[REMOVE ADS]

Upcoming Dionne Warwick Reissues [[2)

Very Dionne was the singer's final original Scepter album. She soon after signed a groundbreaking contract with Warner Bros. Records, where she debuted with 1972's Dionne – her final production by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. Soon the one-time "Triangle Marriage" had an acrimonious split, forcing Warwick to sue her friends and producers for their refusal to work together on the albums they were contractually obliged to produce for her. Warwick remained with Warner Bros. where she was teamed with producers like Holland-Dozier-Holland, Jerry Ragovoy, Steve Barri and Michael Omartian, and most successfully, Thom Bell. Though the Warner Bros. years represented diminishing commercial returns following the smash chart-topper "Then Came You," Warwick would be on top again when Clive Davis signed her to Arista. But that's a tale for another day. Each of Warwick's Warner Bros. albums are getting first-time expanded editions.

Dionne [[1972) features mono single versions of "Close to You" and "If We Only Have Love."

Just Being Myself [[1973) adds single versions of "Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You," "I Think You Need Love," "You're Gonna Need Me" and "Just Being Myself."

Then Came You [[1975), so named for the Thom Bell production added to the Jerry Ragovoy-helmed LP, includes Warwick and Bell's other track with The Spinners, "Just as Long as We Have Love," plus mono promo singles of "Sure Thing" and "Take It From Me."

Track of the Cat [[1975), Warwick's full-length Thom Bell collaboration, hosts a staggering amount of bonus material – 10 tracks, total: both sides of the single "I Didn't Mean To Love You" b/w "He's Not For You" [[Warner Bros. WBS-8280, 1976), the mono single version, stereo single version, "Special Disco Mix," 12-inch single version and single instrumental version [[whew!) of "Once You Hit The Road," and the mono promo single version, 12-inch single version and 12-inch instrumental version of "I Didn't Mean to Love You."

Love at First Sight [[1977) includes three bonuses: "Don't Ever Take Your Love Away" in promotional mono and stereo mixes, plus "Keepin' My Head Above Water."

Although there is no previously unreleased material on any of these discs, this still represents the most sweeping reissue program for Dionne's catalogue since the sadly-aborted, near-definitive Rhino Handmade series. And perhaps one day, the wealth of previously unreleased material will see the light of day. Some particular treasures remain from the Warner Bros. years. Two additional songs, "Too Far to Reach" and "You Hurt Me So," were shelved for Just Being Myself. "Someone Else Gets the Prize" and "We Need to Go Back" were also recorded by Warwick with Nickolas Ashford and Valarie Simpson following the Just Being Myself sessions, and remain unreleased.

And then there's the "Holy Grail" of Warwick's Warner recordings: three songs recorded at a June 1974 reunion session with Burt Bacharach and Phil Ramone. With Bacharach estranged from Hal David, the composer turned to Bobby Russell and Neil Simon for lyrics, and produced three songs with Warwick. Ramone manned the controls at Los Angeles' A&M Studios for the session. "Plastic City," "And Then You Know What He Did," and "And Then He Walked Through the Door" all remain unreleased to this day. It's been reported that at least one of these songs may have been written for a proposed film version of Promises, Promises. Though none of this trio appears on the WEA Japan reissues, we're thrilled to confirm that the Bacharach/Russell song "And Then You Know What He Did" will soon appear for the very first time on a new 25-song compilation entitled Dionne Warwick Sings Burt Bacharach. This disc will be available [[at least initially) as an exclusive in conjunction with the PBS special Burt Bacharach's Best. The special will be broadcast this June. Watch this space for more information as it becomes available!

