[REMOVE ADS]

The Four Seasons-vs-The Rascals

Hi this is Kev-Lo

Both of these Blue Eyed Soul 60's acts were great. Which one do you think was better.

Apples and oranges, Kevin. The 4 Seasons were more of a harmony group, the Rascals more of a "band". Besides, I like 'em both.

Its kind of UNFAIR.............. They're both from Jersey

Both great.

The 4 Seasons started out in the early sixties, the Young Rascals in the mid-sixties. In that era five years was a great musical divide.
    I like The Seasons for their nice harmonies and the Bob Gaudio/Bob Crewe productions. I wasn't too keen on their arranger Charles Callello, esp. not in their later years... too bombastic. Their Let's Hang On [[1965) sounded Motownesque. Their last album of the sixties [[Life's Genuine Imitation Gazette [[?), 1969) was good, but a commercial bomb.

The Young Rascals were exactly what their name promised. Youtful music with a different touch. T'was a Beautiful Morning... and groovin' on a Sunday afternoon... classics.

The Rascals were a soul band, The Seasons were doo wop.

Frankie Valli was on a local interview show this weekend, Center Stage w/ Michael Kay.. It was kinda funny to me; he's such a simple guy, a bit one-dimensional.. Asked about his all-time favorite movie he said, "Oh god, there's so many, it's hard to choose one, Raging Bull, Godfather, Goodfellas, so many.." Favorite actors, "Oh god, it's hard to choose, so many, Al Pacino, DeNiro, Joe Pesci...." Favorite food, "I'm a big pasta guy, love the meatballs at Patsy's on 46th St..." Etc..

The Four Seasons were better, but only slightly. They are probably one of the first artist I remember hearing on radio.

Better at what?

Better vocally in my opinion.

Not a good match-up...the Seasons are more from the doo-wop school of thought, the Rascals more blue-eyed soul. Maybe if it was the Four Seasons vs. Dion and the Belmonts or the Rascals vs. Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels, it would be a fairer battle.

Best,

Mark

Although I love both groups, I gotta go with the Rascals. I loved their soul and a lot of their obscure records had funk to it. I remember a Rolling Stone article about them called "The Blackest White Group of All." That article was very true as far as I was concerned. My favorites by them are "Love is a Beautiful Thing", "A Beautiful Morning" and "A Ray of Hope." I loved how they used to sing classic songs too, such as "Temptations 'Bout To Get Me", "More", "Since I Fell For You", "A Place in the Sun", "I Believe" [[the classic, not the one they wrote--although that's a good one too!) and "The Letter". All four of them are very talented. I loved growing up with their music.

For me, it's The [[Young) Rascals all the way! They were more soulful and could rock. And, they were a self-contained band. They wrote their own songs and played their own instruments. They could still rock hard, too.

The Four Seasons were too pop, and once Frankie Valli decided to quit using his gimmick falsetto, sounded too Vegas.

The Four Seasons may have lasted longer, but The Rascals had more quality.

imnokid,

doo-wop was once considered R&B.

Cool

I'm going with The Rascals because after hearing The Rascals' Peaceful World and Island Of Real albums i was surprised that the same group that made Good Lovin'..etc could put out music like this....

The Rascals - Visit To Mother Nature Land

The Rascals - Jungle Walk

I love the Seasons..Working My Way Back To You,Rag Doll,Lets hang On,Who Loves You..great tunes