[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    alexgarret Guest
    A fair, balanced review...
    Sat it last night. Short answer on Motown was that I came very close to loving it, even at 2:50 with 65 songs! [[At least last night, the show started at 8pm SHARP.)

The book, as I expected, would have its shortcomings, especially in the first half which packed so much in. Act Two was much smoother. But the casting, the choreography, the design elements – there was soooo much talent [[and money, oh the money) on that stage, I ended up really, really liking it.

One of my favorite weirdly-written lines was when Berry Gordy said about the Jackson Five before a blackout, “They’re about to become superstars…I hope they can handle it.” If my Playbill was in my hands, I would have thrown it in the air in anger. There’s foreshadowing, and then there’s foreshadowing.

But the book scenes are relatively short, and then a new number starts and you immediately forget them - so if you take away the book’s problems, then I loved it.

Sounds like everyone would love it if they simply excised the entire story, and simply made a non-stop musical revue. It probably would have been better.

alexgarret Guest
    Looks like they are "fixing" it - audiences love it - sales are great. Yea for the Motown brand - everyone wins.

alexgarret Guest
    "everyone would love it" is kind of a broad statement, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Sounds like everyone would love it if they simply excised the entire story, and simply made a non-stop musical revue. It probably would have been better.
    Not how I interpreted his review. He said they tried to pack too much book into the first half of the show. Some stuff has to be cut. Start with the Doris and Tony Bennett segments. They are needless. Seems like everyone who saw the show likes it.

The show has been starting exactly at eight since it opened. With the musical ending after 11, I guess they have to start on time, which is not common for Broadway .
    Last edited by milven; 03-23-2013 at 09:18 AM.

BET.COM

Motown: The Musical Is Broadway Hit

The show earns $1 million in first week of previews.

By Evelyn Diaz

Posted: 03/22/2013 09:00 AM EDT

Filed Under Berry Gordy, Celebrity News, Motown Records, Broadway, Diana Ross

Fifty years after its heyday, Motown is still churning out the hits.

Motown: The Musical, a Broadway extravaganza chronicling the rise of Motown founder Berry Gordy and his relationship with Diana Ross, is a certified smash hit. The musical earned $1 million from seven shows in its first week of previews.

The production stars Tony nominee Brandon Victor Dixon [[The Color Purple) and Valisia Lekae [[The Book of Mormon) as Gordy and Ross. Raymond Luke Jr., Jibreel Mawry, Bryan Terrell Clark and Charl Brown round out the cast.

The musical faces stiff competition on Broadway from such long-running hits as Wicked, The Book of Mormon and The Lion King, but audiences have spoken loudly and it's clear they're ready to go back to Detroit.

Motown: The Musical officially opens on April 14.

Regarding the Doris Day episode in the libretto for Motown, The Musical: first let me say I have NOT seen the production yet so I will defer to the opinions of those who have until I can judge for myself. Maybe it does need to be tweaked or aborted altogether. I hope the latter is not the case. When I read Berry Gordy's book that part was important to me because it helped explain his "process"

I could see he had a clear cut idea of the demographic he wanted to reach when he was developing the image and personna of the performer he called " my star". As we all know at one point he hoped that star would be Mary Wells. Using the mass market appeal of Doris Day as the template, the goal was to develop and manage the career of someone who could captivate the broadest cross section of the American public as possible. He studied Doris Day's success and tried to find a unique way to capture that type of demographic without being an exact duplication of her. That's where he got his marketing strategy from. AND..... It worked!!

For me that's an important element to his story. It helped me understand his motives and some of the ensuing drama [[and melodrama) that we have heard so much about.

However, I realize it could be that its not written very well or played very well in the current version of the book for the show as alluded to by several first hand observations. I could only judge that by experiencing the show myself. Til then I will defer to those who have.
    Last edited by LuvHangOva; 03-23-2013 at 01:41 PM.

You make a good point about the Doris Day segment. I read his book many years ago, but don't even remember the Doris Day part. As your post states, it does explain his goal for the company. But with the show having to start at 8 sharp and ending after 11, something has to be cut and the Tony Bennett and Doris Day segments are my choices. I think the story can still move forward without those segments.

