[REMOVE ADS]

Least talented singers to have hit records

Nancy Sinatra, Janet Jackson
    Not talking about novelty records like Mrs Miller or Lorne Greene!

The bottom line is not wether an artist has talent or not, but if the recording is good, fun, ect...

Hmmmm--shouldnt a singer have talent to record?

Andrea True
    Jennifer Lopez
    Cassie

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Hmmmm--shouldnt a singer have talent to record?
    That's not the reality, though.

My ultimate criteria is always if the recording moves me, not weather the artist is necessarily talented. You may be different.

For me, it's about the song and the production... and the singer comes in third. As long as they don't hit sour notes, I usually don't have a problem. Richard Harris' Macarthur Park is a perfect example. Vocally, it's not all that great, but it's done with feeling, and is a masterpiece. Janet Jackson is a perfect example. So is Paula Abdul, neither one has much of a voice. And although she's a bitch, Nancy Sinatra is not bad. I consider to be a mediocre signer with "moments" of greatness. She has a very "unique" sound which saves her... she doesn't sound like anyone else:

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    For me, it's about the song and the production... and the singer comes in third. As long as they don't hit sour notes,

It's my observation that "most" people prefer pitch-perfect singing and music, despite the constant protest against the use of auto-tune in everything these days. That the Carpenters and Def Leppard sold billions and had major hits says something.

For me, the production comes first, the song second, third vocal performance, then lyrics, in that order.

If I were to list all the singers that I consider to have no talent the SDF server would blow up so here are just a few:

James Brown
    Mariah Carey
    Celine Dion
    Garry Glitter
    Shakin' Stevens
    Rod Stewart
    Phil Collins
    Victoria Beckham
    Geri Haliwell
    Cheryl Cole
    Eminem
    Kelly Marie
    Barry Manilow
    Susan Boyle
    Fergie
    David Gray
    All winers of X Factor/American Idol

pshark Guest
    Vanity
    Britney Spears
    Lady Gaga
    David Byrne [[I really like his music though)

Only on SD!! Im just curious about peoples thoughts on not great singers who have become successful or were. Not saying they arent wonderful people or record was bad. But come on would Nancy have gotten a contract without Frank?? Janet can dance and Michaels sis.

Nancy I love, Janet I have no opinion on as I don't care for her music. It really all comes down to personal choice and what your ears tune into. I never 'got' Elvis or Cliff but I think that they have talent.

Rod Stewart
    Phil Collins
    Cheryl Cole
    Eminem
    Barry Manilow
    Susan Boyle
    Fergie
    I'm glad this is just your opinion, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by pshark View Post
    Lady Gaga
    Actually. she's a very good singer. It's just the rotten music she does.

pshark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    If I were to list all the singers that I consider to have no talent the SDF server would blow up so here are just a few:

James Brown
    Mariah Carey
    Celine Dion
    Garry Glitter
    Shakin' Stevens
    Rod Stewart
    Phil Collins
    Victoria Beckham
    Geri Haliwell
    Cheryl Cole
    Eminem
    Kelly Marie
    Barry Manilow
    Susan Boyle
    Fergie
    David Gray
    Whats your definition of talent?

Last edited by pshark; 10-08-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Only on SD!! Im just curious about peoples thoughts on not great singers who have become successful or were. Not saying they arent wonderful people or record was bad. But come on would Nancy have gotten a contract without Frank?? Janet can dance and Michaels sis.
    Now as far as Janet Jackson is concerned, I always felt she was a much better ACTRESS than a singer. And her true gift is choreography and dance. Would Nancy have gotten a contract without her father? probably not... but she's a decent singer most of the time. I'd like to know whogave ESTHER PHILLIPS a record contract. Woody woodpecker on acid, I tell you!

Both Junior Walker and Leon Russell ADMITTED that they couldn't sing...but they do other things well, so they get a pass.

