[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    252
    Rep Power
    159

    The "Detroit Years" Poster presented at the Motown Musical to Berry Gordy

    Here's Dillon Gorman with the poster he commissioned from me. This is the only four foot long version, and he presented to Berry Gordy at the premier; and it's now framed and hanging in Berry Gordy's house.
    It's unique in that it's the only graphic to feature the artists, songwriters, producers, and musicians that made the "Detroit Years".
    Dillon will be making a smaller in size version available shortly on his site, for download.

    As you photo uplaod isn't working for me for some reason, here are the links for the photo's

    https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/p480x480/553976_10151831556577004_1942949926_n.jpg


    https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/p480x480/305964_10151831559657004_342021956_n.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,375
    Rep Power
    217
    Stone - That is a 'diamond' of a poster you've created. Truly sparkling. Wonderful!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,167
    Rep Power
    187
    That's amazing and beautifully done.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    134
    Very cool! As the Detroit years represent my Motown interest, this is right up my alley.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,172
    Rep Power
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Diamond View Post
    Here's Dillon Gorman with the poster he commissioned from me. This is the only four foot long version, and he presented to Berry Gordy at the premier; and it's now framed and hanging in Berry Gordy's house.
    It's unique in that it's the only graphic to feature the artists, songwriters, producers, and musicians that made the "Detroit Years".
    Dillon will be making a smaller in size version available shortly on his site, for download.

    As you photo uplaod isn't working for me for some reason, here are the links for the photo's

    https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/p480x480/553976_10151831556577004_1942949926_n.jpg


    https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/p480x480/305964_10151831559657004_342021956_n.jpg
    I have no knowledge of Mr. Gorman. Can you tel me what web site his forthcoming smaller version will be available at? Thank you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    252
    Rep Power
    159
    I have no knowledge of Mr. Gorman. Can you tel me what web site his forthcoming smaller version will be available at? Thank you.
    Dillon is the son of Freddy Gorman, the Motown singer/songwriter who co/wrote "Please Mr. Postman". He was also in the Originals, and Dillon tours with the group today. he's also making a documentary about the early days of Motown.
    Here's his facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/dillonfred.gorman?fref=ts

    Here's a link to his website, which has a teaser for the movie.
    http://waitaminutemrpostman-themovie.com/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    21,696
    Rep Power
    454
    Very nice.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,454
    Rep Power
    221
    Are there two groups of Supremes?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    43,221
    Rep Power
    599
    Stone Diamond, would the larger version be available for sale?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,317
    Rep Power
    172
    I would love to own this photo and hope it is available for sale, i plan to go to the show in July, I love the way the artists evolved over the years
    the two supremes groups, the two temptations groups, and the two miralces groups one lead for the 60's and one for the 70's.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    252
    Rep Power
    159
    Stone Diamond, would the larger version be available for sale?
    No it's not for sale, basically because there are too many photo's on there, and getting the rights to them all would be a nightmare.
    The 4 foot long print is a one off, and that's now Berry Gordy's.
    The normal size version is 30X 90cm, and will be available for download, once that happens I'll put a link on here for you to get.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,753
    Rep Power
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Diamond View Post
    Dillon is the son of Freddy Gorman, the Motown singer/songwriter who co/wrote "Please Mr. Postman". He was also in the Originals, and Dillon tours with the group today. he's also making a documentary about the early days of Motown.
    Here's his facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/dillonfred.gorman?fref=ts

    Here's a link to his website, which has a teaser for the movie.
    http://waitaminutemrpostman-themovie.com/
    Loved the teaser trailer. I am thrilled to learn that rights were acquired to use "Please Mr. Postman" in the movie. I know others have struggled with getting clearance for Motown songs.

    I tried the link for the Facebook page, and it wasn't working.....

    Thanks again for this great info!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    43,221
    Rep Power
    599
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Diamond View Post
    No it's not for sale, basically because there are too many photo's on there, and getting the rights to them all would be a nightmare.
    The 4 foot long print is a one off, and that's now Berry Gordy's.
    The normal size version is 30X 90cm, and will be available for download, once that happens I'll put a link on here for you to get.
    Thank you Stone Diamond

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    252
    Rep Power
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Loved the teaser trailer. I am thrilled to learn that rights were acquired to use "Please Mr. Postman" in the movie. I know others have struggled with getting clearance for Motown songs.

    I tried the link for the Facebook page, and it wasn't working.....

    Thanks again for this great info!
    I’ve tried the link to Dillon’s facebook page, and it worked for me on my laptop, so maybe it was a glitch, have another go!

    https://www.facebook.com/dillonfred.gorman?fref=ts


    In the meantime here’s the beta version, with far less acts, and only a few of the Producers, Arrangers & Musicians; plus the beta lacks a key to who is who and where.
    But when the main screen becomes available, you’ll see it.

    Name:  DETROIT YEARS - facebook cover.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  68.6 KB
    Last edited by Stone Diamond; 04-11-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: the photo covered some of the text, so I've moved it down

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    173
    Hey, I took those pictures of Dillon presenting to Mr Gordy!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    173
    Hey, I took those pictures of Dillon presenting the poster to Mr. Gordy. :-)

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    43,221
    Rep Power
    599
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Andy View Post
    Hey, I took those pictures of Dillon presenting to Mr Gordy!
    Hey Andy. Was Mr. Gordy suprised when he received it?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    252
    Rep Power
    159
    [QUOTE=Motown Andy;159852]Hey, I took those pictures of Dillon presenting the poster to Mr. Gordy. :-)[/QUOTE

    Dillon said Mr. Gordy had a tear in his eye as he was looking at all the faces. A very emotional moment, as they talked about Dillon's Dad Freddie Gorman; who actually used to be Mr. Gordy's postman before he started Motown.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,375
    Rep Power
    217
    Stone - The beta version is a beauty, too. In your latest photo of it, I can see DMF, JMC, & MSS, too. You've taken something very familiar and Captured something new and joyous and quite wonderful. This time, the Hunter is at the top of his Game.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    252
    Rep Power
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Stone - The beta version is a beauty, too. In your latest photo of it, I can see DMF, JMC, & MSS, too. You've taken something very familiar and Captured something new and joyous and quite wonderful. This time, the Hunter is at the top of his Game.
    When you see the finished screen you'll have a hay day picking out faces, but for the ones you don't recognise there is a key.
    It took 3 months to track down the photos of the lesser known acts, mask them out and put it together.
    And the reaction of Mr. Gordy when he saw it, makes it all worth while. It's nice to have the chance to give something back, after all the years of pleasure that Motown has given me.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,753
    Rep Power
    381
    Dillon will be making a smaller in size version available shortly on his site, for download.

    Please let us know when this is available for download. Thanks!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    252
    Rep Power
    159
    I've put the smaller size version [[it's two feet wide), up on the site today.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,256
    Rep Power
    185
    Great work here.
    I really like it

    edafan

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.