[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Nightflight" Tue Mar 19, 9P-12M ET:Harry Weinger LIVE/Vandellas 50th Anniversary....

Howdy there, Folks! Join me tonight as I welcome back Harry Weinger, VP of A&R at UMe, with the premiere broadcast/streaming of the yet-to-be released "Martha Reeves and the Vandellas 50th Anniversary Singles Collection 1962-1972" and the Four Tops 50th Anniversary Singles Collection 1964-1972"!
    It's always a treat to have Harry on "Nightflight" sharing stories and information about the
    newest Motown releases that he has produced and what has been going on near and around the Motown vaults....oh, how I miss those vaults! If you have any questions for Harry about the Vandellas or Tops collections, feel free to post them here.
    I want to thank Harry for his time and generosity and for letting "Nightflight" be a place to reveal these cherished Motown tracks.
    So do join Harry and me tonight...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and we are streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at
    www.womr.org
    And for tonight...please...no phone calls...I'll be chatting with you all and Harry.
    Thanks!
    John

Name:  martha-and-the-vandellas-singles-collection.jpg
Views: 2148
Size:  19.7 KB
    Name:  51C-d-QN2cL__SY300_.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  18.8 KB

John - you aren't "Johnny on the spot" for nothing! Looking forward to this evening's broadcast for sure!

I CAN Dance to that music you're playin'...

RossHolloway Guest
    Can't wait to listen and join in tonight. I'm thinking of my questions now....

Hi John & Harry!

Greetings from Sunny Hilton Head island, South Carolina where we are having a "Heat Wave" of 71 degrees today! Been on "Watch Out" for this show since Johnny made the announcement to "Come And Get These Memories" and hear "Live" the great stories from the vaults Harry always provides. Particarly can't wait to hear what "Black Magic" was involved in getting Ms. Reeves vocal back on "I Can't Dance." Everyone has to agree that Martha's vocal "Natural Resources" and the Vandellas "Sugar & Spice" on backgrounds gave us an undeniable string of classic "Greatest Hits." Looking forward to tonight's "Dance Party" with everyone! I am "Ridin' High" with anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by hwume View Post
    I CAN Dance to that music you're playin'...
    Now...I NEED to see THAT!

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Now...I NEED to see THAT!
    Skype, my darling, skype

I was Dancing In The Street and I . . . no that's no good . . . I had Nowhere To Run so I . . . no that doesn't work . . . oh heck, I'm not gonna come up with anything as good as Glenn. Dagnabit! But I will be there for the Martha Show to celebrate this important release. In fact my significant other wanted to do something else this evening and when I said I wouldn't miss Miss Martha, he threw down the gauntlet! Oh well, I'll Have To Let Him Go. LOL! Hey Mr. DJ, see you and the gang on the Radiola.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    I was Dancing In The Street and I . . . no that's no good . . . I had Nowhere To Run so I . . . no that doesn't work . . . oh heck, I'm not gonna come up with anything as good as Glenn. Dagnabit! But I will be there for the Martha Show to celebrate this important release. In fact my significant other wanted to do something else this evening and when I said I wouldn't miss Miss Martha, he threw down the gauntlet! Oh well, I'll Have To Let Him Go. LOL! Hey Mr. DJ, see you and the gang on the Radiola.
    Well....[[You) Should Be Proud! Bless You...............

^! Good one.
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 03-19-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    ^! Good one.
    Oh, you Sweet Darlin'!!

Lol at Joseph and John's above exchange....

Actually If your sweetie can't understand that Love [[of Motown) Makes You Do Foolish Things you might have to show them the Shoe Leather Expressway. Lol.

Mine doesn't understand why we need all those copies of Jimmy Mack in our CD library and I still haven't gotten a ring on my Third Finger Left Hand after 13 years but I am still grateful I get no protest about listening to Niteflight every Tuesday Night. See everyone at nine!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Lol at Joseph and John's above exchange....

Actually If your sweetie can't understand that Love [[of Motown) Makes You Do Foolish Things you might have to show them the Shoe Leather Expressway. Lol.

Mine doesn't understand why we need all those copies of Jimmy Mack in our CD library and I still haven't gotten a ring on my Third Finger Left Hand after 13 years but I am still grateful I get no protest about listening to Niteflight every Tuesday Night. See everyone at nine!
    [[*BIG smile)

Really looking forward to the show, John & Harry! BTW, it's not "you all", it's "y'all". Don't you know?

