[REMOVE ADS]

Rare Johnny Bristol Clip - "Hang On In There Baby" 1974

Johnny Bristol performing one of the coolest songs of the '70's, "Hang On in There Baby"!

That's from the Dutch TV show Top Pop. And HOLY CRAP!!! I've heard this song before, but had NO IDEA it was Johhny Bristol, I thought it was Al Wilson!

That was enjoyable to watch. I've always considered that song among about about a dozen other songs that were at the beginning of what would become the disco craze.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    That's from the Dutch TV show Top Pop. And HOLY CRAP!!! I've heard this song before, but had NO IDEA it was Johhny Bristol, I thought it was Al Wilson!
    Jill, Al Wilson [["the Snake")? bite you tongue! LOL! Johnny Bristol was truly one of a kind. He use to live just North of me in Brighton, MI and was the neighbor of one of my good friends. He was a really good guy I'm told. The song was just so cool and mellow and perfect for mid-70's radio as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    That was enjoyable to watch. I've always considered that song among about about a dozen other songs that were at the beginning of what would become the disco craze.
    When I look at these old clips I am always amazed by the fact that we actually dressed like that back in the day! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jill, Al Wilson [["the Snake")? bite you tongue! LOL! Johnny Bristol was truly one of a kind. He use to live just North of me in Brighton, MI and was the neighbor of one of my good friends. He was a really good guy I'm told. The song was just so cool and mellow and perfect for mid-70's radio as I recall.
    But on this song, he DOES sound like Al Wilson! Especially considering the type of songs that Al was releasing at the time. I LOVE Al Wilson, though... so that's never an insult! LOL Of course, at the time, I heard the song on AM radio... and you know, things aren't always as clear as they should be on AM radio. But compare.. you'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    But on this song, he DOES sound like Al Wilson! Especially considering the type of songs that Al was releasing at the time. I LOVE Al Wilson, though... so that's never an insult! LOL Of course, at the time, I heard the song on AM radio... and you know, things aren't always as clear as they should be on AM radio. But compare.. you'll see!

I understand. I am sure I have done it myself more than a few times. Back in the day, I almost thought Polly Brown was Jean Terrell with a new release and that British Soul group, Sweet Sensation [["Sad Sweet Dreamer") was Michael Jackson in terms of the sound off the radio.

Yet another rare Johnny Bristol 1974 clip posting?

Just kidding, Marv--it's very enjoyable. Thanks for posting it. I think Milven made a very astute observation about the early disco sound to it. Hadn't thought of it but I think he's right. A really very good tune, well-written and nicely produced. Even Bette Midler included a rendition on her THIGHS AND WHISPERS album way back when.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Yet another rare Johnny Bristol 1974 clip posting?

Just kidding, Marv--it's very enjoyable. Thanks for posting it. I think Milven made a very astute observation about the early disco sound to it. Hadn't thought of it but I think he's right. A really very good tune, well-written and nicely produced. Even Bette Midler included a rendition on her THIGHS AND WHISPERS album way back when.
    I like the double tracking of his voice. It works very well here. Also Johnny's phrasing and [[the changing, modulating of his voice) are impeccable!

Johnny Bristol who created so many archetyple examples of 'The Detroit Sound' in his brilliant Motown career went on to continued success by developing the distinctive 'Bristol ' sound. The song structures were instantly recognisable, the arrangements and instrumentation of a type, and he did an awful lot of double tracking - just as he did in "Hang On In There, Baby" He did a lot with baritones who had similar vocals to himself.

"La La Peace Song" by Al Wilson is just such an example - it was after all written and produced by Johnny Bristol ....and I wouldn't at all be surprised if it is Johnny himself doing the shadow vocal....

now take a listen of O.C. Smith, on the same "La La Peace Song", again written and produced by Johnny Bristol - is that Johnny in the background?

and Buddy Miles "I'm Just A Kiss Away" follows the same formula - double tracking etc...... is that Johnny accompanying, especially in the mid break?

And same formula...... Buddy Miles "Wants And Needs", again written and produced by Johnny....with double tracking........ In fact the entire "All The Faces" album is written and produced by Johnny Bristol, and you can clearly hear the "Hang On In There Baby" template.......

and another baritone, Jerry Butler, on "Memories Don't Leave Like People Do" - written and produced by Johnny Bristol..... is that Johnny doing the accompanying vocal?

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Johnny Bristol who created so many archetyple examples of 'The Detroit Sound' in his brilliant Motown career went on to continued success by developing the distinctive 'Bristol ' sound. The song structures were instantly recognisable, the arrangements and instrumentation of a type, and he did an awful lot of double tracking - just as he did in "Hang On In There, Baby" He did a lot with baritones who had similar vocals to himself.

