[REMOVE ADS]

Thumbs up The 5th Dimension vs. The Mamas and the Papas

Since we're comparing groups, let do this one! I'm going with the 5th for starters. They're another favorite group of mine. While I like the Mamas and the Papas, the didn't have a Billy Davis, Jr. in their group to give their songs that soulful kick!

Quote Originally Posted by rta5225 View Post
    Since we're comparing groups, let do this one! I'm going with the 5th for starters. They're another favorite group of mine. While I like the Mamas and the Papas, the didn't have a Billy Davis, Jr. in their group to give their songs that soulful kick!
    The Fifth Dimension, no contest.

I always throught that Mama Cass had one of the most genuine voices in all of pop/rock music. As a group though, the 5th was much better with a much more significant string of hits and longevity. True...Billy Davis Jr is a greatly underrated singer.

Both are great but the 5th hands down, they also had such great diversity of material on their albums. It used to amuse me that I could always sell a 5D best of just by playing it overhead when I ran an FYE no matter the time of day or age of people in the store. I usually got some comment like "I forgot how many hits they had" or "I used to love them."

Just to balance the argument a bit, the 5th Dimension had hits covering others songs; Laura Nyro, Jimmy Webb, Burt Bacharach as well as John Phillips. The Laura Nyro and Mama's and Papa's covers had very similar arrangements to the originals.

The Mama's and the Papa's hits were mostly John Phillip's originals.

Just something more to consider.

Marilyn McCoo vs. Michelle Phillips? Toss-up! But Marilyn could sing.

I get more enjoyment from listening to the Fifth Dimension.

Both great again!

The Mamas and Papas had one of the best voices around in Mama Cass. I don't think the Fifth Dimension had as strong a voice as that in Marilyn McCoo although she was superb.

I love both these group.s

Both used the same session men and women. The grouping that became known as the wrecking crew. Different producers of course.

The main difference is that the Fifth were more soulful and the Mamas & Papas were folksy. I think the Fifth had more interesting arrangements too.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    The main difference is that the Fifth were more soulful and the Mamas & Papas were folksy. I think the Fifth had more interesting arrangements too.
    I agree. The Fifth Dimension had genius music & vocal arrangers llike Rene DeKnight and Bob Alcivor. The Fifth could sing jazz and vocalese. They stretched themselves. The Mamas & papas were folkies. Their harmony was good, but they could never do the kinds of progressive things the Fifth Dimension were doing. Plus, the Mamas & Papas did not have Billy Davis Jr. The man is an underated soul singer.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 10-13-2010 at 04:41 PM.

When I saw the topic I was like hmmm but on second thought this is a good comparison. I just watched Mama Cass on a Andy Williams show dvd a day or two ago. She did indeed have a fine voice and a charming personality. I'd have to take the 5th here though. Love those old variety shows from the 60's & 70's [[especially with the original commercials).

Not to change the thread but also on that disc is Ray and The Raylettes and some black musicians that must have come with Ray. I couldn't help but wondering which one was Fat Head and which of the Rayletts had the affair with Ray?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    When I saw the topic I was like hmmm but on second thought this is a good comparison. I just watched Mama Cass on a Andy Williams show dvd a day or two ago. She did indeed have a fine voice and a charming personality. I'd have to take the 5th here though. Love those old variety shows from the 60's & 70's [[especially with the original commercials).

Not to change the thread but also on that disc is Ray and The Raylettes and some black musicians that must have come with Ray. I couldn't help but wondering which one was Fat Head and which of the Rayletts had the affair with Ray?
    Which Raylett didn't have an affair with Ray Charles?

Dr. Mabel John.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    I agree. The Fifth Dimension had genius music & vocal arrangers llike Rene DeKnight and Bob Alcivor. The Fifth could sing jazz and vocalese. They stretched themselves. The Mamas & papas were folkies. Their harmony was good, but they could never do the kinds of progressive things the Fifth Dimension were doing. Plus, the Mamas & Papas did not have Billy Davis Jr. The man is an underated soul singer.
    Oh, I disagree with that, they did many progressive things. and you had the advantage of them writing the majority of their own material, and arranging the vocals of their own material. Truth be told, they were equally matched, really. I've heard some criticize Marilyn saying that she sang like a white woman dipped in chocolate [[this isn't my opinion, of course, I LOVE her):

So to throw a curve into the whole thing, would you consider Spanky and Our Gang something of a cross between the Mamas And The Papas and The Fifth Dimension? Tight harmonies, and the ability to sing rock, folk, or swing with four leads....

They've been compared to the M's & P's, but artisticaly, they're a better group.

Spanky and our Gang is a pretty good group!! Of course, when it comes to mixed harmony groups, my favorite is still :

Agree with Jill. The 5th to me had no real identity. Hits but all over the map musically. Id take Spanky over all of em.

y
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Agree with Jill. The 5th to me had no real identity. Hits but all over the map musically. Id take Spanky over all of em.
    Spanky & Our Gang were really just a glorified jug or folk group from the Midwest. They were OK, but not on the same level as the Fifth Dimension or The Mamas & Papas. Versatility was the Fifth's calling card...that was their strength. They could and did sing everything. Marilyn McCoo sang like herself. What is this singing like a white woman nonsense?