[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Early Morning Love best dance record with Mary upfront

i can't remember but I thought "Early Morning Love" was the flip side of "Im Gonna Let My heart do the walking" wow, EML should have been a single and it would have worked better than "Where Do I Go From Here" it would have capitalized on the disco flavored rise on the dance floor of
    "He's My Man" which hit #1 on the disco dance floor and Mary was fabulous as the sole lead on that track and Cindy and Scherrie give the background a new flavor sound with two sopranos backing it up: Another wasted effort. I remember the fabulous performance the Supremes put in on the Sammy Davis Show in the summer of 75 when they performed the song in those satin gowns that featured a train with the silver hats.

That was a great record.

It was released as a single in the UK http://images.45cat.com/the-supremes...mla-motown.jpg

What I always liked about this record is that it really signaled Mary's emergence finally as a lead singer on some of the songs. I believe it was the second track on the LP, after "He's My Man," which was Sherrie's fantastic introduction to most of us fans. But Mary's turn on "Early Morning Love" was unique in many ways, not only because it was really her first true lead as she had shared the lead earlier on "Touch" with Jean, but because it showed the Supremes would also finally venture into more adult material. [[I guess Diane finally started recording more adult material as well around the same time, starting with "Love Hangover.")

"EML" was, after all, about making love...or perhaps I should say having sex. There was really no "love" theme in the song. It was stylish, sensuous and I loved it! The best line I think is when she sings "Touch my shoulder...turn me over...!"

IMO Early Morning Love was just not that ineteresting and a bit rough around the edges. Loved Where do I go from here.

I agree with Luke. WHAT? That song was dead on arrival. I really thought Can't Stop A Girl in Love should have been given a singles shot.

OMG! That was the line in the song I was going mention that made it for me! "Touch my shoulder......turn me over!". I was like, well get on down then.......hehehehehehe....

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I agree with Luke. WHAT? That song was dead on arrival. I really thought Can't Stop A Girl in Love should have been given a singles shot.
    I agree with Luke too. I wonder if the singles had been You Can't Stop A Girl in Love and Where Do I Go From Here right from the get go..........if history would not have been different. Both Early Morning Love and He's My Man don't have strong hooks and a direction; there was a lot of bombast in He's My Man but it sure doesn't have the melody of Can't Stop a Girl in Love.

smark21 Guest
    I have to disagree. For me, Early Morning Love is the worst song to make the Supremes 75 album. Ballads are Mary’s forte, not dance songs. Her best dance lead vocals are on He’s My Man and Sweet Dream Machine where the lead is shared and Mary’s voice is well deployed for the verses she’s given. As for Early Morning Love, the arrangement is annoying and the lyrics are cheap and slutty.

smark21 Guest
    Anyone think Color My World Blue should have been a single?

Here they are doing "Early Morning Love" on Soul Train:

Color My World Blue would have been better than Early Morning Love and He's My Man.

The world was colored by disco in those years; perhaps if that era had passed, a couple of these other songs [[You Can't Stop a Girl In Love, Color My World Blue, Where Do I Go From Here) would have had better chances and spurred interest in the Supremes.

Wasn't Where Do I Go From Here from one of the top production teams at the time who had come off a hit from the Four Tops and others? And yet, it becomes 2nd and 3rd choice to songs that are now clearly weaker songs.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I agree with Luke too. I wonder if the singles had been You Can't Stop A Girl in Love and Where Do I Go From Here right from the get go..........if history would not have been different. Both Early Morning Love and He's My Man don't have strong hooks and a direction; there was a lot of bombast in He's My Man but it sure doesn't have the melody of Can't Stop a Girl in Love.
    He's My Man #1 Billboard Disco Chart, and "Early Morning Love" were both disco orientated records, Scherrie's tracks ycsagil and wdigfh were not that disco orientated the later only made it to #93 on the chart, and given a push i believe He's My Man could have done some business on the pop chart Early Morning Love [[also a #3 disco hit i believe) had in your face lyrics and get on down to love well didn't the 70's signify the ladies speaking their mind look at Three Degrees track "Dirty Ole Man"h

as always thanks Marvin for posting that Soul Train track. Did you ever see them do that and He's my man on the Sammy Davis Jr. show in 1975.

