[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Sad to say Motown did not push He's My Man at all,The Supremes did all they could do,to push it,they[[Mary Cindy Scherrie)were on tv all the time,but Motown wouldn't help them,at all,and that's the truth.
    Please stay positive
    The record was distributed very poorly.

Sad to say Motown did not push He's My Man at all,The Supremes did all they could do,to push it,they[[Mary Cindy Scherrie)were on tv all the time,but Motown wouldn't help them,at all,and that's the truth.
    Please stay positive
    If there was a huge demand for Hes My Man Motown would have pushed it. They was in the business of making money and unfortunately by that time the Supremes were not a big money maker. Read Marys Supreme Faith book and she tell you in her own words how poor the attendance was in a lot of mid west venues.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    If there was a huge demand for Hes My Man Motown would have pushed it. They was in the business of making money and unfortunately by that time the Supremes were not a big money maker. Read Marys Supreme Faith book and she tell you in her own words how poor the attendance was in a lot of mid west venues.

Roberta
    You are not a business person that is evident. In order for there to be a demand, especially for music, people have to hear it, to know about it first. You make no money by not promoting your product or service. Motown did not help the Supremes. They did not promote them or their releases by 1975. Mary knows that probably better than anyone.

In the 70's, there were no female groups more successful than the Supremes overall. Some had one, perhaps two popular records, but overall the Supremes had far more.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Motown did not help the Supremes. They did not promote them or their releases by 1975.
    The 10th Supreme speaks with such authority. lol

Barbara Martin
    Mary Wilson
    Florence Ballard
    Diane Ross
    Cindy Birdsong
    Lynda Lawrence
    Scherrie Payne
    Susaye Greene
    Jean Terrell
    Marv2.

lolololol

The Pointer Sisters were more successful than the Supremes in the 70's. But the 70's were the age of the singer/songwriter ~ James Taylor, Carole King etc. The Supremes were old and there was nothing that could be done to change their fate especially when Mary and Pedro tried to direct things. It resulted in fiasco's like booking in a Country that practiced apartheid, booking at an oldies show and going out singing disco songs and getting boo'ed and releasing Touch as a single which closed the coffin.

The standard claptrap line from a fan when their favorite artist starts to fail is "the record company didn't promote them anymore"............and record companies do not promote acts that are not successful and can't come up with the hits. That was the Supremes in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The Pointer Sisters were more successful than the Supremes in the 70's. But the 70's were the age of the singer/songwriter ~ James Taylor, Carole King etc. The Supremes were old and there was nothing that could be done to change their fate especially when Mary and Pedro tried to direct things. It resulted in fiasco's like booking in a Country that practiced apartheid, booking at an oldies show and going out singing disco songs and getting boo'ed and releasing Touch as a single which closed the coffin.

The standard claptrap line from a fan when their favorite artist starts to fail is "the record company didn't promote them anymore"............and record companies do not promote acts that are not successful and can't come up with the hits. That was the Supremes in the 70's.
    No they [[the Pointer Sisters )were not and I am almost embarassed for you being that you are such a "chart head"! Take yourself to your nearest chart book or go google it. Count the entries for the Supremes between 1970-77, then go and count them for the Pointer Sisters and any other female group between 1970-79 [[I'll give you two extra years to try to pull the numbers outta your ass ok?) Be brave and come back and tell us what you discovered...............hehehehehehehehe!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-11-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Jobeterob........Just Do It! Let us know what you come up with and NO equivocating..... as you are well known to do!!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-11-2013 at 11:25 PM.

