[REMOVE ADS]

Bobby Rogers RIP

Posted by Marie Leighton

Till we meet again...RIP Bobby Rogers of the Miracles. The sweetest, the funniest and the kindest man it was our privilege to know. A man after God's own heart, and Dan's close buddy for all time. All our love from Dan and Marie.

miracles you're so fine and sweet

Is this true,have we lost another legend,one who was there at the very start of [hitsville]the tall miracle in glasses,you'll be missed bobby but you live on in the hearts and mind of miracles fans everywhere..you really got a hold on us..r.i.p.

Pat Lewis

BOBBY RODGERS, AN ORIGINAL MEMBER OF "THE MIRICLES " PASSED AWAY THIS MORNING. ARRANGMENTS ARE NOT YET COMPLETE. ANOTHER VOICE JOINING THE HEAVENLY CHIOR. RIP BOBBY

The article John posted the URL for above:

Bobby Rogers, one of the founding members of the Miracles, the Motown group that shot singer/songwriter Smokey Robinson into worldwide fame, died this morning after a long illness, his friend Jeanne Sorensen confirmed.

Rogers was 73.

His story began, as so many musical Detroit stories do, in the north end. Born Feb. 19, 1940 in Detroit, Rogers joined Northern High School student Bill "Smokey" Robinson's group, the Matadors, in the mid-1950's.

After his cousin Claudette Rogers was brought into the group, its name was deemed too masculine and was changed to "The Miracles." With the addition of Claudette, the beautifully harmonic sound that Motown fans came to love was set. Bobby's silky tenor voice fit right in under Smokey's and Claudette's high voices, and was anchored by Ronnie White's baritone and Pete Moore's bass. He is particularly apparent singing second tenor under Robinson on "You Really Got a Hold on Me."

His singing would have been enough, and the tall, bespectacled Rogers was the most graceful dancer in the group, but he proved to be a deft hand at songwriting as well. With Robinson, he co-wrote many songs, notably "First I Look at the Purse," recorded by the Contours, "The Way You Do the Things You Do" by the Temptations, Marvin Gaye's "Ain't That Peculiar" and "One More Heartache," and the Miracles' smash "Going to A Go-Go."

After Robinson left the Miracles to go solo in 1972, Rogers kept the group going, and they scored a Smokey-less hit with "Love Machine" in 1975. In recent years, he was the only original member left, but illness forced him to retire from the road.

Rogers was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame along with the Miracles in 2012, but was too ill to attend the April ceremony.

Come back to detroitnews.com for more details.

swhitall@detroitnews.com

Another True Gentleman! Rest in Peace Bobby, Thanks for the Music you gave us!

Very sad to hear this. Another one of our Motown legends gone. Condolences go out to his family and loved ones. RIP Bobby.

Name:  b4.jpg
Views: 2251
Size:  47.8 KBHe was one of the nicest most special people I have ever had the honour to meet, I'm going to post a few photos here in his memory, some with the girls from the Velvelettes and others of Bobby on stage when he came over to the UK a few years back,

Name:  br3.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  40.0 KBAnd on stage

In a jokey mood with meName:  br1.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  82.5 KB

very sad to hear of Mr Rodgers passing, I too met him at the same Pontins Weekender, even got to share a bottle of bud with him and asked him about his times at Motown, glad to say I met him and saw him perform, thank you Mr Rodgers for your part in the history of the music we love. RIP dickiemint x

Thank you for the visual memories Paul

I knew he was ill. I was very happy he made another birthday just a little over a week ago. He was my favorite in the Miracles, but more importantly he was a good man......a real good human being. I remember whenever Mrs Esther Edwards needed him for anything he would be there. That's how I met him.

Bobby was the spark behind the Miracles. Dude could dance as well as sing. I know that this is devastating for Claudette, his family and Smokey in particular. He had lots of friends and we have lots of memories. Farewell to Bobby Rogers and God Bless.

Marv
    Last edited by marv2; 03-03-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Rest peacefully, Bobby.