I agree with those who said the record is inferior. "He's my man" and "I'm gonna let my heart do the walking" were better songs. "I'm gonna let my heart" is the best disco song they recorded. However, neither topped the disco chart.
    Last edited by skooldem1; 05-07-2013 at 09:52 PM.

The Three Degrees were making better records than the Supremes were in 1975. I don't get why most Supremes lovers think that album from 1975 and everything on it could have been a hit? I was told some people laughed and booed when the Supremes appeared on TV promoting songs from that album. They were almost an anachronism by then. I gotta agree with most who don't like Early Morning Love. Was there a REAL or legitimate DISCO music chart in 1975?
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 05-08-2013 at 05:31 AM.

...I was told some people laughed and booed when the Supremes appeared on TV promoting songs from that album. ... Was there a REAL or legitimate DISCO music chart in 1975?
    I've seen all their TV appearances as they were broadcast, and I don't recall them ever being booed. You may be referring to their infamous Madison Square Garden appearance. It was an oldies show and the audience was prepped to hear hits of the fifties and sixties. The Supremes came out in their gowns singing their new stuff and were booed. Their timing was wrong. It was too early for them to be on the oldies circuit. Today, Mary makes does many of her appearances on the oldies circuit performing the Supremes hits. She has been in my area twice in the past few months. She opened for Herman's Hermits who headlined the bill. But in 1975, they were still contemporary and should not have been in an oldies act.

I don't there was an actual disco chart in the major trade magazines in 1975.

smark21 Guest
    Color My World Blue would have been better than Early Morning Love and He's My Man.

The world was colored by disco in those years; perhaps if that era had passed, a couple of these other songs [[You Can't Stop a Girl In Love, Color My World Blue, Where Do I Go From Here) would have had better chances and spurred interest in the Supremes.

Wasn't Where Do I Go From Here from one of the top production teams at the time who had come off a hit from the Four Tops and others? And yet, it becomes 2nd and 3rd choice to songs that are now clearly weaker songs.
    Early Morning Love and Where Do I Go From Here were both produced by the Hollands. Where is much better IMO.

never cared for EARLY MORNING LOVE much although I did hear another mix of it that I thought was better. Color MY World Blue is my fav track from the album. also liked IT'S ALL BEEN SAID .imo,i would have used BEND A LITTLE and SHA LA BANDIT instead of EML and HMM. Mary;s CAN WE LOVE AGAIN is also superior and I would have used it instead of WHERE DI I BELONG. good album though

I like EML. It's catchy. I've really gotten hooked on "Give Out, But Don't Give Up". Nice that they provided all three versions on the Let Yourself Go boxed set. I've also rediscovered Mary's solo album after ripping it to CD this past weekend. "You Make me Feel So Good" and "[[I Love a) Warm Summer Night" have stuck in my head. Not soul/disco masterpieces, but both have a nice hook. Partners also has a few interesting tracks.

. Was there a REAL or legitimate DISCO music chart in 1975?
    In 1974, Billboard starting publishing a Disco Action chart of the top ten records that were doing well in NY discos. Later they expanded to regional playlists. In August of 1976, they started publishing the National Disco Action Top 30.

Here is a link to all the number one songs on the Billboard Disco/Dance charts from 1974-1995. I don't see "He's my man" listed on there. Maybe it was just a regional #1.

http://www.disco-disco.com/disco/billboard.shtml
    Last edited by skooldem1; 05-08-2013 at 05:27 PM.

I wonder if Scherrie ever recorded a lead? Having heard the alternates of 'Give OUt', it may be possible.

The early charts measured play in about 10 different cities at a few clubs in each city; sometimes, the songs weren't even released as singles. It had nothing to do with sales or radio play. All it signified is play in a certain few clubs. Nice, interesting ~ but like so many of the niche charts, it paled in significance to a Hot 100 hit or a hit album.