No they were not and I am almost embarassed for you being that you are such a "chart head"! Take yourself to your nearest chart book or go google it. Count the entries for the Supremes between 1970-77, then go and count them for the Pointer Sisters and any other female group between 1970-79 [[I'll give you two extra years to try to pull the numbers outta your ass ok?) Be brave and come back and tell us what you discovered...............hehehehehehehehe!
    You claim the Supremes were the top girl group in the 1970s and had all this chart sucess but then you say Motown didnt promote them. lol

asi recall, the Jean led Supremes had a few hits up until 1972 with ,UP THE LADDER,STONED LOVE,NATHAN JONES ,FLOY JOY and AUTOMAITCALLY SUNSHINE, and of course RIVER DEEP.
    but by 1973, it was over. the would have only one more minor hit with GONNA LET MY HEART.
    over all, the POINTER SISTERS were more successful, IMO.

I'd like to think the Supremes were still the most successful girl group in the 70s, and maybe they were if you factor in the Jean Terrell years. But during the second half of the decade, both the Pointer Sisters and Labelle were more popular. They also were definitely more "hip," while the Supremes were still in the slick Motown vein and their act probably seemed dated to many listeners by then.

The Pointers didn't really hit their stride until the early 80s, but their biggest hit to date, "Fire," came out in 1978, according to their official web site.

I was never much of a Labelle fan - Patti's voice is too shrill for me - but their "Lady Marmalade" and other hits were in the same time frame as the Mary, Sherrie, Susaye lineup and did better on the charts.

But I think if you take the whole decade into account, Marv is probably right. It's just that in the MSS years, the Supremes were in decline while the others were ascending.

You claim the Supremes were the top girl group in the 1970s and had all this chart sucess but then you say Motown didnt promote them. lol
    Look Einstein.....NOT! Whatever successes the Supremes experienced in the 70's were in spite of Motown, not because of them. I'd give most of the credit to their fan base, because Motown was not going out of their way to promote them after Diane left.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    asi recall, the Jean led Supremes had a few hits up until 1972 with ,UP THE LADDER,STONED LOVE,NATHAN JONES ,FLOY JOY and AUTOMAITCALLY SUNSHINE, and of course RIVER DEEP.
    but by 1973, it was over. the would have only one more minor hit with GONNA LET MY HEART.
    over all, the POINTER SISTERS were more successful, IMO.
    Between 1970-79 the Pointer Sisters had 4 Top 40 hits. The Supremes had 8!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I'd like to think the Supremes were still the most successful girl group in the 70s, and maybe they were if you factor in the Jean Terrell years. But during the second half of the decade, both the Pointer Sisters and Labelle were more popular. They also were definitely more "hip," while the Supremes were still in the slick Motown vein and their act probably seemed dated to many listeners by then.

The Pointers didn't really hit their stride until the early 80s, but their biggest hit to date, "Fire," came out in 1978, according to their official web site.

I was never much of a Labelle fan - Patti's voice is too shrill for me - but their "Lady Marmalade" and other hits were in the same time frame as the Mary, Sherrie, Susaye lineup and did better on the charts.

But I think if you take the whole decade into account, Marv is probably right. It's just that in the MSS years, the Supremes were in decline while the others were ascending.
    Between 1970-79 LaBelle had one [[1) Top 40 Hit. The Supremes had eight [[8) Top 40 Hits during that period. We can try the Emotions, but they will be found lacking. The bottomline is had Motown promoted The Supremes adequately during the 70's they would have more than likely double the number of top 40 Hits and would have easily continued on into the 80's.
    Last edited by marv2; 05-11-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post

In reality, the Supremes sound in the 70's [[especially when it came to the Mary, Scherrie & Susaye grouping) did not sound dated. In fact they were a bit ahead of their time with efforts such as "High Energy", a definite fit for the "Quiet Storm" format even today. "We Should Be Closer Together" was every bit as soulful and jazzy as the Emotions "hit" "Don't Ask My Neighbors" [[which incidentally followed the Supremes recording by 1 year!). The public was being told not to support the Supremes because they were now dated, no longer relevant and sequinned out. The irony is that they were being told..........by the Supremes own record company!!!!

The Three Degrees had 3 Top 40 Hits in the years 1970-79. The Supremes had 8.

