[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves 1975 "Rainbow" LP [[aka "Dancin' In The Streets")

Hi, if anyone here is looking for Martha Reeve's rare "Rainbow" LP from 1975 [[which was re-released in 1982 as "Dancin' In The Streets") someone has a sealed copy of the vinyl on eBay for $10.00 Buy It Now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martha-Reeve...item5d3d2dc741

After searching many a year for this album, the "Dancin' in the streets" issue on Phonorama, l picked up a copy for $50.00 from www.Gemm.com , some years later on Ebay, a few sealed copies turned up and l won one for 99 cents, [[66p if my memory serves me correctly!) which l was amazed with, considering how obscure this album is.
    There is a slight [[and only slight) difference between the covers of these 2 issues l have, one being a promo and the other an issue, the colouring on the back of one of them is yellow, while it is white on the other issue.
    I have never ever come across the original issue "Rainbow", what label did it come out on and if anyone out there has a copy, would they be able to scan the cover, l would love to see it.

I have the re-release too but would love to see a scan of the original album sleeve. It's her second best album [[after the Richard Perry self-titled debut). Inconceivably it's not listed in most of her discographies, including the one in her own autobiography. Why is she ashamed of it?

I know nothing of this album. And I thought I had everything on Martha. Who produced this and why is there no pic of her on the cover?

What are the tracks on this album in case I ever see or hear of it again?

From what I understand, it was a bootleg recorded sometime in the 70's, but not "released" until 1982. That is probably why it's not listed in any of her discographies.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    From what I understand, it was a bootleg recorded sometime in the 70's, but not "released" until 1982. That is probably why it's not listed in any of her discographies.

This would have been her period with MCA. I wonder if these were outtakes from her Richard Perry lp or tracks for a second lp. Who produced this stuff?

Learning from my experience in searching for "holy grail" musical recordings, [[i.e. extremely hard to find) I have come to learn the hard way, by mostly paying a LOT of money for the elusive item, that said record is "rare" for a reason. Usually the reason is that it is not that good. While some lucky previous posters have bragged of finding this treasure for 99 cents, nobody has really gone into much detail about just exactly how good and career defining a moment these "lost" Martha Reeves vocals are. I suspect Martha has overlooked listing this set in her discography for a reason. Frankly, I'd love to have a copy myself, but only if I could find it at a bargain price. As the old saying goes, "more tears are shed over answered prayers than not."

Let me tell you, as I've already said most fans regard this as her second best album. The two Motown covers are a bit pedestrian compared to the originals, but the rest is terrific. You will be surprised how good it is. Which is why it is a mystery it is hardly known to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I know nothing of this album. And I thought I had everything on Martha. Who produced this and why is there no pic of her on the cover?
    I have the 1982 release called Dancin' In The Streets. I've looked all over the internet and have never seen a picture of an original release called Rainbow, so I don't even know if it ever actually was released in the 70's or even called Rainbow.

The style of the music fits in with the 70's solo stuff she did before the two disco albums. But then in the song "Dancing In The Street" there is one part where she says "Let's go skating," which seems like that would be referencing her song "Skating In The Streets" which is from her 1980 album Gotta Keep Moving. So it makes me wonder if maybe the album really is from 1982 and she was trying to go back to the sound she did before doing disco music.

The artwork doesn't say anything about who produced the songs, it only has the songwriters. But, I just noticed instead of "Dancing In The Street" written by William "Mickey" Stevenson & Marvin Gaye, it calls the song "Dancin' In The Streets" written by J. Lehmann & S. Lebowsky. I just researched and found out that is a totally different song done by The Ames Brothers.

Name:  100_1497.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  48.8 KB
    Name:  100_1498.jpg
Views: 2012
Size:  55.7 KB
    Last edited by Buttered Popcorn and so forth; 04-14-2013 at 02:22 PM.

I'm listening to this album again. It does sound more like the early 80s. Some of it sort of reminds me of what George Tobin did with Natalie Cole on her last Capitol album. The track CIRCLE OF LOVE song sounds like something Stephanie Mills might have done around that time.
    Last edited by reese; 04-14-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    Learning from my experience in searching for "holy grail" musical recordings, [[i.e. extremely hard to find) I have come to learn the hard way, by mostly paying a LOT of money for the elusive item, that said record is "rare" for a reason. Usually the reason is that it is not that good. While some lucky previous posters have bragged of finding this treasure for 99 cents, nobody has really gone into much detail about just exactly how good and career defining a moment these "lost" Martha Reeves vocals are. I suspect Martha has overlooked listing this set in her discography for a reason. Frankly, I'd love to have a copy myself, but only if I could find it at a bargain price. As the old saying goes, "more tears are shed over answered prayers than not."
    This album has appeared on Ebay a few times during the last year or so and has always been a very reasonable price. My copy was a third copy the seller had at the time, the first 2 sold and l thought as it was a sealed copy and my other copy was a VG copy, l would place a bid. Nobody else [[surprisingly) placed a bid on my copy so that is how l got it for the stating bid of 99c, keep looking on Ebay and l am sure you will get one at a bargain price.
    Just to add that here in the U.K. "Bragging" is taken like that "Boasting" or "Showing off", which l wasn't, only stating that l was lucky enough to come across this little rarity at such a bargain price.