A big problem for the 70's Supremes was what Mary has mentioned ~ the albums did not sell and with each release they sold less and less. I wonder if things would have been different had Stoned Love been issued as a single behind Up the Ladder to the Roof and if it had been on Right On and if the cover of Right On had been the back cover of New Ways But Love Stays ~ that would have shaken things up.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I've seen all their TV appearances as they were broadcast, and I don't recall them ever being booed. You may be referring to their infamous Madison Square Garden appearance. It was an oldies show and the audience was prepped to hear hits of the fifties and sixties. The Supremes came out in their gowns singing their new stuff and were booed. Their timing was wrong. It was too early for them to be on the oldies circuit. Today, Mary makes does many of her appearances on the oldies circuit performing the Supremes hits. She has been in my area twice in the past few months. She opened for Herman's Hermits who headlined the bill. But in 1975, they were still contemporary and should not have been in an oldies act.

I don't there was an actual disco chart in the major trade magazines in 1975.
    I meant that people watching the Supremes performing on TV in their living rooms actually hooted and booed. It happened at my dad's house. He and some college friends were watching the Supremes on TV in 1975. His friends thought they were corny.

I meant that people watching the Supremes performing on TV in their living rooms actually hooted and booed. It happened at my dad's house. He and some college friends were watching the Supremes on TV in 1975. His friends thought they were corny.
    I thought you said you were born in 1978? LOL!!!

I was born in 1977. My dad taped and filmed things from TV with a cassette recorder and live mic and a movie camera and had the junk transferred later to video tape. I look at all that old crap [[scrapbooks, footage, photos, old news clippings ) that he has stored away.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 05-08-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I thought you said you were born in 1978? LOL!!!

I was born in 1977. My dad taped and filmed things from TV with a cassette recorder and live mic and a movie camera and had the junk transferred later to video tape. I look at all that old crap [[scrapbooks, footage, photos, old news clippings ) that he has stored away.
    SEE HOW EASY THAT WAS MARV? YOU WERE CURIOUS HOW HE WAS ABLE TO WATCH A TV SHOW TWO YEARS BEFORE HE WAS BORN AND HE EXPLAINED IT TO YOU.

WE ASKED YOU TO EXPLAIN HOW YOU HEARD FIFTH DIMENSION'S LOVE HANGOVER ON THE RADIO BEFORE IT WAS RECORDED, AND YOU REFUSE TO TELL US HOW.

IF ONLY YOU HAD THE SAME INTERNET MANNERS AS KAMASU

IT KINDA MAKES ME WONDER

That's cool I wished my father had the forsight to do things like that.

I do think COLOR MY WORLD BLUE could have been a single

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    I do think COLOR MY WORLD BLUE could have been a single
    I liked that one too. It definitely had that Supreme sound to it.

smark21 Guest
    If I were the exec producer of Supremes 75 album, I would have vaulted Early Morning Love, Where is it I Belong, and This is Why I Believe in You and inserted Bend a Little, Can We Love Again, and either Sha La Bandit [[multi-lead version that was on the 70’s Supremes Anthology) or It’s In His Kiss.

"Where is it I Belong" is probably the most popular song from that album judging by Youtube and the people that still enjoy it.

Always felt Hes My Man had a tremendous updated Motown sound and could have been a smash with more promotion. I find Mary's vocal strained on EML.

I am so happy EML made the Supremes album it was a new sound for the group with Mary stepping up and doing an uptiempo track and yes she sounded raw but heck everything was raw and in your face in the 70's. That album was off the chart although the public didn't embrace it, I sure did it had something for everybody. I remember Soul Magazine did a whole page of fan reaction to the album and it was all positive, and with Scherrie sharing the lead duties with Mary they put out some good tracks He's My Man, Early Morning Love, Let My Heart Do the Walking, Your My Driving Wheel, and High Energy were all played in the clubs and were on the disco charts.

and another hot track that was also on the disco chart at #9 was "Love I never knew you could feel so good.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Always felt Hes My Man had a tremendous updated Motown sound and could have been a smash with more promotion. I find Mary's vocal strained on EML.
    That [["He's My Man") was the best song on an album that had several great songs.

There is a list of all the #1 disco songs, sometimes a whole album was #1.........like The Boss.

It was just club play.

And no He's My Man on the list.

There is a list of all the #1 disco songs, sometimes a whole album was #1.........like The Boss.

It was just club play.

