[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Let's hope that Harry and his entire team's jobs are even better following this takeover than before. They do great work and deserve it.
    Last edited by calvin; 07-05-2013 at 02:01 AM.

I am reminded of a Gamble and Huff tune sung by Mr. Teddy Pendergast when it comes to Hipo Select. "The More I Get, the More I Want". The past three years have been off the charts as far as releases from Hipo, Kent, David Nathans Soul Music Label, therefore I will appreciate what is out there, because one never knows when we will run into another dry spell.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Let's hope that Harry and his entire team's jobs are even better following this takeover than before. They do great work and deserve it.
    Does anyone know if Hippo Select has just slowed down or if there will not be anymore deluxe editions in the future? I sure hope there will be more. I have bought most of all of the Motown deluxe editions. I was so looking forward to "Baby It's Me".

alanbill1074 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Does anyone know if Hippo Select has just slowed down or if there will not be anymore deluxe editions in the future? I sure hope there will be more. I have bought most of all of the Motown deluxe editions. I was so looking forward to "Baby It's Me".
    If you haven't already e-mailed Universal [[see earlier posts) about BIM then please do so. They need to see evidence there is demand for the release or it looks unlikely to happen in the forseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by alanbill1074 View Post
    If you haven't already e-mailed Universal [[see earlier posts) about BIM then please do so. They need to see evidence there is demand for the release or it looks unlikely to happen in the forseeable future.
    I will email them also. I miss the releases and things seemed to be going so well.

Penny

FYI from another thread: Originally Posted by pghmusiclover How does one "reach out to Universal" these days? They are so huge that I have no idea where to write at this point. Any recommendations?
    feel free to email us at classic.motown@umusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    FYI from another thread: Originally Posted by pghmusiclover How does one "reach out to Universal" these days? They are so huge that I have no idea where to write at this point. Any recommendations?
    feel free to email us at classic.motown@umusic.com
    Thank you. I have emailed them a few weeks ago about "Baby its me" They never did respond. Has hippo released anything new since the Martha and Four Tops 50 anniversary cds?

It looks like it has slowed down but we have a lot of good music we never thought we'd get and enough to listen to for a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It looks like it has slowed down but we have a lot of good music we never thought we'd get and enough to listen to for a lifetime.
    I second that [[e)motion!, I was listening to the [[Detroit)Spinners set from Kent the other day. I had not played it since I listened to it upon purchase. There are some good songs on it! My point being that if 20 years ago, you told me we would get one release a year of this quality, I would have been "over the moon".

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    This is true. I never dreamed we would have all that we do have. But I want more!! I especially wanted the Diana Ross collection completed as well as the Supremes. I was getting kinda spoiled.

With the influx of so many artists and labels under the UME family, it appears that the Hip-o-Select concept has been tabled/killed. Major announcements seem to come here:

http://www.universalmusicenterprises.com/

and attempts to sell Motown re-issues here:

http://classic.motown.com/#!all

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    With the influx of so many artists and labels under the UME family, it appears that the Hip-o-Select concept has been tabled/killed. Major announcements seem to come here:

http://www.universalmusicenterprises.com/

and attempts to sell Motown re-issues here:

http://classic.motown.com/#!all
    I'm afraid I don't see or understand any major announcements.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    I'm afraid I don't see or understand any major announcements.
    That's the point- there are no announcements about upcoming Motown - the company's emphasis has shifted to its recently acquired labels and their artists.
    Motown and its artists appears to be way, way down at the bottom of the ladder. At best, we'll probably get an occasional icon or greatest hit release.

Carole, I don't know your sources of course, but I don't think we can be sure of anything at this point. The transaction is still new and seem to have triggered some restructuring of the company. These things may take some time, and during the meantime many things are kept on hold. And remember: it's summer. The executives have vacation, I think we'll get a better picture of where we're heading after the executives have returned from their summer holidays.

the bottom line is $$$$..so in the meantime, everyone should buy something they've been holding off on buying./.let some action show up in the daily reports..THAT'S what they pay attention to.. it is called the music BUSINESS!!!.. especially all those who were saying "I'm not buying this, I'm not buying that.." on this board.. at the time I said, keep up all the posturing and negatives and the flow of product will stop.. well, guess what?

