[REMOVE ADS]

FIND THEATER IN YOUR AREA
    Select Your City BostonChicagoLas VegasLondonLos AngelesMiamiNew YorkPhiladelphiaSan FranciscoSeattleWashington, D.C. ---------------------- All Cities SEARCH
    BROADWAYOFF-BROADWAYDISCOUNT TICKETSNEWS AND REVIEWSVIDEOGOLD CLUBMORE
    THEATER NEWSREVIEWSPHOTOSTMU: STUDENT BLOGTM MAGAZINE
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LIST YOUR SHOW!
    Senator Kirsten Gillibrand Chats with Ho... Flashback Friday: Diana Ross' Uncovered Broadway Demo Reel
    Before Berry Gordy made her a Broadway star, Diana Ross had a secret yen for the Great White Way.
    By Hayley Levitt • Apr 19, 2013 • New York City
    Diana Ross performing her Leading Lady Medley
    Ah, to be a leading lady in a great big Broadway show…

That's all Motown superstar Diana Ross has ever wanted. But alas — save a brief concert engagement at The Palace Theatre in 1976 and Valisia LeKae's impeccable impersonation on display eight times a week at the Lunt-Fontanne, Diana Ross has never made it to the Broadway stage.

She did, however, offer up this wistful montage where she makes all of her leading-lady dreams come true, channeling the likes of Nellie Forbush, Annie Oakley, Eliza Doolittle, Fanny Brice….the list goes on...on a TV special in 1969. In true Ross-ian fashion, she maintains the same expressionless glare as she jumps from character to character, dressed in everything from a labyrinthine boa to a fully skinned cow.

Who knows, if she had only produced this video a few years earlier, Barbra Streisand might have been out of a job.

I wish Dr martha Reeves had done this instead of Diane Ross. No offense to Diane but Marthas got the more Broadway style vocal chops imo.

Roberta

...seriously???......ha!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    ...seriously???......ha!!
    yes dear seriously.

Roberta

I've been a life long fan of Martha Reeves, but for this type of material, filled with pause, drama and nuance, Martha's vocal is just too loud and brassy, she's not a vocal dramatist like Miss Ross, which is why there was never a Reeves 'standards' or show tunes album,when she was with Motown or afterwards..but I admire your passion and devotion to her.. I play the heck out of my new "50th Anniversary" collection..

supremester Guest
    I agree. I love Martha and also play my 50th set a lot, but I don't want to hear Martha doing this kind of material. The Leading Lady medley is mong my fave Ross recordings ever ever EVER. although the video is so poorly staged, lit and directed that I seriously cannot watch it. I just listen and imagine what could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I've been a life long fan of Martha Reeves, but for this type of material, filled with pause, drama and nuance, Martha's vocal is just too loud and brassy, she's not a vocal dramatist like Miss Ross, which is why there was never a Reeves 'standards' or show tunes album,when she was with Motown or afterwards..but I admire your passion and devotion to her.. I play the heck out of my new "50th Anniversary" collection..

supremester Guest
    Robert - as a Martha lover, is there a CD with the alternate ending of I Should Be Proud? in mono?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    yes dear seriously.

Roberta

You guys are making me think I should invest in Martha's 50th Anniversary. I have her Anthology and Live Wire, that Motown collection but I imagine the 50th Anniversary Collection is better???

I'm surprised at how good Diana's medley here is; she was just a kid when it was done and had surprising presence.

The memory is a funny thing. I remember the entire medley being a fantastic display and Diana's vocals were just terrific [[in fact, still are terrific). But watching it now, I'm surprised at how staid the medley seems. Why do I remember it having a bit more dance and movement? Oh, well. The medley is still well put together and she sings it with great panache.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    she was just a kid when it was done and had surprising presence.
    I wouldn't say that at age 25 she was just a kid - far from it. Many people have served in the army for many years by the age of 25.

I do like the performance though - and whilst I'm not one for buying live LP, the 'On Broadway' [[never released in the UK) has to be one of the best 'live' records I've ever heard [[and bought). I assume that the 'On Broadway' record was shown on TV in north America - perhaps one day we will also be able to see it over here too.

After watching this clip, I can see how Diana evolved into Mahogany [[outfits), "everything is everything" [[one clip reminds me of the cover for that LP). However, I do think she is at her most attractive when she's wearing the afro wig. I always loved that style.

GH - I believe the costume you refer to in the show and the one on the album cover are one and the same--minus the oversized cape.

EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING:

http://www.stonewallvets.org/images/...Everything.jpg

G.I.T. ON B'WAY:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CNPZ0JYfo5...ana-ross-1.jpg

P.S.

But little did we know that a show wig would continue to this day!

http://worldofwonder.net/wp-content/...oss-garden.png

The ''Leadin Lady Medley'' is still one of my favorite all time appearance of Diana Ross on TV, [[G.I.T. On Broaway). I also had the chance to see her performing it ''Live'' in her 1st week engagement as a solo artist in a small town, Farmingham, Mass. [[The Monticello Club), in late february or beginning of March 1970, before her big break on the big Market.

Will always cherish that moment, but the song that she did that night that I will always remember, that is included in the Farewell Album, it's '' Didn't We'', she was fantastic, I knew right then that her solo career was safe, lol.

Her "Mame" is killer. They should have cast her as Mame in a remake. She would have slayed it!!