The titles are currently set for July release in two batches as follows:

July 9 Releases

Presenting Dionne Warwick [[1963) [[Mono/Stereo)
    Anyone Who Had a Heart [[1964) [[Mono/Stereo)
    Make Way for Dionne Warwick [[1964) [[Mono/Stereo plus bonus tracks)
    The Sensitive Sound Of Dionne Warwick [[1965) [[Mono/Stereo)
    Here I Am [[1965) [[Mono/Stereo plus bonus track)
    Dionne Warwick in Paris [[1966) [[Mono/Stereo)
    Here Where There Is Love [[1966) [[Mono/Stereo)
    On Stage and in the Movies [[1967) [[Mono/Stereo)
    The Windows of the World [[1967) [[Mono/Stereo plus bonus tracks)
    The Magic of Believing [[1967) [[Mono/Stereo)
    In The Valley of the Dolls [[1968) [[Mono/Stereo plus bonus tracks)
    Promises. Promises [[1968) [[with bonus tracks)

July 23 Releases

Soulful [[1969) [[with bonus tracks)
    Dionne Warwick's Greatest Motion Picture Hits [[1969) [[First time on CD, plus bonus tracks)
    I'll Never Fall in Love Again [[1970) [[with bonus tracks)
    Very Dionne [[1970) [[duplicates track listing of Rhino Handmade RHM2 7869, 2004)
    The Dionne Warwicke Story: A Decade Of Gold [[1971) [[2 CDs; First time on CD)
    From Within [[1972) [[2 CDs; First time on CD)
    Dionne [[1972) [[with bonus tracks)
    Just Being Myself [[1973) [[with bonus tracks)
    Then Came You [[1975) [[with bonus tracks)
    Track of the Cat [[1975) [[with bonus tracks)
    Love At First Sight [[1977) [[with bonus tracks)

We Need To Go Back - The Unissued Warner Bros. Masters

This title will be released on July 30, 2013.

Editorial Reviews

Although Dionne Warwick released five albums and nearly a dozen singles for Warner Brothers during her five-year [[1972-1977) stint with the label, a search through the tape vaults has uncovered a wealth of stellar unreleased masters whose rumored existence has tantalized collectors for decades. Now with its release of We Need to Go Back The Unissued Warner Bros. Masters, Real Gone Music has unearthed 19 rare treasures made with the involvement of some of the industry's top pop and soul producers.

For instance, the title track is one of a pair of songs Dionne recorded with R&B songwriting duo Ashford & Simpson during a 1973 session. That same year, pop composer Randy Edelman [["Weekend In New England") joined with Warwick [[and engineer Brooks Arthur) to wax a trio of tunes never-before-heard until now. From Dionne's album sessions come an array of outstanding outtakes with Thom Bell, Holland-Dozier-Holland , Steve Barri & Michael Omartian and Jerry Ragovoy. There are also a whopping five recordings for a never-completed 1976 album with producer Joe Porter [[Gladys Knight & The Pips).

But perhaps the most tantalizing discovery is three previously unreleased Burt Bacharach creations [[penned with Neil Simon and Bobby Russell and engineered by Phil Ramone) that the maestro produced in 1974: "He Walked Right Through the Door," "And Then You Know What He Did" and "Plastic City." Fascinating, rare and essential, with notes by Paul Howes that featuring quotes from Dionne herself!

Track Listings

1. Too Far Out of Reach
    2. You Hurt Me So
    3. Give A Little Laughter
    4. You Are the Sunlight and I Am the Moon
    5. The Laughter & the Tears
    6. We Need To Go Back
    7. Someone Else Gets The Prize
    8. And Then You Know What He Did
    9. Plastic City
    10. He Walked Right Through the Door
    11. Meant to Be
    12. One Last Memory
    13. I Found Someone Else
    14. Make a Little Love to Me
    15. Am I Too Late?
    16. Rest Your Love on Me
    17. I'll Never Make It Easy
    18. Keep Me Warm
    19. Room Enough

Too Far Out Of Reach and You Hurt Me So......are two FABULOUS unissued tracks from the Just Being Myself.

