[REMOVE ADS]

Tammi Has Arrived!

I received my Tammi Terrell 2-CD set today. The packaging and booklet ate extremely attractive -- possibly the "best" that Hip-O has produced yet. Lots of new pictures and a lengthy text! Of course, we already knew the track listing, so that's no surprise. Now it's time to listen!

My copy [[just) arrived as well. It's a beautiful package and the booklet is great. A worthy tribute to a lovely young lady and a very fine singer. And it's finally here! Thanks to Harry Weinger and everyone else involved in making this project happen.
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 10-13-2010 at 02:35 AM.

Where are you both at? Who did you order from?

I'm in San Diego and I ordered it on the Hip-O Select web site. Cost more but you get it [[in this case) a week before general release, which in this case was worth it to me because I'm a big fan. And frankly I thought the odds of getting a project like this done were not that good. From head to toe this set is very well done. From packaging to sound everything is done first class and with great respect for Tammi. The booklet is among the best I've seen, and recording information is provided. The live material kicked my butt! This set lives up to the hype.

East Coast ... and I have always gotten my Hip-O releases directly from them; I have never had any problems and they have always been fast with good e-mail communication in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    East Coast ... and I have always gotten my Hip-O releases directly from them; I have never had any problems and they have always been fast with good e-mail communication in advance.
    I stopped ordering direct from Hip O Select a long time ago because the sets end up costing me more than they are really worth. Not only do I pay shipping, but sales tax on items if I order direct from Hio O Select because it operates a warehouse where I live. I can wait until the general release and get a better deal. But I'm glad to hear it's a quality release.

Maybe I'll get my copy today....fingers crossed. I also ordered from Hip O.

YES! Showed up in the mail. Gonna sit down, read the liner notes and enjoy some classic Motown!

I don't buy off of hip-oselect either. Although, thier catolog is one of the few that I actually purchase in CD format because of the liner notes and annotations. the TT set will be no exception. There is a music store located near campus where i've spotted several motown select items. Hopefully they'll have it in stock soon!

I ordered from Amazon U.K. at the discount price after conversion to U.S.D. of about $20. Delivery is expected as per E mail sometime after the 19th ,I'm on the east coast of the U.S.
    As Oleta Adams said ,"I dont care when you get here ,just get here when you can.". I'll post when it comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    I stopped ordering direct from Hip O Select a long time ago because the sets end up costing me more than they are really worth. Not only do I pay shipping, but sales tax on items if I order direct from Hio O Select because it operates a warehouse where I live. I can wait until the general release and get a better deal. But I'm glad to hear it's a quality release.
    An excellent set!
    Probably the best from Hip O this year. I was pleased at the sound & mastering. I heard nuances and things I'd never heard on Tammi Terrell tracks before. I was also surprised by some of the alternate vocals on several tracks I'd heard many times and the stereo mix of There Are Things is just incredible!

The Roostertail live tracks are also great, especially Tammi's medley of songs by four of her favorite singers: Dinah Washington, Aretha Franklin, Nancy Wilson and Diana Ross. Tammi managed to make the songs her own, but still did little impressions of each singer. Congrats to Harry Weinger. You outdid yourself this time.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 11-03-2010 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    The Roostertail live tracks are also great, especially Tammi's medley of songs by four of her favorite singers: Dinah Washington, Aretha Franklin, Nancy Wilson and Diana Ross. Tammi managed to make the songs her own, but still did little impressions of each singer.
    How lucky we are to have this live recording. Tammi in her prime. I would loved to have seen her perform the medley. I'm sure she had some cute theatrics to go with the vocal impressions. She was just so incredibly talented.

Like DaddyAcey I also ordered from amazon uk. $23 for Tammi and the Boat That Rocked [[Pirate Radio) Not a bad deal.

NOT looking good Again for the UK release of 22 November, I ordered another CD and DVD due for release Monday and they were both shipped Thursday late evening for Monday arrival, but all sellers in the UK even this morning are still saying waiting for stock to arrive, if it Mind Games????

Surprise! Surprise! Monday 22 November arrives and the release date in the UK has been put back another week to the 29th November, what a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Surprise! Surprise! Monday 22 November arrives and the release date in the UK has been put back another week to the 29th November, what a joke!
    Are these delays all over the UK - with all retailers? Is it not possible for UK fans to just order from a music/disc seller in the US like Dusty Groove or CD Universe? Of course, you might pay more, but you would have the Tammi Terrell set.

For me personally this is a very special CD, because most of the songs I didn´t know ecspecially the stereo versions. I notice many differences in the lyrics in oposite of the mono recordngs. I was very exciting of the two unreleased produced Ashford & Simpson tracks. It´s very amazing to hear Tammi´s voice on their and in my opinion I hear Val and Nick in the backrounds. Another cream of the crop of the songs is for me "Kissing in shadows", it proves that other male partners harmonizes with Tammi´s voice. I´m very dissapointed that we have no more duets with Johnny Bristol.
    I´m very excited about the two unreleased Chess singles by Miss Terrell, what a great pleasure, it´s a real haunting to hear her on these tracks. All the tracks of the Chess period are for me sounded very modern, simply ahead of their time. This made a real impact to make Tammi unforgatble

Are these delays all over the UK - with all retailers? Is it not possible for UK fans to just order from a music/disc seller in the US like Dusty Groove or CD Universe? Of course, you might pay more, but you would have the Tammi Terrell set.
    Wish I had done that in the first place! but if I order now from the USA, it will not arrive before?? that is IF it is released here in the UK at last next Monday.

