[REMOVE ADS]

Motown the Musical … invited?

WithGordy's "Motown: The Musical" scheduled to make its official Broadwaypremiere April 14, many Motown alumni are expected to gather for a specialperformance of the show April 5. Invitations went out last week to artists andformer staffers. [[Detroit Free Press, 31 January 13)
    What BrianMcCullom [[Detroit Free Press) failsto address in his minimalistic “glance over” and less than stellarnon-informative fluffy mention is exactly who BB sent these coveted “alumni”invites to … how many names appear on this list? Did BB personally select who was placed onhis preferential Motown Insiderlist to receive one of these invitations to Motownthe Musical? It should be noted that it is not the Motown Musical premieredate. But, it still is a BB selectinvitation.
    How manytickets? Is there a pre/post receptionfor mingling and photos? Did the alleged“300M net-worth” BB spend a few extra bucks to also include anyhotel/transportation costs? Even a“penny” discount at a hotel might help. Or, are Central Park benches/bathrooms; Greyhound 2-day tripper withdoor to Central Park transport the reality forany of the “losers” that might have inadvertentlyreceived an invite?

NYC has soupkitchens available for meals. Hopeunwashed jeans and a t-shirts do not offend BB, Sony executives or any of thewell-dressed alumni who attend this one-night stand.

Jobete Rob viamost of his posts or ongoing rants seems to have a fetish for labeling manyalums with the dubious distinction of being losers, beggars, has-beens ornever-were. Some have been labeled as lesserknown Motown rejects.

Perhaps, Roberthas a preconception of what constitutes a Motown “loser” or “reject” who isalways looking for a handout from a decent “family man” like the former “Chairmanof the Board” BB.

Perhaps a few ofthe displaced freeloading Motown alum losers accidently invited might also beable to locate and solve the mystery surrounding the MIA McCartneymillion-dollar fundraising restored Steinway and play an impromptu concert inCentral Park. And that would be trulyawesome. However, Central Park does not allow panhandling so it has to be a freebie concert.
    Posters whothink that Motown alums living and deceased, the City of Detroit and Detroiters should simply look theother way when it comes to fiscal matters seem to have acavalier attitude about the responsibility a charity has to the public.
    Detroit’s Motown heart was removed and itresides in LA and NYC. Detroitwas left with literally nothing but some history, a few decrepit buildings andempty promises that a Motown Center or another Motownproject would be resurrected to secure its music history and its musicfuture.
    Motownexecutives and BB need to return Detroit’sheart and … music soul. Detroitneeds Motown to “pay it forward” with kindness, actual charitable accountabilityfor funding and programming and provide a detailed future for how Motown willremain an integral part of Detroit’smusic renaissance.

Detroit already “paid it forward” to Motownand BG. It’s owed more than inferiorexhibits that are announced and show up 18-24 months later.

Ralph … mydePasse on you was not literally dePassed on you. Your tumultuous relationship with this BBnon-original wannabe but never was an authentic Motown diva is understandable.

Hell, she is the ultimate pathetic BBcling-on woman. The post was notpersonally attacking you as that was not the issue. It was your dePassing my posts. But … good for you. It turned into a real love fest. And that is a positive especially on ablogging site.

Other posts on thedePasse thread are either inconsequential or insignificant. Therefore, none requires a directedresponse.

Apologies for run together words. [[program issue.)

Would you like to invite the entire city of Detroit to the premiere and have Mr Gordy pay for it. Would that make you happy mirage?

Mr Gordy moved Motown which was HIS own company that he build from scratch to Los Angeles 40 plus years ago. Dont you think you need to move on? It isnt real healthy to be harboring a grudge against a man whos music give so much pleasure to millions of people.

Roberta

Ok, somebody's gotta ask: Diana AND Mary??????

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Ok, somebody's gotta ask: Diana AND Mary??????
    We know this is important to Berry and I'm sure lots of Motown alumni want to be there and will be there. I'm sure Diana and Mary are invited, but it all depends on their own plans and who will show up. We all know Berry is the only one who can bring them together and if he wants the both of them there then we'll have to wait and see if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

We know this is important to Berry and I'm sure lots of Motown alumni want to be there and will be there. I'm sure Diana and Mary are invited, but it all depends on their own plans and who will show up. We all know Berry is the only one who can bring them together and if he wants the both of them there then we'll have to wait and see if it happens.
    I think Mary Wilson already publicly said she is going!