I think all of us on this board love the Motown Music and the Story of Motown so much, that we want to see it all represented in the show. I know I would. I would sit in my seat till past midnight to see more. Of course that is unrealistic for the general theatre audience.

But then, back in the nineties, there was a play that was so long that they presented it in two parts. You had to go back to the theatre on another night to see the second part. Again, that would be too much for the general audience, but I would love it

Temptation Otis Williams and long time Motown manager, Shelly Berger discuss Motown: The Musical and the prospects of a new musical about The Temptations with Tavis Smiley.

http://www.tavissmileyradio.com/otis-williams-shelly-berger-motown-the-musical/
    Last edited by LuvHangOva; 03-23-2013 at 01:49 PM.

“CBS SUNDAY MORNING”
    The popular news program is doing a story on Berry Gordy and the making of MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL! Tune in from 9:00 to 10:30 AM on CBS this SUNDAY, MARCH 31ST!

“GOOD MORNING AMERICA”
    The cast will be performing during the 8:00 AM hour on APRIL 4TH! Tune in on ABC

I saw the show last week. They are constantly changing things and have at least 10 more days of previews to continue creating the show. These are my thoughts on the show I saw.

The show will be a hit. I base this on the fact that the box office was consistently telling people that they had minimal or no tickets for most nights. Most shows in previews do not put tickets at TKTS, instead they leak a discount code for the show. The producers have pulled the discount code. The energy in the theatre as the audience entered was palpable. The room was electric and the audience was ready. I go to a lot of theatre in NYC and it has been a long, long time since I felt that kind of eergy in a theatre.

The music is fabulous. Many songs just a chorus or a few lines but, for some reason. you don't feel cheated. The roles of Berry, Diana, Smokey are fleshed out. Most of the others are not. many of the secondary acts are presented as too generic, i.e., wigs on the Supremes that the Vandellas would have worn. Mary & Flo each wearing the same wig. The Vandellas dresses all the same and, though they may have worn something similar, the dresses were not a true reflection of their look. The Temptations seemed like 5 guys onstage in the same outfit, the Four Tops were the same. Each group does a signature move but the rest is just generic dance. I had problems with some of the voices as well. Mary Wells never sounded as she does in this production. The production Mary oversings tremendously in a voice that is a little gospel and raspy - there is no smoothness at all. The Martha sings loud but doesn't have the quality of Ms. Reeves and sounds more like she's a tribute band member. Marvin did not have the smoothness of vocals or even the attitude of Mr. Gaye - never came close to reminding me of Marvin - but his big scene was well acted.

The show covers a lot of ground. Much is missing. But the show, as presented, was about the big things in Berry Gordy, Jr.'s life, not Motown. The Doris Day segment was short and, I thought, worked well in showing you what Berry worked for in his music. One of the things I loved was the opening night of Diana Ross in Vegas after leaving the Supremes. Tickets sales are not going well, we are told [[in front of a huge sign that says Frontier Hotel), and you can hear the original recording of Up The Ladder To The Roof playing in the background. Berry says something like "could someone stop that damn song? I don't want Diana to hear a Supremes hit when her song isn't doing well!" The War segment is fantastic, the Jackson 5 segment is good and solid, and there is a good segment dedicated to the acts that scored singles after the original mainstays have left the company.
    The sets and the costumes are fantastic. Quite a bit of money went into both aspects.

Again, this show is about Berry. It concerns the company he built and his love for Diana Ross as both a performer and a woman. And the show is all about the music. I don't think it was a great show but I had a fantastic night in the theatre. Hopefully, they can skim some time off it. It ran 2:50 when I saw it and they should probably cut at least 10 minutes out of it. If anyone from the production wants to know what my 10 minutes would be.... contact me!