And no He's My Man on the list.
    Despite the long delay, The Supremes' first single, "He's My Man", became a #1 single on the Billboard Disco charts in 1975. The song "It's All Been Said Before" was originally chosen as the first single, and assigned a release number by Motown, but was withdrawn at the last minute, and replaced by "He's My Man".

I don't know what list you are on probably your looking in the Hot Club Dance list, the disco list i remember was a regional list of top selling disco hits across the country and He's My Man was #1 on several of those list because I was a Billboard scanner in the mid 70's

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    ...I was a Billboard scanner in the mid 70's
    I never heard that term. This was before Soundscan. Is a Billboard scanner someone who takes all the sales charts proviced by Billboard Reporters and scans them into some system? I always wondered how the info was compiled.

He's My Man did very well in NYC clubs and sold well in some stores that catered to the disco crowd. But I honestly don't remember hearing it that much on radio

Something has changed with Billboard because i remember The Supremes album Mary Scherrie Susaye was on the Billboard disco charts,and the list would be different cities,and it would be the whole album,i remember that like it was yesterday.
    Please stay positive

After hearing every song on that album multiple times since 1975, this was the correct lead single. It had "a punch" and Mary sounded superb in duet with Scherrie Payne. LOL!

I do agree with Marv on that one...I think "He's My Man" was a great lead off single to what was really a new group. I think Suzanne dePasse was once quoted as saying that in spite of the fact that the latter day Supremes never lacked in talent, every group eventually runs its course in terms of popularity and buzz, and the Supremes just couldn't create interest as they had earlier with Diane, or even Jean.

We can always argue about which songs should or shouldn't have been hits, did they or did they not lack proper promotion, but to me, being a big fan of the MSS combination, I love the music today just as much as I did then and I like to think about it in terms of its musicality or longevity, meaning whether it sounds dated or not. I think the MSS albums hold up way better than most disco or dance albums of the era, including most of Donna Summer's which were obviously much more popular. Of course, it would have been great if they could have kept selling records as they had earlier, but it in no way affects my love of the music.

One funny thing I just recalled. When the "Supremes 75" album came out, I was working as a waiter in a bar in a college town. I used to take records to work every day for the bartender to play during my shift. This one was often in the stack, so, well, I know from personal experience that this LP got a lot of play in East Lansing, Michigan! I think some of the others I used to take in a lot to play were Yvonne Fair's "The Bitch is Black," the Marvelettes "Anthology", "A Collection of 16 Big Hits Vol. 2", and the Supremes "Anthology" as well.
    Last edited by kenneth; 05-10-2013 at 09:27 PM.

You got that right Marv! Do you think it was adequtely promoted?

You got that right Marv! Do you think it was adequtely promoted?
    Uh, there was no way in Hell that album was promoted adequately by the company!LOL!!!! I can tell you that as a fact! There were very, very few copies available in record stores at the time. I found my copy in a music store that sold sheet music, instruments oh and some records.. .Seligman Bro's records in Toledo at the time.

There was one print ad I can remember showing the album jacket and print that said something to the effect that "The Supremes are back in fashion" or are always in fashion. Some trite sounding stuff that said nothing about the music or the album. Years later i heard a brief taped radio spot about the album that was sent to me by a friend in Pittsburgh.

I heard "He's My Man" on the radio 2 maybe 3 times towards the end of the summer of 1975. The only other single from the album I heard on the radio was "Where Do I Go From Hear" and they played that only once on the day after Florence Ballard passed as some type of tribute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvTqSxwwlAk Johnny and the crowd loves them and Cindy sings a brief solo part at the end. Hes My Man. Seems to be in a lower key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvTqSxwwlAk Johnny and the crowd loves them and Cindy sings a brief solo part at the end. Hes My Man. Seems to be in a lower key.
    I remember that show. Those three looked so good together on stage. They were sharp, professional, sexy and they could SANG!

Wow, what a great clip. Different look for Mary in terms of her hair especially. This must have been right after she gave birth to her child, as she was pregnant when the album cover photos were done.

Sad to say Motown did not push He's My Man at all,The Supremes did all they could do,to push it,they[[Mary Cindy Scherrie)were on tv all the time,but Motown wouldn't help them,at all,and that's the truth.
    Please stay positive