streets"- something else I had seen so many times, I was so happy because I knew at that moment that I was actually here. At moments like this I get so into what I am seeing that everything becomes a blur. So it is hard for me to remember specifics. The stand out numbers for me were "Dancing in the Streets" and when the cast sang "WAR" which then lead to Berry and Marvin talking and then Marvin sings an acapella version of "Mercy Mercy me". Other highlights were when the Diana character sang "Reach out and touch". She did it just like a real concert with audience participation and all. The audience was really into it. The guy who plays Smokey, he started to sing one song, and he sounded just like Smokey Robinson. Jackie Wilson, the Temptations, all of the singers were really good. You could hear people sitting around you clapping and singing along to their favorite songs. As has been said before, the biggest crowd reactions came when little Michael Jackson/J5 sang. He was exceptional. The audience would go crazy. There was one scene where Berry was telling Diana that he had a movie role for her and he mentioned the title "Lady sings the blues" and the audience hoot and hollered, and broke out in applause at just the mention of the movie. The lady who sang "Heard it through the grapevine" as Gladys Knight was also very good. The guy that played Stevie Wonder also sounded great. The lady that played Mary Wells was also good, but from what I think I know about Mary, she didn't really act like Mary. This lady was wild, and almost raunchy. I never saw Mary Wells live so I can't say for certain if the portrayal was accurate. The play could have done without Rick James, and Teena Marie, but they were needed to explain the success Motown had in later years when many of it's original artist had left the company. The ending was also good. It was the Motown25 finale. Diana's character came through the audience singing "Aint no mountain". I had to laugh to myself seeing Mary Wilson's character up there in her red fringe dress and remembering all the things that have been said about the night on the original M25 taping. You know how at the end of a play all the characters come out and take a bow? Well they did that, but they also, while still singing "Aint no mountain" were doing a dance like the electric slide, or bus stop. The audience was up on its feet groovin, clapping, and cheering wildly. The Berry and Diana characters are in the middle of the stage and then the big M curtain drops. As the curtain was dropping, the Diana character kind of bent down as to smile and wave to the audience one last time before the curtain completely dropped. The story of the play was kind of weak. It basically covered some important milestones, and happenings of the "Motown" legend. It was the performers, the songs, and the singing that holds it all together and saves it. If you are a fan of Motown music, it is a must see. The music and the performers were great.

The theater was completely sold out. So it took a good 15-20 minutes to get down the stairs to exit the theater. When we finally made it down stairs, I said to my friend, lets take a look at the main floor of the theater. I like the architecture of old theaters. From where we were, when you first enter you are standing in the back of the theater in the left aisle. The floor was basically empty except for a few people. As we stood there for a couple of seconds, I'm looking straight down the aisle towards the front of the theater and there are a couple of people walking up the aisle towards me. It only took a second for it all to register, but I said to myself "THAT'S DIANA ROSS". I excitedly turned to my friend who was looking around and said look, there is the REAL Diana Ross. I just stood there as she was walking up the long theater aisle, walking straight towards me. I watched in amazement, knowing in a few seconds I would be face to face with her. It was all so surreal. This moment for me was like WOW. It was like time stood still, but at the same time happened so fast. She was smiling the whole time. She looked good. She looked youthful, happy, and relaxed. For those who like to comment on her looks, or insinuate that she has lightened her skin, she looked just like the time I saw her close up in concert once. A beautiful brown skinned woman. She had little to no makeup on. She had on what looked like the casual clothes she wears while out and about in California. It was a loose fitting black top and pants. So as she approaches me, again this was all happening so fast, my phone was in my back pocket and turned off because I was in the theater. I didn't want to struggle trying to unbutton my pocket, get my phone out, turn it on, and get the camera ready to take a picture. More importantly, I didn't want her to shield her face or turn away, and I didn't want to do anything that would upset her and make her get all diva on me and totally ruin the moment for me. So as she is merely feet away from me she starts to put on her glasses. She stops right in front of me for a few seconds, as the person who appears to be with her is guiding her out and towards the exit. I say Hello Miss Ross as she continues to smile, my friend actually says Hi DIANA and he reaches out and puts is hand/arm around her shoulder. I'm thinking, OMG, don't touch her lol. We all exit through the door together. Once through the door you are standing in the small lobby of the theater, then there are the outside doors of the theater. Her limo was parked directly in front of the theater. There were many people standing out there and I am standing there right besides Diana because we basically walked out together. It took only a quick second for people to realize that this was Diana Ross and then everyone started calling her name out, and people, saying things like oh my God. Diana...Diana...Diana. For some reason the limo guy didn't open the door on the side walk for her to enter. At this point I see Rhonda standing in the limo door on the passenger side as she calls/guides Diana to that side of the vehicle. I call out to Rhonda she looks at me waves and smiles. I must say that Rhonda is beautiful in person. So now I'm standing right in front of the limo and I can see inside. I see Diana and Rhonda smiling, and talking all the while waiving at fans. I was looking around the limo, and then inside through the front windshield to see if Tracee or Ross, or Evan were there. I didn't see them. The limo tried to start moving but by this time people were surrounding the limo. I took a step to the side and got back on the sidewalk. Now I am standing by the side door and window. The window was tinted, but you could still see them inside. I'm standing there acting like a fan, smiling, waiving and calling out her name- at this point I had no shame. I see Diana, hair and all, turn towards me and kind of move closer to the window, and wave back. People around me were like "Diana, roll down the window". She never did, and the car eventually drove off. I turned to my friend and we were like "did this all really just happen?". We gave each other the high five. This was a true NYC experience.