Bobby Rogers, one of the founding members of the Miracles, the Motown group that shot singer/songwriter Smokey Robinson into worldwide fame, died this morning after a long illness, his friend Jeanne Sorensen confirmed.

Rogers was 73.

His story began, as so many musical Detroit stories do, in the north end. Born Feb. 19, 1940 in Detroit, Rogers joined Northern High School student Bill "Smokey" Robinson's group, the Matadors, in the mid-1950's.

After his cousin Claudette Rogers was brought into the group, its name was deemed too masculine and was changed to "The Miracles." With the addition of Claudette, the beautifully harmonic sound that Motown fans came to love was set. Bobby's silky tenor voice fit right in under Smokey's and Claudette's high voices, and was anchored by Ronnie White's baritone and Pete Moore's bass. He is particularly apparent singing second tenor under Robinson on "You Really Got a Hold on Me."

His singing would have been enough, and the tall, bespectacled Rogers was the most graceful dancer in the group, but he proved to be a deft hand at songwriting as well. With Robinson, he co-wrote many songs, notably "First I Look at the Purse," recorded by the Contours, "The Way You Do the Things You Do" by the Temptations, Marvin Gaye's "Ain't That Peculiar" and "One More Heartache," and the Miracles' smash "Going to A Go-Go."

After Robinson left the Miracles to go solo in 1972, Rogers kept the group going, and they scored a Smokey-less hit with "Love Machine" in 1975. In recent years, he was the only original member left, but illness forced him to retire from the road.

Rogers was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame along with the Miracles in 2012, but was too ill to attend the April ceremony.

Rogers was married to Wanda Young of the Marvelettes in the early 1960's. The marriage ended in divorce in the 1970s. He is survived by his wife Joan, and four children: Bobbae, Gina, Kimberly & Robert III.

Come back to detroitnews.com for more details.

swhitall@detroitnews.com

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2MVRMpGhL

This is turning into the saddest of Motown years; ironic as the Musical moves toward opening on Broadway.

Memories of Bobby Rogers ..........

Miracles Reunion!

revvy Guest
    I can't believe it! Another Motowner gone? Diana and Mary, I beg you: PLEASE bury the hatchet...TODAY!

Bettye has lost her log in information. She asked me to post the following for her.

I just want to say that Bobby Rogers was one of the 10 best people that I have ever met in my life and I know that he will rest in peace, because he was so damn good. I know that Claudette and Smokey will miss him so much. And I send them my love.
    B.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013030...sey=nav%7Chead

As a vocalist, songwriter and choreographer, the Miracles’ Bobby Rogers embodied the eclectic Motown spirit from the company’s earliest days.

Rogers died at about 6:30 a.m. today at his longtime Southfield home after a lengthy illness. He was 73.

Rogers, who had kept various incarnations of the Miracles going into the new century, was a well-decorated figure with the group: inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, honored with a Rhythm & Blues Foundation Pioneer Award, memorialized with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Rogers was preceded in death by founding Miracle Ronnie White, who died in 1995.

The strapping singer was remembered today by friends and family members as a warm, congenial figure who made instant connections with others.

“He had the sparkling personality that was loved by everyone,” said the Miracles’ Claudette Robinson, a first cousin of Rogers. “People always commented on the tall one with the glasses. He was personable, approachable and he loved talking to the women, loved talking to the guys, loved to dance, loved to sing, loved to perform. That was the joy of his life.”

While he was best known as one of the Miracles’ five voices, Rogers was particularly proud of his songwriting contributions, including credits with Smokey Robinson on hits such as “The Way You Do the Things You Do” [[the Temptations), “First I Look at the Purse” [[the Contours) and the Miracles’ “Going to a Go-Go.”

“He loved to write with Smokey,” said Claudette Robinson. “Bobby would often say how happy he was to be allowed to write with him. Smokey would say, ‘I’m not just allowing you — you’re a great writer.’”

Working and performing together was something of destiny for the two childhood friends: They were born just an hour apart on Feb. 19, 1940, in Detroit’s Herman Kiefer Hospital.

