[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cee lo Green says "F*** You"

How does this forum feel about Cee Lo Green's excellent "Fuck You"? The censored "Forget You" version is all over radio, and is a big hit.

I know the people on this forum don't much deal with contemporary R&B, but this song has to be heard, particularly in it's original form "Fuck You".

I don't know much about Cee Lo Green, so can anyone point me to more stuff like this song?

Haven't heard it, more disgusting, tripe, garbage, rat crap, slime hole, garbage from today's music industry. Great message he's sending.

Spoken by someone who obviously hasn't heard it [[roll eyes)...

The lyrics:

Hey, I listened to it ... and it still is awful and blows.

On a day when another great soul legend passes we'er praising this no-talent bum?

You don't even see the humor in it? It something I think most guys can relate to, having their woman run off with some other dude because you never have any money.

It has a deep R&B groove with real instruments, with no hop-hop or rapping.
    Last edited by soulster; 10-14-2010 at 06:04 PM.

I've heard a million good songs about their woman leaving another guy for money, Philly Soul is full of them, and they're all better written and performed than this garbage.

Just awful stuff, wow, that was bad. I gotta go take a shower.

They have a cleaned up version called "Forget You".

Here's what don't get: for years, you all have been complaining that music isn't like it used to be and that today's music is garbage. Then, you guys say that the kids today don't know or appreciate good music, and all they like is rapping. Well, finally an old school song comes along that fits the bill, and the kids love it, and it's all over radio, and you still don't like it.

Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by tsull1 View Post

On a day when another great soul legend passes we'er praising this no-talent bum?
    He's got talent. His lyrics for this particular song may be a little rough, but he has a great voice and delivery in my opinion.

A guy who repeatedly has to say F you has no brain or ability to write more clever lyrics.

I have found good modern day groups and have posted them here, and no one responds. My "Kings Go Forth" post went nowhere. Now that's some serious talent.

If you resort to the F-bomb over and over, IMO, you have no talent and the inability to write more clever, moving lyrics. Then again, I was raised on good music. Today's kids actually think this stuff is good. Why? Because that's all they know. They think Motown is bad.

Today's society has flipped the paradigm where good is bad and bad is good. It's mind boggling. Next someone will have a hit called "Stick It Up Your A$$" and because it might have a decent horn lick, the dude will be proclaimed talented.

Now that's what I find amazing.

Tsull, then you'll probably hate this. Here are one of my young buddies in Detroit, Dogshit71,Feat REED RYCHARDZ and his new joint " DYRTEEFINGANAILZ"

I beg to differ with tsull! that's was a great song. i've been there many times myself. I Guess because i'm from the curent generation, I can tolerate the profanity. But there's alot worse out right now. I'm just glad there are some people willing to incorporate real music with elements of today.

tsull,

You obviously don't understand anger and pain, and the power of words. Sometimes, there are situations where the best word to use is potentially offensive. You also totally miss the humor in the song. I'm not judging you, but you seem to not have much of a sense of humor, and you come off as close-minded because you judged the song even before you heard it. If you've ever been hurt by a woman, you know what kind of word you think of? If you've ever been screwed over by anyone and lost, you no doubt were thinking "f*** you!". Ce Lo Green just happened to write a song that pretty much says what people think anyway.

Lighten up! It's supposed to be funny. And, BTW, I learned about the song from middle-aged white guys. So, quit blaming the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I beg to differ with tsull! that's was a great song. i've been there many times myself. I Guess because i'm from the curent generation, I can tolerate the profanity. But there's alot worse out right now. I'm just glad there are some people willing to incorporate real music with elements of today.
    Don't be fooled! There's plenty of people tsull's age who don't mind profanity, and use it too. Where do you think today's youth learned it all?

I do understand anger pain and have had my share in life. Don't make sweeping judgements on people you don't know.

I guess my pre-judgement on all of you is you've lost your soul and who you are, and what good is, and what bad is. Funny doesn't mean good, even though I didn't find it funny. You've been warped by popular society.