The Dancing In The Streets is her version, not another one, must have been a mistake by person compiling the sleeve. Unless they wrote additional lyrics.

Calv1971 I bought a buy it now copy on ebay for $10 I think from the same seller,at the same time as I remeber there being on for $99c, but didn't want to risk being outbid. So I must have bought the 2nd copy! I think the seller didn't realise what he had - from the sleeve it just looks like some cheap compilation of re-recordings. But we know it is a lost treasure!

From the previous posts, it seems like this Martha Reeves recording may indeed be a treasure. And for the record, if I'd have been lucky enough to have purchased a copy for 99 cents, I'd be "bragging" about it for sure. LOL! Seriously though I have a Sony CD burning machine [[actually my 2nd as I went through one already!) which makes wonderful real time compact discs copies from vinyl. Connected to my two turntables, I also can do low tech effects with my sound mixer. If anyone would be willing to trust me with the loan of their vinyl copy of this uber rare Ms Reeves' vinyl record, I would return it with some Compact disc copies. Think it over. Or maybe there is a way you can download your copy on youtube and I can grab the sound. If it is that good, it should be shared!

Wow! I would have loved to pick up this LP. That's what I get for not checking the forum for a few days!

I've been trying to do more research based on what little information there is on the album:

"Feel Like Makin' Love" - a cover of a Roberta Flack song written by Eugene McDaniels in 1974.

"My Baby Loves Me" - a remake of Martha's own Motown song.

They list the wrong songwriter for "Hearts On Fire." There is a song called "Heart On Fire" written and performed by Eddie Schwartz, but I listened to his song and it is not the same song Martha does on the album. I can't find any information on who the real writers of the song are...

"Circle Of Love" - I found a copyright registration that says it's from 1982 and co-written by Martha Reeves with Jesse Butler.

"Be Grateful" - a cover of a gospel song by Walter Hawkins. Released on his own album in 1978.

"Dancing In The Street" - a remake of Martha's own Motown song. They made the same mistake on the label as they did with "Hearts On Fire" and credited it to someone else who had a similarly titled song: Johnny Lehmann & Stan Lebowsky who wrote a song called "Dancin' In The Streets" in 1959.

They list the wrong songwriter for "Don't You Ever Take Your Love." It should be "Don't Ever Take Your Love Away" and is written by Isaac Hayes & L.W. Jodes. Isaac Hayes and Dionne Warwick each released their own versions of the song in 1977.

"Can't Take It No More" - I found a copyright registration that says it's from 1982 and co-written by Martha Reeves with Ben Cauley. [[The label misspells his last name as Conley.)

"Light In The Long Run" - a cover of a song by Susanne Taylor. She released her version of the song in 1979.

"The Thrill Is Gone" - a cover of a song written by Roy Hawkins and Rick Darnell in 1951. B.B. King released his version of the song in 1969.

The two songs that showed up on the the copyright site must've been the only songs that weren't covers of songs already done by someone else. I don't know for sure if they are really co-written by Martha [[since the record label doesn't mention her name), but that's what it said on the copyright site.
    Last edited by Buttered Popcorn and so forth; 04-18-2013 at 07:26 AM.

While on Ebay earlier today, l noticed this album has been listed again for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Calv1971 View Post
    While on Ebay earlier today, l noticed this album has been listed again for sale.
    Darn, missed it again! Thanks anyway Calv. Fortunately a kind soul from the SDF family sent me a downloaded copy so I am enjoying the music. But of course as a collector, I have to own it so I can hold it in my hand!

Happy to report I sent an email to the seller and he had another copy, sold it to me for the same price of $10! Thanks guys for alerting me to this. I doubt I would have ever found this LP if not for the great SDF especially thanks to you Calv1971!

And I should also thank ButteredPopcornAndSoForth for highlighting that the album was on Ebay in the first place.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by kenneth; 04-27-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Kenneth - I am so pleased you managed to get a copy of this album and thank you so much for your lovely comment!
    Enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay, Kenneth, I'm glad you were able to get a copy of this hidden gem!