It'll be exciting. It'll open up a whole new world to Motown.

Mirage: If you are legitimate Motown Alumni, I apologize if you feel I labelled you or someone else a loser. But I will say, in the end, each of us, Berry, Diana, Mary, Roberta, Ralph, Marv2, Brad, John Lester, and all of the other participants on this forum have to look after ourselves and be responsible for ourselves. Perhaps that really is why Diana and Marvin and Gladys bailed on Motown.

But I remind you, someone else that WAS THERE, Bob Ohlsson, recently publicly posted that Motown's contracts were more generous than most out there in the day.

Perhaps Motown would have remained a force in music for much longer had it stayed in Detroit; and perhaps it wouldn't have.

I was invited, but after flight costs and New York expenses, I decided to pass. I spoke with Harry Balk, and he is going, which pleases me.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I was invited, but after flight costs and New York expenses, I decided to pass. I spoke with Harry Balk, and he is going, which pleases me.
    Glad to hear you were invited, Ralph! Sorry to hear you won't be there, but it's good hear to invites included those who worked behind the scenes to help make Motown a success.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Ralph, I cannot blame you unless this was planned long in advance and included a week long vacation in NYC. The costs have gone crazy [[hotels,flights, ground transportation etc ) in just last 10 years!

The VELVELETTES will be there.

Sounds like many people from the past will be there.

I guess one unanswered question is Will Diana? I bet she'll be on tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Would you like to invite the entire city of Detroit to the premiere and have Mr Gordy pay for it. Would that make you happy mirage?

Mr Gordy moved Motown which was HIS own company that he build from scratch to Los Angeles 40 plus years ago. Dont you think you need to move on? It isnt real healthy to be harboring a grudge against a man whos music give so much pleasure to millions of people.

Roberta
    Roberta… exactly how many of your personalities have you registered on this site?

I’mnot a psychiatrist or psychologist. Evenif I was, I’m not sure how helpful it would be to try and deal with meldingyour possible multiple personalities into one. Or, maybe you simply are a multiple poster-a-holic with a possiblejournalism connection and you use various names to post and answeryourself. Can one of you please stepforward and clarify as to which personality or poster disorder you have?

But,albeit what do I know about split-quad personalities or using multiple posternames? Most posters on thissite, including myself, assume only one postingpersona … their own.

Andif I was a journalist with high ethical and moral standards as would beexpected of me in this profession, I certainly would not be posting on thissite; browsing the site for content or for a story – yes. Posting on a blog site … never.

Asfar as demanding that every Detroiter is provided theatre tickets, hotel andtransportation on BG’s expense account … ludicrous statement as made by one ofyou. But, God bless you for thinkingthat I am that noble.

EvenJobeterob has standards. I appreciateand accept his apology for his insensitive postings which haveinsinuated that many Motown alumni are beggars, losers and are only looking forhandouts. Step in the right directionfor those Motown alumni that will and should always be considered family.

Ralphsorry that you will not be part of the Motown alumni festivities due to thehigh end NYC costs, but never fear maybe Billy Wilson, Motown Alumni-Not, will getan invite from the dePasse diva that never was original Motown either. Guess when an individual gets into bed withthe right person their chances of coattail success goes up in value. Such tight relationships seem to oftentimestry to circumvent history. But, Motownhistory and its music will survive despite the constant rewrites.

Wonder if Tony Turner and the count were invited?

Quote Originally Posted by mirage View Post
    [FONT="Times New Roman"][COLOR=#00000]Roberta… exactly how many of your personalities have you registered on this site?
    I think she is down to 2 perhaps 3. All of her others have been banned.

Let's leave this one alone, guys. Thanks.

Is Diana going?

Or if she does, will it turn it into a clusteryouknowwhat? So, she'll stay away?

revvy Guest
    I am going there the 3rd night of previews and will report back IMMEDIATELY! I'm sure it will be a HUGE success. Like it was stated earlier, Berry Gordy does not attach his name to something that won't be a runaway hit. I am BEYOND THRILLED!