[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1877 grand piano returning to Hitsville today [[4/1/13)

That was very kind and generous of Sir Paul to do this.

The piano is back where it belong. This is real happy news.

Roberta

More on the piano plus good info on Golden World/Studio B:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

smark21 Guest
    I wonder how Mirage feels about this?

Wonderful of Sir Paul to do that. What was Gordy's contribution?

Well done, Sir Paul.

Now if we can just get a descent set of drums in there [[sorry Stevie), rework the studio wiring and electrical circuits, install some new outboard gear, get some great microphones and Pro Tools HDX2 we could re-open for business.

Beatle’s Pennies Paid for Piano’s Restoration-BB contributed his smile

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I wonder how Mirage feels about this?
    BB’s contribution to repairing the secondary studio piano was in his ability to swagger past this same Steinway at the Hitsville Museum for decades without ever offering or contributing a penny for its restoration.

Sir Paul, saw it only once, offered to fully restore the Steinway for Motown fans and the musicians/artists that used to create magic with it. He never knew that the original number one Studio Steinway was relocated to BB’s LA abode. But, Sir Paul, still came through for Detroit, music and Motown fans. Great guy! Great press!

BB then used Sir Paul’s generosity to create PR for his Motown: The Musical in NYC. The Museum coffers allegedly benefited from BB’s “paid for by sponsors” NYC $10,000 a pop piano gathering. For some reason the nonprofit “Mouseketeer” Museum refuses to reveal the funds raised in NYC. And Detroit … well it was supposed to have a fundraising gala when the Steinway finally returned. Instead, Detroiters and tourists will get a glimpse of it on Ester Gordy Day … for free. No one has to spend a penny for admission.

So, what did BB contribute toward the restoration of the second tiered Motown studio Steinway … “Absolutely Nothing”.

Mirage,
    Don't be too hard on my old boss. It is entirely possible that, since the studio was simply for show by this time, Berry never gave much thought to repairing window dressing. McCartney's generous contribution to the Museum may have been more for homage than anything since the Beatles were unabashed Motown lovers. At any rate, no matter what your feeling regarding the matter, I wish you would demonstrate a little more respect for the man whose efforts resulted in forums such as this. His name is Berry, or maybe even Mr. Gordy to you. BB is a little disrespectful.
    Last edited by ralpht; 04-06-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Right On, Mirage!

Oh brother,,,....You too, jtf??

Ralph:
    You are really wrong and out of line on this one.
    I thought this Forum encourages differing viewpoints and opinions?
    If it doesn't, stop calling it a Forum.
    Maybe Ralph's Way or No Way might be more appropriate?
    Al

Al,
    You know me better than that. I could have deleted the post if I was running some sort of monarchy. Opinions are encouraged here, but only in a respectful way.

And to be completyely honest, Al, I can't believe you wrote the above. You, more than any of us Motown alumni, were there first. I'm sure you have a level of respect for Berry's Motown that surpasses any on this forum.

That post of Mirage's doesn't look too bad on its own. You need to take his previous posts into account to put it in the right context.

I did read it through, 144. It seems to me that refering to Mr.Gordy as BB goes a little too far in the disrespect column.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Mirage,
    Don't be too hard on my old boss. It is entirely possible that, since the studio was simply for show by this time, Berry never gave much thought to repairing window dressing. McCartney's generous contribution to the Museum may have been more for homage than anything since the Beatles were unabashed Motown lovers. At any rate, no matter what your feeling regarding the matter, I wish you would demonstrate a little more respect for the man whose efforts resulted in forums such as this. His name is Berry, or maybe even Mr. Gordy to you. BB is a little disrespectful.
    Right on Ralph you are correct Mr. Gordy gave us Motown and all the music that came out of Motown and I will always be real grateful to Mr Gordy for that. We have no idea how much money Mr Gordy give PRIVATELY to charities and im sure he does. The man deserve our respect and he has my respect and admiration until eternity.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

I did read it through, 144. It seems to me that refering to Mr.Gordy as BB goes a little too far in the disrespect column.
    Mirage has a lot of anger and rersentment against Mr Gordy and I find his posts confusing and insulting and very disrespectful to Mr Berry Gordy.