....Howdy Y'all!!!! ...in the studio....

In the audience!

Hi Johnny & Harry - looking forward to the show tonight!

Is there 2 different versions of There he Is [[at my door) both with different lead singers?

Quote Originally Posted by lovechild View Post
    Hi Johnny & Harry - looking forward to the show tonight!

Is there 2 different versions of There he Is [[at my door) both with different lead singers?
    Hey Tone!!! Yes.....Gloria W does the first...Martha later cut it with her own lead....

Hi John,
    Very nice start to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSteve View Post
    Hi John,
    Very nice start to the show.

Thanks, Steve!!

Looking forward to the show and both of these releases.

Of all the wonderful Motown-related releases from Hip-O and other labels in the past dozen years, Martha's Lost & Found from 2005 tops the list of my favorites. Another CD of unreleased Martha Reeves is a great way to start 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Looking forward to the show and both of these releases.

Of all the wonderful Motown-related releases from Hip-O and other labels in the past dozen years, Martha's Lost & Found from 2005 tops the list of my favorites. Another CD of unreleased Martha Reeves is a great way to start 2013.

Howdy, John!!!!

Hey Tone!!! Yes.....Gloria W does the first...Martha later cut it with her own lead....
    ahh ok thanks

....Howdy Y'all!!!! ...in the studio....
    Much better!

I am B-Sides myself with pleasure so far

Hey John, Thanks for the kind words. Happy I could listen to the show tonight. This is a great surprise. A big hello to you and Harry!

and Tyrone

Enjoying your program!

The cover photo for Martha's 50th Anniversary Collection is the same photo used for the Dancing In the Street picture sleeve featured on pg 10 of the Live Wire: The Singles 1962-1972, except that Martha & Roz are re-positioned so that all 3 might be at the same level.

Listening in tonight!

Just curious, Harry. Do you ever go to Keith Hugh's 'Don't Forget the Motor City' where there are listings of all released songs by particular groups/artists?

You guys sound sooo good! Thanks for the shout out's. Can't wait for the fans to get ahold of this package, it is spectacular! The Vandellas will all be proud of this one.

Super show MJ! I love me some Martha Reeves and the Vandellas!!

Howard in Long Beach, CA

Is it safe to assume that on the 3 alternate mixes [[that you say aren't that good) there are no strings either?.

RossHolloway Guest
    Has Midnight been drinking before Midnight?

MJ, can you ask Harry if there is a chance that the Smokey Robinson & The Miracles album set will be completed?

Thanks,
    Tyrone

Martha and I became good friends when Martha lived in Los Angeles. I always wanted to do a beautifully packaged CD collection for her. I love her and her music and I know Harry and Andy are big fans as well. In the early 90's we almost did a 2-CD Anthology that was going to include unreleased material. That's when we gathered the songs from the vaults. It took a little time but I'm really happy that we all got to give Martha the loving tribute she deserves.

Sound quality on Jimmy Mack is amazing!

How might the early success of the previews of Motown the Musical affect the release schedule of Motown cds via Select? Internet downloads? Or will it have little real effect?
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 03-19-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Please play 'I Can't wait Till Summer Comes'

This version of "Jimmy Mack" is awesome!

No, John, Tyrone asked if there will be a collection/collections like 'Depend On Me the early albums that will include several Miracles' albums in one package.

Thanks Carole.

Harry,

Slight sidebar but....

i know Universal just released a bunch of new Icon compilations this past week. Besides the new single on the Belinda Carlisle one, are there any alternates or hidden surprises on them we should look for?

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    No, John, Tyrone asked if there will be a collection/collections like 'Depend On Me the early albums that will include several Miracles' albums in one package.
    Got it. I wish but no plans yet.

Alternate version = Martha's Honey Bee [[Keep On Stinging' Me). Our British friends are going to go wild!!!!

Alternate version sounds a bit like "Harper Valley PTA" in spots.

Quote Originally Posted by hwume View Post
    Got it. I wish but no plans yet.
    Fingers are crossed Harry. I sure hope so!

I love the released version of I Can't Dance. The alternate version is cool too but doesn't compare to the released version.

Martha's high note mixed in with the saxophone in a stereo version! Finally. Thank you, Harry.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 03-19-2013 at 11:00 PM.