And, jillfoster, MJ does wear the tan pants and the purple fringed vest in the show. He actually has a couple of outfits.
    Last edited by thommg; 03-29-2013 at 04:45 PM.

revvy Guest
    Great review! It echoed my sentiments exactly. I would cut the "Tears of a Clown" segment. It's unfortunate because it is one of my favorite Motown songs and Charl Brown sings it great, but the puppet choreography was needless and distracting. What did you think of it?
    Last edited by revvy; 03-29-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revvy View Post
    Great review! It echoed my sentiments exactly. I would cut the "Tears of a Clown" segment. It's unfortunate because it is one of my favorite Motown songs and Charl Brown sings it great, but the puppet choreography was needless and distracting. What did you think of it?
    My problem with the segment stemmed from it being too long and too literal. They could have accomplished more with much less - speeding up the segment and the show. But Charl Brown sang it very well. He had that Smokey voice happening both in song and just speaking. Valisia Lekae also nailed Diana Ross' speaking voice. Her vocals were pretty close as well.

From what I read in the post from 'thommg", Gordy actually concedes that he didn't want the 70's Supremes with Jean to do as well or better than a solo Ross..
    I've felt that was the case since 1973,as a fan of both acts, and seeing how the JMC group was treated,but it's nice to hear him actually admit it!..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    From what I read in the post from 'thommg", Gordy actually concedes that he didn't want the 70's Supremes with Jean to do as well or better than a solo Ross..
    I've felt that was the case since 1973,as a fan of both acts, and seeing how the JMC group was treated,but it's nice to hear him actually admit it!..
    Wow, you really have to stretch to read that into what I said. What he said was they had a hit and Ross didn't and he didn't want her to hear that as she was opening as a solo artist. Where in the hell do you get Gordy doesn't want the Supremes to do as well or better than a solo Ross? Please....

revvy Guest
    I always thought it would have been better to rename the group after Ross left. That way, there would have been no competition between Ross and the New Supremes. That's what we called them anyway...The New Supremes or the Rossless Supremes. It just felt awkward to say. They probably would have been better promoted as a new entity IMHO. In my heart of hearts, I do believe Berry/Motown purposely did not promote the New Supremes as they should have been promoted. I wouldn't call it sabotage necessarily, but they certainly weren't working overtime to ensure their success like they did when Diana was part of the group.

they were called the 'new' Supremes for the first few months of 1970, and then that was over..
    and why would Ross be upset to hear The Supremes having a hit when she didn't, unless they were regarded as her competition [[which I'm sure, Jean Terrell was)..
    and we all know what happened to female competition for Miss Ross at Motown, just ask Gladys Horton, Martha Reeves, Gladys Knight, etc.. or Jean Terrell... and it's well known that I'm a huge lifelong Ross fan, #1, but as I've stated many times, I don't drink the Kool Aid, and I acknowledge the deficiencies of Florence Ballard, Mary Wilson and Diana Ross..and especially Berry Gordy, who stirred the pot, continuously..
    and I love him, the music and The Supremes, but i also love the truth, and the truth is, he would never allow any other female act to eclipse Diana Ross...ever..

I caught the matinee of this show this afternoon. I purposely stayed away from this thread or any other reviews so that I would be totally surprised when I saw the show.

I loved the show, and from the response of my fellow audience members, I would assume they did as well. I was most impressed by the actress who played Diana. She really captured Diana both on and off stage. The young man who played Michael Jackson was great as well.

It is rather fast-moving, and many things don't get developed as well as they might have been, if there had been unlimited time. But there really wasn't ever a moment to get bored, especially with all that great music.

I was surprised that Stevie Wonder wasn't featured much. He is shown as a boy in the first act, and only sings two songs in the second, one of which is his HAPPY BRITHDAY tribute to MLK. I was also surprised that Martha Reeves wasn't featured at all, and only one of her songs made the show. I'm not surprised that every act couldn't be featured, but those two,at least, I thought deserved more.

Reese, thanks for getting back on topic. I am glad that you enjoyed the show. So far, everyone who has seen the show and posted in this thread has liked it.