Rogers was among the handful of people privy to Motown’s rise from the ground up: The Miracles – then the Matadors -- were discovered by Berry Gordy Jr. in 1959, and became the first artist on the Tamla imprint.

The group had started as the Five Chimes, rehearsing doo-wop tunes in the basement of Claudette Rogers’ home, learning material from old 78-r.p.m. records.

With Rogers' tenor joining Pete Moore, Ronnie White and Claudette Rogers in the harmonies around Robinson’s lead vocal, the Miracles’ “Shop Around” went on to become Motown’s first million-seller, and the first of 30 Miracles hits to make the Top 40.

His biggest starring role came with “You’ve Really Got a Hold On Me” in 1962, singing two-part harmony with Robinson.

“Bobby liked to call it his duet with Smokey,” recalled Paul Barker, a friend of the group. “He’d tell you, ‘Hey, I sang lead on that!’”

Rogers’ role became more pronounced after the departure of Robinson in 1972, as he toured with Moore, White and a series of lead singers into the 1980s. Rogers and White revived the group in the early ’90s after a decade hiatus.

In more recent years, Rogers was the main engine for the Miracles, trademarking the name and nurturing the legacy as he toured North America and Europe under the group’s banner.

“He wanted that to be something he was remembered for: keeping the Miracles’ name alive,” said Barker.

Funeral arrangements have not been set.

As everyone here has noted, Bobby was just the nicest man you could meet. He had been ill for a while due to dementia and losing his leg but he still kept his smile. I will miss you my friend. My prayers to Joan and his children.

So sorry ot hear this sad news. This thread is a wonderful visual and written tribute to one of our Motown legends. His legacy and music will live on in our hearts ad minds.

My condolences to his family and friends.

May Mr. Rogers Rest In Peace..

~~Mary~~

When Christ shall come
    With shout of acclamation
    And take me home
    What joy shall fill my heart
    Then I shall bow
    With humble adoration
    And then proclaim My God
    How great Thou art

Mr Bobby Rogers is home and probably saying to his Heavenly Father "How great thou art" for God is great and he has taken Mr Rogers home.

Roberta

I ♥ The Supremes and Temptations Guest
    Wow...This is a shock
    RIP

Here is an updated article from the Detroit Free Press in which Brian McCollum talked with Claudette Robinson and Mary Wilson about Bobby Rogers. Much more comprehensive than earlier single-sourced articles on this thread.

Miracles' founding member Bobby Rogers dies at 73 freep.com
    www.freep.com

Miracles' founding member Bobby Rogers dies at 73

By Brian McCollum
    Detroit Free Press Pop Music Writer

As a vocalist, songwriter and choreographer, the Miracles’ Bobby Rogers embodied the eclectic Motown spirit from the company’s earliest days.

Rogers died at about 6:30 a.m. today at his longtime Southfield home after a lengthy illness. He was 73.

Rogers, who had kept various incarnations of the Miracles going into the new century, was a well-decorated figure with the group: inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, honored with a Rhythm & Blues Foundation Pioneer Award, memorialized with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Rogers was preceded in death by founding Miracle Ronnie White, who died in 1995.
    The strapping singer was remembered today by friends and family members as a warm, congenial figure who made instant connections with others.

“He had the sparkling personality that was loved by everyone,” said the Miracles’ Claudette Robinson, a first cousin of Rogers. “People always commented on the tall one with the glasses. He was personable, approachable and he loved talking to the women, loved talking to the guys, loved to dance, loved to sing, loved to perform. That was the joy of his life.”

That upbeat spirit is captured among the array of voices on Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On,” with Rogers heard early on uttering, “It's just a groovy party, man, I can dig it.”

“If people want to remember him, they should put that record on and listen to Bobby,” said the Supremes’ Mary Wilson. “That’s who he was.”

Wilson last saw him when she and the Miracles toured Australia in 2010.

“When he walked out on stage, he walked out with a zest, even though he had his walker,” she recalled. “He walked out in time [[to the music), and he was just great. He still loved what he did.”