When I get my posting information wrong on this or any other site, I try my best to set things right asap. SDF member markdtiller was the first to reply to my original post, pointing out that Martha Reeves "Rainbow" album is considered by some fans to be her second best recording. I just received a copy today and I'm very impressed at the high sound quality, the power of Martha's voice and the strength of the song material. I am proud to be a member of this site and appreciate reading the wealth of Motown music knowledge shared here. Thank you all!

Since I was able to find a copy of this rare LP thanks to ButteredPopcorn and Calv, I wanted to report that it is a great album. I think the weakest song is the cover of "Dancin' in the Streets." I love the update of "My Baby Loves Me," but especially love "The Thrill is Gone" and "Feel Like Makin' Love." This is Martha as we don't often get to hear her, in a ballad mode when her voice was truly at its peak. I really enjoy the album and as others have stated, have to wonder why it's always been more or less under the radar in terms of the Martha discography.

Thanks again you guys, for helping me find a copy!

Another copy of this album is available now on Ebay...same seller, same price. Only $10 for a sealed copy if you "buy it now." Mine arrived quickly after I purchased from this seller and in great shape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martha-Reeve...item5d409d817c

That seller must have a box of those! At least they've been offering them at a great price.

I've seen more of these on Ebay as well. I'm sure the seller must have a box of them. I too wouldn't have known about it if it were not for the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Another copy of this album is available now on Ebay...same seller, same price. Only $10 for a sealed copy if you "buy it now." Mine arrived quickly after I purchased from this seller and in great shape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martha-Reeve...item5d409d817c
    Thanks Kenneth,
    I ended up buying this listing and am listening to it now.
    It's really quite well done and not overly produced.
    This could have been recorded here in Nashville, the record cover shows a Nashville distribution company. Mine was sealed and came from Rome, GA.
    Martha is in excellent voice throughout and her remake of "My Baby Loves Me" is excellent, it's clear she is enjoying singing it.
    A great find! Thanks!

Rob/ Nashville TN

@762rob,

I'm so glad you got a copy. I also love her later version of "My Baby Loves Me." She's in great voice on that record. Aside from the Richard Perry produced solo album, I think it's her best.

The great thing about SDF is when we can find and share this music with each other. So much more meaningful than bickering about Diane vs. Mary, or such things!

After reading so much about this "lost" album, I decided to go ahead and check into it, and as one of you said, this particular ebay seller must have a box full of them. I say that because I lost the ebay auction only to receive an e-mail telling me I had a "second chance" because the seller had a second copy. So I followed through and now have this album in my possession.

Well..............maybe I had better start with the positives.........I am a huge Martha fan. In fact back in the day, you could not have found a bigger fan than me and I eagerly awaited each and every new Martha release. I treasure them all to this day.

However.......it only took one listen for me to decide to stick this album in my record rack and hold on to it for a few years and then probably try to sell it myself on ebay. Sorry Roberta and any others who love this album, but in my opinion, it is horrendous.

The packaging is cheap, there is absolutely no information about it, no photo of Martha, and the production quality of the songs is non-existent. As soon as I saw 1982 on the jacket, I feared the worst, because I was also grossly disappointed [[back in the day I mean) with each of those two Fantasy albums.

I had loved the Richard Perry album [[who wouldn't?) and the Arista album was quite good too. But something went drastically wrong with either Martha herself or the people who guided her career between 1976 and 1978 because there was a huge drop-off in quality in those two years.

The opening track of "We Meet Again" [[Free Again) was "OK" and had its moments, but the rest of that album was weak and the entire "Gotta Keep Moving" album was ghastly. And remember this is coming from a huge fan.

So if there were albums released in 1984 and 1986, I am not sure I would want to hear about them. However, to end on a positive note, I did find her "Home to You" album from a few years ago to actually be halfway decent.

In conclusion, for my money, give me the Martha I fell in love with in the mid 60s on a desert island with enough sweet tea to last me and I will die happy! But keep your stuff from the late 70s/early 80s.

@daviddesper,

To each his own, naturally. I like the sparse arrangements on the album because you can really hear and appreciate her voice. I also appreciate the absence of any disco-related material. To me it's kind of like "Martha Reeves Uplugged."

Daviddesper
    The 1982 LP you have is a budget re-release, that's why there's no photo. The original "Rainbow" album was released in 1975. I agree with Kenneth, I like the subtle arrangements and the performances. It needs a few listens to really appreciate it. See:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...nbow-168271978

Would still love to see a the original album art.

Interesting. A 1982 "lost" album with the title of a 1975 Martha solo album...lol

I'm interested in hearing the '82 version of "My Baby Loves Me".

That would be the '75 version of "My Baby Loves Me"

^ lol okay. But it's quite confusing though.