It's time for all fans to get behind it and accept it as the latest Motown hit, even those that are bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It's time for all fans to get behind it and accept it as the latest Motown hit, even those that are bitter.
    Motown and Berry Gordy Jr. were featured on CBS Sunday Morning. Lots of great, rare footage of the musicians, artists, etc. It indeed is a hit.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-31-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    “CBS SUNDAY MORNING”
    The popular news program is doing a story on Berry Gordy and the making of MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL! Tune in from 9:00 to 10:30 AM on CBS this SUNDAY, MARCH 31ST!

“GOOD MORNING AMERICA”
    The cast will be performing during the 8:00 AM hour on APRIL 4TH! Tune in on ABC

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Motown and Berry Gordy Jr. were featured on CBS Sunday Morning. Lots of great, rare footage of the musicians, artists, etc. It indeed is a hit.
    I just watched it. Very nice interview and some interesting clips from the show including the finale of Motown 25, which in the show was changed from SOMEDAY to MOUNTAIN. Hopefully, the segment will be put up on You Tube later

Here is a link to Berry's interview on CBS THIS MORNING

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162...end-of-motown/

GOOD TO SEE you were on it, Milven. The segment could have been longer, but it appears Berry Gordy has struck gold again. Do you know if he's still in New York overseeing the musical?

I don't know, but there sure is a lot of footage of him in NYC

Here's the link to the actual video of the BG interview from CBS This Morning!!! After seeing it I can already tell they will be calling paramedics to remove me from the theatre. For me the best thing about the clip is the end. Since i first heard it I have gotten thru EVERY tough point in my life by just remembering this version of the last song used in this clip. Now to see it's being used
    in the climax of a hit Broadway show. Wow! Almost too much for me! Just seeing the few seconds of it in this clip brought tears to my eyes! So powerful.... Yup, they will be wheeling me out of the Lunt-Fontanne on a stretcher!!! LOL

http://m.cbsnews.com/postwatch.rbml?...cbsID=50143916
    Last edited by LuvHangOva; 03-31-2013 at 03:41 PM.

revvy Guest
    One thing that struck me seeing the show earlier this month was the performance of the Tempts "Ball of Confusion" actually sounded better live on stage than the original recording. I sure hope they don't cut that segment. It's really good and is so reflective of the state of the world today. Safe to say nothing has changed in 40 years. The world is such a mess right now.

I thought the clip showed a very exciting show as well. You are not a fan anymore if you lived through all of that and do not find that exciting. I'm going to have to go to New York and see that.

Quote Originally Posted by revvy View Post
    One thing that struck me seeing the show earlier this month was the performance of the Tempts "Ball of Confusion" actually sounded better live on stage than the original recording. I sure hope they don't cut that segment. It's really good and is so reflective of the state of the world today. Safe to say nothing has changed in 40 years. The world is such a mess right now.
    Revvy, I don't think that will get cut since the entire segment is tied in with the civil unrest in the nation. The song and that segment really worked well in the show.

alexgarret Guest
    Way wow - this is fantastic. I still think that critics are going to eat this show alive, but the masses are going to love it. Win Win for the Motown brand. I can't wait to see it in June.

Motown’ Breaks Broadway Musical Preview Records

Here is Harry's article.

Looks like Universal will sell some music arising from this.

Andrew Eccles
    Brandon Victor Dixon as Berry Gordy and Valisia LeKae as Diana Ross.The new Broadway show, “Motown: The Musical,” about the life of Motown Records founder Berry Gordy, Jr., grossed more than $1 million at the box office last week, the third week in a row it has done so.

It is the first time in 15 years that an original musical opening cold on Broadway — without a prior, out-of-town engagement or transfer from London’s West End — has grossed more than $1 million for three consecutive weeks during previews before its opening.

For the week ended March 31, “Motown: The Musical” grossed $1,164,191 with 1455 seats sold during eight shows; for the week ended March 24, it grossed $1,015,331 with 1465 seats sold during seven shows; and for the week ended March 17, it grossed $1,029,883 with 1465 seats sold during seven shows.*

For the week ended March 31, “Motown: The Musical” also had the highest percentage capacity of Broadway shows.