I cant wait to hear crystal clear versions.....oh thank you very much Mr Warner Brothers

The Complete Warner Bros. Singles

Editorial Reviews

Dionne Warwick's 1972-1977 singles for the Warner Bros. label not only feature a reteaming with Burt Bacharach and Hal David but also a host of other top-drawer collaborators, including former Motown kingpins Holland-Dozier-Holland, Philly soul king Thom Bell, R&B legend Jerry Ragovoy, West Coast pop-rock pioneer Steve Barri with multiple Grammy-winner Michael Omartian, and ace Gladys Knight & The Pips producer Joe Porter.

Now, for the first-time ever, the "A" and "B" sides of all 21 of Warwick's original Warner Brothers stereo single sides are brought together into an album including such tracks that hit Billboard's Hot 100, R&B and Easy Listening charts as "Once You Hit The Road" and "If We Only Have Love." Although Dionne would leave Warners to achieve new triumphs with Arista Records in 1978, these long-buried gems many of which have never been released on CD reveal that her soulful pop sound and vision remained potent and true during the '70s. Paul Howes notes include quotes from Dionne herself that illuminate this overlooked period in her brilliant career.

Track Listings

1. If We Only Have Love
    2. Close to You
    3. I Think You Need Love
    4. Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You
    5. [[I'm) Just Being Myself
    6. You're Gonna Need Me
    7. Sure Thing
    8. Who Knows
    9. Take It from Me
    10. It's Magic
    11. Once You Hit the Road
    12. World of My Dreams
    13. His House and Me
    14. Ronnie Lee
    15. I Didn't Mean to Love You
    16. He's Not for You
    17. Do You Believe in Love at First Sight
    18. Do I Have to Cry
    19. Keepin' My Head above Water
    20. Livin' It Up Is Startin to Get Me Down
    21. Don't Ever Take Your Love Away

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    We Need To Go Back - The Unissued Warner Bros. Masters

Editorial Reviews

Although Dionne Warwick released five albums and nearly a dozen singles for Warner Brothers during her five-year [[1972-1977) stint with the label, a search through the tape vaults has uncovered a wealth of stellar unreleased masters whose rumored existence has tantalized collectors for decades. Now with its release of We Need to Go Back The Unissued Warner Bros. Masters, Real Gone Music has unearthed 19 rare treasures made with the involvement of some of the industry's top pop and soul producers.

For instance, the title track is one of a pair of songs Dionne recorded with R&B songwriting duo Ashford & Simpson during a 1973 session. That same year, pop composer Randy Edelman [["Weekend In New England") joined with Warwick [[and engineer Brooks Arthur) to wax a trio of tunes never-before-heard until now. From Dionne's album sessions come an array of outstanding outtakes with Thom Bell, Holland-Dozier-Holland , Steve Barri & Michael Omartian and Jerry Ragovoy. There are also a whopping five recordings for a never-completed 1976 album with producer Joe Porter [[Gladys Knight & The Pips).

But perhaps the most tantalizing discovery is three previously unreleased Burt Bacharach creations [[penned with Neil Simon and Bobby Russell and engineered by Phil Ramone) that the maestro produced in 1974: "He Walked Right Through the Door," "And Then You Know What He Did" and "Plastic City." Fascinating, rare and essential, with notes by Paul Howes that featuring quotes from Dionne herself!

Track Listings

1. Too Far Out of Reach
    2. You Hurt Me So
    3. Give A Little Laughter
    4. You Are the Sunlight and I Am the Moon
    5. The Laughter & the Tears
    6. We Need To Go Back
    7. Someone Else Gets The Prize
    8. And Then You Know What He Did
    9. Plastic City
    10. He Walked Right Through the Door
    11. Meant to Be
    12. One Last Memory
    13. I Found Someone Else
    14. Make a Little Love to Me
    15. Am I Too Late?
    16. Rest Your Love on Me
    17. I'll Never Make It Easy
    18. Keep Me Warm
    19. Room Enough
    Excellent news! Thanks, xtown.

