[REMOVE ADS]

The Skyliners [[Tortoise International)

In 1958 , Jimmy Beaumont, Wally Lester and Jack Taylor [[of the Cresents) got together with Joe Versharen and Janet Vogel [[of the ElRios) to form Pittsburgh based group, the Skyliners.
    They wrote & recorded "Since I Don't Have You" which was rejected by numerous labels before being picked up by local label, Calico Records. It did well & became the 1st single by a white group to hit #1 on the Cashbox R&B charts. They made numerous appearances at the Apollo Theatre and Dick Clark took them on the road with his "Caravan of Stars" tour. "This I Swear" was also a hit for them in 1959. In 1960, Calico released its first album, "The Skyliners". Two standards lifted from the album, "Pennies From Heaven" B/W "I'll be Seeing You" becoming the group's 5th single. Their final Calico single was "Believe Me" B/W "Happy Time" before the group were signed to the Colpix label in 1961 [[3 x 45’s being issued) and then Cameo. A return to a local label followed, a 45 escaping on the Viscount Label. However in 1963 the group was signed to a deal with Atco Records who released their version of "Since I Fell For You". By the early sixties, the group was tired of always being on the road and so took a break. Jimmy Beaumont had started to record as a solo artist in 1961 [[for May, Gallant & Bang) so he continued to perform as a solo act. After a while, a new group line-up was put together and this outfit recorded "The Loser" for Jubilee Records [[1965) which became a hit. A 2nd Jubilee 45 also made the shops before the year was out but this didn't sell as well.
    By the end of the 60’s, Rock and Roll Revival Shows were in vogue so Jimmy, Janet, Wally and Joe re-formed The Skyliners, but they didn’t just want to be an oldies act. Though they performed their original hits on revival shows, they continued to cut new material. In 1974 their Capitol recording of "Where Have They Gone" topped the Pittsburgh radio charts [[though it only just scraped into the national charts). Steve Alaimo, produced the group's 1976 release "The Day The Clown Cried" [[Drive) and in 1977 [[with Bobby Sholes and Jimmie Ross joining Jimmy & Janet) they signed with Tortoise International Records [[from Southfield, Michigan). Two 45’s were released; “Oh How Happy” [[the Edwin Starr penned song in 1977) and “The Love Bug” [[summer 78) plus an 8 cut album. Don Davis produced 7 of their tracks, with Tony Hestor handling their last one [[Rudy Robinson arranging).
    The group are still going strong though only with a couple [[at most) of the old members are still involved.

Anyone know how they came to hook up with Tortoise International ???
    Attachment 1445

Love The Skyliners. They also did an album for Kama Sutra in 1971 called "Once Upon A Time". I have no idea how they hooked up with Tortoise International. This was Janet Vogel-Rapp's last recordings with the group. Her solo on this album, "Tell The Morning To Hurry" is one hell of a song! Janet's vocals on this was so soulful. She passed away at 37 in 1980 from a supposed suicide....