Such strong box-office sales during the first three weeks of previews is rare for an original Broadway musical that hasn’t had a long lead time to build word-of-mouth. “Motown: The Musical” did benefit from awareness built by a Chrysler television commercial that followed Berry Gordy, Jr., in a Chrysler 300 Motown sedan from landmarks in Detroit, to New York’s Lunt-Fontanne Theatre where the musical is being performed.

“This is a musical about a family, a group of people who come together and build a community around trying to create the best music possible,” said Kevin McCollum, the show’s lead producer, who also produced the Tony Award-winning musicals “Rent,” “Avenue Q” and “In the Heights.” Those three shows, including “Drowsy Chaperone,” which he also produced, were all original musicals to Broadway with first-time directors and authors.

“I love working with new artists,” McCollum said. “Who would have thought Berry Gordy is a ‘new artist’? But he is, he’s the book writer.”

“The one thing about this show that’s true of all my shows is there’s a good story where an individual has an earthly problem and finds a way to find their family. By finding their family, they solve their earthly problems,” he said. “We can understand what it’s like to keep a family together.”

As “Motown” is still nearly two weeks away from its April 14 opening, there are still changes being made, McCollum said, but he said every night has sold out in terms of seats and standing room spaces. He called it “1512 people having a celebration” every night.

“I’ve been doing this for so many years, and I haven’t seen anything like this,” he said.

*Source: The Broadway League

What it shows to me, Harry, is that Motown still attracts audiences... Motown is forever.

I'm visting NYC in July , travelling from the UK. Decided to take the plunge and bought tickets to see "Motown the Musical"
    today....I have been following this thread ", which predictably has
    turned into a Supremes bunfight at times.
    But it seems to be a Broadway hit already, with initial preview sales very good.
    I expect that elements of this show will 'wind me up' but as my 3 travelling
    partners are not deep Motown fans, I have decided to go to the show, as I'm sure
    it will be on a level they will enjoy and the music and dance will produce a
    great show. I did intend to book this in NYC but if it does take off, it may
    sell out, and as we're there at 4th July holiday , it will be packed no doubt,
    so decided to booked in advance.

For the week ended March 31, “Motown: The Musical” also had the highest percentage capacity of Broadway shows.

Motown: The Musical, Broadway hit – To Be Loved, Broadway Bedroom flop

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Why would you accuse anyone of being bitter, Bob? I’m not --- as I’m a “never-was Motown alum” … only a Motown Fan.

And exactly why would such embittered individuals have to follow your demand and get behind a dumbed down tourist tribute show? Motown music has always been a “Doris Day” hit --- it is that same crossover music that creates this Broadway show and makes it a Motown hit. It is the Motown music catalogue that actually creates BB’s entire show. A standing ovation for the music …

There is no Pulitzer Prize BB book … To Be Loved … The book didn’t sell when it was published and BB still can’t sell it as a best seller on Broadway. And the veracity of the book’s content … as allegedly written by a non-charitable guy who pimped out his wife, sold out his artists and gambled big on Hollywood … and then can’t get it up when it counts most … well I guess he says it all himself. No further elaboration required.

And Sony, Universal and Chrysler [[amongst other “unknown” entities) are investors … they require a multi-million dollar payback or is it playback or maybe Blackjack. Whatever … the roll of the Motown music dice was always banked on the Motown Music catalogue successfully selling to Broadway. And it is selling …

BB’s To Be Loved will always be remembered as the book that didn’t sell at Barnes & Noble … and it is that same book that is unable to sell itself on Broadway. A book flop … either way. But, great Musical score! And some talented tribute singers.

See that things have not changed much on this site … other than the addition of other personalities …

I’ll try and give an unbiased hit or miss review after April 14.

Quote Originally Posted by mirage View Post
    ...I’ll try and give an unbiased hit or miss review after April 14.
    After your previous posts, I didn't think you had any interest in seeing it. Do you have tickets to see it after it opens so that you can give it your unbiased hit or miss review? Tickets are becoming scarce and are now selling at full price.

Mirage, I have no standing to "demand" anything. It just seems very strange to me for people to call themselves "Motown Fans" and to hope for a failure in Berry's last hurrah and to relish the possibility of a flop.