"La La Peace Song" by Al Wilson is just such an example - it was after all written and produced by Johnny Bristol ....and I wouldn't at all be surprised if it is Johnny himself doing the shadow vocal....

now take a listen of O.C. Smith, on the same "La La Peace Song", again written and produced by Johnny Bristol - is that Johnny in the background?

I can't be 100% sure if it's Johnny doing the shadow vocals, but this record has Johnny's style all over it! O.C. Smith was also a great singer, but Johnny Bristol had a way of delivering a song that was special. Hard to describe it, i've been listening to him for so very long now.

and Johhny Bristol doing the same song "Memories Don't Leave Like People Do" on himself....double tracking to himself for sure!

I recall Johnny also cut a version of "Memories Don't Leave Like People Do" on Tom Jones. I am going to look for some of Johnny's stuff on Amazon.com now.

I totally agree Marv...that's exctly what I'm saying he had a distinctive sound, 'The Bristol Sound" was instantly identifiable, and nobody did it better than himself, but he was a fine producer on other artists.

And I vote his Margie Joseph compostitions / productions as being prime examples..... take a listen to this fabulous piece of art..."Come On Back To Me Lover"
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 02-22-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Yep, Tom Jones, another baritone....... frankly I find it rather unwieldy and inflexible, but my personal opinion only

I've always believed Johnny started the double tracking / background vocal thing with Jr Walker " What Does It Take"....

Might as well go the whole hog, as we are on a roll.......

I totally agree Marv...that's exctly what I'm saying he had a distinctive sound, 'The Bristol Sound" was instantly identifiable, and nobody did it better than himself, but he was a fine producer on other artists.
    Mike! I don't about you, but I could listen to Johnny Bristol's music [[his recordings and productions on others) all day! Especially on a day like today here where it is freezing out and snowy.

Might as well go the whole hog, as we are on a roll.......
    This one was always like a "time capsule" for me. I am pretty sure that my father bought this record when it came out. I remembered the song faintly before the Supremes version came out nearly 10 years later.

Marv, it's bloody freezing here too, so what better way to spoend an evening than listening to Johnny's work. Remember this one? He recorded it himself, but Boz Scaggs version is better known.... 'I Got Your Number".... with trademark double tracking...

love this, even though he didn't write it..... Barrett Strong did it first... Johnny really turns out a great version

Marv, it's bloody freezing here too, so what better way to spoend an evening than listening to Johnny's work. Remember this one? He recorded it himself, but Boz Scaggs version is better known.... 'I Got Your Number".... with trademark double tracking...
    Oh yeah I remember this one! Johnny made Boz Scaggs.........SANG! hehehehehehe! There is no doubt that it is Johnny Bristol on the background on this one! Also from '74 but so much different "Hang On in There Baby". Shows Johnny's versatility perfectly.

love this, even though he didn't write it..... Barrett Strong did it first... Johnny really turns out a great version

You know what's amazing? I did not pick up on this particular song when it was released. Living in America, I like so many others "lost" Johnny Bristol. We did not get to hear many of his later recordings. For me it seems odd because he actually only liked about 45 miles from me over in Brighton, Michigan until his passing. Why this happens to our great artists in the U.S. ,I cannot explain.

Well, he spent a fair bit of time in the UK in his later years where he was and still is hugely respected and continues to receive airplay to this day on the many soul stations we have here...

he did a ton of stuff with Ian Levine, one of which was "Man In The Sky" - he also did Earth Wind And Fire's "That's The Way" with his daughter....... I have always been somewhat puzzled as to why in later years, Johnny recorded other composer's songs, given his huge talents....

I've always believed Johnny started the double tracking / background vocal thing with Jr Walker " What Does It Take"....
    What is amazing and I had not remembered it until today and our discussion here, but Johnny Bristol also wrote/produced "A Walk In the Night" one of my all time favorites forJr. Walker and the Allstars!!

When I went to the San Jose Soul Jam, at least 80% of the audinece were hispanics, and they all, even the many young girls and guys, knew all the words of the songs. They were the bedrock of support for all those soul artists and they gave ecstatic receptions to them all. Without their support, their would be no Soul Jam..... I knew from youtube that the hipanics were very into soul, but it blew me way that practically the entire audience was hispanic, with immense familiarity and affection for the artists and their old records.

Teddie Morrow, who records with our Ralph and Russ, enjoys their support....