Between 1970-79 LaBelle had one [[1) Top 40 Hit. The Supremes had eight [[8) Top 40 Hits during that period. We can try the Emotions, but they will be found lacking. The bottomline is had Motown promoted The Supremes adequately during the 70's they would have more than likely double the number of top 40 Hits and would have easily continued on into the 80's.
    lolololololololololol. It means a lot to you my dear doesnt it?

In reality, the Supremes sound in the 70's [[especially when it came to the Mary, Scherrie & Susaye grouping) did not sound dated. In fact they were a bit ahead of their time with efforts such as "High Energy", a definite fit for the "Quiet Storm" format even today. "We Should Be Closer Together" was every bit as soulful and jazzy as the Emotions "hit" "Don't Ask My Neighbors" [[which incidentally followed the Supremes recording by 1 year!). The public was being told not to support the Supremes because they were now dated, no longer relevant and sequinned out. The irony is that they were being told..........by the Supremes own record company!!!!
    I agree, their sound was incredible. Fresh and exciting. I liked Jean Terrell but think Sherrie Payne and then Susaye Greene took them into new territory which owed a lot less to "The Motown Sound" than did the Jean era. I just think in terms of appearance and presentation they may have seemed too "mainstream" by the late 70s compared to some of the others who were funkier [[like the Pointers) or more outlandish [[like Labelle).

I've always liked Early Morning Love. I never thought about the suggestive lyrics> I was glad to hear Mary sing out instead of the breathy sound that she developed later on in the late 60's early 70's. I wonder if we would be having the same conversation had Scherrie Payne recorded Early Morning Love in regards to the lyrics? He's My Man was a good single, Color My World Blue would have been a great follow up. Not too keen on song like It's All Been Said Before and Can't Stop A Girl In Love as singles. Now what should have been on the 75 lp was Bend A Little, now that would have been a fantastic singl for the group in 1975.
    Well it look like according to Marv, the Supremes did pretty well with 8 top 40 hits in the 70's compared to the other groups. People give Labelle a lot of credit but they only had 2 songs that really hit for them Lady Marmelade and I sold My Heart to the Junkman. They had popular songs but not hits I take it. I would have thought for sure that the Pointer Sisters would have been in the running because songs like, Fire, He So Shy, Betcha You Got A Chick On The Side, Fairy Tales, and Yes We Can Can

I remember hearing 'He's my man' on the radio many, many times during 1975. I thought it was an amazingly good record, and was bound to be a hit. Despite the airplay, it wasn't successful - but 38 years later, I still love hearing it.

At the time [[1975) I didn't realise that the lead singer wasn't Jean Terrell - of course I recognised Mary's voice.

I bought the LP and thought it was a substantial improvement upon previous releases [[Floy Joy and the Jimmy Webb LP). I still didn't know that Jean had left the group.

The LP was a collection of very good songs - and I particularly liked that Mary was also given a much higher profile in the singing.

Because of the discussion on here, I played the LP in the car last night - and enjoyed listening to it whilst driving.

I have no idea if the LP was given any publicity - I generally only read Blues and Soul at the time. No point in debating the 'what if ..' - history can't be re-written.

Ah................but Marv I thought you don't give a "shit" about the Charts. Or is that when Diane is on them?

From 1975 to 1988, the Pointer Sisters had 26 R & B Hits; 18 of those were Top 40 hits. Five of them went into the Top 10 and three made the Top 3.

Sadly, the Supremes evaporated around that time. I wish it were otherwise too. They had 5 singles reach the R & B Top 100, and only one made the Top 40 [[I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking - 25). He's My Man made #69. Although I love some of the five songs, none of those really qualify as a hit.

The point really is the Pointer Sisters took over as the dominant group from the Supremes, just like one day Whitney took from Diana as the dominant R & B female singer.

The public was being told not to support the Supremes because they were now dated, no longer relevant and sequinned out. The irony is that they were being told..........by the Supremes own record company!!!!
    Can't you just hear John/Jane Q. Public:
    "Yes[['m), Motown, master. We[['ll) be good men and women, boys and girls. You want us who have expressed interest in the Supremes to now abandon them because they are outdated, irrelevant, and still in sequins. Of course we will, since you say so......
    Marv's assertion sounds absolutely absurd.
    Marv please produce documentation to back up your statement. If you cannot, if I were you I would beg Roberta to get some prayer warriors [[and being a Christian woman, I'm sure that she would) or Jobeterob if he knows any good lawyers in the U.S. [[and being a decent human being I'm sure he would assist) lest someone from Motown decide to ask you to defend what you have posted that can easily be viewed as libel.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Can't you just hear John/Jane Q. Public:
    "Yes[['m), Motown, master. We[['ll) be good men and women, boys and girls. You want us who have expressed interest in the Supremes to now abandon them because they are outdated, irrelevant, and still in sequins. Of course we will, since you say so......
    Marv's assertion sounds absolutely absurd.
    Marv please produce documentation to back up your statement. If you cannot, if I were you I would beg Roberta to get some prayer warriors [[and being a Christian woman, I'm sure that she would) or Jobeterob if he knows any good lawyers in the U.S. [[and being a decent human being I'm sure he would assist) lest someone from Motown decide to ask you to defend what you have posted that can easily be viewed as libel.
    No, it's your ignorance of history is what is absolutely absurd! That was exactly what Suzanne DePasse was saying in public back at the time just before Motown.............................Introduced High Inergy! If you knew anything, you would know that [[so why am I even wasting my time responding to you!
    ) LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-12-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Ah................but Marv I thought you don't give a "shit" about the Charts. Or is that when Diane is on them?

As I said. You are a "chart head" and this was the only way I could think of communicating to you that you were wrong as Hell when you claimed that the Pointer Sisters were more successful in the 70's than the Supremes!

From 1975 to 1988, the Pointer Sisters had 26 R & B Hits; 18 of those were Top 40 hits. Five of them went into the Top 10 and three made the Top 3.

You are lying. Nothing usual about that. That is a 13 year span. That's including the 70's and the 80's.

Sadly, the Supremes evaporated around that time. I wish it were otherwise too. They had 5 singles reach the R & B Top 100, and only one made the Top 40 [[I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking - 25). He's My Man made #69. Although I love some of the five songs, none of those really qualify as a hit.

More lies. The Supremes had 8 Top 40 Hits between 1970-79, whereas the Pointer Sisters had 4!

The point really is the Pointer Sisters took over as the dominant group from the Supremes, just like one day Whitney took from Diana as the dominant R & B female singer.

The point is, you cannot tell the truth with a LIE!
    As I said. You are a "chart head" and this was the only way I could think of communicating to you that you were wrong as Hell when you claimed that the Pointer Sisters were more successful in the 70's than the Supremes!

You are lying. Nothing usual about that. That is a 13 year span. That's including the 70's and the 80's.

More lies. The Supremes had 8 Top 40 Hits between 1970-79, whereas the Pointer Sisters had 4!

The point is, you cannot tell the truth with a LIE!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-12-2013 at 02:02 PM.

One other thing. I clearly asked that you not do what you normally do and that is equivocate your responses, but being that I know you as a mostly dishonest person, you went and did it anyway!

The time frame in question was the 70's and specifically 1970-79 [[The Supremes did not exist as a recording act after 1977!). But once again, you pretend you do not read and understand English and chose to use the years 1975-88 which is a 13 year period to make a point about the Pointer Sisters hits.

I stand by what I said originally. There were no other female group in the 70's that were more successful than the Supremes. The Supremes did it with minor support from their record company and very little promotion. The had 8 Top 40 Hits between 1970-79 and the Pointers Sisters had 4 Top 40 Hits between 1970-79.
    Last edited by marv2; 05-12-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Carole: Yes, I can refer Marv to good counsel for his legal actions. Penny has given him good Avon products to calm him ~ but to know avail. And I'm sure that Roberta has prayed for his soul [[and possibly some strategically placed duct tape).