Mr Berry Gordy deserves our respect and i got his back along with you dear Ralph..

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by stalebagel View Post
    Ralph:
    You are really wrong and out of line on this one.
    I thought this Forum encourages differing viewpoints and opinions?
    If it doesn't, stop calling it a Forum.
    Maybe Ralph's Way or No Way might be more appropriate?
    Al
    Mirages opinions are real insulting to Mr Gordy and insulting to some of us members Mr Abrams. Every time he post hes insulting Mr Gordy.

Roberta

I meant that comment for Mr Abram's benefit.

Mirage refers to Mr Gordy as BB most of the time. I originally thought it was a typo for BG, but I don't actually know what it means.

I would even have a slight problem with mirage refering to Berry as BG. Is Mr. Gordy too hard to type?

Ralph:
    My comment was not made to defend anything someone posted. It was to legitimately question what I believe is a function of a moderator. You were only referencing the usage of "Broadway Berry" in the post. As a journalist, author and publicist, I think it is clever. Maybe I'll even use it for the biography of Berry I still intend to write some day.
    I've seen far worse in terms of derogatory remarks made about others -- including Forum members -- that you have let pass in this Forum. If you're going to have a democratic rule, enforce it equally.
    One doesn't have to agree with a posting to argue the defense of free speech here. I would never call any of our original Motowners "losers" as another regular poster always seems to do without any objection on your part. I would think as a Motowner you would find that totally offensive. I don't see you jumping on his back.
    I just think BB is terribly clever and not offensive. And since this is a Forum, that is simply my opinion. Everyone has the right to disagree. That is the only issue we are talking about here, sorry Roberta.

Ralph:
    My comment was not made to defend anything someone posted. It was to legitimately question what I believe is a function of a moderator. You were only referencing the usage of "Broadway Berry" in the post. As a journalist, author and publicist, I think it is clever. Maybe I'll even use it for the biography of Berry I still intend to write some day.
    I've seen far worse in terms of derogatory remarks made about others -- including Forum members -- that you have let pass in this Forum. If you're going to have a democratic rule, enforce it equally.
    One doesn't have to agree with a posting to argue the defense of free speech here. I would never call any of our original Motowners "losers" as another regular poster always seems to do without any objection on your part. I would think as a Motowner you would find that totally offensive. I don't see you jumping on his back.
    I just think BB is terribly clever and not offensive. And since this is a Forum, that is simply my opinion. Everyone has the right to disagree. That is the only issue we are talking about here, sorry Roberta.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I meant that comment for Mr Abram's benefit.

Mirage refers to Mr Gordy as BB most of the time. I originally thought it was a typo for BG, but I don't actually know what it means.
    For decades, I have used the term BB to mean ball buster. But I think Mirage is using it to mean Broadway Berry. Nothing disrespectful about that. Just don't like the way he took over all the MOTOWN THE MUSICAL threads and turned them into discussions of Detroit .

Ralph:
    I have always referred to Berry as BG. That goes back to 1959.
    Your last posting is way out of line for a Forum moderator.
    My Webster's definition of moderator does not include dictator as an alternate term.
    Let it go.

Ralph:
    Mr Abrams every single post Mirage write is insulting to Mr Gordy. In post after post he disrespects or trashes Mr Gordy and it isnt right imo. Mr Berry Gordy and Miss Diane Ross and the first Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves and the Andantes and Miss Lynda Lawrence and Miss Sherrie Payne and miss Cindy Birdsong and Mr Smokey Robinson all deserve our respect becuase they are legends and Mr Gordys music and label gave many of us the soundtrack of our lives. its real annoying to read Mirages long winded nasty postings about Mr Gordy imo.