Here, let me bring you back a little, a song about pain, but more masterfully written and performed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Fv5DdOQ6g

Then again, I'll probably here how this artist is not talented ... whatever, you will NOT sell that on me.

Tsull, how ironic. I loved David Ruffin's music and looked up to him and the others at one time. I met him, his family, even attended his funeral services, BUT David would make this guy Cee-Lo Green look like a boy scout and I think you know what I mean!

I guess my pre-judgement on all of you is you've lost your soul and who you are, and what good is, and what bad is. Funny doesn't mean good, even though I didn't find it funny. You've been warped by popular society.
    Now you're the one making sweeping judgments when you don't even know us. I just like the song because it sounds good. It's got a catchy hook and it grooves. It's just a feel-good song that speaks to human emotion.
    Last edited by soulster; 10-14-2010 at 11:11 PM.

Here, let me bring you back a little, a song about pain, but more masterfully written and performed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Fv5DdOQ6g

Then again, I'll probably here how this artist is not talented ... whatever, you will NOT sell that on me.
    Hey brother, I am almost 50 years old, so I know all about David Ruffin. He was certainly a master artist. But, that particular song bores me. The Cee Lo Green song is fun! Makes you wanna dance, groove, clap your hands, laugh, and smile. It's a healthy thing to be able to laugh a little at life's pain. That's what the song does. You don't have to be serious and intense all the time.

See, it isn't about talent. It's about conveying a message, a groove, an emotion most of us have felt at one time. David did too, just in a different way.
    Last edited by soulster; 10-15-2010 at 09:05 AM.

That's your opinion. I think that he's great - old skool with a twist & very talented. 'Crazy' was one of the best songs of the last decade. New song 'Old Fashioned' is a classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKzHCQCHvYY

Oh forgot to say that 'Forget You/F*** You' is #1 in the UK this week. It's the best #1 we have had this year - IMHO of course.
    Last edited by copley; 10-15-2010 at 04:27 AM.

Thanks Copley, I'd not heard "Old Fashioned" before and it's a real beauty. Fabulous old style soul ballad and superbly sung too. Brings back memories of how it used to be.

Glad you like it Sunset. It's real soul music with real musicans. Can't wait for his album 'The Ladykiller' to be released on 1 Nov.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Tsull, how ironic. I loved David Ruffin's music and looked up to him and the others at one time. I met him, his family, even attended his funeral services, BUT David would make this guy Cee-Lo Green look like a boy scout and I think you know what I mean!
    I'm well aware of Ruffin's life. I'm just enamoured with singers screaming the f-word. You get that in death metal and rap. I just believe there's too much trash in our culture and I don't like this. If you can't communicate better than that, well, I find it simplistic and rude. I'm sure the rap songs advocating rape and murder will be praised here any day now. Why? Well, heck, they hit No. 1 in the UK or something, so it must be good, right?

McDonald's also sells more food than anyone, so it must be better than a 5-star steakhouse, right?

tsull,

I believe your sole objection to the song is the use of the "f" and 'shit" words. If you could just get past that, it really is a good song, and lots of people around the worl disagree with you.

I'm well aware of Ruffin's life. I'm just enamoured with singers screaming the f-word. You get that in death metal and rap. I just believe there's too much trash in our culture and I don't like this. If you can't communicate better than that, well, I find it simplistic and rude. I'm sure the rap songs advocating rape and murder will be praised here any day now. Why? Well, heck, they hit No. 1 in the UK or something, so it must be good, right?

McDonald's also sells more food than anyone, so it must be better than a 5-star steakhouse, right?
    I can understand your point and can appreciate your position. Give us some credit though. It is not like the song is completely garbage just because of a few curse words. I myself don't know anything about what goes on musically in the UK. I am trying to keep up with things here in NYC. There are or were songs in the past I just couldn't listen because I did not like the lyrics, so I do understand. I also appreciate ART and this video is very creative and most entertaining in my opinion.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-16-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Nothing wrong with that song. Get a life.
    Here's his performance in the show of Jools Holland [[UNcensored!). The program probably also recorded this original version to be able to broadcast it in more enlightened decades. Jools broadcasted the Forget You version live on air, alas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTy8U...otation_269534

And yes, marv, I hate DYRTEEFINGANAILZ. I hate muddy rap whatsoever. I'd rather hear the poet simply recite his lyrics, without the mud underneath they call rap music nowadays.