I accuse no one of being bitter; but a few people, yourself included, appear to be bitter about something. Generally it is over the lack of recognition of certain people or groups or the fact that Berry and a few of his artists made millions of dollars and most of the rest of everybody came up with not very much. You know, I don't like that either. But we live in a capitalist, free enterprise country and the chips aren't pretty all the time when they fall. And I thoroughly understand that Berry is probably bombarded by requests for assistance daily; as are Diana, Stevie, Lionel and Smokey. And I can even see why many of the requests never even make it to them and why they could not honour them all.

Video clip - 2.5 mns. - Bringing Motown to Broadway

[[My apologies if this is a duplicate posting.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP4UNKJ5agM

MOTOWN THE MUSICAL has been featured on Entertainment Tonight all this week and this morning, some of the cast was on GOOD MORNING AMERICA performing in the studio and Dancing in the Street outside the studio in Times Square.

http://gma.yahoo.com/video/gma-motow...080000514.html

Meet Motown The musical's Diana Ross- Valisia Lekae.

Berry Gordy, and the actor that plays him, and the actress that plays Diana were interviewed on ET. Valisia Lekae was asked if she had a chance to meet Diana yet, and she responded "Not yet. Soon. Very very soon". Don't know if this means that Diana will visit the cast, or if she is planning on attending opening night. Video link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahUSRHVTdig

Great article about the marketing and advertising for Motown:The Musical.

http://jkstheatrescene.blogspot.com/...sical.html?m=1

There had been discussion about a "Motown Family Night" being part of the show's preview weeks, with many former Motowners in attendance. Did this occur? Who was there?

That said, do we have any information about which Motowners will be in attaendance on opening night on April 11th?

alexgarret Guest
    Family Night was last night
    http://broadwayworld.com/article/Pho...adway-20130406

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    There had been discussion about a "Motown Family Night" being part of the show's preview weeks, with many former Motowners in attendance. Did this occur? Who was there?

That said, do we have any information about which Motowners will be in attaendance on opening night on April 11th?

Quote Originally Posted by alexgarret View Post
    Mr Gordy look so happy and proud and the First Lady of Motown Dr Martha Reeves look beautiful a true superstar.

Thank you for the link alexgarret.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

In the photos, #19 is mis-identified as Betty Kelly when it is actually Annette Beard; and in all photos with Cal Gil, she is incorrectly listed as Mildred Gil-Arbor.

smark21 Guest
    Must have been interesting for Martha, Rosalind, Annette and Betty to be in the same room together last night.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    In the photos, #19 is mis-identified as Betty Kelly when it is actually Annette Beard; and in all photos with Cal Gil, she is incorrectly listed as Mildred Gil-Arbor.
    Thank you Carole. Millie did not attend. The photo's also mix up Norma and Bertha....Bertha has dark hair , Norma's is blond

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Thank you Carole. Millie did not attend. The photo's also mix up Norma and Bertha....Bertha has dark hair , Norma's is blond
    Thanks, I don't know how I missed that fact.
    Have the Velvelettes told you if they enjoyed the production?

From Andrew on Facebook

Motown The Musical: Motown Family Alumni night April 5, 2013. Wonderful show! Still needs some fine tuning before opening but the show is really great. I highly recommend that the fans go see it. It was so much fun. The after party was incredible. Thank you Mr. Gordy, Harry Weinger, Brian Drutman, Bruce Resnikoff, Allen Rawls, Stevie Wonder, Chris Clark, Louvain Demps, Jackie Hicks, Abdul Duke Fakir, Claudette First-Lady Robinson, Claudette Robinson, Dennis Edwards, Martha Reeves, Rosalind Lee Holmes, Betty Kelly, Annette L. Helton, Cal Street, Norma Barbee, Millie Gill, Brian Holland, Edward Holland, Timothy D. Bellavia, Janie Bradford, Clay McMurray, Pat Cosby, Karla Gordy-Bristol, Kennedy "Rockwell" Gordy, Dillon Gorman, the talented cast of the musical, and anyone else I forgot to mention here, for a truly amazing and wonderful evening! — with Janie Bradford and 3 others.