I'm waiting for a SD Press Release from Smokey refuting any suggestions Motown did not market all of it's act to the maximum: "We at Motown were in the business of making hits and any suggestion to the contrary comes from the same ill advised people that suggested Berry was connected to the Mafia".

The 70's Supremes made the R & B Top 40 9 times; the Pointer Sisters made the R & B Top 40 TWENTY ONE [[21) times!

K, everyone else stop reading here; but MARV, READ ON: God I love this:

"Just goes to show you that without Diane, the Supremes rapidly deteriorated to a minor blip on the screen".

Carole: Yes, I can refer Marv to good counsel for his legal actions. Penny has given him good Avon products to calm him ~ but to know avail. And I'm sure that Roberta has prayed for his soul [[and possibly some strategically placed duct tape).

I'm waiting for a SD Press Release from Smokey refuting any suggestions Motown did not market all of it's act to the maximum: "We at Motown were in the business of making hits and any suggestion to the contrary comes from the same ill advised people that suggested Berry was connected to the Mafia".

The 70's Supremes made the R & B Top 40 9 times; the Pointer Sisters made the R & B Top 40 TWENTY ONE [[21) times!

K, everyone else stop reading here; but MARV, READ ON: God I love this:

"Just goes to show you that without Diane, the Supremes rapidly deteriorated to a minor blip on the screen".
    Still equivocating I see. I never referred to the "R&B Top 40" I was referring to "The Top 40" , a chart that you especially would value. You just cannot be honest to save your life, can you? So continue on with your blather, blather, blather in your most weakest attempts to downplay and de-value Mary and the 70's Supremes. [[Although, there never was an act called "The 70's Supremes"! LOL!!!!)

The Supremes were the most successful female group overall of the 70's!

Facts are facts. Isnt it odd that on a Motown forum with Motown people like Andy and George etc who so value the work theyve done on among others the Supremes, as do many fans here, some want do devalue Supremes work in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Facts are facts. Isnt it odd that on a Motown forum with Motown people like Andy and George etc who so value the work theyve done on among others the Supremes, as do many fans here, some want do devalue Supremes work in the 70s.
    Whos facts are we talking about dear? Your bff marv2? The man who claim that heard Love hangover 2 months before it was released?

Hes been busted more times than lindsay Lohan. lolololololol

Roberta

Well Marv is right on this[[like it or not)we're talking about the 70s,not the 80s,The Supremes ended in 77,so you can't put them in the 80s,The fans was doing more promotion then Motown,and yes the writing was on the wall when Motown sign a new girl group,name High Inergy,in they're promo Motown called them The New Supremes,Really?The Supremes were still with Motown,and at the time,having some success with they're latest album called High Energy,Pedro should have not been in the picture,[[at all)as fare as Diana goes,Everything is Everything,Surrender album didn't do so well,and i love those albums anyway,both act's had they're share of problems,that's life
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    If they weren't so disingenuous, and this talking out of both sides of their mouths. If it weren't so gross, it might be funny! Why pretend to be such big fans that you come on here and discuss them every friggin day, but want to deny them of their accomplishments on the other hand. Praising Andy ,George and whomever for their work reissuing recordings and then softly slamming the recording artists is just insane!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-12-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Whos facts are we talking about dear? Your bff marv2? The man who claim that heard Love hangover 2 months before it was released?

