[REMOVE ADS]

thomas96 Guest

Funk Brothers' Instruments

Does anyone know where any of the instruments are that the Funks played? I know the drums and piano are still at hitsville and Jamerson's bass is lost [[his upright I believe in Jr.'s possession), but what about all the other percussion, and the guitars, etc.? Do the musicians' families have them or if they're still alive do they? I think it'd be really interesting if somebody made a museum for the Funk Brothers in Detroit, including their instruments, and other "cool things." Or if not, the instruments belong in the R&R hall of fame.

Good point Thomas96.

I'd like to know the answer to that question myself.

BTW, those aren't the drums that were used by Benny, Uriel or Pistol. The drums that are in the studio now, reportedly belonged to Stevie Wonder. I read somewhere that the actual drums used back in the day was really a mutt-set combination of Ludwig and Gretsch pieces. Maybe someone can confirm that.

The vibes that were in the studio either belonged to Jack Ashford or Hamilton Bohanon, but I could use some conformation on that too.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    BTW, those aren't the drums that were used by Benny, Uriel or Pistol. The drums that are in the studio now, reportedly belonged to Stevie Wonder. I read somewhere that the actual drums used back in the day was really a mutt-set combination of Ludwig and Gretsch pieces. Maybe someone can confirm that.
    Oh, really? I always thought they nailed Benny's kit to the floor and it's been there ever since. If it's not there, then are all the toms, snare, symbols, and kick randomly scattered or destroyed? That would be terrible.

Research the Jeff Beck/Carmine Appice Motown visit for verification of the drums not being nailed down! ;-)