Nuff said.
    Last edited by robbert; 10-15-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Oh, my...What a conversation I've heard a lot about this song, but this is the first time I've heard it. I like it! But, then again, I've liked Ceelo Green for a few years now, even before Gnarls Barkley. Like his singing style, dude's been singing like that for a long time... In this case, the profanity doesn't bother me, since I know he doesn't throw around curse words for the hell of it. The subject matter? Oh, yeah, I can relate to it The F word fits... Just my opinion, folks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cee_Lo_Green

According to Wikiperdia, the song is doing much better everywhere else in the world except on the U.S. R&B chart.

Not surprised by that news, soulster... I just looked over that Wikipedia piece. I had no idea that the song wasn't officially released yet.

I like the song.
    The dirty version.
    Sue me.
    Damn me to hell.
    Call me what you want and I'll be like...
    F**k You..........

Quote Originally Posted by catwoman55 View Post
    I had no idea that the song wasn't officially released yet.
    Oh yes it is. It's been on iTunes for awhile now. That counts as an official release. It's the whole album that hasn't been issued just yet.

I like the song, been down the road many times, there's not much to say besides, "F***You" I don't know why people mind the F word, I've heard it on record from everyone from the Isley Brothers to James Taylor. The only thing I don't like about the song is the video, it drags it down, IMO.

Thanks for the correction, soulster.

Quote Originally Posted by zebop View Post
    I like the song, been down the road many times, there's not much to say besides, "F***You" I don't know why people mind the F word, I've heard it on record from everyone from the Isley Brothers to James Taylor. The only thing I don't like about the song is the video, it drags it down, IMO.
    So if all language is equal and no words mean more than the next word, I ask you this: What do you think of the 'n' word and why shouldn't that be used on a regular basis? Hey, other rappers and musicians use it [[going to your Isley's and Taylor reference) so that means it should be part of our every day lexicon, right? Not just blacks getting a free pass on the word, but whites should also be able to spew it regularly, right? Hey, it's just words, right?

Allowing society to dictate your behavior is insane.

So if all language is equal and no words mean more than the next word, I ask you this: What do you think of the 'n' word and why shouldn't that be used on a regular basis? Hey, other rappers and musicians use it [[going to your Isley's and Taylor reference) so that means it should be part of our every day lexicon, right? Not just blacks getting a free pass on the word, but whites should also be able to spew it regularly, right? Hey, it's just words, right?

I'm not even going to get into the N word, it's a different issue.

I think the whole first verse is extremely clever, and the line "I guess he's an Xbox and I'm more Atari, but the way you play your game ain't fair" is awesome.

Even that "n" word has a place. I do not use it, nor do I like it when others use it, but if it appears in some types of literary works, or in some music, I don't have a problem with it. I mean, you shouldn't take it out of Tom Sawyer, or movies or rap albums. It serves a purpose there. John Lennon wrote and sang "Woman Is The "N***** Of The World" to make a point.

But, for the freedom of going around calling each other, or others the "n" word" isn't cool, and I don't care what race or ethnicity you are, or what your background is..

Quote Originally Posted by drewschultz88 View Post
    I think the whole first verse is extremely clever, and the line "I guess he's an Xbox and I'm more Atari, but the way you play your game ain't fair" is awesome.
    I like the line "Ooh! I really hate 'cher ass right now!" or, when the background singers go "Ain't that some shit!".

Personally, I think it is a shame that this kind of language should be used for what sounded like a pretty good song. Have our musical standards slipped to the point that simply because live musicians were used on the recording that it is acceptable to listen to such drivel? The words "forget you" could have been used in place place of the offensive words and the idiot might have gotten some of my respect. Instead, I'm listening to another jerk who should try and figure out what "old school" was really about. What a disgrace.