While he was best known as one of the Miracles’ five voices, Rogers was particularly proud of his songwriting contributions, including credits with Smokey Robinson on hits such as “The Way You Do the Things You Do” [[the Temptations), “First I Look at the Purse” [[the Contours) and the Miracles’ “Going to a Go-Go.”

“He loved to write with Smokey,” said Claudette Robinson. “Bobby would often say how happy he was to be allowed to write with him. Smokey would say, ‘I’m not just allowing you — you’re a great writer.’”

Working and performing together was something of destiny for the two childhood friends: They were born just an hour apart on Feb. 19, 1940, in Detroit’s Herman Kiefer Hospital.
    Rogers was among the handful of people privy to Motown’s rise from the ground up: The Miracles – then the Matadors -- were discovered by Berry Gordy Jr. in 1959, and became the first artist on the Tamla imprint.

The group had started as the Five Chimes, rehearsing doo-wop tunes in the basement of Claudette Rogers’ home, learning material from old 78-r.p.m. records.

With Rogers' tenor joining Pete Moore, Ronnie White and Claudette Rogers in the harmonies around Robinson’s lead vocal, the Miracles’ “Shop Around” went on to become Motown’s first million-seller, and the first of 30 Miracles hits to make the Top 40.

Wilson knew Rogers from the Supremes’ formative years, when the teen group – then the Primettes – auditioned for the Miracles and began the path to Motown. They both attended Northeastern High.

“He was like a celebrity there,” she recalls.

Rogers’ biggest starring role came with “You’ve Really Got a Hold On Me” in 1962, singing two-part harmony with Robinson.

“Bobby liked to call it his duet with Smokey,” recalled Paul Barker, a friend of the group. “He’d tell you, ‘Hey, I sang lead on that!’”

Rogers’ role became more pronounced after the departure of Robinson in 1972, as he toured with Moore, White and a series of lead singers into the 1980s. Rogers and White revived the group in the early ’90s after a decade hiatus.

In more recent years, Rogers was the main engine for the Miracles, trademarking the name and nurturing the legacy as he toured North America and Europe under the group’s banner.
    “He wanted that to be something he was remembered for: keeping the Miracles’ name alive,” said Barker.

Funeral arrangements have not been set. Check back to the Free Press for updated details.

This makes me sad. So many of the greats passing on. Each day we have is a gift. May he rest in peace.

Penny

I am in shock! I remember meeting him at a show in Youngstown a few years back. And what a surprise that we were seated at the next table to him for breakfast the following morning! They didn't come any nicer!
    Sincere sympathy to his family..........

thomas96 Guest
    Very sad! Rest in peace Bobby. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    NEW: "Bobby will be missed and mourned by many," his cousin and fellow group member says
    Rogers was one of the original Miracles, a cornerstone group of Motown
    Rogers was "my brother," singer Smokey Robinson says
    The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2012

[[CNN) -- Bobby Rogers, an original member of Motown staple The Miracles, has died, the group's longtime front man Smokey Robinson announced Sunday.

Rogers was 73.

"Another soldier in my life has fallen," Robinson said in a statement to CNN. "Bobby Rogers was my brother and a really good friend. He and I were born on the exact same day in the same hospital in Detroit. I am really going to miss him. I loved him very much."

Claudette Robinson, another member of the Miracles, said that while Rogers was her cousin, he was more "like a brother to me." On her website, she said he died around 6:30 a.m. Sunday.

"Bobby will be missed and mourned by many," said Robinson, who was once married to Smokey Robinson and serves as the Miracles spokeswoman. "Rest in peace, my brother of 'song.' "

Robinson, Rogers and the rest of the Miracles were a cornerstone act for writer-producer Berry Gordy's infant Motown Records, putting songs such as "Shop Around," "Tracks of My Tears" and "The Tears of a Clown" on the R&B and pop charts throughout the 1960s. After Robinson left the group, the Miracles had a No. 1 hit with "Love Machine" in 1976.

When the group disbanded in the late 1970s, Rogers started an interior design business. The Miracles were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2012.