Interesting SD posts from 2006

See MrLonelyHeart's post in particular.

http://faac.us/adf/messages/109997/1...tml?1153924372

Interesting SD posts from 2006

See MrLonelyHeart's post in particular.

http://faac.us/adf/messages/109997/1...tml?1153924372
    I have not seen any posts by MrLonelyHeart in a long while. I hope he's okay. He is the ultimate Dionne fan and I'm sure he will be jumping with joy when he hears of this upcoming release.

No_place

I thought that too so i am checking it out. I'll let you know.

This is FANTASTIC news!!! Whenever I discuss Dionne with fellow fans, I am always in the minority when I express the opinion that her WB and Arista recordings were more pleasing to me than the Scepter years. Yes, Hal and Burt created wonderful stuff, but to me the orchestrations were so much more sophisticated in the 70s and 80s, her vocals grew stronger, and there was just an overall more mature sound to her recordings.

So I will most definitely look forward to these previously unreleased songs. As for the already released stuff, can anyone explain why "Do You Believe in Love at First Sight" wasn't at least "some kind" of hit? It is such an awesome song.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    This is FANTASTIC news!!! Whenever I discuss Dionne with fellow fans, I am always in the minority when I express the opinion that her WB and Arista recordings were more pleasing to me than the Scepter years. Yes, Hal and Burt created wonderful stuff, but to me the orchestrations were so much more sophisticated in the 70s and 80s, her vocals grew stronger, and there was just an overall more mature sound to her recordings.

So I will most definitely look forward to these previously unreleased songs. As for the already released stuff, can anyone explain why "Do You Believe in Love at First Sight" wasn't at least "some kind" of hit? It is such an awesome song.
    Dionne's Arista period is my favorite. Her voice has a great mature tone during those years that is missing from the Scepter era. But I can also hear the makings of it during the Warner Bros. years. I find much of the material she did during those years "lost treasures."

I too love LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT. I gather WB wasn't putting much effort into promoting her records by that point.
    Last edited by reese; 06-09-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Those Warners recoordings are something else to look forward too.

Really looking forward to the 2 Warner cds. My favorite Warner album is TOTC: Thom Bell and Dionne =magic!
    Still wishing for a big fat box set but that might not happen with the release of the 2 new cds...

Bump for MJ

Re-read - #3

Why are there two threads about this? What was wrong with the first one?

The press release about the Scepter albums was long, so Reese created a second thread about the Warner's albums.

Some of Dionne Warwick's reissued albums have arrived at music webtailers. They are damned expensive. So far, I've only purchased three; two that I could have probably gotten cheap on vinyl and one just to see what the mono and stereo mixes are like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Some of Dionne Warwick's reissued albums have arrived at music webtailers. They are damned expensive. So far, I've only purchased three; two that I could have probably gotten cheap on vinyl and one just to see what the mono and stereo mixes are like.
    I think I'm going to start with the two WB collections that come out on 7/23, and wait for the prices to come down on the rest, especially since most of them were released by Collectors Choice or Ambassador Soul Classics fairly recently. Even though I really want it, I've lived without THE DIONNE WARWICKE STORY on cd this long, I suppose I can wait.

Waiting for the prices to come down makes sense. We already have these albums. The Dionne Warwicke Story is concert recordings from the 1960s including some of the Paris Live album and Dionne backed up on songs like Put A Little Love In Your Heart and Aquarius by that male group she ised to manage. I felt a little sick when I realized I could have bought it on vinyl on Ebay for about 99 cents. But I think the Japan reissue is supposed to have some additional live tracks that are not on the original album. Anyway, my birthday is coming up so I indulged.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-21-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Waiting for the prices to come down makes sense. We already have these albums. The Dionne Warwicke Story is concert recordings from the 1960s including some of the Paris Live albu and Dionne backed up on songs like Put A Little Love In Your Heart and Aquarius by that male group she ised to manage. I felt a little sick when I realized I could have bought it on vinyl on Ebay for about 99 cents. But I think the Japan reissue is supposed to have some additional live tracks that are not on the original album. Anyway, my birthday is coming up so I indulged.
    THE DIONNE WARWICKE STORY was one of the first albums that I ever bought by her, back in 1981. I still remember what I paid, $7.76 for a sealed copy.

