[REMOVE ADS]

Classic Tracks: Madonna - Like A Virgin

Great reading! I never realized that Tony Thompson was such a hard drummer!

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep0...racks_0907.htm

Tony is on other tracks on the LP except for "Into The Groove" which was produced by Steve Bray and added to side two of album pressings mid '85....

I like Steve Bray's work with The Breakfast Club.

Steve is great hes got a natural talent for composing a pop tune..Its a pity Madonna kicked him to the curb so long ago

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Tony is on other tracks on the LP except for "Into The Groove" which was produced by Steve Bray and added to side two of album pressings mid '85....
    Question: did this happen in the U.K. or in the states? I never heard of it. Besides, late 1984 is when I switched to the CD format. If it happened, it never happened on CD, nor did the recent remaster include "Into The Groove".

BTW, Nile Rodgers produced the "Like A Virgin" album. She picked Bray to produce the next album "True Blue". I know you knew that, just sayin'...

I was in Liverpool when Into the Groove was added to Like A Virgin..and I have German and Australian pressings of the cd and its on them..dont know about The US pressings though I always assumed it was added..Madonna split the producing duties for True Blue between Bray and new collaborator Pat Leonard..she liked to keep them both on their toes and split the producing task..she did the same thing for Whos That Girl soundtrack but by 89s Like A Prayer LP Leonard was more in favour than Bray,Only two of his tracks made the cut..she shelved "Love Attack" and "First Is A Kiss" and theyve never seen the light of day..by 1990's Im Breathless LP Bray was dropped never to work with her again..

I was in Liverpool when Into the Groove was added to Like A Virgin..and I have German and Australian pressings of the cd and its on them..dont know about The US pressings though I always assumed it was added..Madonna split the producing duties for True Blue between Bray and new collaborator Pat Leonard..she liked to keep them both on their toes and split the producing task..she did the same thing for Whos That Girl soundtrack but by 89s Like A Prayer LP Leonard was more in favour than Bray,Only two of his tracks made the cut..she shelved "Love Attack" and "First Is A Kiss" and theyve never seen the light of day..by 1990's Im Breathless LP Bray was dropped never to work with her again..

OK. Sire Records, her record company, did not add "Into The Groove" to her album in the U.S. here, it was only issued as a 12" single first, then on the B-side of another single.

And, I made an error before. "True Blue" was produced by Pat Leonard, not Stephen Bray.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    OK. Sire Records, her record company, did not add "Into The Groove" to her album in the U.S. here, it was only issued as a 12" single first, then on the B-side of another single.

And, I made an error before. "True Blue" was produced by Pat Leonard, not Stephen Bray.
    Actually some of the songs on True Blue were produced by Leonard and Madonna, others by Bray and Madonna, and one song was produced by Bray, Leonard and Madonna.

smark21 Guest
    Also, several of the songs on Like a Virgin, including the title track, Material Girl and Love Don't Live Here Anymore, were played by Chic--Edwards, Rodgers and Thompson.

"Into the Groove" appeared on the US "12 of "Angel" and gained considerably more airplay than the A side,Why Warners didnt push it as a single in the US is a mystery..the video was receiving heavy airplay on MTV and topped the UK chart for four weeks..

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Also, several of the songs on Like a Virgin, including the title track, Material Girl and Love Don't Live Here Anymore, were played by Chic--Edwards, Rodgers and Thompson.
    That's correct! Don't forget Ray Schwartz.

The rest were done with mainly Jimmy Bowler, Nile's right-hand man in the 80s.

"Into the Groove" appeared on the US "12 of "Angel" and gained considerably more airplay than the A side,Why Warners didnt push it as a single in the US is a mystery..the video was receiving heavy airplay on MTV and topped the UK chart for four weeks..
    But, "Crazy For You" was pushed as a single on the Geffen Label.

thats because when Warners said "No" to a release of "Crazy For You" fearing it would affect sales of Like A Virgin LP,Movie producer Jon Gould stormed into Warners office and jumped across a desk and tried to strangle an executive..Warners UK later in '85 released "Gambler" as well and it climbed to No.4...

thats because when Warners said "No" to a release of "Crazy For You" fearing it would affect sales of Like A Virgin LP,Movie producer Jon Gould stormed into Warners office and jumped across a desk and tried to strangle an executive..Warners UK later in '85 released "Gambler" as well and it climbed to No.4...
    I had a disagreement about Gambler" being a worthy single. I felt it was too rock for where Madonna wanted her career to go. It was released as a single everywhere except in the states.

Funny thing, both Geffen and Sire were distributed by WEA in the 80s.