I'm delighted that 'Forget You' is #1 in the UK for a second week. As I always say 'different strokes for different folks'.

Sorry Cope. I guess I didn't read the entire thread to see that "forget you" was subsituted in the song. It does make my case though.

Yeah, I realy like the song, and the video and if you take it as a bit of a laugh it's fine, but I have to aggree that if we are using language like this in 'POP' songs what sort of example is this for the children of today, good old fashioned principles are almost a thing of the past, it is not just in music, it is the same with comedy, tv and films, I just think it gives the wrong impression to the children. I don't consider myself old, I'm 42, but when I was growing up I was taught that bad language was offensive, not funny or used in song lyrics, but unfortunatley kids of today are not instilled with the same sort of morals. It is such a shame, Cee Lo Green has a distinctive voice, and was good in Gnarls Barkley, should have stuck to 'Forget You'.

C Loo Green LOVES all the controversy. It sells records and mp3's.
    The official version on the charts reads Forget You, period. I bet most kiddos just LOVE the way their parents and their parents' peers fuzz about the 'unofficíal' version. Of course THAT'S the version the kiddos will download.
    Who wants to throw the first stone? Haven't we all done 'illegal' things in our teens?

Morals have changed forever, this ain't the flower power period anymore.
    Just take a [[quick) look what youngsters leave behind on the internet, using their own private webcams... no one is gonna turn that back anymore.
    Unless you wish to abolish the internet all together...

Says a 61 y/o

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    The words "forget you" could have been used in place place of the offensive words
    Ralph, that's the version that's riding up the charts, the clean version.

Too bad you don't agree with most of us, but cleaning up the cuss words takes all the bite out of the meaning of the song. And, it's not like this is the first time the "f" word or the "s" word has been used in a hit song. Remember "Money" by Pink Floyd, for example?
    Last edited by soulster; 10-17-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    Yeah, I realy like the song, and the video and if you take it as a bit of a laugh it's fine, but I have to aggree that if we are using language like this in 'POP' songs what sort of example is this for the children of today, good old fashioned principles are almost a thing of the past, it is not just in music, it is the same with comedy, tv and films, I just think it gives the wrong impression to the children. I don't consider myself old, I'm 42, but when I was growing up I was taught that bad language was offensive, not funny or used in song lyrics, but unfortunatley kids of today are not instilled with the same sort of morals. It is such a shame, Cee Lo Green has a distinctive voice, and was good in Gnarls Barkley, should have stuck to 'Forget You'.
    Hey dickiment,

If you think children get bad impressions from contemporary media, go to any home. Yup, that's where kids learn it, from their parents! They hear it when they are infants. And, just how does one measure morals by using an "f" word? Who's morals? Is a crooked politician, cop or doctor any less a crook if he or she never uses colorful language? If a preacher only uses clean language, does that mean he is incapable of molesting children? And, if a fireman says a swear word while he or she's trying to save you from a burning building, does that make him any less moral? In the days when they were hanging Black males in the south, was society more moral than it is today, when they could be prosecuted for such an act?

Something to think about before you throw around the "moral" argument.

Soulster,
    I understand your point. I just think it is a shame that things have sunk to such a low that this is considered acceptable because of the song message. I'm not sure I remember the lyrics to "Money" Please remind me.

To me this is just this generations "Louie, Louie" hehehehehehe

Maybe so, Marv. But who could understand trhe lyrics to that one?

I'm not sure I remember the lyrics to "Money" Please remind me.
    "Money! It's a hit! Don't give me that do goody-good bullshit"!

Maybe so, Marv. But who could understand trhe lyrics to that one?
    Ralph, I know I couldn't . We use to make them up and sometimes we got a little naughty.
    LOL!!!!

Thanks Soulster, but I don't think that compares to what is going on with the song in question.

Yeah, Marv. I'm sure someone could have turned that into a psalm if they chose to do so. Who would dispute it?