Hes been busted more times than lindsay Lohan. lolololololol

Roberta
    You are so embarassing LOL! There are only one set of facts for anything. Just as the truth is the truth and you cannot add or take away from it. It's your responses like this one that makes me question whether or not you truly are a spiritual person or if you are just using the Bible and religion to project a false image of yourself here to the other members? You do remind me of this guy called "Jonc" that use to post here before Ralph had to ban him for being routinely nasty and obnoxious. You even use the same phrases, language and quotes he did..........
    Last edited by marv2; 05-12-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Well Marv is right on this[[like it or not)we're talking about the 70s,not the 80s,The Supremes ended in 77,so you can't put them in the 80s,The fans was doing more promotion then Motown,and yes the writing was on the wall when Motown sign a new girl group,name High Inergy,in they're promo Motown called them The New Supremes,Really?The Supremes were still with Motown,and at the time,having some success with they're latest album called High Energy,Pedro should have not been in the picture,[[at all)as fare as Diana goes,Everything is Everything,Surrender album didn't do so well,and i love those albums anyway,both act's had they're share of problems,that's life
    Please stay positive
    Thank you Redhot!

There you go lying again! The Pointer Sisters had seven [[7) R&B Top 40 hits in the .70's. The Supremes had nine [[9) R&B Top 40 hits in the 70's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Poi...rs_discography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Supremes_discography

You are so embarassing LOL! There are only one set of facts for anything. Just as the truth is the truth and you cannot add or take away from it. It's your responses like this one that makes me question whether or not you truly are a spiritual person or if you are just using the Bible and religion to project a false image of yourself here to the other members? You do remind me of this guy called "Jonc" that use to post here before Ralph had to ban him for being routinely nasty and obnoxious. You even use the same phrases, language and quotes he did..........
    I am not the embarrasing one myself. You should be real embarresed for all the yarns you spin. I am not jonc or anyone else I am Roberta and I am a proud Christian and you my dear are in my prayers. Youve yet to address how you heard love Hangover months before it was released but carry on marv2 we are onto you.

Roberta*

Praising Andy ,George and whomever for their work reissuing recordings and them softly slamming the recording artists is just insane!
    Two words dear marv2 Diane Ross. The only difference is you dont softly slam her.

There you go lying again! The Pointer Sisters had seven [[7) R&B Top 40 hits in the .70's. The Supremes had nine [[9) R&B Top 40 hits in the 70's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Poi...rs_discography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Supremes_discography
    wikipedia can be edited and embellished by anyone but if you want to promote the 70s Supremes as the top group from the 1970s even though you claim that motown didnt promote them then go ahead my dear. If thats all you got then you go run with it.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

I am not the embarrasing one myself. You should be real embarresed for all the yarns you spin. I am not jonc or anyone else I am Roberta and I am a proud Christian and you my dear are in my prayers. Youve yet to address how you heard love Hangover months before it was released but carry on marv2 we are onto you.

Roberta*
    I'm sorry but you just remind me so much of this dude named Jonc. He use to follow me around the forum habitually harping on something very trivial. You do the same thing and you use the same wording, phrases he did. That's all.

wikipedia can be edited and embellished by anyone but if you want to promote the 70s Supremes as the top group from the 1970s even though you claim that motown didnt promote them then go ahead my dear. If thats all you got then you go run with it.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta
    I'm not trying promote a now defunct group! I used Wikipedia as a source for the sake of speed . Now you can take the time if you want to and go back to all those old Billboard Magazines that they have online now and count up the chart entries for the Supremes and the Pointer Sisters in the 70's. I just don't have the time. Motown did not promote them adequately. The fans did more to promote them and their work in those days.

I'm sorry but you just remind me so much of this dude named Jonc. He use to follow me around the forum habitually harping on something very trivial. You do the same thing and you use the same wording, phrases he did. That's all.
    Well once again you are wrong. You remind me of a nasty person I used to work with that craved attention and called people horrible names but I know your not. See you start stuff and get real nasty with people and then you sit back playing po me while you wait for Ralph to ban people That aint gonna happen with me cuase I am onto your games and tricks and bu****it and Im friends with Ralph and I like and respect Ralph a lot.

Now I had you on ignore for 6 months but you carried on responding to a lot of my posts so if you want me to put you on ignore again you need to ignore me as well and that mean all of my postings.