I still chuckle over a local Cleveland reporter's opinion of Macy Gray's voice...'a cross between Billie Holliday and Daffy Duck'!

Best,

Mark

Mariah Carey
    I think she's pretty good

The two that always grated on my nerves the most, and for the same reason, were Kim Carnes and Bonnie Tyler. And giving the men equal time, I guess Rod Stewart would fit in there as well. How could someone come across as having a good voice if they sounded like they had a chronic cold?

Usher, Rihanna ,Toni Braxton and John Legend are just a few that I would add to the names mentioned.
    Anybody could have a hit record ,only because of the magic of the environment of the recording studio. Period.
    Chops talk , bullshii walks. By that I mean ,take for example the joke that Eddie Murphy used to say about Stevie Wonder. "You want to impress me M.F. ,then drive this car."
    Least we forget ,the Milli Vanilli incident????
    If one can blow you away live ,then you got it. And then if you've got it ,then "it" ,then breaks down to a matter of taste and expression of art. The key word in this question , is "record". A hit record is one thing ,talent is something else. It boils down to how one uses their voice as an instrument. While Jr. Walker and yes even J.B. are not "songbirds" ,the way they used their instruments and the way they used them made them unique.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    The two that always grated on my nerves the most, and for the same reason, were Kim Carnes and Bonnie Tyler. And giving the men equal time, I guess Rod Stewart would fit in there as well. How could someone come across as having a good voice if they sounded like they had a chronic cold?
    I don't mind Bonnie Tyler, but Kim Carnes sounds like she'll never get over that cold! At least Tyler can hit the notes. To this day, i'll never understand how anyone could like "Bette Davis' Eyes". It's probably the most horribly performed song ever!

And, Rod Stewart can sing despite his voice.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    Usher, Rihanna ,Toni Braxton and John Legend are just a few that I would add to the names mentioned.
    I would remove Rhianna's name. She's about as so-so a singer as, say, Mary J. Blige.

Anybody could have a hit record ,only because of the magic of the environment of the recording studio. Period.
    That may be true, but for me, the talent still takes a back seat to the music and production.

Chops talk , bullshii walks. By that I mean ,take for example the joke that Eddie Murphy used to say about Stevie Wonder. "You want to impress me M.F. ,then drive this car."
    Guess what? I read where Stevie actually did take the wheel! I forget who it was with, but it happened in Colarado.

They got a raw deal! What about C+C Music Factory? How about tons of 60s pop recordings where either the artist on the label never played or sang a note on the recordings.

If one can blow you away live ,then you got it. And then if you've got it ,then "it" ,then breaks down to a matter of taste and expression of art. The key word in this question , is "record". A hit record is one thing ,talent is something else. It boils down to how one uses their voice as an instrument. While Jr. Walker and yes even J.B. are not "songbirds" ,the way they used their instruments and the way they used them made them unique.
    You know, I always wonder about talented people who still use backing tracks, like Janet Jackson, for example. That they lip synch or used pre-recorded backing instrumentation doesn't necessarily mean they don't have the chops, it could mean that the average fan doesn't like the artists to stray too far from the recorded sound.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  21.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post

James Brown
    Mariah Carey
    Celine Dion
    Garry Glitter
    Shakin' Stevens
    Rod Stewart
    Phil Collins
    Victoria Beckham
    Geri Haliwell
    Cheryl Cole
    Eminem
    Kelly Marie
    Barry Manilow
    Susan Boyle
    Fergie
    David Gray
    I guess you've never heard the original "Please, Please,Please" or "Try Me", or most of James' Federal Records' recordings. That kid could sing. I guess if you've only heard his Polydor Funk songs, you might have a different opinion. I saw him sing "September Song" live. He did a great job. I never liked the guy, personally, and my parents said he was rude and foul-mouthed [[they had met him, personally). But, I have to admit that he could croon a tune pretty well back in the day. Anyone who says he couldn't sing must not have heard him back in his younger days.