Since it is a compilation of live tracks from the Olympia, the Copa, and the Garden State Center, among other locations, there are probably a lot of unreleased songs still in the vaults. Some of them were released on Rhino's VERY DIONNE expanded edition. There was supposed to be more unreleased live material released by Rhino, but it never came out. I don't know if this was one of the projects affected, but Dionne wrote that she asked Warner to hold back on the reissues because there were so many.

Reese, I went to CD Japan where it has the track selections for these LPs. Most are not full of bonus tracks, just the mono and stereo versions. I think Make Way had three songs in French. Track of the Cat has about 3 or 5 but mixes of the same song. anyway, I can be more selective in what Im getting.

Thanks for the info on CD Japan.

I looked at their listing for THE DIONNE WARWICKE STORY and saw that there are additional tracks added. However, they seem to be the same tracks that appear on the Rhino expanded edition of VERY DIONNE. And some of those were already repeats from THE DIONNE WARWICKE STORY.
    Last edited by reese; 07-22-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Waiting for the prices to come down makes sense. We already have these albums. The Dionne Warwicke Story is concert recordings from the 1960s including some of the Paris Live album and Dionne backed up on songs like Put A Little Love In Your Heart and Aquarius by that male group she ised to manage. I felt a little sick when I realized I could have bought it on vinyl on Ebay for about 99 cents. But I think the Japan reissue is supposed to have some additional live tracks that are not on the original album. Anyway, my birthday is coming up so I indulged.
    Doubtful the prices will drop since these are limited cardboard sleeve reproductions.
    They usually go in the other direction -- Up!
    Just received about 10 of these Thursday from CD Japan, I got some of the Scepters starting with
    "Make Way" and the first Warner one with Bacharach / David.
    Probably will pick up few more on the next pass.
    Being 62 I bought all of these when they were new!

Quote Originally Posted by 762rob View Post
    Doubtful the prices will drop since these are limited cardboard sleeve reproductions.
    They usually go in the other direction -- Up!
    Just received about 10 of these Thursday from CD Japan, I got some of the Scepters starting with
    "Make Way" and the first Warner one with Bacharach / David.
    Probably will pick up few more on the next pass.
    Being 62 I bought all of these when they were new!
    How is the sound quality? I thought some of the Collectors Choice releases didn't sound all that great, and wish that I had kept my Sequel reissues.

OK Reese, I thought two of the vocals Dionne recorded for The Love Machine were supposed to be on the Greatest Motion Pictures Hits album. I didn't see them on CD Japan. I thought the Collector's Choice discs sounded better than the Sequel versions.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    How is the sound quality? I thought some of the Collectors Choice releases didn't sound all that great, and wish that I had kept my Sequel reissues.
    Will do some serious listening on the big Klipschorns and let you know

Reese, I listened to Sensitive Sound Of... and the stereo mix doesn't sound any different from the Collector's Choice version. These discs were manufactured by Rhino, so that should tell you something about the sound quality. I did notice the mono mix was a bit louder and there are some things present in the mono mix that aren't in the stereo mix. I ONLY bought LP this again because someone on the forum kept raving about the single mix of You Can Have Him, which I didn't have. I am only buying 2 more of Dionne's Scepter LPs in this series. I think in this case too, the stereo LPs were better.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-25-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks Kamasu.

I'm still on the fence somewhat. There are too many and they are much too expensive. Re the Scepter years, I'm going to go with the ones that never made it to cd previously: GREATEST MOTION PICTURE HITS, THE DIONNE WARWICKE STORY and FROM WITHIN.

Do the cardboard covers fit into a regular-sized cd rack, or are they larger?

The covers are like the Motown Japanese imports; similar to those in Aretha's Complete Columbia Recordings.

