[REMOVE ADS]

Latest music find: Johnny Gill [[1983)

I really don't know if much of a rare find, perhaps more a "lesser known", of an underappreciated, "unsung" variety, that I'm sure his early albums on Atlantic will be at least lightly touched upon in his upcoming UNSUNG episode.

Found Johnny Gill, his very first album, in my local second hand bookstore, only four dollars, just about "like new" condition, not even a scratch!

Apparently, from reviews from research, just about most basically just said "Failure". But, c'mon! That's raising the bar too high, expecting everything to be "Rub You The Right Way" or "My, My, My"! A few still pretty jammin' uptempo tracks are within [[ "Super Love", "Guilty", "Half Steppin"), but personally, my favorites are the tender ballads [["Thank You", "Show Her Love", "You", and his cover of "When Something Is Wrong With My Baby")

It's just amazing, on the latter mentioned songs, how it shows off his vocals, then only sixteen!, already as full, mature, and manly! Really, based on pure talent alone, even in 1983-1984, he should've been on par with those high-voiced New Edition, whom my family, friends, say that if they didn't know they were boys, they would've thought they girls, hahaha.

Last edited by Ngroove; 03-04-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Johnny was on Celebrity Ghost Stories yesterday on the bio channel and it was pretty good, lol.

S.S.