Should I add Tina Turner: I mean it's up for debate.I guess she uses what she has,I would'nt say she's awful but Patti she's not

Once again another thread that settles nothing, advances nobody's listening experiences and only reflects personal taste. A sour grapes symphony. Yes, I too
    can think of a number of singers who hit big I have little or no use for but what does
    that earn me?
    Nothing.
    I used to take pleasure in knocking Mary J Blige for example but she's made quite a name for herself despite me, hasn't she?!...
    I will say this though, after looking at some folks lists, especially copley's, to
    say that some of these people have NO talent whatsoever is quite a stretch.
    Yea, James Brown, for example, didn't have the prettiest voice or crooning skills
    of , say Marvin Gaye or Sam Cooke, I'll concede that. But no talent?...
    You're kidding yourselves...Nobody could sustain that long and large a career without
    something, could they? Especially not in the 60's and 70's when the stage was your
    major marketplace and audiences liike those at the Apollo would let you know if you
    weren't cutting it...

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  21.1 KB

I never liked the guy, personally, and my parents said he was rude and foul-mouthed [[they had met him, personally).
    I wouldn't have ever wanted to be around him, though. He was a gun nut, just like Phil Spector. He once shot at Joe Tex and wound up hitting audience members. he paid them off to keep the cops away. he thought Tex was trying to mock him.

Quote Originally Posted by abfan View Post
    Should I add Tina Turner:
    No debate here! She can sing.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Once again another thread that settles nothing, advances nobody's listening experiences and only reflects personal taste. A sour grapes symphony. Yes, I too
    can think of a number of singers who hit big I have little or no use for but what does
    that earn me?
    Nothing.
    I used to take pleasure in knocking Mary J Blige for example but she's made quite a name for herself despite me, hasn't she?!...
    I will say this though, after looking at some folks lists, especially copley's, to
    Yea, James Brown, for example, didn't have the prettiest voice or crooning skills
    You're kidding yourselves...Nobody could sustain that long and large a career without
    something, could they? Especially not in the 60's and 70's when the stage was your
    major marketplace and audiences liike those at the Apollo would let you know if you
    weren't cutting it...

Well, I don't know if this thread has to settle anything. It's just opinions and debate.

Talent is sure good to have for a long, successful career, but not a prerequisite. A lot of talentless people have managed to sell billions of records and sustain a long career. Blame that on the fans. Like I said, for me, a good production and good music overrides actual talent.

that earn me?
    Nothing.
    weren't cutting it...
    I agree. It's a matter of personal choice and how you define talent. Bob Dylan does not have much of a voice, but I'd never say that he doesn't know music or has no talent.

Dang, I'm disagreeing with you all over the place today, ain't I, soulster? LOL! Personally, I have to sense some real talent.
    If all I needed was good production and good backing music I'd be watching Sarah Palin sing Funkadelic if she could get
    George and Bootsy to pick the musicians and songs...

If all I needed was good production and good backing music I'd be watching Sarah Palin sing Funkadelic if she could get
    George and Bootsy to pick the musicians and songs...
    Let's not get carried away, now! When I read you post, I felt nauseated. I'm not kidding.

It all boils down to personal taste. I loved "Sylvia" in Pillow Talk.....she's not much of a singer....but, oh what fun! Janet Jackson's voice is not much more than a whisper....but, her dancing and 'presence' certainly grab your attention. Usher is totally lost on me, but, I'm sure some people enjoy him. James Brown knocked your socks off with his dancing and stage presence and the voice was certainly unique. Bob Dylan....well, that one is totally lost me. They say he's talented. His looks scare me and and his voice is even scarier. I guess talent and 'voice' is in the eye/ear of the beholder. There's something/someone out there for everyone!

With regards to Dylan...I guess his voice is definitely an acquired taste, no question, but it's his songwriting skills that make him what he is.

