[REMOVE ADS]

Chuck Rainey Hits Chicago

Legendary studio bassist, Chuck Rainey graciously dropped into Chicago this weekend for a clinic and some exclusive private lessons. The clinic was sponsored by The Music Garage and [[ta da!), The Chicago Rhythm Collective and Chuck's many endorcees.

For you younger folks, Chuck's stature as one of the premier studio bassist of the last 40 years is unquestioned. You'll find him on classic records by Aretha Franklin, King Curtis, Roberta Flack, Donny Hathaway, Marvin, Smokey, Diana, Quincy Jones and of course, Steely Dan, just to name a few. Check him out here: http://www.chuckrainey.com/

The Friday night clinic was full of great stories about iconic songs, legendary performers, struggling to pay the rent in New York and many sidesteps into the fine minutia mostly musicians and historians love. Of course, Chuck played live for us bass lines that are almost apart of our DNA as his.

Chuck played and answered questions for the better part of 3 hours before we ended the formal proceedings and invited everyone in attendance [[about 65 musicians) to just hang out. Those who chose to stay were rewarded with a surprise visit from jazz bassist, Christian McBride who had just finished up a gig with Chick Corea and Brian Blade at Symphony Center. That started a whole new round of talk that lasted until the wee hours.

Chuck spent all day Saturday teaching. A rare treat for musicians of any level because Rainey can break down music like a real master should. A splendid time was had by all. More visits by great musicians will be following soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

That's amazing, Chi. Wish I could've been there. Chuck's looking great.

Great review of what goes on behind musicians doors.....thanks Bro.....

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Great review of what goes on behind musicians doors.....thanks Bro.....
    Recently found out Chuck Rainey and I share the same hometown, Youngstown, Ohio.

That must have been a real musical treat. Chuck Rainey is one of the true greats who seriously understands bass.

It truly was, stubass. All I had to do was mention, Rock Steady and I got a 10 minute history lesson detailing how he and Bernard Purdy started the making up the tune because they were bored and Aretha hadn't arrived at the studio on time that day. Lucky the tape was rolling.

Mr. Rainey was such a gracious guy. You could talk with him for hours and still only scratch the surface of this man's experiences.

Chidrummer, you lucky man. [[and I say that nicely, lol) I'm glad someone from Chicago ,and from SDF attended the seminar. I heard about the event a few weeks ago,but I didn't know where it was taking place. At any rate,I could only imagine what it was like. Chuck is one of my favorite bassist, and I would have loved to hear his story,and of course him playing a few classic bass lines live.

And for the lucky ones that stuck around for Christian McBride to drop by? MAN !!!!!

Great review and photos! [[ I just wished I could have been there)

Gee Man, Chuck just left town yesterday. He taught individual lessons on Saturday and Monday from 10am to 8pm on both days! Not one bassist walked away unsatisfied and Chuck's already indicated he'd like to do this again soon.

Now that we know what it takes to do this properly, there will be others [[we've got a nice little list going). We'll get better at PR as we go along and that will include you and some other media friends, so stay tuned.

Cool ! Please keep me posted. [[you know how to reach me)

Also, are you aware that Michell N'degeocello is having a seminar this Saturday afternoon from 2-4pm,at the Old Town School of Folk Music? http://www.oldtownschool.org Plus,she's doing two shows later that evening.

Again,another event that I wish I could attend.

I did see that booking some time ago, but it won't do me any good either, were in Cincinnati for the weekend. If you have the time though, I'm doing a short set with Chainsaw DuPont at Rosa's tomorrow...whoops tonight.

Have a safe trip this weekend. I'm going to have to catch you another time with Chainsaw DuPont.
    [[I'm on the air @ 'HPK tonight)