[REMOVE ADS]

pshark Guest

Lamont Dozier Imposter

This Motown fraud ain’t nothing like the real thing, baby.
    Cops heard through the grapevine that a sham songster posing as a Motown legend is conning small-business owners in San Francisco

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Wait...#ixzz11eTtap6s

topdiva1 Guest
    you could not make it up

pshark Guest
    The Thing About Lamont Dozier

Posted on October 11, 2010 by The Bay Area Brit
    One of the things about living in California is it’s easy to meet someone “famous.” A month ago I met Motown legend Lamont Dozier. He’s responsible for writing some of the greatest songs that you’ve ever sung in the shower. According to his website, he’s written songs recorded by The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, The Supremes, and The Who. He has written 54 Number 1 hits. That’s the thing about Lamont Dozier: He knows how to write a hit song.

I happened to be in a bar in the East Bay and sat next to him. He took a shine to me, so I got to hang out with him for a while. It turns out it was his birthday. Wait, Mr. Bay Area Brit, you were hanging out with Motown legend, rock and roll hall of famer, Lamont Dozier, on his birthday? Yes I was, and he was smoother than marble and cooler than, well, marble again, I guess. Anyway my point is that he was both cool and smooth.
    He had some great stories about growing up in Detroit and working with musicians who are now household names. He seemed apologetic and even hesitant to tell some of the more gossipy tales of life working with Berry Gordy and the other stars at Detroit’s famous music factory. He told me of his love for his wife, Gertie. They’ve been married for almost 50 years; he broke out into a soppy smile as he talked about her, and how much he misses her when he’s on the road. Lamont oozed charm and personality. I ate it up. Seriously, how often do you get to meet someone who helped change the course of history, musical or otherwise? That’s the thing about Lamont Dozier: he helped change musical history.
    My friend was having a CD release party at a club around the corner, and I thought, how awesome would it be if I took “the” Lamont Dozier to see his band. Who knows, maybe he might take an interest in my talented friend, and use one of his influential contacts to make something happen for him. Stranger things have happened. Time and time again you’ll hear it. “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know.” And you know what, I know Lamont Dozier, Lamont fucking Dozier! Did I mention the man is a legend? That’s the thing about Lamont fucking Dozier: he’s a legend.
    So I took Lamont to the venue. He said he couldn’t stay out too late though because he was flying to Vegas in the morning to perform with The Temptations. How cool is that?
    Lamont Dozier doesn’t like carrying cash, because he is worried someone might try to roll him. After all, he’s 70 years old. But I didn’t mind paying for him to get into the venue. I also bought him some more birthday drinks. The great man likes Brandy Separators…and boy can he drink. That’s the thing about Lamont Dozier: he likes his Brandy Separators.
    We stepped away from the show because he wanted to check out some other bars in Martinez. I had never been to the small town before and so I thought well, yeah, that’s cool. As we walked down the dimly lit streets, Lamont Dozier confided in me that he carries a gun. He patted his hip and I was kind of nervously impressed. But, I thought, it’s kind of strange that he has a gun, but yet worried about carrying cash. I mean that’s kind of weird. If you’ve got a gun, your cash should be safe, right? But that’s the thing about Lamont Dozier: he’s packing heat and he don’t carry no cash.
    Lamont Dozier kept telling me that he had a bunch of CD’s and stuff he wanted to give me: a package he said that was worth over $600. “Motown promo stuff,” he said. I can imagine if you’re one of the greatest songwriters in history, people give you a lot of stuff like that, so I said I’d be happy to take it off his hands. So I bounced around a few more bars with him, and even watched him sing some old Motown songs on a stage with a house band. The guy kicked ass. Man, even at 70, Lamont Dozier can still hold a tune. That’s the thing about Lamont Dozier: he can still hold a tune.
    After spending the best part of a hundred bucks hanging with Lamont Dozier in every “cash only” bar in Martinez [[and somehow never getting that Motown CD package) I was out of cash, and so I said goodbye to him. Although I spent some money, I knew I had a pretty good story to tell people. I was a bit disappointed that he didn’t offer to buy me at least one drink, but whatever, it was, after all, his birthday, which means he’s a Virgo. Just like me.
    I got home still reveling in my night, and thought I’d check out more online about my new best pal Lamont Dozier. I wondered which venue The Temptations were playing in Vegas. Okay, that’s weird…The Temptations are playing in Baltimore, not Vegas…and Wikipedia says that his birthday is in June not September. He’s not a Virgo; but whatever, Wikipedia is wrong all the time. Oh no, stop the presses, Lamont Dozier’s wife’s name is Barbara, not Gertie.
    Noooo!!!! This cannot be!!! That’s the thing about Lamont Dozier: He was not Lamont Dozier.
    Okay, so you know that bit at the end of “The Usual Suspects” when Chazz Palminteri slowly realizes that Kevin Spacey has been feeding him a long story of bullshit, and all this time Palminteri was in the presence of the arch super-villain Keyser Söze—well in this scenario, I was Chazz Palminteri. Except Chazzy boy wasn’t out a hundred bucks.
    I couldn’t [[and still can’t) understand why someone would impersonate a celebrity for a few free drinks. The web of lies that you’d have to build would be immense. It doesn’t seem like it would be worth the trouble. And boy howdy, wait until my buddy Lamont Dozier finds out about this…oh, wait, Lamont Dozier isn’t my buddy. That’s the thing about Lamont Dozier: He’s not my buddy.
    The link to the news article below details what the Lamont Dozier impersonator has done. It’s worth a read.
    Here’s the thing about The Bay Area Brit: I had fun. The Lamont Dozier impersonator was kind of a cool dude. Maybe when he gets out of prison, I’ll call him up and see if he wants to hang out again. But if he says yes, he’s buying the drinks.
    http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Wait...104445548.html

i
    Rate This

What a story.....once I had drinks in Schiphol Amsterdam Airport with someone who played saxophone. He said he joined Tammi Terrel on a live tour in Vietnam....I bought him a drink and he was making up more stories about his tour of Motown in Vietnam....