Best to you,

Roberta

Ralph:
    I have always referred to Berry as BG. That goes back to 1959.
    Your last posting is way out of line for a Forum moderator.
    My Webster's definition of moderator does not include dictator as an alternate term.
    Let it go.
    Mr Ralph Terrano is no dictator sir. Hes a real decent gentleman and a fair moderator imo. He also was very kind in letting you and helping you plug the book you wrote Mr Abrams.

Roberta

I understand your use of the letters, Mil, and if mirage is refering to Mr.Gordy as Broadway Berry SHE should say so. I doubt that is the case though. And even that would smack a bit of disrespectfullness

What happened to this thread?!

C'mon Al. you know me better than that. And I wish you would point out what I have let slide in the past. It has always been my intent to keep this forum civil. This is not difficult to accomplish until situations such as this arise. Then I have to remind members that we are all in the same boat here.

Roberta,
    Thank you for your support. You have always been a gem here.

Al,
    You had every right to refer to Berry as BG. You worked for the man, as did I.

Midnight,
    you're reading my mind.

Thanks to a forum member, I was told this thread had been closed. Not the case. I'm not sure how that happened, but feel free to resume the conversation.

C'mon Al. you know me better than that. And I wish you would point out what I have let slide in the past. It has always been my intent to keep this forum civil. This is not difficult to accomplish until situations such as this arise. Then I have to remind members that we are all in the same boat here.

Roberta,
    Thank you for your support. You have always been a gem here.
    Thank you for your kind words my dear Ralph you are one of lifes true gentlemen.

Affectionately yours.

Roberta

Thanks milven for explaining to me the other meaning of BB.

Roberta has it about right. Free speech is all very well, but Mirage's posts are unremittingly negative and nasty. They cumulatively carry an implied accusation of fraud, and the forum could do without the worry of being subjected to litigation owing to being the medium which publishes them.

smark21 Guest
    What do you know? A fight on this forum that has nothing to do with the Supremes. That doesn’t happen here too often. Glad things have calmed down. But why do I have a funny feeling that Stale Bagel and Mirage are one and the same? Perhaps I’m wrong, but the feeling is nagging at me.

Smark,
    I have to agree with you. There is something amiss with those two names. I'm beginning to wonder if it was Stalebagle in reality that posted.

Besides, you are right. This is probably one for the record books.

Sheesh. I've missed this forum. I've always called the moderator Mr Piranha and he hardly calls me at all.

Ahhh, but I think fondly of you, Dave.

That'll do for me, Ralph.

I am but a humble author, Dave. However I seem to have a shitload of fondness, most of which I direct at you.

Don't think it isn't well received, Ralph. You are da man. All these years and never a cross word. In all that time neither of us has seen enough money to buy one of Mr Gordy's golf balls, but we keep smiling. Other people could learn from us. Unless money is somehow important to them.

Hi Ralph
    Keep Smiling

Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    Well done, Sir Paul.

Now if we can just get a descent set of drums in there [[sorry Stevie), rework the studio wiring and electrical circuits, install some new outboard gear, get some great microphones and Pro Tools HDX2 we could re-open for business.
    Screw Pro Tools. If you wanted that authentic sound, you'f have to go analog.

Oh well, Dave. Money isn't everything. At least that is what the rich tell the poor.

I'm smiling, Captain, I'm smiling.

Hey Chi,
    I'm with Soulster on this one. I HATE PRO Tools. I've tried it but have gone back to digital tape recording.

Smark,
    I have to agree with you. There is something amiss with those two names. I'm beginning to wonder if it was Stalebagle in reality that posted.

Besides, you are right. This is probably one for the record books.
    I will only answer this inane accusation one time. I do not have multiple personalities/or aliases. I post only under my one user name. I am not Mirage ... perhaps you are? Thanks.

Maybe not, Bagle. But all of this is so unlike you. Can you understand my suspicions?

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Screw Pro Tools. If you wanted that authentic sound, you'f have to go analog.
    That's what one of my current favorite artists, Jack White, does. Stevie needs to get back to that btw... Maybe he'll get his albums done faster. *wink wink nudge nudge*