Words really can't describe the joy I felt seeing the Musical, and then coming face to face with Diana. I mean, I planned this weekend for months. It took me a while to decide on which show I would actually attend. What are the odds that the show I got tickets for [[06/01/13) that Diana Ross would actually be there? She had already seen it, so for her to decide to see it again, and of all shows, attend the one I was at, was something I would never have expected in a million years. While at the show looking at the performers on stage during the finale/curtain call I couldn't help but to think back to the historic Supreme's reunion that had taken place there on opening night. I was sitting in my seat thinking that Diana, Mary, Berry and others were up there not too long ago. Never imagining that Diana Ross was also there the night I decided to attend. I now realize that when the curtain slowly dropped, and Valisia Lekae waived and smiled one last time at the end, she was waiving to the woman who she had just portrayed- Diana Ross.

It was truly a night to remember!!!

Sounds like a great night skooldem1 and having Diane Ross in the audience was a real thrill and treat. I met miss Diane Ross outside a shoe shop on Camden Drive in Beverly Hills about 4 years ago and was amazed at how she carry herself. She looked real pretty and smiled and said hello when i say hello to her. There was lots of tourists taking pictures which I thought was real tacky but she kept on walking to her car smiling but not stopping. Diane Ross is a superstar and just like the first Lady of Motown Dr Martha Reeves shes lovely in person.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Great review and story about how you saw Diana, skooldem.

What a wonderful experience skool! I could feel the excitement! Thank you so much for sharing.

smark21 Guest
    Roberta, if you ever get to see Motown the Musical, I hope Martha Reeves will be in the audience that same night.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Roberta, if you ever get to see Motown the Musical, I hope Martha Reeves will be in the audience that same night.
    My aunt live in the Highland park area of Detroit smark21 so my dream is that the First Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves will be in the museum next time I visit. I missed her by a day when i was in Detroit in 2009 which made me real sad. I have met the the First Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves many time before and shes real sweet to me and sent me a beautiful photo of herserlf that she signed to Dear Roberta. God Loves. Martha Reeves. I have that photo in the middle of my Motown wall in my home along with many other portaits of this sweet and gracious and lovely and kind and beautiful lady.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

That was a wonderful post Skooldem. Your excitement of the event shined throughout your post. What a night. Great show. Great seats. And then, seeing the lady herself in the house. You could not have planned your night any better.

Enjoy your moment. It is a night that you will treasure for a long time.
    Last edited by milven; 06-04-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks for update skooldem1 ,,,,,,Diana, Mary and Cindy have never been short of anything but excellent when meeting.

Good for you, Skooldem1!!!! What an experience.

Since you have seen the performance, I have wondered what songs do "The Supremes" actuallly sing in the show? We know they are on stage for the AIn't No Mountain High Enough finale [[not their song). Also, we have seen clips of DMF in pink dresses singing Where Did Our Love Go and Stop! In the Name of Love. So are "Where..." and "Stop!..." the only two actual Supremes' numbers in the show?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Longtimefan. Email me at skooldem@yahoo.com
    I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.

Great to hear a happy story, events that made someone happy. Awesome.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!Fantastic review Skooldem, seems as if you had an amazing night and to actually see Diana there has to be the ULTIMATE icing on the cake, I would have probably fainted or something if I come face to face with Ms Diana Ross, LOL!!!!!!

I lived in NYC for about ten years, early seventies to early eighties, back then without the seemingly 24/7 access that one has to the "stars", via all manner of electronic media, it was a thrill inwardly for a "cool cat", or a former "cool cat", such as myself to run into someone famous. Back then they did not have entourages surrounding these folks that you have now, and they could go about doing normal human things. So I definitely feel you skooldem1, and I am very happy for you.

Seein the show tomorrow!

Skol, that is so awesome! I have not seen the show
    yet but I have been face to face with Diana Ross a few times. It is a stunning experience. There was so much for my senses to take in all at once "wow, she's soo tiny!!". "her hair is almost at big as she is!" "there's that smile I saw all those years ago on Ed Sullivan'" "those eyes!!". "her skin is soo beautiful!!". Whew... That was a lot to absorb..... Lol... Luckily I never did faint. Another thing I remember, I bet you do too, skol is that there is this "aura" around her... A sense of power..... I get the feeling she is completely aware of how stunned most people are when we meet her. And she should be.

alexgarret Guest
    I'm seeing it Tuesday - looks like there are quite a few of us that will have gone or are going.

revvy Guest
    You're going to love it! It makes a Motowner proud.

Quote Originally Posted by alexgarret View Post
    I'm seeing it Tuesday - looks like there are quite a few of us that will have gone or are going.
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Seein the show tomorrow!
    Hope you guys will share your thoughts about the show with us after you see it.

And don't forget, some of the cast will be performing on THE TONYS Sunday night on CBS