Roberta
    Last edited by Roberta75; 05-12-2013 at 09:09 PM.

first of all, I am a fan of the supremes, all of them. and I like the Pointer sisters as well.
    I did hear the early 70s hits on the radio from the supremes but nothing after 1972. never heard any of the disco hits from the mid 70's. I liked the supremes but they seemd over by then. I saw the Pointer Sisters on tv all the time and heard them on the radio,and they were even in THe movies, CAR WASH.
    the last hit the Supremes had was FLOY JOY,,only 6 top twenty hits. I wanted thr supremes to have a hit like everyone else but here in Baltimore, the supremes were over and considered oldies but goodies

The public was being told not to support the Supremes because they were now dated, no longer relevant and sequinned out. The irony is that they were being told..........by the Supremes own record company!!!!
    That was exactly what Suzanne DePasse was saying in public back at the time just before Motown.............................Introduced High Inergy!

I'm glad you cleared that up. I NEVER knew that you considered Suzanne DePasse a record company. I've yet to see a Supremes' record on Suzanne Depasse Records. My, the things we learn at SDF.

alexgarret Guest
    This....
    <<Youve yet to address how you heard love Hangover months before it was released but carry on marv2 we are onto you.>>

No, it's your ignorance of history is what is absolutely absurd! That was exactly what Suzanne DePasse was saying in public back at the time just before Motown.............................Introduced High Inergy!
    ) LOL!
    You, Marv, have said always go to someone who was there. So I did. I went to "Dreamgirl" and "Supreme Faith" to see what Mary had to say about High Inergy and Suzanne DePasse.
    Guess what......No mention of Motown or Suzanne promoting High Inergy as the new Supremes and trying to sway the public away from Supreme loyalty.
    Surprisingly, Mary only mentions High Inergy once [[in "Dreamgirl")- in the prologue as participants at Motown 25.
    But here's what she says about Suzanne in ''Supreme Faith" :
    "Many of the old-timers wondered whether Suzanne could handle everything Berry threw her way, but she did. She also brought aboard a new way of thinking about artists and records. I must say that OF ANYONE AT THE LABEL, SHE SEEMED TO BE THE PERSON MOST BEHIND THE SUPREMES. [[pg. 46)
    "Suzanne dePasse and I talked about Motown's plans for a possible Supremes reunion. Although I have not always agreed with Suzanne over the years, SHE IS FAIR. At one point she said that she really liked my voice and she thought they could 'do something with it'. That was the first time anyone at Motown had ever complimented me" [[pg. 263)

Even if Suzanne did say what you suggest, Mary seems to either have forgotten it, or chooses not to mention it, or ......read on.

As far as girl groups of the 70's especially around 1971, I think the Honey Cone gave Motown and any other girl group a run for their money. "Want Ads", "Stick Up", "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show", "The Day I Found Myself" and " Sitting On A Time Bomb" etc. were big hits for the ladies. I think they made a lot of people nervous including Motown, The Supremes and myself included. It was hard to ignore the Hone Cone since The Holland Brothers were suppose to be featured writers for the label. What The Supremes had was longevity from their history but time and creativity was catching up to them and on the circuit "Baby Love " sounded better with Diana singing it since she was the lead singer during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    You, Marv, have said always go to someone who was there. So I did. I went to "Dreamgirl" and "Supreme Faith" to see what Mary had to say about High Inergy and Suzanne DePasse.
    Guess what......No mention of Motown or Suzanne promoting High Inergy as the new Supremes and trying to sway the public away from Supreme loyalty.
    Surprisingly, Mary only mentions High Inergy once [[in "Dreamgirl")- in the prologue as participants at Motown 25.
    But here's what she says about Suzanne in ''Supreme Faith" :
    "Many of the old-timers wondered whether Suzanne could handle everything Berry threw her way, but she did. She also brought aboard a new way of thinking about artists and records. I must say that OF ANYONE AT THE LABEL, SHE SEEMED TO BE THE PERSON MOST BEHIND THE SUPREMES. [[pg. 46)
    "Suzanne dePasse and I talked about Motown's plans for a possible Supremes reunion. Although I have not always agreed with Suzanne over the years, SHE IS FAIR. At one point she said that she really liked my voice and she thought they could 'do something with it'. That was the first time anyone at Motown had ever complimented me" [[pg. 263)

