[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Michael Buble and Naturally 7 cover Who's Lovin' You

Performance today in NYC City Subway:

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-new...213219901.html

Buble'!! ...talk about weapons of mass destruction....yuck!

Michael Buble is a Vancouver "home town boy" whose mass appeal is a mystery to me. During the 2013 Juno Awards [[Canadian version of The Grammy Awards) which he hosted, he really showed off his worst side. At least here on "Who's Lovin' You," Naturally 7 are making him work to a higher level than he usually "auto pilots" on. While Anne Murray was vocally bland to my ears, on a CBC special some years back, her duet with The Spinners hinted at the soulful fire she kept hidden. k d lang finally got honoured by being inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame. She's got a magnificent voice which excelled at jazz, but imagine what she could do with her vocal instrument recording some soul music sides.
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 04-25-2013 at 10:08 PM.

I really like Buble a lot, but think his newest album very uninspired. He is definitely not an R&B singer and the arrangements force him into an area where he's shouting lyrics rather than crooning them. I posted a review on Amazon and mentioned the two songs with Motown lineages, and that "Who's Loving You" was done far better by Michael Jackson on the first Jackson 5 LP. I like the choice of songs on the Buble LP but think they're all over arranged and he's singing out of his comfort zone.

thomas96 Guest
    Who is this Michael Buble? He was pretty good in that video.

Kenneth, I'm curious which version of "Who's Loving You" you think is the best. Michael's?
    Last edited by thomas96; 04-26-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Well, in case no one [[except Kenneth) noticed, Buble's new CD is titled "To Be Loved"... the title track is indeed the Berry Gordy, Gwen Gordy song from the early 1960s and was also the title of BG's autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Who is this Michael Buble? He was pretty damn good in that video.

Kenneth, I'm curious which version of "Who's Loving You" you think is the best. Michael's?
    I really do love Jackson's version. I think it's amazing the soul he put into it, what was he maybe 10 at the time? Smokey Robinson's is of course more raw and actually, more innocent sounding, oddly, to me. I like both but I think I have to give the nod to the Jackson version!

Buble is a Canadian singer who has been most popular singing Sinatra type songs. He's a great singer actually, but I think that album is a misfire.

Check out his version of "Cry Me a River" on YouTube, it's really awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yopNkcDzQQw

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I really do love Jackson's version. I think it's amazing the soul he put into it, what was he maybe 10 at the time? Smokey Robinson's is of course more raw and actually, more innocent sounding, oddly, to me. I like both but I think I have to give the nod to the Jackson version!

Buble is a Canadian singer who has been most popular singing Sinatra type songs. He's a great singer actually, but I think that album is a misfire.

Check out his version of "Cry Me a River" on YouTube, it's really awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yopNkcDzQQw
    I'm absolutely torn between the Tempations' and Jackson 5's. Michael and David both just put so much into it, it's amazing.
    Thanks for that info, I'll have to check him out.

Amazing that two of the biggest artists of our time are from Canada ~ Buble & Beiber.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Amazing that two of the biggest artists of our time are from Canada ~ Buble & Beiber.
    I'll TRY to forgive you for that...but it won't be easy.

I like Michael Buble. I have his Christmas CD.

smark21 Guest
    I enjoy Buble's cover of Nina Simone's Feeling Good:

I don't like fake wannabe Frank Sinatra type singers. If they have to sing something that is out of that box you see just had untalented they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I don't like fake wannabe Frank Sinatra type singers. If they have to sing something that is out of that box you see just had untalented they really are.
    Skool....absolutely. Buble is so derivative of Sinatra....and without the artistry...why bother with him? And Harry Connick has tons more talent.

RossHolloway Guest
    Who is this Michael Buble? He was pretty damn good in that video.

I've always like Brenda Holloway's version of Who's Loving You.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I've always like Brenda Holloway's version of Who's Loving You.
    Ooh I've never heard it! Gotta check it out. Was it released or left unreleased until recently?

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Skool....absolutely. Buble is so derivative of Sinatra....and without the artistry...why bother with him? And Harry Connick has tons more talent.
    That's interesting. I find Connick much more of a poseur than Buble. I like Buble's edginess; Connick is just too smooth.

But I usually agree with you, Johnny, so I guess I'll have to forgive you this time.

Ooh I've never heard it! Gotta check it out. Was it released or left unreleased until recently?
    I think it's on her "Every Little Bit Hurts" LP, as I recall. She does it well, in her usual sultry style.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    That's interesting. I find Connick much more of a poseur than Buble. I like Buble's edginess; Connick is just too smooth.

But I usually agree with you, Johnny, so I guess I'll have to forgive you this time.

Thank you, Kenneth!!

I have nothing against anyone being in a Sinatra mould, Michael Buble really had it in those very early albums, if he was that bad he would never have sold the millions and millions of albums he has! but sadly fame effects people and more and more Michael wanted to jump into the arena and be a Superstar rock/pop singer and for me it is just not him! this is the First album I will not buy [[and I even have the first which he released himself), Buble has now sold himself out like many R&B/Soul artists have done over the years!

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Performance today in NYC City Subway:

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-new...213219901.html
    That was pretty good.

Buble is not the "be all and end all" as a singer or entertainer, but I enjoy and much prefer him to most recent male vocalists. I like that he chose to do a couple of Motown classics and even title the new CD after one... If he introduces some of his fans to explore Motown because of it, then that is great.

The first time I heard of Buble was on some PBS Special. I didnt know who he was and I thought ok this is the Harry Connick replacement. Connick I have a lot of respect for because he was able so sing a soundtrack song and keep the Sinatra thing alive. Buble is talented but everything he sings IMO is turned into a lounge lizard fest. There are tons of good looking guys walking around like him that can sing like this he got lucky. He is not bad just not my cup of tea. Subway thing was not bad but there are much better than him around. I will say this I love Canadians they are the nicest people in the world.

this is the First album I will not buy [[and I even have the first which he released himself), Buble has now sold himself out like many R&B/Soul artists have done over the years!
    Why not buy this one? Have you heard it? I've not gotten it yet but some reviews I've read have said it's his most authentically soulful yet. I like Mr. Buble myself but to each his own.
    Last edited by ejluther; 04-28-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by motownboy View Post
    Buble is not the "be all and end all" as a singer or entertainer, but I enjoy and much prefer him to most recent male vocalists. I like that he chose to do a couple of Motown classics and even title the new CD after one... If he introduces some of his fans to explore Motown because of it, then that is great.
    Coincidentally enough, the new release by Josh Groban, who I think of in the same breath as Michael Buble, is a revival of Stevie Wonder's "I Believe [[When I Fall In Love..)".