There is, however, a significant price difference:-

Amazon US = $35.17 US which is Ł22 UK at current exchange rate.
    Amazon UK = Ł8.99 UK which is $14.37 US at current exchange rate.

Dusty Groove = $36.99 US [[Temporarily Out Of Stock) [[Ł23.13 UK)
    CD Universe = $34.95 US [[Ł21.86 UK)

Part of an email I got this evening: Hello,

Unfortunately, the release date for the item[[s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Tammi Terrell "Come On And See Me: The Complete Solo Collection"
    Estimated arrival date: December 06 2010 - December 10 2010
    Bummer. But for the price difference, I'll wait.

You are not alone ..................

Just got an email this morning from CD Universe The David & Jimmy Ruffin album instead of being on pre-order is Now Back Order!!! just another ??

I got an E mail friday that mine has been shipped from Amazon U.K. to me in the states. It also cost me $3.00 less U.S.D. ,making it about $11 U.S.D. Still waiting .

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    I got an E mail friday that mine has been shipped from Amazon U.K. to me in the states. It also cost me $3.00 less U.S.D. ,making it about $11 U.S.D. Still waiting .
    Very Happy for you DA, but I was hoping I'd receive something better than the message I just received...

Hello,

We regret to inform you that the following items have been delayed as we are still awaiting stock from our suppliers :

Tammi Terrell "Come On And See Me: The Complete Solo Collection"
    Estimated arrival date: December 13 2010 - December 24 2010

I'll remain calm and patient, but when it comes to the way this airline [[supplier) is run... Pathetic!

I got the same email. This is getting tiresome but I'll do as positivesoul said: 'calm and patient'.

I just checked my account at Amazon UK regarding the Tammi set: We are preparing these items for dispatch and this portion of your order cannot be cancelled or changed. I'll believe it after I see it has been shipped.

I just got an email that it has been shipped. Finally!

Mine has just shipped from HMV - Ł8.95 incl P&P

Mine are on the way too... gonna celebrate with a glass of champagne upon first listen!

Just got the call from home!!!!!!!
    Tammi is waiting for me to get off from work. That, some champagne and some good eats= a great Friday night

Mine arrived today. The weekend starts here...

Disc 1 loaded , let us begin.............................................

Mine was posted Tuesday HMV, no show yet [[blame the snow?) Hoping the mail man will arrive soon this Saturday morning, fingers crossed it is included in anything I receive!

I'm in the same position as you jaybs - it's like the Diana Ross song - I'm Still Waiting!

Well mine arrived today from HMV - at long last. I've yet to listen but it looks great. Looking forward especially to the live tracks.

The first disc is very nice. I had knowledge of the early recordings on Scepter and Chess ,but had never heard them. T.M. did a great job of mixing the Checker material ,in keeping that "vintage feel" of the recordings while making them souud clear and fresh. I only know of the Motown L.P. tracks in their mono form ,so I found them interesting and I think I will get deeper into them in the future , but for now I like the mono mixes better. I do love that ANMHE track though. Disc 2 , well I have heard it and I have to spend some more time with it. Quality time. The first thing I noticed was how similar Tammi and Valerie's voices were ,at certain times on Tammies solo A&S tracks. Sound wise ,IMO , Val would have sounded the same as Tammy and Marvin , if she had done the vocals instead of Tammy. The both sound equally brilliant.

Arrived at last yesterday and well worth waiting for I am on "Cloud Nine" Must say but it is just my personal preference that I like the Motown material onwards more,

Just me but I think the Motown material was of much better quality. I don't think I've heard Come On And See Me sound better than on this CD - sheer heaven and probably my fave Tammi track.

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!! My copy [[and my almost equally anxious brother's copy) just ARRIVED!!! I work usually from home so I can't pop the champagne right now as planned and I'm not patient enough to wait til the weekend before my first listen. My wife & I can't crank it up like we'd like to either, because our daughter is home studying for her last final this semester [[Oh the Irony...lol).

Still I HAD to [[quietly) play the entire 'Live' portion on my main stereo. I refuse for my first experience with the set to be through headphones, no matter how good they are. Although it's obviously meant to be best enjoyed Powerfully Loud, I'm VERY happy for the moment! The incredible packaging lives up to the pre-hype too.

Great Job to those involved!
    Last edited by positivesoul; 12-09-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo

I got it a day or two ago and have listened to most of the first disc. Listening to the early stuff was very nice but when the first Motown song came on it was a whole new feeling. And a very good one at that!

Heaven Must've Sent this collection from above. I've been enjoying it so much that it would be too exhausting for me to write an in-depth review at present. 10 stars! I've noticed that the respect level among critics for Tammi's talents has soared ever since Universal [[and maybe bootleggers) started issuing her previously unreleased treasures from the cruel vaults. Treasures that have served to confirm what so many loyalists with ears have raved about for years.

This partial review from Dusty Groove America [[dustygroove.com) sums up much of my feelings [[The all-CAPs of the G-word are mine):

"Amazing, simply amazing – the full story of Tammi Terrell's short-lived soul GENIUS– presented here in a mix of Motown recordings, and a host of much more rare sides from the 60s! The collection is a cracker from start to finish – a much-needed full-length look at this singer who's probably best known for her duets with Marvin Gaye – but who well deserves all the attention of more famous female soul stars from her generation!"

GO TAMMI!

Mine 2

CD Wow is slow but the price was right [[$17.99 US Free Shipping).

Did anyone else notice that one of the songs on CD one was redone as a song on Merry X-mas The Supremes?

Give it a listen.

Congrats to the team, the sound and package are great.

Got mine today! cant wait to get home and play it..Paulo XXX