Even if Suzanne did say what you suggest, Mary seems to either have forgotten it, or chooses not to mention it, or ......read on.
    I am declining at this point of saying anymore regarding this issue, hehehehehehehehe!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-13-2013 at 11:44 AM.

No, it's your ignorance of history is what is absolutely absurd! That was exactly what Suzanne DePasse was saying in public back at the time just before Motown.............................Introduced High Inergy! LOL!
    I know that you, Marv, claim that you are not guided by the record charts, yet you do refer to them often.
    Looking at the charts I noted that Motown released High Inergy's first single
    in September of 1977 and their first album in October of 1977 [[they had just graduated from Pasadena's Blair High School that summer).
    The Supremes' [[Mary, Scherrie, Susaye) last performance had taken place on June 12, 1977 at Drury Lane Theatre, London, after which Mary Wilson officially left the group. Thereafter there was discussion at Motown about possibly continuing the group with a third girl, [[Mary mentions this several times in "Supreme Faith" and adds this tidbit " I wasn't surprised to read the numerous stories of Scherrie and Susaye where they talked about how 'their NEW SUPREMES would be different'''. Technically once Mary left there was no current official Motown group known as The Supremes.
    In fact, Mary learned after her exit from the group that a South American commitment [[scheduled while Mary was still a Supreme) had to be fulfilled. Scherrie and Susaye did not want to be involved on such short notice, so Mary recruited Cindy Birdsong and Debbie Sharpe to assist her. They could not be billed as The Supremes. Instead the show had to be billed as 'The Mary Wilson of the Supremes Show'.
    If Motown was discerning whom the 'new Supremes' would be, either Scherrie, Susaye & ? or if they wanted to begin anew with teenagers, High Inergy, that was their perogative. Neither Suzanne nor Motown could have been disuading the public away from a group that no longer officially existed.
    Once again, Marv , your history is off target.

Carol, you made a strong rebuttal to Marv's statement and what is his reaction ?

This
    I am declining at this point of saying anymore regarding this issue, hehehehehehehehe!
    He makes statements, can't back them up, and then runs away, ignores, and shuts his mouth. If only we could get him to shut his mouth before he makes statements that he can't back up hehehehehehehe!

Jobeterob........Just Do It! Let us know what you come up with and NO equivocating..... as you are well known to do!!!!
    Marv has the nerve to tell another member on this board to back up what he says, but Marv does not follow his own advice. Marv, just do it! Let us know what you come up with and no equivocating....as you are well known to do!!! How did you hear Love Hangover by the Fifth Dimension before it was even recorded. And what about that three month drama about Motown 50 that you put us through where you knew all this inside info about the upcoming TV special. You know, the one that never happened?

And now, your Gospel According to Marv story of Suzannne DePasse
    Name:  busted.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  63.9 KB

Good research Carole. The cold hard facts of what Mary wrote and your research will again leave Marv2 speechless and he'll doubtless decline to comment again ~ miraculous that you pulled that off.

What I got out of this discussion is it shows how much the female group declined in the 70's. There just weren't many of them out there and they didn't have a lot of success. Perhaps it also happened to the male groups because all the Motown groups started to decline during the 70's. The Jacksons certainly started off with a bang but it wasn't a lot of years before their hits started to be fewer.

Good research Carole. The cold hard facts of what Mary wrote and your research will again leave Marv2 speechless and he'll doubtless decline to comment again ~ miraculous that you pulled that off.
    He has done it already Rob.

He now refuses to comment on this subject and has left the thread to start trouble in another thread.