Is TCMS 12b in jeopardy?

Jim L, I hear you. For example Volume 1 of TCMS was released we'll say in 2004. With a run of on the high side of 10,000 limited edition copies. Almost 10 years later Hip-O is sitting on inventory on all the subsequent volumes except for Vol 6 which sold out. Honestly, the booklet alone has serious value, and it cost a lot to produce it. So to answer your question 144man, I would say we may not see 12b. When you have the Mary Wells set with all of the unreleased material, tied into the release of an new book, released in time for the year end holidays and it doesn't sell out. The powers that be unfortunately have to figure that there is more profitability in releasing an "Icon Series", or yet another Greatest hits collection. To us at this site "it's the same old song". But everyday there are folks out there who are just discovering these artists, and buying these "new" releases.

My question would be, how many were OK with the Isley Brothers set which was not released on Hipo, but was I felt, very skimpy on the details. In other words would you be interested in getting the product, but getting less in terms of the production of the package, a black and white package, without glossy paper, one writers notes, no 45 rpm record?

Unfortunately, Universal/Hip-O Select has dragged its feet in the promotion of these products. Aside from these boards and through people on facebook, where else do you see these expanded editions getting promoted? I remember at one time they used to advertise in Goldmine, but as of now I know of nothing. There are people who don't belong to these boards who are just now finding out about the expanded editions including the sets that came out nearly 10 years ago. They print less and less copies feeling they won't sell, but they don't realize that you have to promote this stuff in order to sell your product. Word of mouth doesn't always work. If Universal invested a little into the promotion of these releases they would see these expanded releases are worth continuing.

The last item I purchased from a brick and motor store was during the Lost and Found Series intro. 98-ish, maybe 99, those purchases were generated from an article I read somewhere. Since then, it has all been online purchases. I have Hipo as one of my favorite sites, to keep up with new releases, and of course this site among others. What if I did not own a computer?

Harry Weinger 's Twitter postings of the last few days have been hopeful.
    He acknowledges that the 'Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing And Perform Funny Girl' is being "worked on". Whether that means working to get it on the release schedule or actually working on an expanded edition is unclear.
    He has also received an invitation from a "Billboard Magazine" representative to chat about a possible story.
    And Harry & Andy have invited the originator of http://dianarossproject.wordpress.com/
    to New York to write a piece about Diana Ross reissues and the "surprises in the vaults".
    Although 2013 has been slow on the Motown Select front following the merger with EMI, it looks as if 2014 may possibly be full speed ahead [[fingers crossed).

Thank you for the update.

Hopefully, Baby It's Me is released before they are doing too much work on Funny Girl. Seems to me that Funny Girl is going to be one of the releases that will attract the least attention unless many of the hardcore want it and actually buy it.

Harry Weinger 's Twitter postings of the last few days have been hopeful.
    ).
    What is Harry's Twitter name?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    What is Harry's Twitter name?
    harry weinger

And Andy Skurow [[on Facebook) has stated that the deluxe editions are just on hold, not cancelled. Andy is hopeful and waiting.......

And Andy Skurow [[on Facebook) has stated that the deluxe editions are just on hold, not cancelled. Andy is hopeful and waiting.......
    This is wonderful news. I am so happy to hear this. Can't wait for BIM.

Hip-O, Hip-O Horray!

SO happy to hear this!

and while waiting, buy something from what's out there, as I suggested a few posts above in this thread.. as I said, ..music BUSINESS...and money TALKS!!!...
    Last edited by Jimi LaLumia; 08-24-2013 at 02:55 PM.

This is really good news. Although 2014 is still a bit off I hope that many Motown releases come tolight. I for one am looking forward to “Funny Girl”. Will be nice to have thestereo and mono versions of the album J

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    I for one am looking forward to “Funny Girl”. Will be nice to have thestereo and mono versions of the album J
    Yes...it will be nice to have my ears bleed in mono AND stereo! Just kidding....my little joke about the Supremes "Funny Girl" LP.