Best,

Mark

I just seen John Legend in concert and I have to disagree with you that guy can sing! and he's a very talented piano player/songwriter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post

John Legend is a a very good singer if not a virtuoso. He is excellent at interpreting lyrics so that you "feel it" , "get it" without him having a powerhouse voice ala Luther, Teddy or Ali-Ollie.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I wouldn't have ever wanted to be around him, though. He was a gun nut, just like Phil Spector. He once shot at Joe Tex and wound up hitting audience members. he paid them off to keep the cops away. he thought Tex was trying to mock him.
    Who are you guys talking about?

Bananarama
    jason Donovan
    Samantha fox
    La toya Jackson
    Tiffany
    Paula Abdul
    Steps
    Ms Dynamite
    Tom Waits
    Wilson Phillips
    Betty Boo

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Usher is totally lost on me,
    Usher is an exception singer! It may be his music that throws you.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Who are you guys talking about?
    Soul Brother #1...The Godfather...Mr. Dynamite...The Hardest Working Man in Show Business...James Brown!

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Wilson Phillips
    Carnie Wilson has the chops. What have you been listening to?

that Hold On song put me off them..I found it damn annoying if you say she got the chops I trust you opinion...

Thumbs down

Air Supply: Guaranteed to induce nausea and vomiting and stimulate sales of Pepto-Bismol.

The Osmonds: Minstrelsy masquerading as teen idolatry.

Cher: The aural equivalent of Saran Wrap.

I don't have intentions on changing anyones mind about any of the singers I have mentioned ,or my opinions. It's just how I feel about them and I welcome how others feel about what I feel about them ,and I'm interested on how others feel about artists that are out there. We aint here to DEFINE anything ,we are just exchanging viewpoints and having intelligent conversation. True that emotions are a part of the process ,but lets remember that we are here to agree, to disagree.
    With that said ,I agree that John Legend is a good writer ,but his voice strikes me as a bad lounge singer. Rihanna ,I just don't get any feeling from her ,material or voice wise. Usher........to me ,is one of those artists that is forced on you as being talented ,hyped to the extreme ,a poor M.J. wannabe ,and his material is crude and redundant. The fashion now days is that you are TOLD this one and that one is the cutting edge and is the hottest thing out.
    Being a member of the baby boomer generation ,I am both blessed with witnessing the best of the last 55 years of musical artists ,that have defined the state of the art and cursed with witnessing the decline/evolution of music in general in the current time period. I don't by any means consider myself an expert in the subject of music by any means ,but after living thru and hearing first hand the Bop period of Jazz ,taught to me by my father,[[Miles ,Dizzy ,Coltrane, Adderly,Tatum ,Mingus,Parker to name a few, Vaughn, Wilson ,Holiday ,Dinah, Joe Williams ,Prysock ),the Soul Music of the
    60's , [[J.B. ,Pickett ,Redding , Wilson ,Cooke ,All the Motown ,Stax artists, Mayfield etc),the Funk era [[Sly ,Clinton, Ohio Players etc), Aretha ,Chaka ,Mills, Patti ,Williams ,Ripperton ,etc), Kool and the Gang ,EWF ,Skyy ,LTD,etc, I have developed a distinct palette of what is talent and what is hype. You can't give me at this stage of listening ,chuck and tell me it's sirlion. That is the basis of my opinions and in spite of that I still try very hard to be open minded and welcome other opinions.

Lady Gaga is a very talented piano player as well. I was much impressed when I heard an acoustic performance on YouTube.

If you would care to listen to Nancy Sinatra's Friday's Child, you definitely can't say she's not a good singer. She has that infamous low alto, like Cher or Mary W... no, I better not mention her name on this forum, for peace sake.

Janet Jackson is the singing product of her time and age, the eighties/nineties of the PAST century, like Whitney, Miriah and several others.
    Lady Gaga has the future, if Amy Whinehouse doesn't make a come back, that is .
    Last edited by robbert; 10-10-2010 at 06:16 AM.

Two words

JUSTIN BIEBER!!!!

Just about everybody on radio today???