Temptations' Damon Harris dies

Such sad news, especially coming so soon after the two recent Temps' that passed.

Does anyone know if he and Wanda remained close or friends? Is she healthy enough herself that she will understand his passing and perhaps attend the services?

This is very sad. Bobby was soooo cool though.

Rest in Peace, Bobby Rogers, farewell, and thank you - for your part in Motown's premier star act, and the shaping of what has long been, and shall long still be known as "The Sound of Young America".
    Last edited by Ngroove; 03-04-2013 at 02:22 AM.

Really sad news,again one of the nicest guys i ever met in the entertainment world,R.I.P My brother,you really were something Mr Rogers,my heart goes out to his Family

RIP Bobby Rogers. He truly was a good guy. One of the kindest gentlemen you would meet from Motown.

Thanks for posting these great photos of The Miracles on the advent of Bobby Rogers' passing. I'm so sorry to hear about his death; for me The Miracles will always be the foundation of the Motown empire. Rest in peace Bobby.

I just had to share this one here........

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...founder-Rogers

A funeral is planned Monday for singer-songwriter Bobby Rogers, a founding member of Motown group the Miracles and a songwriting collaborator with Smokey Robinson. Rogers died Sunday at his home in Southfield. Family members say the cause of death was complications from diabetes. He was 73.

The service will begin at 11 a.m. at Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church, 2080 W. Grand Blvd., in Detroit. Visitation will run from 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday at James H. Cole Home for Funerals at its Northwest Chapel, 16100 Schaefer Highway. Burial is planned at Woodlawn Cemetery in Detroit.

Rogers formed the Miracles in 1956 with cousin Claudette Rogers, Pete Moore, Ronnie White and Robinson. The group's 1960 song "Shop Around" was Motown's first No. 1 R&B hit single and the company's first million-selling hit song. Other hits included "You've Really Got a Hold on Me," "The Tracks of My Tears," "I Second That Emotion" and "The Tears of a Clown." Rogers co-wrote many songs with Robinson: the Miracles' hit "Going to a Go-Go"; "First I Look at the Purse," recorded by the Contours; "The Way You Do the Things You Do" by the Temptations; and Marvin Gaye's "Ain't That Peculiar."

Rogers is survived by his wife, Joan; children Bobbae Rogers, Gina Hughes, Kimberly Hughes, and Robert Rogers III; and granddaughter Brandi Williams of the R&B singing group Blaque. His daughter Robin Yopp preceded him in death.

Associated Press contributed.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2MgnrHmKI

If you go to the source of the above link, you'll see the first comment after the article is by G.C. Cameron.

What a lovely man Bobby Rogers was. Isn't it interesting that the Miracles were one of the few groups [[I guess the 4 Tops also) who didn't fall apart as a result of so many scandals, drugs, etc.?

Didn't he have more children with Wanda Young? His obits only mention the ones he had with Joan. This has not been an easy time. Losing two Temps, a Staple Singer and a Miracle all in a two week span. At least, I can take comfort in knowing there in eternal peace.

There are just no words.....Bobby's spirit touched so much of my life.

Don't Let It End, Until You Let It Begin my friend....

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Didn't he have more children with Wanda Young? His obits only mention the ones he had with Joan. This has not been an easy time. Losing two Temps, a Staple Singer and a Miracle all in a two week span. At least, I can take comfort in knowing there in eternal peace.
    I think they had a child or two... I think that Blaque singer is his and Wanda's grandchild.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    On the cover of "The Season for Miracles" Bobby and Wanda have 3 children in their laps, one of whom looks to be practically a newborn. Wanda of course looks gorgeous as always; in fact, she's wearing a tiara in the photo!

I just stumbled across this clip on YouTube.

Bobby is showing Tom Meros around Detroit. The school he went to [[Cass Tech), the hospital he and Smokey were born and off course, Hitsville:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LZKoOnbE6Jk

Hollywood's tribute to Bobby Rogers:

This is such sad news. I am so sorry and send my sincere condolences to Mr Roger's family and loved ones.

Penny