[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    pshark Guest
    Why is that wrong to say but its alright to say sex, intercourse, or sexual intercourse?
    But the lyrics is tamed compared to whats goin on in the Motown section

Well, Ralph, I look at it as a novelty song. It's not a usual thing. The cleaned-up version is very popular worldwide, so it's not the song that's bad. Cee Lo Green has talent, so it's not that either. It's just that some people can't see past a couple of words. And you know people speak like this all the time, and that doesn't make them any less intelligent or immature. And, it's not like Cee Lo Green uses this language in all of his music. I'm sure you've heard of Gnarles Barkley. That's him!

That "f" word conveys a very powerful emotion. It's one of those words one uses when there is nothing left. I'll bet you've even used the word once or twice.

Well, I rest my argument. It's cool if I failed to sway your opinion. And I did it all without any nasty insults, unlike what's taking place on over half the current threads right now. Many of us are hoping you'll take care of it once you've rested and have some time to deal with it.

Yes, Soulster, we can agree to disagree in a civil manner and I appreciate the debate with you. As far as the other nonsense going on around here, I will deal with it soon. I'm fighting some sort of flu bug right now but I'll be up and running soon.

ralph..was it cold in motown then?

No, Tamla. The weather was picture perfect autumn. I don't know where I picked up this flu bug, but it got me pretty good.

for what its worth i'm just getting over a cold but its draggin on.hope you had a good time anyway

I had a great time until this thing hit me on Thursday night. Hope you get over your cold soon.

Ralph, I didn't know you had been sick and I hope you're getting better as I write this.
    Anyway, although I completely understand your viewpoint as far as the song is
    concerned I think I coul have been clearer about how I myself can listen to it and not be
    offended...
    The phrase "F you" to me regardless of the profanity used is just another put down
    people use against those that have angered them, same as " Go to Hell", "Kiss my butt", etc. Within the context of the song it makes perfect sense to me and the sheer boldness of its use in lyric and title was a surefire selling point. Like or dislike the track
    couldn't be ignored.
    Now, and to me this is most important thing, within the context of popular music today and the dominance of hip hop music and culture on the market and media I have more
    of a problem with a lot of the lyrics and imagery put forth , accepted and even championed, coming from "artists" like Lil Wayne, 50 Cent and Jay Z. I'd rather hear
    my neice hear someone get so mad they just fling off a F**K You than see her
    rapping along with Jay Z talking about how his "B**ches and H*es and N***s love to
    him talk like he does. And these guys are positioned as role models?
    Besides, I know this is not the total of what Cee lo can do and has done. If I
    took a similar stance with some of the old school acts I'd never have listened to Funkadelic again after "No Head No Backstage Pass". I hope you get my point...

Hey, Splank,
    You can make all the argument you want with me and I would be hard pressed to dispute anything you had to say. However, in my [[unprudish)mind it doesn't fly. You may or may not be familiar with "Kick Out The Jams Mother F*****s". The vocals were done at Tera Shirma. And even back then in my ultra liberal young 20's mind, I didn't think that was right. Sure, cases can be made for Funkedelic and a host of other groups that crossed the line a bit but this particular song blows it all out big time. It is just so blatently in your face that good taste is left twisiting in the wind. Do we really need to be that obvious for the sake of "art"? Remember a few years back the artist that had a crucifix inside a large bottle of urine? That was defended as art, also and maybe to some it is. But I think that, along with what we are discussing here, simply lowers the bar on our standards of decency as a people.

Would thjis have made a difference if it had been sung by an older, more established artist?

some artists go out of their way to offend.and all of it in the name of art.got to push those boundries.
    gustav klimt,damien hirst,tracy emin,john lennon,punk rock,geldoff[[i can do and say what i want 'cos i'm raising money for africa)its a big list.
    if you said i'm not into soul,thats ok .if you said i dont like the swearing,you end up being called a dinosaur or worse.they,the singer,record company etc.,knew the f.you track wouldnt get the airplay [[on normal stations)

hence "forget you",so why bother with the obscenity.i 'spose it goes down a bomb with school kids,and down the clubs with everyone thinking its great to sing along to.well this isnt progress.
    will the album have 2 releases a "clean" and offensive release?its going to be ace at christmas,imagine the family sitting round the room and little wayne unwraps his cd granny bought him and she "wants" to hear it!
    it wont matter of course 'cos its art and in context