Did anyone receive their copy of "We Need To Go Back"? How good are the tracks?

Not yet. I did get the Complete Warner Brothers Singles. We Need To Go Back was back ordered and shipped the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by helga View Post
    Did anyone receive their copy of "We Need To Go Back"? How good are the tracks?
    I thought the songs on here were middle of the road stuff. Aside from the tracks with Holland Dozier Holland, Jerry Ragavoy, Thom Bell and Bacharach, nothing really stood out. There are a few Olivia Newon John styled numbers, but not as good as anything she did. Frankly, nothing on this album would have changed Dionne's slip on the charts in the Seventies. However, Rest Your Love On Me should have not been vaulted. I wish Dionne would have let Isaac Hayes write and produce an entire album on her which he wanted to do.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-04-2013 at 08:29 AM.

They extra tracks on the JAP releases got changed:

http://theseconddisc.com/2013/08/06/...-to-cd-titles/

I received THE DIONNE WARWICKE STORY cd yesterday. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but what I've heard so far sounds fine. The only complaint I would have is that the cd jacket itself is too big for a normal cd rack, but that's a small quibble. And it is always funny to see how the song lyrics are transcribed, because they obviously aren't going by the sheet music.

I also bought the Warner collections of her singles and the unreleased material. Hearing the singles on one unit made me realize [[again) just how good some of the material she recorded during that period was. The unreleased material didn't have the same effect on me. I'll give it another listen at some point, but I didn't hear any lost hits. That's probably why it went unreleased.

Reese, I only remember the last four songs on We Need To Go Back and the track, Meant to Be by Jerry Ragovoy as being worthwhile finds.

Here are two favorites from the soulful Track of the Cat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd7qF3HvTv8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW6UTujqllE
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-09-2013 at 05:36 PM.

What do you guys think of the two HDH tracks?

What do you guys think of the two HDH tracks?
    They were OK.

What a shame. I adore them both. I have them playing on repeat from this new cd.

Decided to play track 3 onwards - The Unissued Warner Bros Masters

This is quite a good album. I'm pleased with this.

I didn't hear much that knocked me out. I did like Rest Your Love On Me. The tracks produced by Jerry Ragovoy were memorable.

I just received my copy today so here are my thoughts:

Overall a pleasant collection but for the most part I could see why they were not included on albums in the first place. Most were just not distinctive enough to stand out.

Some of them were too long to suit my taste. Dionne could always sell a song in 3 minutes and she does not need 5.

In some cases, these songs seemed ahead of their time and if you didn't know better, you would assume they were from 80s sessions. In one particular case [[Meant to Be) I was sure I was listening to an alternative version of Easy Love or Sweetie Pie. There was another song which reminded me of Some Changes Are For Good and yet another that sounded like it could have come from the Heartbreaker sessions.

However, there was one clear standout track for me but I think it is the story in the song itself that stands out, not necessarily her delivery of it. I am referring to "Am I Too Late." At the risk of getting us off track, can you just imagine what Phyllis Hyman could have done with that song??????????

Good observation, David. I agree with you about some of the songs not being good enough for release at the time. It souned as if Too Far Out of Reach was faded out because it fades at an odd point. It Hurts Me So was better. I thought the entire Do You Believe In Love at First Sight album as being a warm up for the songs she did at Arista.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-25-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Actually the first Arista album [["Dionne" in 1979) was the first album I ever bought by Dionne and it still remains my favorite. I had been aware of her throughout her career but never interested in buying an album until that one came out.

Once I took the plunge and bought that, I was so impressed that I must have raided every record store I could find and picked up just about every other album she had ever done so that I could complete my collection. So my point is that the Love at First Sight album was a later acquisition for me as opposed to one that I bought when it was released.

If I were to rank my favorite albums by her, it would crack my top five for sure. I think the title cut is awesome and why it was not a huge hit I have no idea. I liked several others on there as well. To find out from these liner notes that the album didn't even chart is mind-blowing.