[REMOVE ADS]

Tell me more about this Backbeats Series

I apologize if I missed a previous thread about this anywhere along the line, but I am just now beginning to learn about the Backbeats label and all the amazing material they are re-issuing. For example, there is apparently a great collection about to come out that features music from the Hi Records era. The collections I have seen feature just about any kind of soul music you can find, and there are usually 20 or more tracks on each CD, yet the prices seem to be dirt cheap.

So are these collections too good to be true? What is the quality like? How many of you have some of them in hand already?

I have some of the cds from the series and they usually are a mix of some well known songs and some more obscure songs. Quality is great and at this price a great buy!

daviddesper, here are two links to the series with members' comments. They are extraordinary both in the material, the number of tracks, the sound quality, artwork and the price. Don't hesitate!!!

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...light=dewhirst

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ight=BACKBEATS

The next batch of Backbeats releases comes out next Monday [[20th) and Amazon UK has just reduced five of the six to just £3 each!! Amazing. I've just ordered the two 70s funk/jazz comps. I don't know if it's a limited time offer, but hurry if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    The next batch of Backbeats releases comes out next Monday [[20th) and Amazon UK has just reduced five of the six to just £3 each!! Amazing. I've just ordered the two 70s funk/jazz comps. I don't know if it's a limited time offer, but hurry if you're interested.
    Incredibly good value pricewise, but, and I know it sounds churlish to complain at these prices, but I find they often have pretty unimaginative track listings with some CDs including tracks that have already been released many times. For newcomers to soul, though, very good value indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Amithesameboy View Post
    Incredibly good value pricewise, but, and I know it sounds churlish to complain at these prices, but I find they often have pretty unimaginative track listings with some CDs including tracks that have already been released many times. For newcomers to soul, though, very good value indeed.
    You're right, it's churlish!

I wanted to create a series that people could afford in a recession, so the licensing was really all about what I could get at a ridiculously low dealer price. So sure, many of the tracks have been available on other comps, but not @ £3.00 delivered to your door! Having said that, many tracks in the series have never been on CD before, so it's kinda swings and roundabouts really. Also, many companies will not clear for budget priced comps so there's not the same level of choice that there might be for higher priced comps.

The series was designed as a way of building a black music CD collection pretty cheaply and easily, so it should be viewed with that in mind.

I think most of 'em are on here:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_pg_...qid=1368997744

Ian D
    Last edited by Ian Dewhirst; 05-19-2013 at 05:11 PM.

This is an excellent label. For me in the states they are imports ,but some of the best. They have collections that are not available here domestic.