Well, he spent a fair bit of time in the UK in his later years where he was and still is hugely respected and continues to receive airplay to this day on the many soul stations we have here...

he did a ton of stuff with Ian Levine, one of which was "Man In The Sky" - he also did Earth Wind And Fire's "That's The Way" with his daughter....... I have always been somewhat puzzled as to why in later years, Johnny recorded other composer's songs, given his huge talents....
    It seems that many great U.S. artists are appreciated far more in the U.K. than they are at home. I can just imagine if all these great writers, producers and musicians were allowed to seriously continue in the U.S., perhaps producing more younger artists how much greater the music have today would have been. Sighhhhhhh

Yep terrific song..... as is "Gotta Hold on To This Feeling"

It seems that many great U.S. artists are appreciated far more in the U.K. than they are at home. I can just imagine if all these great writers, producers and musicians were allowed to seriously continue in the U.S., perhaps producing more younger artists how much greater the music have today would have been. Sighhhhhhh

Marv, it seems that many of the artists had to return to gospel where singing, harmony, melody and passion are still appreciated. Even Johnny was working on a gospel album when he passed......

...and I just love this one...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZt1LzrTqpQ

...and also the super version of the same song by Tavares

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgXnwPF5V6A

When I went to the San Jose Soul Jam, at least 80% of the audinece were hispanics, and they all, even the many young girls and guys, knew all the words of the songs. They were the bedrock of support for all those soul artists and they gave ecstatic receptions to them all. Without their support, their would be no Soul Jam..... I knew from youtube that the hipanics were very into soul, but it blew me way that practically the entire audience was hispanic, with immense familiarity and affection for the artists and their old records.

Teddie Morrow, who records with our Ralph and Russ, enjoys their support....
    About 20 years ago is when I learned that Mary Wells was there Queen! She was the ultimate singer in their opinion. Check this out:

http://www.chicano-magazine.com/marywells2.html
    Last edited by marv2; 02-22-2013 at 07:09 PM.

I can remember books saying that Be My Baby by the Ronettes was the perfect pop single but that honor IMO always went to Hang on In There Baby. I can remember thinking how loving, and musical this song is its hard to find productions like this anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I can remember books saying that Be My Baby by the Ronettes was the perfect pop single but that honor IMO always went to Hang on In There Baby. I can remember thinking how loving, and musical this song is its hard to find productions like this anymore.
    Stephanie, I have to admit that "Hang on In There Baby" sounds just as good today...to me, as it did when I was in Jr. High School and it was a brand new song.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    ...and I just love this one...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZt1LzrTqpQ

...and also the super version of the same song by Tavares

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgXnwPF5V6A
    Another great recording that received NO AIRPLAY in America!

Well here's another version by Johnny Mathis and it captures just what a great song this is

Johnny Mathis on Memories Don't Leave Like People Do

There is a comprehensive review of Johnny Mathis's album Heart Of A Woman produced by Johnny Bristol here. Even the players are credited, including one Dennis Coffey!

http://stereocandies.blogspot.co.uk/...oman-1974.html

Name:  Johnny Mathis - The Heart of a Woman - Front Cover Reconstruction.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  14.3 KB
    Name:  Johnny Mathis 2 - The Heart of a Woman - Back Cover Reconstruction.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  12.5 KB
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 02-23-2013 at 04:44 AM.

Performing "You And I" with lots of double tracking...

Hi Marv, here's one you may not know. Produced in England by Gus Dudgeon, [[Elton John's producer)written by Pennington and Gray, it was recorded in the UK and mastered here - the entire "Free To Be Me" album was mastered in the UK. The album features a song wirtten by UK's KikI Dee, closely connected with Elton and formerly on Motown. I guess this is the time when Johnny was forging his strong links with the UK.....

Hi!

There's info on "La La Peace Song" at
    http://www.soulexpress.net/o.c.smith_story.htm
    midway through.

Besides O.C. Smith, I also did the Al Wilson Story - a feature with interviews - for our printed papers in 2005, but it's too long [[14 pages) to read on the website. However, Al confirms that on La La "Johnny Bristol is singing after-lead."

Best regards
    Heikki

"Take Me Down" is a a song that is associated with one of my relationships that went wrong. It still pulls at my heart strings.

As if that song hasn't already cut me up something chronic...this next one finishes me off.

Hi Marv, here's one you may not know. Produced in England by Gus Dudgeon, [[Elton John's producer)written by Pennington and Gray, it was recorded in the UK and mastered here - the entire "Free To Be Me" album was mastered in the UK. The album features a song wirtten by UK's KikI Dee, closely connected with Elton and formerly on Motown. I guess this is the time when Johnny was forging his strong links with the UK.....
    Mike thank you! I did not know about this one or that he worked with Gus Dudgeon. Gus was also Mary Wilson's producer back in 1980.

Here's something else I did not know. Johnny cut a version of "Someday We'll Be Together" with Liz Lands. They sound good together. Check it out: