[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

UMG Select Sets Motown Singles Vol. 12A and 12B

This was just posted on the UMG Select Twitter feed --

https://twitter.com/umgselect/status/311538421959114752

" Yes 2 vols, 12A this summer and 12B hopefully by the end of the year. We are so happy they are back on track! "

yessssssssss!

Fantastic!!!

RossHolloway Guest
    Best news all week!!!!!

Fantastic news.

I wonder [[no pun intended) if this development is related at all to the rumor that two of Stevie's albums were about to be reissued by UMG/Motown and given the deluxe treatment. This has since been denied by somebody close to Stevie.

I hope that Motown and Stevie have come to a deal that allows 12A, 12B to proceed but also allows much more in regards to Stevie's work.

Yes - it's great news.

Great news is that Hip-O-Select are finally releasing Vol. 12a & 12b.
    The Bad news is they do appear to have been swallowed up by the corporate giant
    that is Universal Music.
    Lets hope they can keep a bit of Independence, and not toe the corporate
    line; which will see them dictated to with what to release.
    The great thing about independent companies [[such as Ace/Kent) is they are
    run by people who care, people who know and love their music; people who have
    the drive to dig at corporations and get out of them tracks that would never see
    the light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Diamond View Post
    Great news is that Hip-O-Select are finally releasing Vol. 12a & 12b.
    The Bad news is they do appear to have been swallowed up by the corporate giant
    that is Universal Music.
    Lets hope they can keep a bit of Independence, and not toe the corporate
    line; which will see them dictated to with what to release.
    The great thing about independent companies [[such as Ace/Kent) is they are
    run by people who care, people who know and love their music; people who have
    the drive to dig at corporations and get out of them tracks that would never see
    the light of day.

Uh...I hate to break this to you, but Hip-O/Motown Hip-O Select was always owned by UMe.

Anyway, here is the tweet: https://twitter.com/umgselect/status/311538421959114752

Hooray!

Looks like Hip-O's own twitter account has been taken down: https://twitter.com/hiposelect

Hooray? Why are you happy about that?

Select indeed has always been an imprint of UMG.

And yes: hallelujah! Can't wait for these final volumes in the series to come forth. Wait till you see the single for Vol. 12A.

Which is???????

All will be revealed...

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hwume View Post
    Select indeed has always been an imprint of UMG.

And yes: hallelujah! Can't wait for these final volumes in the series to come forth. Wait till you see the single for Vol. 12A.
    Any chance the series could extend beyond 1972?

where is the post with the list of singles from the first half of 1972. i wanna guess what single is gonna be on the cover!?

Not the biggest hit of the first half of 1972 [[would that be MJ again, either Rockin' Robin or I Wanna Be Where You Are?), but maybe Smokey Robinson & The Miracles "We've Come Too Far To End It Now" might be appropriate?

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...t=1972+singles

I'm hoping it's Jr. Walker 'Walk In the Night'

soulster, "hooray" was exclusively directed towards the TCMS12A/B news. I'm indifferent, perhaps slightly negative to the fact that Hip-O seems to have lost its twitter acount.

thanks for finding the list, carol. it won't happen, but i want marvin gaye's "your the man" for the cover single. no obvious giants on the list ...

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I'm hoping it's Jr. Walker 'Walk In the Night'
    That would be a good choice - terrific song, and Jr Walker hasn't had a cover single in this series yet. And no Hip-O releases for him outside of compilations with other artists. It would be great if that changed...
    Last edited by calvin; 03-13-2013 at 02:14 PM.

That's why I chose it and believe that Harry & company have been reading the threads that mention the lack of attention Jr. has gotten in relation to Motown Select Deluxe and Expanded Editions. His 'wait till you see the single' come-on gave me the impression that it just might be Junior's time.

What about the Temps? I was kinda disappointed that Marvin's "What's Going On" was chosen over "Just My Imagination" for '71A, since Marvin had already been used for '68.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    What about the Temps? I was kinda disappointed that Marvin's "What's Going On" was chosen over "Just My Imagination" for '71A, since Marvin had already been used for '68.
    but what temps? they are washed up by '72 and whitfield&strong have moved on to the undisputed truth.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thisoldheart View Post
    but what temps? they are washed up by '72 and whitfield&strong have moved on to the undisputed truth.
    except for their HUGE hit Papa Was A Rolling Stone that was big in '72

whoops! sorry! [[edited) ... didn't think i saw "papa was a ... " on the list of the first half of '72.
    Last edited by thisoldheart; 03-13-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Well The Tempt's "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" would be a contender for 12B [[release date 28 September 1972, according to Wikipedia)... But I'd say Stevie Wonder's Superstition has to be the favourite for that.
    Last edited by calvin; 03-13-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Would be nice. There was FARRR too many artists Detroit-era who finally got their due representation in CD form, why not Los Angeles as well? I'd love to finally hear High Inergy, Scherrie and Susaye, Mary Wilson, Apollo, Vanity, ect. in digital form.

I'd continue buying the series if it continues beyond 1972, just for the record. But I guess the quality would get more and more uneven beyond that point. And Motown was becoming more of an album label by this time. I'd also love to see Scherrie and Susaye, for example, but the whole LP. Also from the 70s - The Four Tops [[ABC Dunhill, but also Universal now), more from the Miracles, The Originals, and yes, Jr Walker [[with and without the All Stars). But we are getting LPs from this period from BBR and SoulMusic.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_postman View Post
    soulster, "hooray" was exclusively directed towards the TCMS12A/B news. I'm indifferent, perhaps slightly negative to the fact that Hip-O seems to have lost its twitter acount.
    Hip-O Select has changed its name to, simply, Select, which necessitated a change to the Twitter handle. That's all.

We haven't seen a Rare Earth or MoWest single represented yet. Maybe it will be something from one of those labels. Sisters Love? Rare Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    God I hope not. These sets were too expensive and collecting them was too obsessive and time consuming. But that's just my personal opinion.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-13-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    God I hope not. But that's just my personal opinion.
    I wish it would extend. Motown didn't end in 1972, even if the Detroit era ended.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Not the biggest hit of the first half of 1972 [[would that be MJ again, either Rockin' Robin or I Wanna Be Where You Are?), but maybe Smokey Robinson & The Miracles "We've Come Too Far To End It Now" might be appropriate?
    They should all be there.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    We haven't seen a Rare Earth or MoWest single represented yet. Rare Earth?
    Sure we have!

You couldn't be more wrong! the Temptations had many hits after 1972, and the chart books will show that. "Heavenly", "masterpiece", Hey, Girl"! I Like Your Style", Glass House", "Shakey Ground"...

Soulster, we were talking about which single might be the one in the cover as the included vinyl 45.
    Last edited by calvin; 03-13-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Soulster, we were talking about which single might be the one in the cover as the included vinyl 45.
    I missed that bit, but what I posted still stands as a reply to the idea the Tempts were washed up by then.

Thinking...appropriate representative 45 then....

- Gladys Knight & the Pips "Neither One Of Us [[Wants To Be the First To Say Goodbye)"
    - Michael Jackson "Ben"
    - Temptations "Papa Was A Rollin' Stone"
    - Stevie Wonder "Superstition"

When I click on that link of a Word Document of 1972 singles [[compiled in 2010), it seems to me that a number of singles are missing. For example, "Good Morning Heartache" by Diana Ross. Were there no single releases by The Supremes and The Four Tops in 1972?

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    When I click on that link of a Word Document of 1972 singles [[compiled in 2010), it seems to me that a number of singles are missing. For example, "Good Morning Heartache" by Diana Ross. Were there no single releases by The Supremes and The Four Tops in 1972?
    i think "automatically sunshine" & "your wonderful sweet sweet love" and the final tops on motown came out in 1972, but perhaps they are in the second half of the year.

Glad this is finally happening. Really hoping 12b at least has a "Corrections" disc for mistakes on previous years mixes, most glaringly with some Jackson 5 tracks.

"A Simple Game" & "I Cant Quit Your Love" by the 4 Tops are listed on 12A as is "Automatically Sunshine" by The Supremes.

The Supremes' "Your Wonderful, Sweet Sweet Love", "I Guess I'll Miss The Man", The Four Tops' "[[It's The Way) Nature Planned It" and Diana Ross' "Good Morning Heartache" will be on 12B.

Quote Originally Posted by no_place_like_motown View Post
    "A Simple Game" & "I Cant Quit Your Love" by the 4 Tops are listed on 12A as is "Automatically Sunshine" by The Supremes.

The Supremes' "Your Wonderful, Sweet Sweet Love", "I Guess I'll Miss The Man", The Four Tops' "[[It's The Way) Nature Planned It" and Diana Ross' "Good Morning Heartache" will be on 12B.
    Thank you, No Place Like Motown. I knew "Good Morning Heartache" was 1972, but it makes sense that it would be on 12B.
    I should have been clearer in my post. When I asked about The Supremes & The Four Tops, I did not mean them as separate acts. I saw that "Automatically Sunshine" was set for 12A. I actually was wondering if any of their group duets were released as singles in 1972. Sorry I was not more clear.

Quote Originally Posted by no_place_like_motown View Post

is there already an official track listing for 12A&B? if so can someone post it, please!

Thank you, No Place Like Motown. I knew "Good Morning Heartache" was 1972, but it makes sense that it would be on 12B.
    I should have been clearer in my post. When I asked about The Supremes & The Four Tops, I did not mean them as separate acts. I saw that "Automatically Sunshine" was set for 12A. I actually was wondering if any of their group duets were released as singles in 1972. Sorry I was not more clear.
    Your welcome Zani,

None of the group's duets were released as singles in 1972. Their last single, "You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart" was issued in 1971. No singles were released from their third LP, "Dynamite" issued in Dec. 1971.

supremester Guest
    I'm so glad they are doing 1972. I hope they go through '77. These collections are gold to me!

A recent twitter confirms that Stevie Wonder's singles will be part of TCMS 1972.

is there already an official track listing for 12A&B? if so can someone post it, please!
    ...here's one we made earlier

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ghlight=tcms12

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    A recent twitter confirms that Stevie Wonder's singles will be part of TCMS 1972.
    I'm glad they worked a deal out. Who knows, maybe this will someday lead to a Stevie Wonder Singles collection with the 70s and 80s single versions. I don't want to jump the gun, but I can hope!

Quote Originally Posted by wichmanne View Post

I hope that Motown and Stevie have come to a deal that allows 12A, 12B to proceed but also allows much more in regards to Stevie's work.
    Is it official that it was Stevie Wonder holding things up?

Back in 2001 those UK 2 on 1 CDs that included original artwork also promised some releases by Stevie Wonder that never happened. Wonder why? That was a great series that made available some very nice albums, but also omitted others strangely. Later, a set of Gladys Knight & Pips 2fers got released, in a different kind of packaging [[inferior I think) but still no Stevie. However, most[[all?) of his have been available individually on CD anyway plus some earlier 2fers. So it's hard to unerstand him objecting to releasing material in TCMS.